• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Awesome, thanks for all the info. Now I have another title to add to my get-list. If only NOJ and NOA treated their old school fans as well as Sega has with their Ages series.

edit: 3D cel shaded shop icons, batwings and a screen filling lazer = ca-razy!

TheSonicRetard said:
It was one of the first Sega Ages titles released on the PS2. It's also on the only Sega Ages compilation to come to the US and UK.

quick video of the new items

There are also 4 unlockable new levels. In the fantasy zone remake, enemies drop red coins in addition to the normal coins. These don't get added to your currency, but instead to tallied up when you get game over. Over multiple playthroughs, you can use this money to buy additional songs, unlock the soundtrack, unlock new items in the shop, buy new stages, and unlock new features (like rapid fire and continue). This is easily the best game in the Sega Classics Collection.

Any impressions on Reel Fishing Challenge?

If my Wii was connected I'd take the plunge. The damn wireless router has a lock now. :/ Had to disconnect when it got repaired/replaced, so it very likely doesn't affect you if you were connected prior.

Jiggy

Somnid said:
One of the best reasonings I've heard for there not being VC on DSi is that Nintendo is waiting for the points to expire and trying to promote DSiWare first VC second. This is to force players into trying something they ordinarily wouldn't
How about trusting that great software will build consumer confidence and good will so players choose to buy games they ordinarily wouldn't? Worked on me marvelously in 2005, 2006, and 2007 with the string of DS, DS, and VC releases respectively.

Meanwhile, here in 2009, the thought that what you're suggesting is so much as a possibility holds me back from purchases I would otherwise go for.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Tiktaalik said:
Didn't Reggie flat out deny a DSi VC store?

DSi should/would have Virtual Handheld, not Virtual Console, though.

(It's a pity they can't simply call it Virtual Boy...)

Somnid

Jiggy said:
How about trusting that great software will build consumer confidence and good will so players choose to buy games they ordinarily wouldn't? Worked on me marvelously in 2005, 2006, and 2007 with the string of DS, DS, and VC releases respectively.

Meanwhile, here in 2009, the thought that what you're suggesting is so much as a possibility holds me back from purchases I would otherwise go for.

Because it's downloadable and it scares the shit outta some people. No amount of good software will overcome some of those barriers, people have to be exposed to it. Kinda reminds me of my sister and her iPod Touch, "Did you know you can download a whole bunch of cool stuff?!?" apparently she never felt there was any reason to look because she didn't really understand it until someone walked her through it.

But if you want to go around spreading the good word and telling all these schmucks to shut up and actually go out an try some of these games, whether Wiiware, DSiWare or lesser known VC games then by all means because in this perfect world where everybody acts like Jiggy your idea makes sense. Unfortunately, there's millions of others who remain ignorant and need the carrot on the stick.

In the end it's still speculation though, but I still think that targeting you and me is a stupid idea and that a blanket awareness approach is a lot smarter than thinking the games will speak for themselves. Only on rare occasions does that happen.

In other news:

Japan released:

VC:
Tantei Jinguuji Saburo: Toki no Sugiyuku Mama ni (NES)
Marvel Land (ARC)

Wiiware:
Licca-chan Oshare House (Tomy, 1000pts)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals: My Life as a Dark Lord (Square-Enix, 1000pts + DLC)
Unou Kids: Okigare Unou Training (IE Institute, 800pts)

Tommorow on DSiWare:
Puzzle Iroiro: Gekkan Crossword Puzzle Vol. 2 (Nintendo, 500pts)
Mahou Ujin to Image Keisan (IE Institute, 200pts)

I can't wait for MLaaDL. Downloadable content dosen't bother me as long as it's handled like MLaaK was.

MLaaK was a full, completley enjoyable game by itself. After your initial purchase IF you really enjoyed what you were playing and wanted to extend that fun you could pay for more content. If not you weren't stuck with a gimped game.

Rune, did MLaaK also lock out spells? I mean, extra weapons and clothes are something that I can understand, but actually locking out one of the base spells of Final Fantasy just seems a tad overkill.

I think there was one Spell tree unlocked through DLC for each mage class (black/white). If I remember right Black mages got the lightning tree and White mages got Haste/Slow ect. The usual Final Fantasy spell weakness strategy didn't really apply because most enemies die to the Fire spells, Lightning spells are optional, and there aren't any Ice spells.

It just added more depth to an already great game. I played through more than half the game without any DLC, completley enjoying myself, and the only reason I bit was because I wanted to extend the experince
and I wanted to see Chimes boobs

Jiggy

Somnid said:
[...] I still think that targeting you and me is a stupid idea and that a blanket awareness approach is a lot smarter than thinking the games will speak for themselves.
There's nothing mutually exclusive about creating a portable Virtual Console and giving away 1000 points for the sake of spreading awareness.

Capndrake

OFLC update:

-Detana!! Twinbee (TG, Konami)
-Final Fight 2 (SNES, Capcom)
-LIT (WiiWare, WayForward)
-Mahjong (WiiWare, Cosmico)
-Phantasy Star (SMS, Sega)
-The Revenge of Shinobi (MD, Sega)
-TV Show King 2 (WiiWare, Gameloft)

Also, Hudson removed Detana!! Twinbee and Bomberman '94 from their upcoming games for Europe, obviously they weren't meant to reveal the Hanabi Festival in advance :D

Somnid

Jiggy said:
There's nothing mutually exclusive about creating a portable Virtual Console and giving away 1000 points for the sake of spreading awareness.

Take a look at the most popular VC games. Throwing 20 years of Mario classics and giving people free points to download them with isn't helping the problem. They need to get people to try a few DSiWare first because those are the ones that are going to have more trouble selling and are more important in the long run.

Rlan

Capndrake said:
OFLC update:

-Detana!! Twinbee (TG, Konami)
-Final Fight 2 (SNES, Capcom)
-LIT (WiiWare, WayForward)
-Mahjong (WiiWare, Cosmico)
-Phantasy Star (SMS, Sega)
-The Revenge of Shinobi (MD, Sega)
-TV Show King 2 (WiiWare, Gameloft)

Also, Hudson removed Detana!! Twinbee and Bomberman '94 from their upcoming games for Europe, obviously they weren't meant to reveal the Hanabi Festival in advance :D

Mind copying and pasting your OFLC page link? The page is all done fucked in terms of dates.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
Is it okay if I continue to post about how great Boxlife is? :D
how about some MFC for a change? : )

how does one s-rank 1-3 and 1-6? i feel humiliated.

Jazzem

Final Fight 2 eh? :) That worth picking up?

Also great to see Revenge of Shinobi going on the VC. What a gem of a game that is, enemy ninjas jumping out of water and all!

Just got Boxlife today.

Hoooooly shit, my brain hurts. Im trying to get it down, but damn, I guess Im not as good with puzzle games as I thought I was. :lol

Any tips at all for this game? It took me 4 tries before I earned money in Factory...well, 4 *saved* tries, anyway. I have reset alot, and I hate to do that.

Jiggy

Somnid said:
Take a look at the most popular VC games. Throwing 20 years of Mario classics and giving people free points to download them with isn't helping the problem. They need to get people to try a few DSiWare first because those are the ones that are going to have more trouble selling and are more important in the long run.
There would be nothing stopping them from releasing non-Mario, non-Zelda games at first; they could release games like Adventures of Lolo, Mole Mania, Gargoyle's Quest, or Shantae. If Square-Enix was willing to allow it, they could release Dragon Warrior Monsters. Because of their pretty low levels of recognition (or low outside Japan, in the case of Dragon Quest), none of these games would be likely to sway the kinds of audiences you're described--people scared by the idea of downloadable games or unaware of their existence--away from DSiWare and toward a portable Virtual Console.

Jazzem said:
Final Fight 2 eh? :) That worth picking up?

it was one of the better brawlers of that era. though i would prefer it if capcom simply just gave a better port of the first Final Fight. None of the Final Fight sequels come close to the first. (which is, i must add, one of my favorite games of all time... too bad the series kind of faded into nowhere after street fighter 2)

Somnid

Jiggy said:
There would be nothing stopping them from releasing non-Mario, non-Zelda games at first; they could release games like Adventures of Lolo, Mole Mania, Gargoyle's Quest, or Shantae. If Square-Enix was willing to allow it, they could release Dragon Warrior Monsters. Because of their pretty low levels of recognition (or low outside Japan, in the case of Dragon Quest), none of these games would be likely to sway the kinds of audiences you're described--people scared by the idea of downloadable games or unaware of their existence--away from DSiWare and toward a portable Virtual Console.

I was actually thinking about this, that would probably be a good way to handle it.

zigg

blu said:
how about some MFC for a change? : )

how does one s-rank 1-3 and 1-6? i feel humiliated.

*checks DSi* well, for 1-6, one doesn't ;)

Seriously, though, I am a bit down on the S-ranking in that game. It basically requires you to completely memorize your path through, and never make even a slight misstep. That becomes particularly troubling later; I kept finding myself one or two pixels off and pushing a direction that wasn't working. Bye-bye S.

I decided I was happy enough to complete them, and maybe go for A or B. :)

biggyfries said:
Any tips at all for this game? It took me 4 tries before I earned money in Factory...well, 4 *saved* tries, anyway. I have reset alot, and I hate to do that.

Play R&D until the patterns are burned into your brain. Think of it as the box company sending you off for training :)

(Seriously though, can you get money subtracted in Factory? Or does it just zero if your expenses are higher than your profits?)

sfog

Hero of Legend said:
I think you'll be interested in a WiiWare game that just got rated by the ESRB...

Mr. Driller W Fuck yes!!!

In addition to that, Arkanoid Plus!, Diner Dash, and Magnetis have also been ESRB rated.

Hero of Legend said:
I think you'll be interested in a WiiWare game that just got rated by the ESRB...

Mr. Driller W Fuck yes!!!
igzsck.gif

dallow_bg

nods at old men
biggyfries said:
Just got Boxlife today.

Hoooooly shit, my brain hurts. Im trying to get it down, but damn, I guess Im not as good with puzzle games as I thought I was. :lol

There's no need to reset.
This is my strategy for Factory.

Move up a couple lines right at the start (enough so the paper doesn't fall)
Start cutting patterns from the bottom up and try to not leave extras hanging if you can.
Wait until bombs start dropping on your already precut boxes and then close them up.

On later levels when bombs start dropping more rapidly, try to combo them.
I wait until one bomb is about to blow and start closing that one, then the next closest, and so on, getting sweet bomb and combo rewards.

If I see that I'm going to a lose a lot of paper, or a bunch of bombs are about to go off, just end the game. Hit start and get your money. Penalties are harsh to better to quit than lost a lot of paper.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
*checks DSi* well, for 1-6, one doesn't ;)

Seriously, though, I am a bit down on the S-ranking in that game. It basically requires you to completely memorize your path through, and never make even a slight misstep. That becomes particularly troubling later; I kept finding myself one or two pixels off and pushing a direction that wasn't working. Bye-bye S.
oh yes, there's that moment too. but i thought there were the occasional 'clever' s-solution to some of those levels - i belive i've used some 'non-orthodox' paths when s-ranking some of the other levels, but i don't remember which levels and what paths in particular.

I decided I was happy enough to complete them, and maybe go for A or B. :)
well, i'm currenly in that mode at set 2 : )

(Seriously though, can you get money subtracted in Factory? Or does it just zero if your expenses are higher than your profits?)
as somebody who's messed up a lot at the factory, i can guarantee you that the lowest you can get is zero.

I hope for boxlife or mario and donkey or memo tonight. :)

NemRem is awesome as well. But it is really damn hard. Especially stage 5++

Capndrake

EU update of Hanabi Festival 4!

VC:
-Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen (SNES import, Square Enix, 900 points)
-Pulseman (Mega Drive import, Sega, 900 points)

WiiWare:
-Bit Boy!! (Bplus, 600 points)
-Gradius Rebirth (Konami, 600 points)

DSiWare:
-Brain Challenge (Gameloft, 800 points)
-Mario Calculator (Nintendo, 200 points)
-Mario Clock (Nintendo, 200 points)

Capndrake said:

VC:
-Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen (SNES import, Square Enix, 900 points)

WiiWare:

DSiWare:

Update of Holy Shit AWESOME! OP update coming in a few moments, shortly followed by a new thread for July.

Pulseman!!!

Its so unfair, I hope that the US gets this soon!

Oh, and we better get Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem and Earthbound/Mother in the next few weeks NOE!!!

Hobbun

Capndrake said:

VC:

WiiWare:

DSiWare:

Damn! If EU is getting OB imported, we better see Terranigma!

Jazzem

Loving the VC update :D Makes up for a very disappointing DSiWare. Either Boxlife, Mario vs Donkey Kong or Mighty Flip Champs had better be released next week!

As a shooter fan, is Gradius worth it for 600 points? Might make it my first Wii shop Gradius download. I gifted the first game to a friend for his birthday, and neither of us could get past the first stage :lol
...damn volcano :(

EDIT: Thinking about it, Gradius at 600 points could be a mistake. They did something similar with Lords of Thunder which was 600 instead of 800 for one day (I snapped it up at the former price :D). Hopefully they won't increase the price.

Also; I hope this means we'll get Contra Rebirth soon!

Top Bottom