• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2014

Richie

FYI: SimCity is still comfortably sitting on available for purchase on the PAL Wii Shop Channel. I just bought it last year.

Huh. How odd that it'd be taken off elsewhere, you'd think that if it was legal reasons, it wouldn't be in any region at all. Dr. Wright keeps popping up in Smash no problem too.

TheMoon

Speaking of, who owns the SimCity IP? EA?

Did you not remember the part where Maxis is owned by EA and Sims/SimCity is basically the same thing? Of course it's EA! :D

edit: here's a pic of SimCity still up on the German Wii Shop Channel with a kidnapping proof of life-style copy of Bayonetta U to show it's current :p

simcitylvoar.jpg

scamander

Banned
Did you not remember the part where Maxis is owned by EA and Sims/SimCity is basically the same thing? Of course it's EA! :D

edit: here's a pic of SimCity still up on the German Wii Shop Channel with a kidnapping proof of life-style copy of Bayonetta U to show it's current :p

You can re-download purchased games without problem, even after they've been delisted (Yoshi's Cookie being the exception for some reason); so, that's no proof unfortunately.

I'll check if Sim City is still there. Give me a minute, I'll update this post later.

TheMoon

You can re-download purchased games without problem, even after they've been delisted (Yoshi's Cookie being the exception for some reason); so, that's no proof unfortunately.

I'll check if Sim City is still there. Give me a minute, I'll update this post later.

Yes it is proof since I bought it a) just last year and b) the pic shows the general platform list of games, not my purchase history.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Apparently there's a Halloween sale going on the 3DS & Wii U
Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) -$15.99
Resident Evil Revelations - $8.99
Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D - $7.99
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...games-for-cheap-with-nintendos-halloween-sale

...Nintendo's Halloween Sale?!? Where! First time hearing this! IIRC, they didn't have themed sales last Halloween, just themed eShop (which seems to be back). Are there other infos on the other titles participating to this sale?

GameE

...Nintendo's Halloween Sale?!? Where! First time hearing this! IIRC, they didn't have themed sales last Halloween, just themed eShop (which seems to be back). Are there other infos on the other titles participating to this sale?

I just looked, there is nothing from Nintendo, right now anyway. I dont see a lot of good games on sale :S

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I just looked, there is nothing from Nintendo, right now anyway. I dont see a lot of good games on sale :S

I suppose the amount of titles going on sale will increase on Thursday, when officially new releases and deals start.

scamander

Banned
Yes it is proof since I bought it a) just last year and b) the pic shows the general platform list of games, not my purchase history.

You are right! Sorry, I somehow remembered it wrong and thought delisted games would show up like all other games, if you purchased them in time.

Anyway, I took the chance and finally transferred my Lost Winds over.^^

TheMoon

You are right! Sorry, I somehow remembered it wrong and thought delisted games would show up like all other games, if you purchased them in time.

Anyway, I took the chance and finally transferred my Lost Winds over.^^

Yay, LW is finally back with its family :)

Next Weeks' Releases in Japan
Wii U
Devil World (Nintendo)(Famicom)
The LEGO Movie Videogame (5616 yen)

3DS
Ping Pong Trick Shot (Star Sign) (200 yen)
Ultra Baseball Action Card Battle Light (Culture Brain) (500 yen)
Gurutan English Words Junior High (Media Five) (500 yen)
Gurutan English Words High School(Media Five) (500 yen)
Gurutan English Words Adult (Media Five) (500 yen)
Social Worker Test 2014 edition (Media Five) (2800 yen)
The LEGO Movie Videogame (4536 yen)
Sherlock Holmes Puzzle City (Intergrow) (2700 yen)
Cooking Mama: My Sweets Shop (Office Create) (4968 yen)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, I suppose I should mention that I shall be interview ANNE developer Gamesbymo in the very near future and wanted to see if the denizens here had any questions for him about that game.

Needham

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds-eshop/legend_of_dark_witch
Nintendolife Legend of Dark Witch review = 7 (out of 10). I will probably buy it now.

The game's ok. Main problems: The boss weapons are almost entirely useless. The boss attacks are a bit unbalanced, especially the tornado girl who can force you to take multiple hits if you don't have speed upgrades. Finally, the shop makes everything feel useless until you upgrade, but no one wants to grind for cash to upgrade.

Otherwise, the music is good, the game has a fast pace with good controls. There's a decent challenge, especially on lunatic difficulty. I played through it four times, so it can't be that bad, plus it's only $4.

wilflare

really tempted to jump on all those GBA and SNES VC titles
part of me really wants to hold out for a sale but lol.

:/ (that DDP really makes u spend)

cacildo

really tempted to jump on all those GBA and SNES VC titles
part of me really wants to hold out for a sale but lol.

:/ (that DDP really makes u spend)

Noo! Lets wait for a sale! Lets be strong! They need to understand the VC games are too expensive!

But its... so... hard... to resist...

Weng

Right, I suppose I should mention that I shall be interview ANNE developer Gamesbymo in the very near future and wanted to see if the denizens here had any questions for him about that game.
Nothing other than the obvious (I don't know if any of this is already known):
When will the Wii U version come out?
Will it support off-TV play?
Will there be any Wii U exclusive features/content?
What are the supported control methods?

maxcriden

Nothing other than the obvious (I don't know if any of this is already known):
When will the Wii U version come out?
Will it support off-TV play?
Will there be any Wii U exclusive features/content?
What are the supported control methods?

I spoke with Mo not that long ago, and it's slated for 2015 at this point. They're going for a simultaneous release on multiple platforms.

tebunker

Banned
anyone else backed Adventures of Pip on Kickstarter? - thinking whether to choose it for the WiiU or the PS4 :/
This should be an easy choice which controller do you prefer? Also clarify which system comes first. Since WiiU was part of the original goal and PS4 was a stretch goal I would check and see how they are doing that. It may make a difference

foltzie1

How easy is it to support multiple controllers? Does the input API make that transparent?

donny2112

sörine;136131976 said:
Wait what? This is a real deal breaker for me, totally unacceptable.

I guess it shouldn't be too big a surprise since Doublefine's last eShop game (The Cave) also senselessly skipped off-tv play but that was a rushed near launch game so I'd hoped they'd had some better project planning this time around. I guess not.

What?!? Dealbreaker for me, too, and I was really looking forward to buying the game on Wii U. Looks like it'll be part of a Steam sale next year for me, then, but would've loved for Off-TV play at Halloween this year. :(

Here's the thing. The game is basically unplayable in Single Player, IMO. Maybe I just lack patience (this surely wouldn't be the first evidence for that theory), but even playing The Cave in co-op with me using the GamePad and my wife using the Wiimote + Nunchuk, it was quite tedious to switch between two characters in different parts of large maps, especially when you have to sync up multiple actions at once at times. I can't even conceive of how you could play with three characters as one person without it being an insanely frustrating experience, since you literally have to move each one individually, even when they're all side-by-side and going to the same place.

Okay, I really need to read up on how Costume Quest 2 works, then. Just figured it'd be a direct followup to Costume Quest 1 in gameplay but with a new story, etc. If it's changed so much that the other characters don't just follow you (like they should), then may have to skip the game altogether to avoid the frustration. :(

Regarding Costume Quest 2 and Off-TV, the we've now got official word that they're patching it in!

Hmmm. If it's as frustratingly tedious as it sounds in the above writeup, may still skip it. This at least gives me hope of buying it on Wii U, though. :)

TheMoon

Okay, I really need to read up on how Costume Quest 2 works, then. Just figured it'd be a direct followup to Costume Quest 1 in gameplay but with a new story, etc. If it's changed so much that the other characters don't just follow you (like they should), then may have to skip the game altogether to avoid the frustration. :(

Hmmm. If it's as frustratingly tedious as it sounds in the above writeup, may still skip it. This at least gives me hope of buying it on Wii U, though. :)

You clearly missed the part where they were talking about THE CAVE, not Costume Quest 2.

zroid

Banned
Max's complaints about The Cave (which I haven't played) seem awfully familiar to me because I had a similar experience with Thomas Was Alone.

Still think it's a great little game, but man it got tedious sometimes.

The Cave gets even more tedious is subsequent play-throughs. Getting all of the endings is a chore because of repeated puzzles. The boat puzzle is probably the biggest offender here...

maxcriden

BTW, Tetrobot and Co. should be on y'all's radar. Played some last night and it's very fun. It's a good puzzler. As it is it's kind of straightforward and point-and-click-esque, but I expect it to become increasingly complex as it goes on.

Max's complaints about The Cave (which I haven't played) seem awfully familiar to me because I had a similar experience with Thomas Was Alone.

Still think it's a great little game, but man it got tedious sometimes.

Yep, I was referring to The Cave. I actually really liked the game a lot, but playing alone would feel brutally tedious. zroid, does Thomas Was Alone offer co-op? I hadn't read much about the game but I'm wondering if that would help with that issue as it did with The Cave. I admittedly don't know that much about the game, though.

The Cave gets even more tedious is subsequent play-throughs. Getting all of the endings is a chore because of repeated puzzles. The boat puzzle is probably the biggest offender here...

If the puzzles weren't partly re-used I gladly would've done a second playthrough. I do think it's silly that there are 3 characters/playthrough and only 8 characters, so you need to repeat a character in one playthrough to get all of the endings. :(

daydream

Banned
BTW, Tetrobot and Co. should be on y'all's radar. Played some last night and it's very fun. It's a good puzzler. As it is it's kind of straightforward and point-and-click-esque, but I expect it to become increasingly complex as it goes on.

Glad you're enjoying it, Max! :)

jholmes

anyone else backed Adventures of Pip on Kickstarter? - thinking whether to choose it for the WiiU or the PS4 :/

The game should be largely identical on all platforms, so it's really about whether you want Miiverse and off-TV or trophies.

If anyone's interested, Curve Studios is doing an AMA on Reddit's /r/WiiU today at noon (Eastern).

https://twitter.com/curvestudios/status/527464734661283840

https://twitter.com/curvestudios/status/527465809896304640

I hope someone bugs them about pro controller, Wii remote and classic controller support. They're porting over some good games but there's no excuse for stuff like Lone Survivor to be playable only on the GamePad.

zroid

Banned
Yep, I was referring to The Cave. I actually really liked the game a lot, but playing alone would feel brutally tedious. zroid, does Thomas Was Alone offer co-op? I hadn't read much about the game but I'm wondering if that would help with that issue as it did with The Cave. I admittedly don't know that much about the game, though.

It doesn't and I really think it would've benefited from a co-op mode. That said, there are certain parts of the game that probably wouldn't make sense with co-op. It would need to be redesigned to an extent.

donny2112

Costume Quest is still Costume Quest yes.

Excellent. :) Thanks!

Thomas Was Alone is awesome. Played through the whole thing on Steam, and don't recall it being particularly tedious ever. Don't recall a Co-Op option, though. You just switch between the different shapes. Great puzzle-platformer gameplay with an absolutely wonderful story/narrator, in my opinion.

maxcriden

Glad you're enjoying it, Max! :)

Thanks again for the recommendation! :)

It doesn't and I really think it would've benefited from a co-op mode. That said, there are certain parts of the game that probably wouldn't make sense with co-op. It would need to be redesigned to an extent.

Thomas Was Alone is awesome. Played through the whole thing on Steam, and don't recall it being particularly tedious ever. Don't recall a Co-Op option, though. You just switch between the different shapes. Great puzzle-platformer gameplay with an absolutely wonderful story/narrator, in my opinion.

Thanks guys. I'll be interested to check it out myself in a month or so!

Top Bottom