• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2014 - discussion thread for their E3 plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Pretty sure Cranky at VGX being the only thing from Nintendo was done on purpose since IMO most of the reveals were not all that interesting along with having some guest star be rude about everything which all made it seem like a parody in itself. So eh. The show was hilarious to watch though so it gets an A for effort on the Comedy grading scale.

I think XenoGAF would be a cool name.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Man X looks soo good. Look at the visuals T_T

*Thinks about what Zelda Wii U might look like.*

ibwNkgBGrLbEeL.gif

AniHawk

Yet it ended up being one of the few things of note in the VGX, go figure :p At first I was feeling bad for Reggie, going to the show with something we had written off as the most unexciting prospect...But in retrospective, I feel bad for Geoff, who tried to get something more out of Reggie hoping to save that trainwreck of a show.

i don't feel bad for keighly. you don't make your super awesome 3 hour advertisement and then invite someone to reveal something when you don't know what it is.

Wasn't it directly said that the art style they'll be going for with Zelda U is one that they haven't tried previously? And wasn't "realistic" rather directly denied when they said that?

i think that just means it will have something else done to it to make it stylish. it won't look like the e3 demo. it'll probably have some effect like valkyria chronicles or skyward sword. that's the reason we got the wind waker hd after all.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wasn't it directly said that the art style they'll be going for with Zelda U is one that they haven't tried previously? And wasn't "realistic" rather directly denied when they said that?

Considering that both Mario Kart 8 and X looks beautiful, no matter what arttsyle they go for, it can blow our minds.

Yes. But we can still hope they have the sense to prioritize the art style with maximum possible commercial success over feeling clever.

Jigolo

Speaking of X do you guys think there will be any connections regarding the story to xenoblade? I really don't feel like playing Xenoblade

Blues1990

Speaking of X do you guys think there will be any connections regarding the story to xenoblade? I really don't feel like playing Xenoblade

With little information we have on the X Wii U game, I can't make a good judgement if it is related to Xenoblade or not. It would be cool if there were some nods & such, but again, it's unknown at this present time.

AniHawk

it may be an actual sequel to xenoblade going off the original teaser trailer from january 2013.

if it isn't, it'll be like every other xeno game and be about life and god and what it means to be human.

Enforced

I really excited on Miyamoto's new IP. It'll be interesting to see. As for zelda, I wonder what instrument they will have this time.

javac

You know what I want to see in the next Zelda (and X for that matter) and what I think would look cool? The day/night transitions and dat Nintendo HD weather and lighting. Man just a few weeks. I know a lot of people will be pissed at the visuals whatever happens, but the expectations are soo high it's bound to. Not saying it won't meet expectations, but our expectations are pretty specific. It will be nothing we can even imagine, because there's soo many variations and paths it can take from music to setting to character design. I hope we get some reinvented Link. Some cool different take on him.

I don't have any specific idea as to what Zelda should look like, I love it when it challenges me and surprises me like Wind Waker. The unexpected is cool. Having said that the possibilities are soo vast. I wouldn't mind something that resembled Mononoke.
I've always been against the idea that Zelda should 'look like this' or that or whatever. It can be whatever it wants and maybe it'll look weird at first, but I'll always give it a chance and look at it from the devs point of view.

rokero

finally saw that WebM thing had to download an app, is it supposed to have sound? anyway it was awesome great job Nibel

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'd like a BERSERK version of Zelda but I fear the world isn't ready for that. And I wouldn't equate that to Demons/Dark Souls although the BERSERK inspiration is there.

Sami+

Apparently, there are American flags seen in the Direct from a month or two ago, which would almost certainly place it in a different universe. Truthfully though, we don't even have a full title yet. Just "X". There's very little we actually know about it.

I'd like a BERSERK version of Zelda but I fear the world isn't ready for that. And I wouldn't equate that to Demons/Dark Souls although the BERSERK inspiration is there.

Might get shit for this, but I'm dreadfully bored of lighthearted/cartoony Zelda. I'll be disappointed if the next one isn't dark fantasy like MM, Berserk, Souls, or whatever.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Cool, what do you mean with aimed at the core?

Those were Nintendo's own words supposedly at the Q&A a few days ago. EAD is developing multiple games that will demonstrate the GamePad feature and aim it at the "core audience" (aka the niche active Nintendo core userbase).

It's definitely the Nintendo Land programming team.

Jigolo

With little information we have on the X Wii U game, I can't make a good judgement if it is related to Xenoblade or not. It would be cool if there were some nods & such, but again, it's unknown at this present time.

it may be an actual sequel to xenoblade going off the original teaser trailer from january 2013.

if it isn't, it'll be like every other xeno game and be about life and god and what it means to be human.

Apparently, there are American flags seen in the Direct from a month or two ago, which would almost certainly place it in a different universe. Truthfully though, we don't even have a full title yet. Just "X". There's very little we actually know about it.

Interesting. I'm rooting for a different universe.

What are the chances that we could see a new Metroid game by Retro, guys?

A metroid along with the new fatal frame and Zelda trailer. Should be a great event.

AniHawk

Those were Nintendo's own words supposedly at the Q&A a few days ago. EAD is developing multiple games that will demonstrate the GamePad feature and aim it at the "core audience" (aka the niche active Nintendo core userbase).

It's definitely the Nintendo Land programming team.

i'm struggling to think of games that might work in that capacity. if it's retail, they'd have to be 'smaller' titles in concept. definitely something like star fox, a purely 2d metroid, and maybe something like pokemon snap- the kicker being that they come with a figurine at $60 or something.

AniHawk

Interesting. I'm rooting for a different universe.

if you want extreme spoilers on xenoblade, it ends with
the creation of a new world

at the very least, i think there might be callbacks and hints, not unlike with xenosaga and xenogears.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
i'm struggling to think of games that might work in that capacity. if it's retail, they'd have to be 'smaller' titles in concept. definitely something like star fox, a purely 2d metroid, and maybe something like pokemon snap- the kicker being that they come with a figurine at $60 or something.

I'm expecting 3 different $29-39 games. Like imagine 3 of the better Nintendo Land games, slightly more fleshed out. Voila.

At least we might get Star Fox out of it! Or some niche Nintendo franchise.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They said Project X was a new IP(but we'll see). Will probably have vague shoutouts to older entries. One of Xenoblade's characters was essentially a knockoff of KOS-MOS and they tend to have the Ether term thrown in to replace magic as well as the usual fight a god/embrace certain philosophy kind of thing.

Xenogears and Xenosaga were more clear to see with the callbacks though.

Pachimari

I need:

01) Animal Crossing U
New Leaf were my first one and I totally love it.

02) F-Zero U
I have never had a F-Zero game but loved the one for N64.

03) Super Smash Bros release date
i want a precise release date. I'm hyped and have never played one in the series.

04) Fatal Frame U western release confirmation

I don't know what I would like more. I guess a system update with faster loading times and for the tv feature to work. I'm not too interested in either Zelda U, Metroid, X or Bayo 2.

I also think they'll announce Animal Crossing and Zelda U and some other weird stuff.

AniHawk

I'm expecting 3 different $29-39 games. Like imagine 3 of the better Nintendo Land games, slightly more fleshed out. Voila.

At least we might get Star Fox out of it! Or some niche Nintendo franchise.

yeah this is where it gets hard. i doubt it's f-zero because racing games need time. the other single player games wouldn't work as full games or have fuller franchise titles coming out. luigi's mansion and the mario chase games worked best with the gamepad, but i don't know how they become a retail game, nor were they aimed at traditional nintendo fans.

Banned
I'm really iffy on Miyamoto's new IP. Is it going to be a small downloadable title that will be fun for a few short bursts like Pushmo? Or will it be a new IP focused on a gimmick like Wii Music or NFC game? Or will it be an actual new game aimed at the hardcore nintendo fan?

The last new IP from Miyamoto I absolutely adored came out in 2001 (13 years ago) and that was Pikmin.

AniHawk

I'm really iffy on Miyamoto's new IP. Is it going to be a small downloadable title that will be fun for a few short bursts like Pushmo? Or will it be a new IP focused on a gimmick like Wii Music or NFC game? Or will it be an actual new game aimed at the hardcore nintendo fan?

The last new IP from Miyamoto I absolutely adored came out in 2001 (13 years ago) and that was Pikmin.

if i had to guess, it will be the flagship software for the qol service. he talks about making new characters, that he had done that with pikmin and the miis, and that it's time for another. it makes sense to me that they'd come up with a mascot specifically to sell whatever it is they're planning.

Malus

EAD is developing multiple games that will demonstrate the GamePad feature and aim it at the "core audience" (aka the niche active Nintendo core userbase).

I didn't read it that way. (From StreetsAhead's translation)

"The software titles that we will show at E3, which make use of the Game Pad, will range from near complete titles to titles that are early in development, but will demonstrate the titles' core appeals."

Seems to me that he's saying that they'll demonstrate the appeal of games that are early in development. Like they will get across the games main idea/hook even though it's still rough.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

hmmm interesting. That and the futuristic look corroborates the theory that it could be
set many centuries in the future of the new reality
. Just a theory tho. The only thing that matters is that game should come out RIGHT NOW

Mine01

hmmm interesting. That and the futuristic look corroborates the theory that it could be
set many centuries in the future of the new reality
. Just a theory tho. The only thing that matters is that game should come out RIGHT NOW

Actually
didn't both gods (forgot their names, the biones and mechonis gods) were usa scientists? i meant, could this be a many many years prequel?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Actually
didn't both gods (forgot their names, the biones and mechonis gods) were usa scientists? i meant, could this be a many many years prequel?

I don't recall them being
americans, surely Klaus doesn't sound like a US name, but maybe I'm wrong. A prequel would be hard to make, story wise....if it's related to Xenoblade, that is. I mean, how would you explain the extremely advanced tech existing before Shulk's time? Maybe that is the age and planet Klaus and Meyneth come from? It could be, sure

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I didn't read it that way. (From StreetsAhead's translation)

"The software titles that we will show at E3, which make use of the Game Pad, will range from near complete titles to titles that are early in development, but will demonstrate the titles' core appeals."

Seems to me that he's saying that they'll demonstrate the appeal of games that are early in development. Like they will get across the games main idea/hook even though it's still rough.

Actually that sounds accurate. Okay. So Nintendo Land team making more of the same shit.

Mine01

I don't recall them being
americans, surely Klaus doesn't sound like a US name, but maybe I'm wrong. A prequel would be hard to make, story wise....if it's related to Xenoblade, that is. I mean, how would you explain the extremely advanced tech existing before Shulk's time? Maybe that is the age and planet Klaus and Meyneth come from? It could be, sure

Yea you are right, as i said i dont remember if they ever say where they were from.

Anyway, as you said, the only thing that matters is the game releasing asap lol.

AniHawk

Actually that sounds accurate. Okay. So Nintendo Land team making more of the same shit.

so instead of nintendo land being one thing, it will be nintendo land being split into three things. multiplayer package game, co-op package game and single player package game. $50 each with a figurine.

BM8

Neo Member
Nintendos the best video game company to give you something you didn't know you wanted. For the sake of the Wii u, I can only hope they'll pull this off. It's a double edged sword.

onilink88

People tend to use the fact that there was a Shulk-lookalike in the first teaser, but...

This is nothing new for Takahashi. There are zero connections between Fei and Abel, Elly and Nephilim, and Citan and Jin.

So this

holds no weight when used as an argument that it might be a Xenoblade sequel.

The two major hints I'm talking about are the facts that
- by the end of Xenoblade,
ether-based technology is still being used (that's how the High Entia were able to restore Fiora's body),
while there is antimatter technology, stuff that uses real-world science, in X's universe
- there's "United States" and its flag labeled on the ship

X is almost certainly set very far into the future of our very own universe where we have advanced space-faring technology, and that's a foreign planet that humans have ended up on accidentally or are there for the purposes of terraforming and colonizing.

All that aside, though, you should really play Xenoblade to get an idea of what you're getting into.

so instead of nintendo land being one thing, it will be nintendo land being split into three things. multiplayer package game, co-op package game and single player package game. $50 each with a figurine.
Would be a waste of time and effort I hope all of you are wrong about that.

OT- Is there a way to view webm on mobile???

Riki

You know what I want to see in the next Zelda (and X for that matter) and what I think would look cool? The day/night transitions and dat Nintendo HD weather and lighting. Man just a few weeks. I know a lot of people will be pissed at the visuals whatever happens, but the expectations are soo high it's bound to. Not saying it won't meet expectations, but our expectations are pretty specific. It will be nothing we can even imagine, because there's soo many variations and paths it can take from music to setting to character design. I hope we get some reinvented Link. Some cool different take on him.

I don't have any specific idea as to what Zelda should look like, I love it when it challenges me and surprises me like Wind Waker. The unexpected is cool. Having said that the possibilities are soo vast. I wouldn't mind something that resembled Mononoke.

I've always been against the idea that Zelda should 'look like this' or that or whatever. It can be whatever it wants and maybe it'll look weird at first, but I'll always give it a chance and look at it from the devs point of view.
X definitely has day/night and weather. In fact in the last gameplay we got, you can see the sun setting as the battle goes on.

SirShandy

Wow, people are really out to vilify this stuff before it's even shown. There's your everyday normal pessimism, then there's this hypothetical hunting for resentment. Oh well.

I would love another game in the Pushmo series though. Those are some of the best puzzle games of the last few years.

Linkhero1

Yup, and in the second teaser, we saw some of the various weather patterns (this is D-e-f-'s).
This is amazing.

X is going to be such a good game. I can see it being my second favorite Wii U game behind Tropical Freeze :p

I gotta finish up Xenoblade asap in case they do surprise us with X this year.

Rainbow being the oddest weather effect.

Yeah, but if it's anything like Xenoblade, it's probable that some rare enemies come out when there's a rainbow. Captain Rainbow.

ohlawd

Wow, people are really out to vilify this stuff before it's even shown. There's your everyday normal pessimism, then there's this hypothetical hunting for resentment. Oh well.

I would love another game in the Pushmo series though. Those are some of the best puzzle games of the last few years.
It's sarcasm, man. Check the tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom