• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Super Mario Kart AND Boy and His Blob?????

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GeekyDad

:( Ahh...I feel like a dog waiting for his master to come home. Still no ReBirth. After reading the article about it in the latest issue of NP, I kind of assumed the game would hit today. So sad...

GeekyDad said:
:( Ahh...I feel like a dog waiting for his master to come home. Still no ReBirth. After reading the article about it in the latest issue of NP, I kind of assumed the game would hit today. So sad...

Considering that in Japan it was released exactly 20 years after the gameboy CV title, I bet it will come out it will come out sometime in December since CV: The Adventure came out in December 1989 in North America.

toythatkills said:
This keeps happening. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Is the original ABAHB worth getting, or is the Wii version enough?

The original is good but really hard since you need to properly ration the jellybeans or else you won't be able to beat the game.

So, I'd venture that this is all that's left for Nintendo first-party titles?

NES
Pro Wrestling

Super NES
Earthbound
Pilotwings
Super Play Action Football

N64
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Pilotwings 64
Super Smash Bros.

Maybe I'll have to write up a list for another publisher.

Shiggy

Cheesemeister said:
So, I'd venture that this is all that's left for Nintendo first-party titles?

NES
Pro Wrestling

Super NES
Earthbound
Pilotwings
Super Play Action Football

N64
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Pilotwings 64
Super Smash Bros.

Maybe I'll have to write up a list for another publisher.

N64:
Diddy Kong Racing
Mischief Makers
Custom Robo
Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics
Dr. Mario 64

+ a few games published by Nintendo (e.g. Rare titles which will never see a VC release)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
or Starfox, or Stunt Racer FX.

Damn double post, all my fault. Anyways Super Mario RPG was overall a much harder game to get working properly on emulator and that's been released so there's pretty much no reason to suspect that they can't do at the very least the FX-1 games.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Do we have reason to believe they won't get to Super FX when they run out of the rest?

I can imagine it'd be more involved than implementing Controller Pak or Rumble Pak support for N64 titles. *cough*

Shiggy said:
N64:
Diddy Kong Racing contains MS-owned characters
Mischief Makers was originally published by Enix
Custom Robo was not released in North America
Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics is licensed
Dr. Mario 64 was made obsolete by Dr. Mario on WiiWare

Those titles seem rather doubtful.

how playable is boy & his blob? I remember having fun as a kid screwing around with jelly beans, but if I recall correctly there may have been some Game Genie involved.

Is the game actually playable/enjoyable? Or does it suffer from that old balls-to-the-wall hard NES symptom? I was a little burned on my Zelda 2 purchase.

Teknoman

Hmm wonder if Castlevania will hit any time soon. You'd think after advertising for the game on the Nintendo Channel show, the release date would be near.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
how playable is boy & his blob? I remember having fun as a kid screwing around with jelly beans, but if I recall correctly there may have been some Game Genie involved.

Is the game actually playable/enjoyable? Or does it suffer from that old balls-to-the-wall hard NES symptom? I was a little burned on my Zelda 2 purchase.

I wouldn't know, I never made it past the opening cave section in the original :lol

My memory of the original is pretty hazy, but I seem to remember the Blob having an annoying tendency to not eat the jellybeans you throw at him for some reason.

Cherubae

edwardslane said:
i'm interested in this Harvest moon title.. any reviews anywhere i wonder.. Anyone get this early by chance? Any screens anywhere?

It isn't a full-on Harvest Moon game. It is a spin-off where you run a shop in Clover Town, where past HM game characters will ask you for orders. You then have to produce the good by playing a mini game with your wii remote.

Marvelous' official site

Natsume's official site

There's a few extra downloadable packages in Japan available, but I do not know if they will also be for sale in North America.

andymcc

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:

zelda ii is a lot better, if you need to gauge how good of a game it is.

malingenie said:
Magic Castle Impressions ?

The cell phone version is decent, but it stands out there just because it's unusual to see a competent 2D platformer on that platform. On DSi, I suspect it might seem overly generic compared to many retail side-scrollers. Still, for $5, it's not bad...

Kick arse week! I'll probably get A Boy and His Blob (How does the new retail Wii game compare to the NES original?) along with Mario Kart and Bit Trip Void.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Kick arse week! I'll probably get A Boy and His Blob (How does the new retail Wii game compare to the NES original?) along with Mario Kart and Bit Trip Void.

OG Boy and His Blob is weird, very interesting, but not really a GOOD game. Like, IMO B&HBwii is the one and only time I can ever think of that a legitimately bad game was remade into a legitimately good game.

However, it IS this wild oldschool David Crane acid trip and it's definitely worth a shot from an educational/historical perspective.

Somnid

Cheesemeister's lists are pessimistic lists assuming Nintendo adds no new support, licenses, or and doesn't try to overlap existing games. I think it's a very realistic way to look at it though.

Nintendo will very likely add SFX1 and 2 in future, they've added a number of other enhancement chips for NES and SNES, it's a matter of when.

Some amendments to his list:

-Kirby Superstar (released in Japan)
-Mario Party isn't happening with alteration, because the stick spinning caused lawsuits and lead to them giving out a special glove and taking out similar mini games in the sequels.

JaseMath

Cheesemeister said:

Actraiser was originally published by Enix, and that's on VC. Apart from being published by Enix, Mischief Makers was also developed by Treasure who's in pretty good standing with Nintendo these days.

Illusion of Gaia (!!!), an Enix-developed game, was published worldwide by Nintendo and I'm sure we'll see that on the VC someday, too. :D

bryehn

Cherubae said:
It isn't a full-on Harvest Moon game. It is a spin-off where you run a shop in Clover Town, where past HM game characters will ask you for orders. You then have to produce the good by playing a mini game with your wii remote.

Marvelous' official site

Natsume's official site

There's a few extra downloadable packages in Japan available, but I do not know if they will also be for sale in North America.

Was hoping it would be a management sim :/

Somnid said:
-Mario Party isn't happening with alteration, because the stick spinning caused lawsuits and lead to them giving out a special glove and taking out similar mini games in the sequels.
I always assumed Mario Party on VC wasn't going to happen due to Mario Party 8 selling well for a few years (it seems to have vanished now but I think that is due to new copies not being produced; second-hand is thriving though...at least in the UK).

Mairo Tennis 64 for similar reasons (Except NPC Mario Tennis hasn't really done well at all...).

Also, using similar thinking to Dr.Mario 64 we can say Tetris Attack isn't happening, the Tetris license is one thing but the fact Pokemon Puzzle League fills the role is another (it is worth noting while Japan has Panel de Pon they do not have Pokemon Puzzle League...since it was never released in Japan)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Cheesemeister said:
I can imagine it'd be more involved than implementing Controller Pak or Rumble Pak support for N64 titles. *cough*

more involved, but actually worth whatever effort it would take on their part... why would "not released in North America" even be an issue though?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, a stacked week of Nintendo Downloads... very nice to see this service getting back on track, and emulating the DSP in Super Mario Kart also gives me high hopes for seeing some other custom-chip SNES titles making their way to VC eventually.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Starwolf_UK said:
I always assumed Mario Party on VC wasn't going to happen due to Mario Party 8 selling well for a few years (it seems to have vanished now but I think that is due to new copies not being produced; second-hand is thriving though...at least in the UK).

Mairo Tennis 64 for similar reasons (Except NPC Mario Tennis hasn't really done well at all...).

Also, using similar thinking to Dr.Mario 64 we can say Tetris Attack isn't happening, the Tetris license is one thing but the fact Pokemon Puzzle League fills the role is another (it is worth noting while Japan has Panel de Pon they do not have Pokemon Puzzle League...since it was never released in Japan)
That doesn't make any sense to me.

I mean, we have Mario Kart Wii, and even so we've still got Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 available on VC.

Teknoman said:
Hmm wonder if Castlevania will hit any time soon. You'd think after advertising for the game on the Nintendo Channel show, the release date would be near.

This and Cave Story. Where the hell is Cave Story?

xSL4INx

Man God said:
There's nothing really stopping Yoshi's Island either.

Super FX2 chip.

And finally, they released A Boy and His Blob on virtual console, too bad I only have 400 points :(

Now, they just need to get Capcom to release Little Nemo the Dream Master.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
xSL4INx said:
Super FX2 chip.

And finally, they released A Boy and His Blob on virtual console, too bad I only have 400 points :(

Now, they just need to get Capcom to release Little Nemo the Dream Master.

I know that, it's probably not stopping them considering how they've already the rarer and more difficult mapping for SMRPG.

Is there any particular reason why Uniracers isn't available yet?( it was published by Nintendo right?).

Also SMK!!!!!!!!!!!! (please be true, it would mean I have no more use for my SNES)

Cerebral Assassin said:
Is there any particular reason why Uniracers isn't available yet?( it was published by Nintendo right?).

If I remember right, Uniracers was the victim of a lawsuit due to its resemblance to a pixar short involving a sentient unicycle. It's one (fantastic) game that we should not expect.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Super Mario Kart! Ahhhhhh!! Now give me Tetris Attack and Yoshi's Island. If the GBA can emulate SFX2 well, then the Wii better be able to.

A Twisty Fluken said:
If I remember right, Uniracers was the victim of a lawsuit due to its resemblance to a pixar short involving a sentient unicycle. It's one (fantastic) game that we should not expect.

Oh man I knew I should have bought it for a £5 when I saw it down the 2nd hand shop.

Oli

FrostuTheNinja said:
This and Cave Story. Where the hell is Cave Story?

I think it underwent some issues somewhere along the lines. Apparently it was resubmitted to Nintendo a few weeks back, which probably means submission 1 was rejected for some reason.

Top Bottom