• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3nmilez

I'm interested in these Artschool games...I have absolutely no drawing talent but always wished I could make something that wasn't boxes put together. I've looked at a few books and online tutorials and it always gets to a point where there's a big gap from drawing simple circles to full body proportions!

For someone who's really awful at drawing, do you think these games will actually have some value? Is it easy to follow along? I'd imagine the tutorials would be much more reasonable...

Walk-Out Basements said:
im intrigued by the artschool dsiware...mario paint was a memorable experience way back...yeah im gonna git

for those complaining about the price of Altered Beast,
i suggest getting a PS360 for
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis/Mega Drive Collection
for only 30$

it's got
Arcade ports of:
Altered Beast
Shinobi
Space Harrier

and

console ports of:
Phantasy Star 1-4
Shining Force 1+2
Golden Axe 1-3
Streets of rage 1-3
Comix Zone
Ecco the dolphin
Shinobi 3
oh and sonic 1-3 & knuckles, ristar, vectorman 1+2

rest of the games here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic's_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection

that's a value of at least 11000 wii points or $ 110
one of the best compilations since capcom classics vol 1+2 and mega man anniversary + megaman x collections

The emulation is horrid though, you do pay for what you get!

That being said, I thought that Altered Beast on MD VC was a ripoff at 800 points, the arcade one is an even more complete ripoff :lol

Well, finally took the plunge Saturday and got an arctic blue DSi. The combination of wanting to try Picto Bits for months + a $15 Best Buy rewards card burning in my pocket + the soon to be expired free 1,000 points promo = me pushed over the edge. Overall?

I definitely like the DSi but am still really glad I kept my Lite. GBA slot aside, IMHO while the DSi has a nice SP'ish DPad, its face buttons are much too flat and feel "nubby." I put Yoshi's Island DS to the test on it and the game just didn't feel as responsive or as natural as it should (and I'm one of those folks who is addicted to getting 100 points on every stage, so I need as much precision as I can get out of my buttons).

So I'll keep my Lite for roadtrips where I need a platformer/shmup/GBA fix and DSi for more stylus based games and of course shop content (and when I get married early next year, an optional system for both me and the wifey :) ). Overall though, slick little system and really dig the new menu interface (hello there, long overdue home function). Camera & voice recorder = nice bonuses to toy with when I have more time, AAC tracks = PSP continues to stay my default MP3 player.

Anyways, as mentioned before, after reading impressions in the monthly DLC threads for a long time, I used 500 of my points to get Picto Bits and I LOVE it. Best new puzzler I've tried since Lumines. I've been playing NES since '88 so the game's presentation made this a no brainer. Love racing to get the right color combos and being egged on to do better by the music and the picture rewards. Purchased my first dark stage last night, yikes.

I also downloaded FlipnoteStudios, no time to really play with it yet, too busy with Metroid Prime Trilogy and Picto Bits. Some of the Hatena fan animations I've seen so far have blown me away and I like to draw my own cartoons so I will definitely be getting to it in the near future.

Opera Browser DS stinks. The system's memory is too low to support a good browser (and because of this will supposedly never support Flash acccording to someone on the Opera forums) and the zooming function is claustrophobic. Not even good for simple tasks like checking Yahoo mail.

Anyways, I'm pleased with my DSi so far and my Picto Bits download. Looks like I may be saving the rest of my points for awhile though. A few of the other Art Style games have me intrigued but I want something that grabs my attention a little more (and no I'm not waiting for a mythical 500 point version of Metroid Dread not that it wouldn't be sweet of course :p ) Minis March Again is tempting me I have to admit.

Oh and looks like we got our bi-tri monthly VCA title. 1,000 point Altered Beast is both yawn inducing and a rip off as stated earlier. My unquenched desire for proper DK continues.

Still lttp on some of this week's news. Man, why would Taito confine Arkanoid to only use Dpad? It boggles the mind. Reminds me of the awful reversed B-jump & A-shoot for the GC rev of MM Anniversary years ago (I was ok though, 'cuz I decided to get a Hori pad custom modded with an A-B/B-A switch in the back :D )

edit: How I got around Capcom and Atomic Planet's stupidity back in the day. I couldn't correct the emulation issues, but I sure wasn't about to be stuck with wrecked controls:

Hori1.jpg

hori2.jpg

Makes me wonder why third parties don't release controllers with customizable buttons?

Capndrake

NoE sent out a whole press release for tonight's update for some reason:

VIRTUAL CONSOLE – Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back™
(LucasArts, 800 Nintendo Wii Points)

It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Although the Death Star has been destroyed, Imperial troops have driven the Rebel forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the galaxy. Evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker has established a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth. The evil lord Darth Vader, obsessed with finding young Skywalker, has dispatched thousands of remote probes into the far reaches of space…

Pursued across the galaxy, you and your Rebel Forces now marshal new strength on the remote ice world of Hoth. Although tracked by probe droids, attacked by ice monsters, and confronted by an army of gigantic Imperial Walkers, you must not give in. You are the Alliance's only hope. Learn the ways of the Force, then test your skills in this fast-paced, action-packed sequel to the hit game Super Star Wars™.

NINTENDO DSiWARE – Art Style: INTERSECT™
(Nintendo, 500 DSi Points)

The Art Style series brings you unique, simple-to-play games with striking visuals and immersive sound.

INTERSECT is a puzzle game with a difference, challenging your concentration and reflexes. Direct differently coloured cars through a crossroad so that only cars of the same colour occupy a road. This will generate fuel, which is ignited to propel the precious Core away from the approaching Spike. Earn high scores to win medals and even unlock new visual themes and music tracks.

Play in Button Mode, using the +Control Pad to direct cars, or try Touch Mode and use the stylus. Each mode includes the single-player Endless mode, VS CPU mode and also VS 2P for playing against a friend using DS Download Play.

WiiWARE - “Aha! I Got It!” Escape Game
(Ateam Inc., 500 Wii Points)

Use your head and solve the puzzles to escape the room Milo is in. Play alone or with family and friends to solve this puzzling adventure game.

Today is Milo’s birthday and he gets an amazing present from his dad - a room of puzzles that he likes to solve. Milo needs to solve all the puzzles to escape from the room.

Use the Wii Remote and SHAKE!, PUSH!, TWIST! to interact with, collect, and use items you find in the game. There is plenty to solve using all of the Wii Remote’s tricks and treats. See if you have what it takes to figure it all out.

Also, the OFLC rated Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth and Tomena Sanner.

Fewr

t3nmilez said:
I'm interested in these Artschool games...I have absolutely no drawing talent but always wished I could make something that wasn't boxes put together. I've looked at a few books and online tutorials and it always gets to a point where there's a big gap from drawing simple circles to full body proportions!

For someone who's really awful at drawing, do you think these games will actually have some value? Is it easy to follow along? I'd imagine the tutorials would be much more reasonable...
I'd like to know this too.

vazel

Banned
Holy shit Super Star Wars on snes and TMNT on nes. This gives me hope that the licensed disney nes and snes games will eventually make their way to VC.

zigg

Couple people asking about the Art Academy
non-
games, so I thought I'd offer some quick impressions as I've just started the first one. I'll probably be doing a fuller impressions post or a review at N-Sider later, but I thought I'd quickly share a few thoughts:

The biggest thing I'm really impressed with is that I've only done the first pencil-drawing lesson and there's already three thicknesses of pencil available (though the first lesson only had me use one) and also the ability to use them or the eraser on tip or side. I drew this abomination in that lesson:

v1a8.jpg

which basically illustrates that I need better control on my pencil strokes. :D But it did walk through some of the concepts like shadow and light and how the shading behind the apple makes it stand out.

I dunno if it'll make me an artist—I suspect there's something to be said for having the ability in the first place—but being an absolute novice, there's certainly some things to learn here. Regardless, it looks like the paint program is going to be rather good.

(maybe I should just make a thread, huh?)

zigg

gkrykewy said:
Hmm, so you can export images?

Yeah, that one above I posted to my DSi Camera album, then copied to SD.

You can also import photos from same, at least as reference? I'm not really clear how that works yet. I don't see a way to actually put the photo onto your canvas.

Capndrake

vazel said:
Holy shit Super Star Wars on snes and TMNT on nes. This gives me hope that the licensed disney nes and snes games will eventually make their way to VC.
TMNT was added almost 2 years ago and only because Konami temporarily had the TMNT license again, and the Star Wars games aren't really licensed because LucasArts owns and published them. Don't count on Disney games ever appearing.

d+pad

Wow, zigg, thanks for posting your impressions! They actually make me want to downloand those titles - unfortunately, I have to get a DSi first :(

zigg

No problem. Making the tree was really enjoyable. :) Looking forward to the rest of the lessons and then branching out on my own.

FoneBone

Capndrake said:
TMNT was added almost 2 years ago and only because Konami temporarily had the TMNT license again, and the Star Wars games aren't really licensed because LucasArts owns and published them. Don't count on Disney games ever appearing.
Depends on the game. I could be wrong, but I think Disney itself owns the Disney Interactive stuff from the mid-90s (ie, Aladdin Genesis, Lion King, Jungle Book, etc). The Capcom and Sega games, though... those I wouldn't bet on ever seeing.

A Twisty Fluken said:
zigg, you just sold me on art academy. nice!
this!

Damnit!

When do they hit Europe?

Downloaded Intersect today. It's really cool and challenging and I like it though the gameplay is kinda strange :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have to say, I'm not a fan of Dragon Quest Wars.

I don't really know how to describe it. I don't think the game compares well to Chess, which is probably the closest possible comparison. The DS's screen resolution really holds the game back, too I feel like everything is kinda... ugly and blobby.

I also really don't like the controls. The way you move things is a little frustrating--instead of moving a unit to a square, you have to move it to just above the square so that it properly drops onto the square.

dani_dc

There we go, Art Style: INTERSECT :D
This shall be my first DSiWare game, been wanting to play this game for years :D

plufim

Just grabbed Intersect, really cool game. The design aesthetic is fantastic, plus there seems to be plenty of unlockable skins and music.

Jazzem

Might pick up Intersect, though I was hoping for a Bit Gen game I didn't already own on GBA :( Still, it's a good game, just be wary of the steep learning curve!

dani_dc

dani_dc said:
There we go, Art Style: INTERSECT :D
This shall be my first DSiWare game, been wanting to play this game for years :D
Goddamnit I just realized I was confusing Digidrive with DotStream!

Well I'll look into this one either way now.

Stink

Agent Unknown said:
Opera Browser DS stinks. The system's memory is too low to support a good browser (and because of this will supposedly never support Flash acccording to someone on the Opera forums) and the zooming function is claustrophobic. Not even good for simple tasks like checking Yahoo mail.

Always use the mobile versions of sites and it's pretty good, like a turbocharged mobile phone browser.

radcliff

Capndrake said:
VC for Japan next week:

-Fighting Street (PCE CD)
-Bravoman (VCA)
-New Rally X (VCA)

NA and PAL regions are also getting Fighting Street this month: http://vc-pce.com

So does this confirm that SFII: Champion Edition rated for Europe is for VCA as it is not listed for PCE?

Luigison said:
I agree. Did you do that yourself? I'd considered it, but later got a different version of the game.

A member on the Shmups forum (unfortunately I forget who) made it for me back in summer 2004. I made a post in their hardware/mod forum specifically asking if someone could do this for me and got a PM shortly after. Other than the carts, VC is best now obviously for NES Mega Man games (and whenever they finally release IV-VI) but the Collection is still nice for the extras and convenient access to 7, 8 and the fighter games.

It still gets plenty of time on both my GC Sonic collections. Too bad it doesn't have a yellow C-stick nub because it'd be sweet to use on Viewtiful Joe.

sfog

ESRB update:

Final Fight 2

Platform: Wii

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Violence

Rating summary:
Players execute punches, kicks, throws, and special moves to defeat members of the "Mad Gear Gang" in this side-scrolling action game. As players walk across the 2D environments, the human enemies (sometimes brandishing weapons) appear from both sides of the screen to attack. Unlike most Teen-rated fighting games, the enemies, here, blink and disappear after a handful of hits. Damage is indicated (along with health meters) by yellow "star"-effects, grunts/cries of pain, and somewhat realistic punching sounds. Players may also break boxes and other objects—"Break Car!"—in the levels to reveal hidden health restores, weapons, and bonus points.

Jazzem

Wrestlemania said:
How is Intersect compared to Digidrive? I already have that so if it's much the same I'll give it a miss.

As far as I can tell they're both the same, though with a slight presentation upgrade. Did the GBA version have multiple difficulties? As I've unlocked hard mode on this. There's also the benefit of multiplayer over DSes as opposed to GBAs.

Either way, having Digidrive stored and ready onto my DSi is worth the asking price :D Though it's the first download I've had to delete stuff for :( Hope I don't get the urge to play Wario Ware Snapped any time soon...

Tab0203

I finally bought NyxQuest and Bonsai Barber. How did I miss those? This thread isn't really worth bumping.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4107/from_me_to_wii_martin_hollis_.php?page=4

From Me to Wii: Martin Hollis' Journey
So, at the point of the third prototype, were you showing this to Nintendo?

MH: No, we talked to them a lot more than that. I guess about once a quarter we'd show them Bonsai to find out their opinion.

Have they been hands-on with the creative direction of the game then?

MH: I don't really know how to answer that because... I see them trying to help me. I've worked very hard to listen to what they tell me about Wii, Nintendo, and how they see this game fitting into that. I'll take their points from them, but they'll always say, "We suggest this", or "We suggest that." I know they know that it's really my game.

What's their primary concern when giving advice: the underpinning systems underneath or the art direction?

MH: That's an interesting question. Nintendo said very little about the aesthetics and look of the game, but I always was happy with that. I never felt like we were lacking there. Maybe I had more confidence in the aesthetics; maybe I had less confidence in the writing.

Their most valuable input came at the end with hammering down all the little nails that stand out. Menus. They have an incredible wealth of knowledge about how to make sure that 100 percent of your players can navigate your game and comprehend each step through the menu systems and rewards.

One of the things we were kind of disappointed they didn't give much direction with the text. It was mostly all in English, so that's understandable. In addition to that, Nintendo itself, NCL, does not traditionally consider the writing to be a paramount consideration, I think. That's my impression, at least.

That's interesting. You look at titles like Paper Mario and the quality of the writing is very high...

MH: Yes. That's totally an exception. So, through the window of the game, I see that Paper Mario has a team who has a totally different view on how to go about making a game. And it's really nice, I think, that a large company can respect that and allow that to come into fruition. But by and large, in general, that's my impression with Nintendo: that text and story is of secondary concern.

Edge gave it a 7.

Nintendo Channel Bonsai Barber Interview Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiwyL8O_gFU

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bonsai-barber-review?page=1
Created by former Rare man Martin Hollis (he of GoldenEye fame) there's a clear lineage back to the sort of seriously silly ideas that populated Banjo-Kazooie and it shares a sense of humorous whimsy with Viva Pinata. Wielding the remote like a pair of scissors is a surprisingly tactile experience, calling to mind some of Trauma Center's more ingenious moments, and there's a distinct and immediate pleasure in snipping away and seeing a creation take shape. On a purely instinctive level, it's a game you want to play.
So true.

It's only when you've been playing for a week or so, in real time, that you start to see new rewards for your dedication, but even then the criteria for success feels vague. You're never entirely sure what you need to do, but you keep doing stuff and things happen so you must be doing something right. Such laissez-faire structure can be liberating, but it can also lead to the feeling that there's not really much point.
1st comment:
"You're never entirely sure what you need to do, but you keep doing stuff and things happen so you must be doing something right."

That sounds like my life.

Apenheul

Tab0203 said:
I finally bought NyxQuest and Bonsai Barber. How did I miss those?

Oh yes, both games are excellent. I still play Bonsai Barber sometimes even though I've done every single haircut; there's still badges and other stuff to unlock.

Stink said:
Always use the mobile versions of sites and it's pretty good, like a turbocharged mobile phone browser.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. And hopefully they will eventually add more zoom levels, that would go a long way by itself.

ITA84

I gave up on saving my points for Mighty Flip Champs and got Art Style: Intersect instead. Nice game, but really hard from the very start! Multiplayer is also a bit confusing at first, but all in all it's fun.

I'd also be interested in Art Academy, but maybe I should first see if there's already some Homebrew app that offers similar drawing tools.

Somnid

Japanese Update for the week of 10/4:

VC:
New Rally X (ARC, 800pts, Bandai-Namco)
Fighting Street (PCECD, 800pts, Capcom)
Chouzetsu Rinjin: Bravoman (ARC, 800pts, Bandai-Namco)

Wiiware:
[None]

DSiWare:

DSiware 200:
at Shougi: Challenge Spirits (Tasuke)
Ichimoudajin Neko King [Round-up Cat King] (Tom Create)
Suimin kiroku Mesamashi Dokei [Sleep Log Alarm Clock] (Nintendo)

DSiWare 500:
6-in-1 Dictionary with Camera Function (Nintendo)
Bomberman Blitz (Hudson)

DSiWare Premium:
Mario vs. DK: The Minis March Again (Nintendo)

zigg

ITA84 said:
I'd also be interested in Art Academy, but maybe I should first see if there's already some Homebrew app that offers similar drawing tools.

Not exactly similar, but Colors is pretty awesome. I think that it lost pressure sensitivity in the move to DSi, though. I don't have any way of running it on mine to see for myself.

http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/

Art Academy is more traditional tools + lessons. I'm a little better with the pencils now (though still rougher than I'd like):

2a85o5y.jpg

The pear lesson was done off a photo that was part of the lesson. Basically, you can use photos as reference, and align a grid over it and your canvas for sketching its shape.

The last few lessons have mini-lessons that you can do; there was a pepper on this one. I noticed when I was done that (a) I completely forgot the shadow, and (b) unlike the shiny, smooth pepper I was sketching, mine looked lumpy and like it needed to be thrown out :lol But I still liked the result okay.

ITA84

Thanks for suggesting me Colors!

It's indeed a fine application, although it lacks some basic filters, but I can always apply them later.

It's been ages since I last drew something, and it shows.

eilgsk.png

The one thing I think is missing in Colors is the tools for pixel art (at least a 1 pixel brush and a grid); I could use Flipnote Studio, but it doesn't have colors.

Now to gather some intel on Bomberman Blitz...

Colors! is great, but on my DS Lite, the pressure sensitivity doesn't work well at all on the edges of the screens... and I can't find my original DS. :(

I'm seriously considering Art Academy and Contra Rebirth, but I'm trying so hard to hold off on buying any DSiWare/WiiWare games until after Shantae and Castlevania, but I'll have to get them sometime before Cave Story and La Mulana.

So many great games...!

Jazzem

Really enjoying Art Style: Intersect, though it helps that I played it on GBA, as there's a steep learning curve to the game. It's a great puzzler, get it!

Why would you do that? said:
Colors! is great, but on my DS Lite, the pressure sensitivity doesn't work well at all on the edges of the screens... and I can't find my original DS. :(

I'm seriously considering Art Academy and Contra Rebirth, but I'm trying so hard to hold off on buying any DSiWare/WiiWare games until after Shantae and Castlevania, but I'll have to get them sometime before Cave Story and La Mulana.

So many great games...!

If it helps (;)), Contra Rebirth is one of the best games this year for me. It's a blast! :D

HUELEN10

Waiting for Cosmonaut X to make the October thread, but in the meantime here's our PR!
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: DISCOVER NEW WORLDS, HIDDEN WORDS AND THE FIRST FINAL FANTASY

Oct. 5, 2009

Fans of the legendary FINAL FANTASY® series should be especially pleased with this week's downloadable game lineup. Making its Virtual Console™ debut is the original FINAL FANTASY, an NES™ classic that can now be enjoyed on the Wii™ system for the very first time. For hand-held gaming action with a sci-fi twist, this week's new Nintendo DSiWare™ title, Thorium Wars™, lets you take control of an arsenal of vehicles to blast through waves of enemies in a variety of exotic locations. If it's a more down-to-earth experience you're after, check out an engaging new WiiWare™ puzzle game. Consumers should also note that today is the final day of a special promotion: You can receive 1,000 bonus Nintendo DSi Points™ by purchasing a new Nintendo DSi™ game system and connecting to the Nintendo DSi Shop by 11:59 p.m. Pacific time on Oct. 5, 2009. For full offer details, please visit DSiOffer.Nintendo.com.

Virtual Console

FINAL FANTASY
Original platform: NES
Publisher: SQUARE ENIX
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 500 Wii Points™
Description: The world lies shrouded in darkness. The winds die. The sea rages. The earth decays. But the people believe in a prophecy, patiently awaiting its fulfillment. "When darkness veils the earth, four Warriors of Light shall come...." After a long journey, four young travelers did at last appear, and in the hand of each was clutched a crystal.

Nintendo DSiWare

Thorium Wars
Publisher: Big John Games
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Fantasy Violence
Price: 1,000 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: In Thorium Wars, you must stop the Thorions, a super species of Thorium-based machines, from destroying mankind. Blast through waves of Thorions by controlling an arsenal of tanks, skyfighters, hovercrafts, gunboats and starfighters with either the standard or touch-screen controls. In 12 exciting missions, navigate through a variety of combat environments while viewing 360 degrees of the battlefield, fully rendered in 3-D. Toggle between first- and third-person views to destroy the terrifying army of Thorium beasts, from swarms of Redeye Drones to the bone-crushing Manticore Walker. This man-versus-machine battle proves to be the ultimate test for the survival of the fittest.

WiiWare

Word Searcher
Publisher: Digital Leisure Inc.
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: You'll need a sharp eye and a quick mind to complete 100 themed word-search puzzles. Word Searcher contains fun words from multiple categories including anatomy, world cities and U.S. presidents. With a huge assortment of subjects to choose from, there's sure to be a puzzle for everyone to enjoy. Help improve your vocabulary, memory and problem-solving skills with these engaging puzzles. Track and try to beat your own play-through times again and again—words are scrambled every time you play.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

Aka I'm buying nothing this week. Still nice to see FF though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom