• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DSi LL: Old People Edition

jaydogg691

Dreamwriter said:
No, the PSPGo isn't designed for old fogeys... Look at the link with the dynamic information pages, the demos they show running on the device are games where you read small Japanese text and write complicated Japanese symbols, something older folks might have troubles with on a smaller device.
A good move for Nintendo.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
You guys realise these are pics of the "large print" version of the DSi for people with eyesight trouble, right? They released bigger versions of the DS and the DS Lite too.
I've never seen or heard about these models. This is why about surprised about this particular model. Does anyone know what the LL stands for?

Shiggie

Yes Boss! said:
Ok,

I see the size difference. Definitely DO NOT WANT. This coming from a long time DS collector.

k3nji8.png
I was just about to post that. Shit is huuuge!

Michan

10i9v5w.jpg

Looks like the regular stylus is default; an optional large pen would need to be stored separately (such as in a pocket).

Does it come with both, or is the large pen something one can buy separately?

HUELEN10

Captain N said:
is that the only color it's coming out in?
No, it'll have 3 colors: Wine, Brown, and White.
jaydogg691 said:
Does anyone know what the LL stands for?
Large(r) Letters? What else could it stand for? :lol

Even though I am not buying this thing, I do wanna buy some of it's thick-style styli. They look mad comfortable! Anyone with me on this one?

Yes Boss!

wiid said:
better camera specs?

Does anybody really care about the camera(s) on the DSi?

sprsk said:
Actually, seeing the full size of the machine, maybe I'll pass.

Damn straight. Even as a die-hard nintendo nut this will be hard to buy. I might just do it for a home machine...but I'll have to feel in the proper mood to buy it. SHIT IS HUGE.

Michan

HUELEN10 said:
They went back to the "old style" speaker holes. Hmm...
Of course. They fit with the design (camera "dots", curvy shape, ABXY pattern, start/select circles). The DSi is a mess of shapes.
wiid said:
better camera specs?
Haha, doubt it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Troidal said:
They got the name right, DS iLL. We're sick of the multiple iterations Nintendo!

Very cool idea and definitely for the elderly or people with bad eyesight. Anyone complaining about them putting out "yet another" version (like the above) when it's very obviously made to help a specific group of people needs to be quiet.

I doubt it will ever come to America, so I hope we at least get a DSi in that color.

KtSlime

It seems to be Nintendo's attempt to capture a bit more of the 電子辞書(electronic dictionary) market, I don't really have time to look at the page, but it looks as though it will have a DSiWare version of 楽引き辞典 and other software included.

I don't really think they will be bringing this to the US anytime soon, this is definitely directed towards adults with poor vision that may want to play an occasional game between looking up words and studying for the kanji kentei.

HUELEN10

I don't know a lick of Japanese. Is there any way to know what type of D-Pad and buttons it will have? I am curious to know whether they chose clicky ala phat and DSi, or mushy (preferably in the style of the CC Pro).

Osuwari

cvxfreak said:
Battery lasts longer than the DSi on average, too. Recharge time is 3 hours compared to 2.5 on the DSi.

Also, there's more software included in the package:

2 mini versions of Brain Age (literature, science), Memos and a Japanese dictionary

i had this DS in the "do not want" corner until i read the bolded area.

the regular DSi's battery life is crap compared to the DSL. a better battery life would be enough for me to double dip and probably ditch my current DSi.

cvxfreak said:
I'm curious how it compares to the DS Phat. :lol

Guessing it's the same in length/width, just with the obviously bigger screen. Thickness is identical to the DSlite, so in a way you could say it's the DS phat 2. Way more portable, better screen, but not nearly as compact as the DSi.

Specs look otherwise to be exactly the same. Dpad/buttons seem identically sized in the comparison (to the DSi), so Huelen, it's probably the exact same characteristics in use, too. Weight is 50% more but that's still pretty light overall.

The site also lets you preview the system colors. Dark Brown is nearly black in shade, and Natural White is...well, white.

Battery life is apparently stronger; this would make sense as they'd need to add a higher mAh battery anyways just to deal with the screen size.

(And for those who care, looks like it uses the same DSi AC adapter...)

As said, really is just a bigger DSi. Buy it if you want a bigger system, but the DSi regular is not going out of stock anytime soon.

Michan

The new default stylus is 4 mm longer than the DSi's stylus.
The long "touch pen" is almost 40 mm longer than the DSi's stylus.
The system weighs approximately 50% more than the DSi/Lite.
1 - 3 hrs more battery life than DSi, depending on screen brightness.
3 hour charge (same as DS Lite, 30 mins longer than DSi)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ivedoneyourmom said:
It seems to be Nintendo's attempt to capture a bit more of the 電子辞書(electronic dictionary) market, I don't really have time to look at the page, but it looks as though it will have a DSiWare version of 楽引き辞典 and other software included.
THAT makes it interesting. Having a built in Rakubiki would be awesome. Unless, it is already available on the DSi store?

Wait - Kotaku is saying it ain't for old folks!

Kotaku said:
The redesign comes at the request of customers who said they wanted a larger screen, and the screen is a 93 percent increase over the DS Lite's screen size. The DSi LL is geared for those who want to use their Nintendo handheld for internet and as a music player as the larger screen is able to displayer letters and characters in a bigger font.

Um, yeah, bigger screen with same resolution = just as bad web browsing...

Michan

Included for free, in addition to the DSi's pre-installed software:

* A Bit of Brain Training: Arts
* A Bit of Brain Training: Science
* Kiyou Akira Rakuhiku Language Easier

Wise move there.

Osuwari said:
the regular DSi's battery life is crap compared to the DSL. a better battery life would be enough for me to double dip and probably ditch my current DSi...
...and lose your current DWiWare games because of N's assy policy when it comes to that.

HUELEN10

Michan said:
Included for free, in addition to the DSi's pre-installed software:

* A Bit of Brain Training: Arts
* A Bit of Brain Training: Science
* Kiyou Akira Rakuhiku Language Easier

Wise move there.
Wow, very smooth move indeed NCL! :O
Dreamwriter said:
Wait - Kotaku is saying it ain't for old folks!
Um, yeah, bigger screen with same resolution = just as bad web browsing...
Oh Kotaku...

What a wasted opportunity if the d-pad and buttons aren't bigger (and more spaced out). Might be actually worth it if that's the case, although obviously not at the current price.

BlueWord

:lol

This had better be that rumored "Old Timers" DS, and not a sign of things to come. Going by that stylus, though, I'd say it's probably the former.

AniHawk said:
Nintendo's just fucking with us now.
Perhaps they're just fucking with Activision's attempts to make DS peripherals for their rhythm games...

Activision: We're bringing Guitar Hero to DS using the GBA Slot!
Nintendo: Fuck You! We're releasing a new DS without a GBA Slot!
Activision: We're including fitted drum pads for Band Hero DSi!
Nintendo: Fuck You! Drum pads won't fit - we're making the DSi Bigger!
Activision: Guitar Hero 6 DS will be buttonless, played with your mind!
Nintendo: Fuck You! Next DS won't have screens or speakers!

Smash88

Banned
Terrible selection of colours, stylus looks ugly, the thing is huge and clunky. Why would I want something so big?

I'm happy with the DSi I have, small and compact and probably doesn't weigh 10 pounds. :lol

Metal Gear?! said:
Goddamn there are a lot of obtuse people here. First you can't figure out that this is just a large screen variant for old people who can't see too well, then when someone on the very first page spells it out for you... you still didn't read nor comprehend that fact.

Then you fret about how this is too big to be portable or how you don't want to add this to your collection... YOU KNOW WHAT MAYBE YOU DO NEED A LARGE SCREEN BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T READ SHIT BEFORE YOU POST

Or maybe I just feel like voicing my opinion regardless, on a gaming forum. :O

Oh and do you honestly believe North American elders will actually buy into this? :lol

No need to use caps. I can read just fine.

Goddamn there are a lot of obtuse people here. First you can't figure out that this is just a large screen variant for old people who can't see too well, then when someone on the very first page spells it out for you... you still didn't read nor comprehend that fact.

Then you fret about how this is too big to be portable or how you don't want to add this to your collection... YOU KNOW WHAT MAYBE YOU DO NEED A LARGE SCREEN BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T READ SHIT BEFORE YOU POST

Smash88 said:
Terrible selection of colours, stylus looks ugly, the thing is huge and clunky. Why would I want something so big?

I'm happy with the DSi I have, small and compact and probably doesn't weigh 10 pounds. :lol
LOOK AT YOUR POST. LOOK AT IT. READ IT AGAIN. DO YOU REALIZE HOW ILL-INFORMED YOU SOUND NOW?

Troidal said:
They got the name right, DS iLL. We're sick of the multiple iterations Nintendo!

Nintendo?

This is a message that all the big three can take to the bank.

I personally think that Nintendo did not like the fact that sony currently had more pointless revisions than they did, so they upped the ante

MisterHero

Maybe they will finally release Virtual Portable [GameBoy].

The extra girth is for added authenticity!

Please please please release Virtual Portable, Nintendo!

Metal Gear?! said:

Power post. Nintendo may have stumbled upon an unexpected audience for this product.

Hylian7

Yes Boss! said:
Ok,

I see the size difference. Definitely DO NOT WANT. This coming from a long time DS collector.

k3nji8.png
Agreed. At first I saw the pictures of it by itself and raged, then I saw the comparison pics against the original DSi, and I calmed down realizing I don't want to upgrade to this thing. Also, am I the only person that thinks the design of the device itself is ugly? I thought the DSi looked much better. I agree with the comments of it being marketed to an older crowd.

Coxswain

Metal Gear?! said:
YOU KNOW WHAT MAYBE YOU DO NEED A LARGE SCREEN BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T READ SHIT BEFORE YOU POST

LOOK AT YOUR POST. LOOK AT IT. READ IT AGAIN. DO YOU REALIZE HOW ILL-INFORMED YOU SOUND NOW?
You can't tell me there isn't a more meaningful cause for you to put all this fire behind.

Top Bottom