• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billy.sea

Banned
nincompoop said:
Of course with the Wii version you get the benefit of having twice the screen resolution and twice the framerate, plus far better controls, which more than makes up for the price difference.

I bought Toki Tori on iPhone for $.99 after trying out the free demo. The control works well and it's also portable. For games like Toki Tori I personally prefer its portability than framerate. In fact iPhone screen has high resolution too.

This is why I only buy original titles made for Wiiware like Bit.Trip and FFCC. A lot of other games like Defend Your Castle are dirt cheap on iPhone that the sense of purchasing and get exciting for a game is gone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
billy.sea said:
I bought Toki Tori on iPhone for $.99 after trying out the free demo. The control works well and it's also portable. For games like Toki Tori I personally prefer its portability than framerate. In fact iPhone screen has high resolution too.

Also while the iPhone version is 30fps, it's also on a 30hz screen and they adjusted the animation to reflect this so it doesn't feel laggy or slow on the iPhone.

Two Tribes agrees; "We feel confident that calling this the best Toki Tori so far is justified."

GeekyDad said:
"...Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy return for some hard-hitting, fast-paced tennis action...."

Really? They're actually making something of a franchise of this drek, eh? And the rating includes "suggestive themes" in the description? What the...
Turns out Mommy is to blame:
ESRB.org said:
The Mommy character's breasts jiggle slightly when she jumps in the air to celebrate a victory.
Still Family Pirate Party managed to get a rating of E10+...
ESRB.org said:
During the course of the game, a female character's breasts jiggle whenever she jumps in the air. One still image depicts a young woman, with exaggerated breast size, wearing an outfit that exposes deep cleavage.
Given the earlier games didn't have this problem it is almost as if the developers realised Mommy was the reason anyone was buying the game...

Apologies for the lack of updates - everything will be up to date soon.

BTW, any news on an updated Nintendo Channel in Europe yet?

OK, I'm probably getting a DSi tonight so I need some recommendations for those free points. Pictobits is definitley in the running, I love drawing cartoons and it's free so Flipnote is a must but what should I do with those other 500 points? Or assuming I don't get Pictobits, which two 500pt titles do you think I'd be getting the most value out of?

Still keeping my Lite though for GBA slot and Taito arcade paddle, not to mention it'll be handy for extra multiplayer.

nli10

Starwolf_UK said:
Turns out Mommy is to blame:

Still Family Pirate Party managed to get a rating of E10+...

Given the earlier games didn't have this problem it is almost as if the developers realised Mommy was the reason anyone was buying the game...

Can't wait for the 18+ Mommy's Private Pirate Party...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Stumpokapow said:
Also while the iPhone version is 30fps, it's also on a 30hz screen and they adjusted the animation to reflect this so it doesn't feel laggy or slow on the iPhone.
idevice's screen refresh is 60hz. or at least it is for the ipod side of the family.

blu said:
idevice's screen refresh is 60hz. or at least it is for the ipod side of the family.
Doesn't seem that way for the iPhone...*

This makes for an interesting read about Toki Tori WiiWare > iPhone.

*This quote from there about the animations:
Since the iPhone can only handle screen updates thirty times per second (30fps), compared to 60fps for Wii, we were able to cut quite a few animation frames that would not be used anyway. Almost every single animation (except for the one where Toki Tori is playing with a Wii Remote :)) has been retained and looks great in action.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Starwolf_UK said:
Doesn't seem that way for the iPhone...*

This makes for an interesting read about Toki Tori WiiWare > iPhone.

*This quote from there about the animations:
weird. unless there's something that causes the screen to drop every second frame sent to it (i.e. taking 60hz but displaying at 30), the above sounds quite strange, as i know for a fact you can send 60 fps to the ipod's display under EGL (the close-to-gpu framebuffer layer), and i'd be very surprised if the iphone differed from the ipt in this regard. heck, apple plainly advise devs to artificially limit their framerate to 30 when aiming for battery life - why would they do that if the device was limited to 30hz in the first place?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Guys, it's fucking crazy I tell you!

I have been wondering on the Shop Channel for more than 30 minutes looking for Contra Rebirth and Gradius Rebirth and they're not there.

I looked under Konami (all I could find there were Critters blabla and Driift, under action/shooter/arcade games and I even typed in "Contra".
Nothing.

I know for a fact those games are both out here in Italy (PAL), I've seen them before and I was ready to give them my money.

What the hell? Has this ever happened before?

donny2112

Agent Unknown said:
OK, I'm probably getting a DSi tonight so I need some recommendations for those free points.

From what I have (not Mightly Flip Champs, but others give it thumbs up), I'd definitely recommend Mario vs. DK: Minis March Again (long main game and free downloadable levels). Haco/Box Life is good if you want a different kind of puzzler. I'm really looking forward to the three-part new Shantae, too. :)

^^^

Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I decided to hold off on getting my DSi for a few days so I have some time to mull over what I will download.

magiustra

Dash Kappei said:

I have been wondering on the Shop Channel for more than 30 minutes looking for Contra Rebirth and Gradius Rebirth and they're not there.

I looked under Konami (all I could find there were Critters blabla and Driift, under action/shooter/arcade games and I even typed in "Contra".
Nothing.

I know for a fact those games are both out here in Italy (PAL), I've seen them before and I was ready to give them my money.

No Gradius and no Contra in Italy 'cause of legal issues (it seems). You can still enter in other european Wii Shops and buy the game (just change country in the Wii Menu).

antispin

Dash Kappei said:

Nothing.

Did you use the search function? Oh I see you did. Nevermind then.

Since the iPhone can only handle screen updates thirty times per second (30fps), compared to 60fps for Wii, we were able to cut quite a few animation frames that would not be used anyway. Almost every single animation (except for the one where Toki Tori is playing with a Wii Remote :)) has been retained and looks great in action.

He's obviously talking about the framerate here, not the screen refresh rate (Which is 60hz. If it was 30hz it would flicker like crazy and be unviewable :lol)

Just wanted to chime in and say that You, Me & The Cubes is pretty awesome :D

I also noticed that its menu is very remenicient of FYTO's iPhone game newtonica 2 (Though the one in YM&TC is way better :D)

Nintendo, would it kill you to upload Donkey Kong to the VC Arcade???? It's not like it's Miyamoto's first masterpiece or that we almost never get arcade updates or anything.

And why are there legal issues with Italy getting Konami games on WW?

Oli

Agent Unknown said:
Nintendo, would it kill you to upload Donkey Kong to the VC Arcade???? It's not like it's Miyamoto's first masterpiece or that we almost never get arcade updates or anything.

The VC Arcade was just a test, and we all failed.

It sucks no one is talking about You, Me, & the Cubes. Its probably the second best WiiWare game next to World of Goo.

Oli said:
The VC Arcade was just a test, and we all failed.

Companies failed to publish games on it. At least we got Space Harrier 2 out of it.

billy.sea

Banned
tetrisgrammaton said:
It sucks no one is talking about You, Me, & the Cubes. Its probably the second best WiiWare game next to World of Goo.

Yeah companies failed to publish games on it. At least we got Space Harrier 2 out of it.

I will buy U, Me, and the Cube very soon, I have been anticipating that for a long time. And yeah I wish people talk about the game more... I want to hear some feedback before I get a chance to buy it (very busy lately).

Someone needs to make a thread about it. Wiiware games are so underrated and underhyped.

OnPoint said:
I am curious about You Me & the Cubes, but I haven't seen anything about it besides a picture. Short description?

Well, its basically a physics game where you have to use the wiimote to throw little people called Fallos onto transparent cubes, with certain preset requirements of how many people you have to place on the cubes for each round.
The cubes will tip over and your little people will fall off if they are not balanced.
The little people have rudimentary ai and can walk around to help other Fallos in danger of falling off, but this can often set the balance in disarray.

The game starts off fairly cerebral as you carefully choose where to place your people, but one false move and it can throw all the cubes off balance and it can quickly turn chaotic where you are relying more on quick reaction and reflexes.

I think this is why I like it so much. The careful balance between precision and Oh Fuck.

OnPoint said:
I am curious about You Me & the Cubes, but I haven't seen anything about it besides a picture. Short description?

Here's a gameplay vid too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqXpm3oZeYY

Obviously it starts off simple enough, but grows increasingly difficult as you are given lower time limits, higher amounts of Fallos to work with and different types of cubes to deal with (Such as an ice cube which is slippery and a cube that has a trampoline in the middle)

There's also a co-op multiplayer mode, though I've yet to try it myself.

It's charming and fun!

sfog

ESRB update:

The Combatribes

Platform: Virtual Console, Wii

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Violence

Rating summary: Players punch and kick their way through New York City in this 2D side-scrolling action game. Although characters appear somewhat small and cartoon-like, they constantly attack each other with hammers, hockey sticks, knives, canes, bowling pins, and sometimes, guns. Punching and kicking generate loud impact sounds and grunts; however, enemies simply blink and disappear when defeated.

sfog said:
ESRB update:

The Combatribes

Platform: Virtual Console, Wii

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Violence

Rating summary: Players punch and kick their way through New York City in this 2D side-scrolling action game. Although characters appear somewhat small and cartoon-like, they constantly attack each other with hammers, hockey sticks, knives, canes, bowling pins, and sometimes, guns. Punching and kicking generate loud impact sounds and grunts; however, enemies simply blink and disappear when defeated.

Ooh, ESRB are listing Virtual Console now. That makes things easier :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It must be noted, Combatribes is an awesome game. Smashing enemies faces into the ground, boss characters with unique moves playable in versus mode... I wish the brawlers they make now-a-days had personality like it.

McNum

Capndrake said:
PEGI update:

-Creatures (C64, Commodore Gaming)

Oooh. That's a decent game, not quite the quality of the sequel, but a decent game. It's rather bloody for a C64 game, though. If Creatures 2 is released, I might just have to get it. I never got past the stage with the axe murderer...

Can i by wii points online? Seems like i can't at Amazon, although i've been buying Xbox Live points from there for a while. Is there an online store that has this available?

McNum

You can buy them directly off the Wii Shop Channel. Comes in packages of 1000, 3000, and 5000 for 10/30/50 Dollars or Euro. They'll be added directly to your Wii that way.

McNum said:
You can buy them directly off the Wii Shop Channel. Comes in packages of 1000, 3000, and 5000 for 10/30/50 Dollars or Euro. They'll be added directly to your Wii that way.
I thought there was a 2000 package, too. At least I remember buying 2000 points through my Wii once.

Rlan

zombiesate.jpg

Zombies Ate My Neighbors has been rated by the Australian Office of Film and Classification for a Virtual Console release.

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/09/zombies_ate_my_neighbours_comi.php

You Me and the Cubes

after doing extensive research ---> im buying it

heres y:

1- its made by Kenji Eno - founder of WARP whose membership included Fumito Ueda and Ichiro Itano (Macross, Itano Circus) fyto, creator of the D series and Real Audio Sound - a game for blind people for sega saturn later emade for dc- he hasnt made a video game in quite a while.

2- from wikipedia
WARP's games were noted for their outlandishness and unconventional production. The game Short Warp, for example, notably came shipped with condom feelies, and the game Real Sound shipped with a bag of "herb seeds"[2]. Eno took up radio broadcasting during this period[2]. He developed a maverick reputation during his work with WARP, and shocked the Japanese video game press in a dramatic 1996 press conference where he burned bridges permanently with Sony by jumping on a plush doll of Muumuu, the mascot of their hit game, Jumping Flash!. Eno also displayed a video depicting the Playstation logo morphing into the logo for Sega Saturn[9]. WARP's last 4 titles were designed exclusively for Sega.

3- more bedfellows (from wiki)
Kenji Eno teamed up with Kenichi Nishi (Chibi Robo!, Captain Rainbow, etc.) under the control of Fieldsystem, Inc. to write the score for and help develop Newtonica, a game for the iPhone and iPod Touch.[13]

4- nint saw it fit to release this as a "first party" game even though its not by them. and that, is a sign of confidence.
mimitw-1.jpg

The Hermit

Walk-Out Basements said:
You Me and the Cubes

after doing extensive research ---> im buying it

heres y:

1- its made by Kenji Eno - founder of WARP whose membership included Fumito Ueda and Ichiro Itano (Macross, Itano Circus) fyto, creator of the D series and Real Audio Sound - a game for blind people for sega saturn later emade for dc- he hasnt made a video game in quite a while.

2- from wikipedia

the reason nº 1 is enough, but the second is just :lol

It wasn´t even in the radar, now its bought.

Nuclear Muffin said:
He's obviously talking about the framerate here, not the screen refresh rate (Which is 60hz. If it was 30hz it would flicker like crazy and be unviewable :lol)
LCD screens don't have refresh rates

Capndrake

ESRB rated "Final Fantasy II," can anyone figure out from the description if it's the actual II or IV?

This is a 2D role-playing game (RPG) in which players embark on an adventure involving magic crystals and a quest to save the world from destruction. Players move small character icons across a field map and enter turn-based battles with an assortment of imps, dragons, and robots. Weapons and special attacks (e.g., "magic," "jump," and "kick"), accessed via a menu-screen, cause enemies to blink and disappear when defeated. One female enemy is depicted wearing a bikini top that exposes a moderate amount of cleavage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom