• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does ARKANOID Plus! control? D-pad, stick, tilt, pointer?

Video Man said:
So is this the Genesis version or arcade version? It seems to be priced too high to be Genesis.
It's already been said that it's the arcade version, but just wanted to point out something I'd forgotten--looks like Genesis Altered Beast was actually one of the launch VC games back in 2006.

Capndrake said:
Yes, it's the arcade version. 800 points in Japan, 900 points in Europe, 1000 in NA :lol
It is like they don't want it to sell
In a way Europe has the cheapest version since their one is only 100 points more than the console version rather than 200 more in the case of everywhere else

GeekyDad

dkeane said:
Does Drift Mania have online racing modes?

Someone else responded that it doesn't have online, so I'm curious -- and this is by no means meant as a sarcastic, rhetorical question -- but is it that challenging to add online play (generally speaking) to a WiiWare game? Cost, time and red tape -- is it that much of a challenge?

Chairhome

I think there's already a thread about it, but any impressions of DQ Wars? I'm probably already going to buy it (can't go wrong for $5), but just wanted to hear anything about it. Going to be juggling this, M&L, and KH 358/2 later this week... and scribblenauts. Love my DSi

zigg

Has anyone tried Art Academy? The first one apparently came out a bit ago and I totally skimmed it. I'm sort of intrigued, to be honest.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
zigg said:
Has anyone tried Art Academy? The first one apparently came out a bit ago and I totally skimmed it. I'm sort of intrigued, to be honest.

Very cool, like 3 parts Bob Ross and 1 part Mario Paint. Extensive export functionality, so you can share your drawings. The tutorials are pretty good. The only thing is that there's a pretty finite amount of lessons.

If the concept of "I want to learn how to draw" appeals to you, it's a good buy.

donny2112

Dragon Quest Wars by Intelligent Systems. :D

And Art Academy is a good drawing tutuorial? Export functionality let's you save pictures to SD card?

Somnid

Arcade game prices are all over the place in NA. But what's odd is that everyone except Sega has been charging less than the standard Japanese 800 points. What on earth would make them think Altered Beast is worth more than some of the others and all NeoGeo games?

theultimo

Somnid said:
Arcade game prices are all over the place in NA. But what's odd is that everyone except Sega has been charging less than the standard Japanese 800 points. What on earth would make them think Altered Beast is worth more than some of the others and all NeoGeo games?

Did you ever try to rise from your grave?

..it costs money you know.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i used to love playing ALTERED BEAST at the rollerskating rink. i'd forego the actual skating and stand skidding around on those shitty brown leather quad skates, continually wising from my gwave.

i think i'll buy it.

Baconbitz

Banned
I have 4 pepsi turned rockband (aka wii points). I have 100 points left on my DSi. I registered two of those just now and now have 500 points. Im not sure if i should register those other points to make it 900 DSiware points and get asphault, download zengage, or wait till I get home from work and get dqw.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
And Art Academy is a good drawing tutuorial? Export functionality let's you save pictures to SD card?

Yep.

Basically you get to do a finite number of lessons (still life, shading, whatever) where you get tips and there's a pre-drawn piece of art that you're encouraged to try to replicate, putting your own touches on it. You're not graded (how could you be?) plus a free drawing mode. The tutorial is text-based, a little mascot guy helps you draw.

You can export to SD card and it goes in your photo roll so you can make it your top screen photo or send wirelessly or whatever.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Driift has 8 player option, but didn't bother to add Gamecube support? Dang, Nunchuk play is going to be a bitch compared to the other outputs.
Oh well, still see me having a blast with this with some pals.

donny2112

Would it be beneficial for publishers to put ads for their other downloadable games in a downloadable game, particularly one with a big IP attached to it? Maybe a short description, too. That way if someone downloads a game because they know the IP, they'll possibly be exposed to other games on the service without as much brand recognition attached. We see this in retail with demos bundled in or multi-player betas included, but with the lack of in-your-face advertising on Wii/DSi, it might be a way to reach more users with new/non-familiar IP titles.

Edit:
Like Nintendo advertising the Art Style games in Mario vs. DK or Square-Enix advertising Arkanoid/Crystal Defenders in their (clearly) Final Fantasy branded titles.

Somnid

donny2112 said:
Would it be beneficial for publishers to put ads for their other downloadable games in a downloadable game, particularly one with a big IP attached to it? Maybe a short description, too. That way if someone downloads a game because they know the IP, they'll possibly be exposed to other games on the service without as much brand recognition attached. We see this in retail with demos bundled in or multi-player betas included, but with the lack of in-your-face advertising on Wii/DSi, it might be a way to reach more users with new/non-familiar IP titles.

People don't tend to like ads in their media, especially when it's paid content.

donny2112

Somnid said:
People don't tend to like ads in their media, especially when it's paid content.

On DVD menus, they'll have a "If you liked this move ..." or "Upcoming" section where you can choose to go, if you want to, to see the ads. Something like that.

Hmm... now the question becomes use my DSi registration points for DQ wars and Boxlife, or go for Mighty Flip Champs and have 200pts left over.

wrowa

Starwolf_UK said:
It is like they don't want it to sell
In a way Europe has the cheapest version since their one is only 100 points more than the console version rather than 200 more in the case of everywhere else
Well, looking at it from another perspective Europe gets totally screwed. Since 800 Wii Points = 8€ = 11.7$ = 1100 Wii Points :lol

donny2112 said:
On DVD menus, they'll have a "If you liked this move ..." or "Upcoming" section where you can choose to go, if you want to, to see the ads. Something like that.

Well, that would be fine (the BBC's classic Doctor Who releases have something similar) but I'd hate to see the other approach you see on many DVDs - unskippable ads at the beginning of the disc - infiltrate gaming.

I remember - correctly, I think - that the old shareware titles on the PC used to have post-game advertising that promoted other episodes or titles when you finished your game and logged out, and perhaps that might be better. That way, instead of being blocked or delayed from playing a game it comes at the end of a session where you are maybe more receptive to that kind of promotion. For instance, when I've just finished an hour or so of Tales of Monkey Island, perhaps a brief "Have you tried these other Telltale titles?" screen promoting Strongbad etc. would be less intrusive and more likely to help attract rather than dissuade potential buyers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:

This happens commonly with big developers on the iPhone and it's fucking obnoxious IMO because, for example, I own Dr. Awesome. I own Rolando 2. Dr. Awesome shows me ads for Rolando 2.

If it's as a menu option ("Find more great games"), that's fine. If it's always on the menu (as per below), that's obnoxious. If it's everpresent on the bottom screen during the game, that's TERRIBLE.

Hold on a second, I'll do a screen cap...

d6xdRgu.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Infernal Monkey said:
Oh wow, you guys finally got Driift Mania. It's fucking awesome.

Really? Should I buy it then?
Is it decent in single player? I loved Super Sprint at the arcade.
What I fear is that this is one of those games where, missing the randomness of a Mario Kart, "casual" friends/family players will always get completely obliterated by me since I'd probably played the tracks a couple of times already thus being at huge advantage over them.

Are there "handicap" options at all?
What do you guys think?
If at least the game makes sense in single player...

480p and widescreen? Or at least widescreen?

Checking out Nintendo of Europe website today and I noticed some DSiware in the Upcoming games bit of the front page. One of them has an actual date:
Bomberman Blitz 23rd October.
To be honest I'll be surprised if it actually is on the store on that data as I just don't trust them
I don't think they trust themselves either, hence why the Wii/DSiware release list never officially came from NOE but was rather something they gave to press at the media summit. It is just so at the end of the day they can turn around and say none of it was official when the inevitable of half the games not showing up happens. I'm thinking Nintendo of America should have done the same (Castlevania Rebirth and 8 more titles next week because the lsit says Q3 they must...)

im intrigued by the artschool dsiware...mario paint was a memorable experience way back...yeah im gonna git

for those complaining about the price of Altered Beast,
i suggest getting a PS360 for
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis/Mega Drive Collection
for only 30$

it's got
Arcade ports of:
Altered Beast
Shinobi
Space Harrier

and

console ports of:
Phantasy Star 1-4
Shining Force 1+2
Golden Axe 1-3
Streets of rage 1-3
Comix Zone
Ecco the dolphin
Shinobi 3
oh and sonic 1-3 & knuckles, ristar, vectorman 1+2

rest of the games here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic's_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection

that's a value of at least 11000 wii points or $ 110
one of the best compilations since capcom classics vol 1+2 and mega man anniversary + megaman x collections

alanias

SilverLunar said:
I'd like to hear impressions of Dragon Quest Wars please.

The game is fantastic, definitely my favorite DSiware release yet. It's like a puzzle tactics game. Each of the 6 or 7 units has three moves, some passive (need to be triggered to use, like defend/counter) and others active. The trick is to combine four units passive/active skills to either defeat the enemy or get to the goal area first.

There are no levels, so it's not very RPG, but it definitely has all the trademark balance of an intelligent systems game. The ONLY downside is that there isn't really a single player campaign. After the 10 level training there is only Versus (one on one) and Survival (four teams free for all.) There is also local and online multiplayer. Overall it's like Dragon Quest chess/rock paper scissors. I was pleasantly surprised!

rpmurphy

alanias said:
The game is fantastic, definitely my favorite DSiware release yet. It's like a puzzle tactics game. Each of the 6 or 7 units has three moves, some passive (need to be triggered to use, like defend/counter) and others active. The trick is to combine four units passive/active skills to either defeat the enemy or get to the goal area first.

There are no levels, so it's not very RPG, but it definitely has all the trademark balance of an intelligent systems game. The ONLY downside is that there isn't really a single player campaign. After the 10 level training there is only Versus (one on one) and Survival (four teams free for all.) There is also local and online multiplayer. Overall it's like Dragon Quest chess/rock paper scissors. I was pleasantly surprised!
Is VS online the same thing as capture the enemy square? Or is it more like defeat all enemy units?

But yeah it's fun and has some depth to the strategies that isn't noticeable immediately.

The Hermit

every Monday I click on this thread and every week I get disappointed... where is all the Nicalis game?

Also wasn´t The boy and his Blob reviewed? Where is it ? :(((

Walk-Out Basements said:
im intrigued by the artschool dsiware...mario paint was a memorable experience way back...yeah im gonna git

for those complaining about the price of Altered Beast,
i suggest getting a PS360 for
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis/Mega Drive Collection
for only 30$

it's got
Arcade ports of:
Altered Beast
Shinobi
Space Harrier

and

console ports of:
Phantasy Star 1-4
Shining Force 1+2
Golden Axe 1-3
Streets of rage 1-3
Comix Zone
Ecco the dolphin
Shinobi 3
oh and sonic 1-3 & knuckles, ristar, vectorman 1+2

rest of the games here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic's_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection

that's a value of at least 11000 wii points or $ 110
one of the best compilations since capcom classics vol 1+2 and mega man anniversary + megaman x collections

Yes, but, not playing games emulated by Backbone = priceless.

Neo Samus

So I just went to the Wii shop a few minutes ago and had to update it. Anyone know what this "update" was? I can't find anything.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Neo Samus said:
So I just went to the Wii shop a few minutes ago and had to update it. Anyone know what this "update" was? I can't find anything.

4.2, kills homebrew channel and other things.

HUELEN10

Neo Samus said:
It means you are royally fucked homebrew-wise.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Arkanoid Plus is decent. Sadly, no Commander Video-powered twist remote control.

$6 for the main game, $2 for an additional 61 levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom