• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2014 - discussion thread for their E3 plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clownboat

Banned

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Tookay

tonight's gonna be great when the financial results come in and then we have people jumping back on the nintendo will make tons of money as a third party company you guys train. or maybe they'll show off qol tomorrow to really get things cooking. either way i am expecting real old testament type stuff.

That's tonight?

B-b-but I've got a final tomorrow.

fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Rubixcuba

Banned
Formally requesting one Adult ticket to the Nintendo Hype Train!

Also eep, Full Year Earning report to be released in 23 minutes. I can feel the Nintendoom already.

Pssssh, please:

The last time a submarine tried to torpedo an Olympic class ocean liner, things didn't end very well for the submarine.

Never underestimate the engineering efforts that were placed into the design of the RMS Titanic. Keep in mind that the only thing that could sink the ship was an object that weighed six times as much, and even then 9 times out of 10 the ship would have survived the circumstances.

Yes, yes, I've gone off an an absolutely titanic tangent here, but there's two things that get under my skin like no other: references to James Cameron's 1997 film "Titanic", and implications that Titanic was somehow poorly built or engineered or easily sinkable, and the past few pages of this thread had both.

Neff

The last time a submarine tried to torpedo an Olympic class ocean liner, things didn't end very well for the submarine.

Never underestimate the engineering efforts that were placed into the design of the RMS Titanic. Keep in mind that the only thing that could sink the ship was an object that weighed six times as much, and even then 9 times out of 10 the ship would have survived the circumstances.

Yes, yes, I've gone off an an absolutely titanic tangent here, but there's two things that get under my skin like no other: references to James Cameron's 1997 film "Titanic", and implications that Titanic was somehow poorly built or engineered or easily sinkable, and the past few pages of this thread had both.

All true. The only way the iceberg could have sunk the Titanic is if it hit the specific formation of iceberg that it did, at the specific speed and angle that it did, doing damage to all forward compartments simultaneously. And Thomas Andrews actually wanted his bulkheads to be watertight so as to make sinking literally impossible, but his idea was dismissed. Titanic's demise was an unfortunate, millions to one slice of bad luck. If they'd just rammed the thing head-on, they would have made a hell of a mess, but would probably have survived with minimal casualties.

greg400

Banned
I'm really not expecting a lot. I think we'll get more information on games previously announced and Zelda U as far as Wii U is concerned. Maybe Animal Crossing U will surface. For 3DS probably a new Rhythm Heaven and a remake of Majora's Mask.

I don't think we'll see F-Zero or Metroid yet (probably next year). Maybe Star Fox from a smaller scale studio on 3DS using the same engine as 64 3D but I don't think that's going to happen.

HUELEN10

So, this happened.

I think that silly promos with Mega 64 aside, Nintendo realizes how important this E3 is for them. My hype temporarily went down, but now it's up again. It's not that Nintendo knock it out of the part; they have to and they know it. Cannot wait!

Griss

So, this happened.

I think that silly promos with Mega 64 aside, Nintendo realizes how important this E3 is for them. My hype temporarily went down, but now it's up again. It's not that Nintendo knock it out of the part; they have to and they know it. Cannot wait!

I think it's more likely, especially with that huge 270 mil R&D investment, that the entire company is gearing up for their next big thing rather than wheeling out the big guns for the Wii U. I could be wrong, but I expect a somewhat disappointing show.

Zelda and X will keep us warm, though.

So, this happened.

I think the "silly" promos show that they realize.

I think it's more likely, especially with that huge 270 mil R&D investment, that the entire company is gearing up for their next big thing rather than wheeling out the big guns for the Wii U. I could be wrong, but I expect a somewhat disappointing show.

Zelda and X will keep us warm, though.
Does not compute

Sadist

tonight's gonna be great when the financial results come in and then we have people jumping back on the nintendo will make tons of money as a third party company you guys train. or maybe they'll show off qol tomorrow to really get things cooking. either way i am expecting real old testament type stuff.
Sadly, a lot of folks think this is an actual viable option at this point.

Poor souls.

Nintendo needs a killer E3 to kill some of this doom and gloom hovering over then.

Bayonetta 2 in July
Hyrule Warriors in August
X in September
New NFC IP by Miyamoto in October
Yarn Yoshi in November
Smash Bros in December

Then SMTxFE, Pokken, Fatal Frame, Zelda and Metroid, plus SM3DW and MK8 DLC announced for 2015.

On the 3DS side we get a new Advance Wars, Rhythm Heaven and Majora's Mask 3D for the remainder of the year.

Sadist

Nintendo needs a killer E3 to kill some of this doom and gloom hovering over then.
One does not... eh poor joke.

The next two years will be pretty rough for Nintendo, doesn't matter what they do/announce. Won't matter to me, I'll entertain myself with their software.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It was posted in the Play Nintendo thread, but I think it could be here as well (don't know if already posted, though)

So Mega 64 released their podcast, and they cover their involvement on the Nintendo E3 announcement.

Its the second half of the podcast, and they start talking about Nintendo at the 30 minute mark and spend the next 30 minutes talking about it.

http://youtu.be/zHVp-KhybNM?t=30m

Some highlights:

- Nintendo contacted Mega64 to possibly do a video right after PAX East ended. They got the call on the plane ride back to San Diego.
- They took an airplane up to Redmond and only had two days to film it and took another couple of days to edit.
- There's a Nintendo World Store up at Redmond that only has stuff that you can find there.
- Tickets for Nintendo NOA headquarters tours costs thousands of bucks and the proceeds are donated to the Make a Wish foundation!
- Nintendo supplied all the extras for the video.
- There were apparently a ton of takes of the scene where Erik Peterson splashes Reggie with water.
- Initially, Reggie had a smaller role and was only going to do a couple of scenes with about an hour or so of filming. Instead, Reggie cleared his Tuesday schedule and Nintendo made sure he could do whatever Mega64 asked him to do.
- Normally, NOA doesn't allow to anyone to film inside their headquarters, so initially they were going to use an office site a block away. Reggie gave the okay to film inside, and that's when they were able to get the conference room scene. This is apparently the first time somebody was allowed to film inside headquarters outside the studio areas ever.
- Because of that, the video was even mentioned at places like CNN, and Forbes for showing a part of Nintendo that many don't get to see.
- There probably won't be a making of or behind the scenes companion video because of this, because there's a lot of sensitive info that Nintendo probably doesn't want leaked, even accidentally.
- Rocco had access to Nintendo's backlog, and he simply listened to the Skyward Sword soundtrack, and liked it. That's why it was playing. So, that wasn't actually a tease of what's coming up next.

mikeyw85

Banned
All true. The only way the iceberg could have sunk the Titanic is if it hit at the specific formation of iceberg that it did, at the specific speed and angle that it did, doing damage to all forwards compartments simultaneously. And Thomas Andrews actually wanted his bulkheads to be watertight so as to make sinking literally impossible, but his idea was dismissed. Titanic's demise was an unfortunate, millions to one slice of bad luck. If they'd just rammed the thing head-on, they would have made a hell of a mess, but would probably have survived with minimal casualties.
The rivets were of sub-par quality, which didn't help either. Probably contributed to why so many compartments got flooded.

Kouriozan

Ok guys, I'm officially hyped now.
Maybe we'll get some tease at the Q&A session but I can live without it.

People thought the Zelda music was a tease about E3 but :
"- Rocco had access to Nintendo's backlog, and he simply listened to the Skyward Sword soundtrack, and liked it. That's why it was playing. So, that wasn't actually a tease of what's coming up next."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom