• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

Pachimari

So, are we even gonna see new joycons for the Switch? I thought the whole point of it would, that we could get joycons with another placement of the analogue stick, or gamecube joycons etc. I have this feeling that they'll only give us different colors throughout the lifespan of the Switch welp.

watershed

Banned
So, are we even gonna see new joycons for the Switch? I thought the whole point of it would, that we could get joycons with another placement of the analogue stick, or gamecube joycons etc. I have this feeling that they'll only give us different colors throughout the lifespan of the Switch welp.

Never was it confirmed that Nintendo would release joycon with different control configurations, that was all just fan speculation. Also, the system hasn't even been out for 3 months yet. Releasing new configurations now would sow confusion.

I think we're at least a year off from seeing significant controller variations, and nothing in the first-party lineup even stands to make use of them in the near future. When we get a 2D Mario at some point (and whether it's in the New series or not, co-op is here to stay), that would be the time to push the alternative the Switch really needs, a Joy-Con L/pair with a good D-pad in place of the analogue stick (yes, the stick, not the diamond buttons). We'll get something to that effect someday, but there just isn't much of a point to it yet from a first-party standpoint, and not enough to drive demand from the indie/third-party library that could benefit from it.

Never was it confirmed that Nintendo would release joycon with different control configurations, that was all just fan speculation. Also, the system hasn't even been out for 3 months yet. Releasing new configurations now would sow confusion.

Modular control schemes, while not confirmed, were in the earliest post-Wii U patents that were thought to pertain to the NX, and have always been heavily implied. It's the natural course to pursue when it comes to idiosyncratic control accessories (always a thing with Nintendo), and not unrealistic to hope for at all.

Dystify

Nintendo said that there would be more details about E3 announced closer to the event. Anyone think we will get some of those goodies tomorrow?

What else do we need to know? We know they will do a Spotlight for Switch games, focused on 2017 titles. We know they will do Treehouse streams throughout E3. We know they will do two tournaments, one for ARMS, one for Splatoon 2. We have confirmation of the dates, teams, casters for these tournaments.

Isn't that pretty much everything?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
With Pokkén Tournament DX and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon announced, it looks like we now know what Switch's missing monthly title was and what 3DS's big holiday title will be, respectively. If I had to guess, I think the remaining 3DS announcements at E3 (all during the Treehouse Live segment) will be Kirby's new game, the Superstar Saga remke, and maybe a digital-only game.

My updated Switch release schedule guess:

June: ARMS
July: Splatoon 2
August: Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
September: Pokkén Tournament DX
October: Fire Emblem Warriors
November: Super Mario Odyssey
December: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

My expected Spotlight coverage is now Mario and Rabbids, FEW, Mario, Xenoblade, perhaps a little bit of Splatoon 2, and perhaps a couple 2018 games.

Anyone else have new expectations for E3 after the Pokémon Direct?

EDIT: It looks like a new Pokkén Tournament DX tournament has been added to E3's events for Nintendo, taking place on Wednesday morning. The PR for this also stated that Treehouse Live is expected to begin at around 9:30 AM on Tuesday after the E3 Spotlight, so I guess expect the Spotlight to be closer to 30 minutes than an hour.

Hopefully the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon announcement can be a way for GAF to keep their expectations in check for next week. Nintendo will have a solid E3, but it's not going to be a show filled with your deepest first party fantasies. Expect a small number of new announcements and enjoy the extensive coverage of games we already know about. Which is fine.

Hopefully the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon announcement can be a way for GAF to keep their expectations in check for next week. Nintendo will have a solid E3, but it's not going to be a show filled with your deepest first party fantasies. Expect a small number of new announcements and enjoy the extensive coverage of games we already know about. Which is fine.

Absolutely my thoughts exactly. It's good to get a reminder to keep our expectations a bit grounded.

Stars is being saved for E3, don't believe the lies!!!

jmizzal

All I want is Retro to have a new IP, and at least Metroid for switch from somebody.

But it will prob be Retro DK 3rd and no Metroid and I leave disappointed

Recalculating speculation from new info. Now with Stars rumor debunked and Pokken out of the way as a possible direct announcement, we got:

Mario Odyssey Trailer and short gameplay segment
Splatoon 2 trailer
Xenoblade 2
[New IP Curveball]
Retro Studios Game
Third Party Reel [would include mario x rabbids]
Super Smash Bros for Switch

With the short time, I actually expect Ubisoft to fully take on announcing and explaining Mario and Rabbids in lieu of Nintendo.

Josh5890

What else do we need to know? We know they will do a Spotlight for Switch games, focused on 2017 titles. We know they will do Treehouse streams throughout E3. We know they will do two tournaments, one for ARMS, one for Splatoon 2. We have confirmation of the dates, teams, casters for these tournaments.

Well we now know about the Pokken tournament and treehouse streaming times.

Recalculating speculation from new info. Now with Stars rumor debunked and Pokken out of the way as a possible direct announcement, we got:

Mario Odyssey Trailer and short gameplay segment
Splatoon 2 trailer
Xenoblade 2
[New IP Curveball]
Retro Studios Game
Third Party Reel [would include mario x rabbids]
Super Smash Bros for Switch

With the short time, I actually expect Ubisoft to fully take on announcing and explaining Mario and Rabbids in lieu of Nintendo.

I'm gonna get my expectations as low as possible and expect just Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario x Rabbids, and Xenoblade 2.

Mario alone will be great though.

what-ok

I would love to see a fleshed out version of the 8bit Breath of the Wild tech demo. Please make it happen.
I know it won't.

I think my predictions are fair:

• right out of the gate with Super Mario Odyssey - Trailer that melts faces, release date in November
  • ARMS final trailer with tournament details
  • Splatoon 2 final trailer with tournament details
  • Zelda DLC(s) trailer + release dates
  • Third party montage with emphasis on Skyrim and Fifa
  • Possible Nindie montage, but I wouldn't be surprised if these are saved for Treehouse
  • Addressing Virtual Console + Online information, probably announce a direct later in the summer to supply more details
  • Monster Hunter XX localization, release date in October
  • Mario x Rabbids, release date in September
  • Fire Emblem Warriors - Trailer and release date (August?)
  • Xenoblade 2 - Trailer and release date [Mid December or January 2018]
  • one final surprise announcement, whether that is Smash DX, Metroid, or Retro's new game. I think they have at least one bomb they are sitting on.

Neiteio

A surprise or two beyond what we know would be most welcome, especially since there are some big question marks that seem due for answers (i.e. the rumored SSB, a new Animal Crossing, the rumored Pikmin, whatever Retro's been making, etc).

But yeah, if nothing else... Super Mario Odyssey looks strong enough that, if this were 2016, it could've carried its own show much like Zelda did. So we're getting a blowout on that, PLUS finally seeing Mario + Rabbids in action, and more than 10 seconds of Fire Emblem Warriors, and likely more on Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which has been repeatedly confirmed for 2017 in all regions.

I also think we'll see new stuff on Splatoon 2. It's their next big release for Switch after ARMS. They showed Hero Mode last time, which makes me think they must have some exciting stuff to show for E3.

Beyond those, after the Spotlight, I'm looking forward to the three invitational tournaments (Pokken DX, Splatoon 2 and ARMS), and more on Pokken DX itself during the Treehouse. Treehouse is confirmed to run all three days and will likely showcase some neat 3DS titles, too, including Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and quite possibly the previously announced Kirby multiplayer action title (teased in the April Direct), and maybe the Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga DX that was found in eShop listings.

The best part is, regardless of what happens, ARMS comes out at the end of the week, literally the day after E3. Also, we're apparently getting a free Pokken DX demo during E3.

When was that debunked? Because TPC rereleases Sun/Moon with modified content?
The original rumor was: New Pokemon game is Pokemon Stars (a single entry) for Nintendo Switch targetting summer/pushed back till the end of the year.
None of these is correct

Zedark

The original rumor was: New Pokemon game is Pokemon Stars (a single entry) for Nintendo Switch targetting summer/pushed back till the end of the year.
None of these is correct
There could still be a Switch version that only comes to Switch with a few exclusive features. I'm currently not ready to believe it, though.

None of these is correct

There could still be a Switch version that only comes to Switch with a few exclusive features. I'm currently not ready to believe it, though.

I'm in the "let's wait until E3 comes and goes" camp on that one. I'm not fully convinced that Stars exists, but I don't think that today's Direct proves that rumor false. That Nintendo released a "summer" trailer for Switch that features Pokken DX shortly after the Direct seems to hint that they want to talk Fall games at E3.

jariw

None of these is correct

I agree that the summer target is incorrect. The rest can't yet be known until later this year.

If there's a game called "Stars" that is announced by TPC/Game Freak this autumn to release in late February 2018, would that make the rumor true or untrue?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Since you wrote this, there's a Pokken Tournament too

Oregano

Or how about they actually announce some flipping Switch games, especially third party ones?

It's certainly not fine if we come out of E3 and Nintendo has nothing to show for it.

Zedark

I agree that the summer target is incorrect. The rest can't yet be known until later this year.

If there's a game called "Stars" that is announced by TPC/Game Freak this autumn to release in late February 2018, would that make the rumor true or untrue?
They never claimed it will release during the summer, the report stated that at one point it was planned for summer but was already pushed back to fall.

Everybody seems to forget about BotW DLC in their lists.
DLC seems more like "announce it when it's close to release". Showing it off right now when part 1 isn't even out yet doesn't seem wise. Could be a big direct surprise later in the year

The issue is that, if they had a game targeting summer originally, even if it was pushed back, why would they delay it a year more and make another expansion/sequel?

DLC seems more like "announce it when it's close to release". Showing it off right now when part 1 isn't even out yet doesn't seem wise. Could be a big direct surprise later in the year

Oh! I thought that poster was referring to Nintendo just giving DLC pack 1 a release date. I'd agree that they'll likely wait until later to give us info on pack 2.

Or how about they actually announce some flipping Switch games, especially third party ones?

It's certainly not fine if we come out of E3 and Nintendo has nothing to show for it.

life is easier if you just accept that dream is pretty much dead. I expect only at max 1 or 2 new games announced and those will be very early 2018 games and then we will get a direct in the fall going into more detail on there actual 2018 lineup.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

there already are more joycons than months on switch's shoulder

grey
neon
yellow (arms)
new neon (splatoon)

and the console is three months old

Oh! I thought that poster was referring to Nintendo just giving DLC pack 1 a release date. I'd agree that they'll likely wait until later to give us info on pack 2.
"BOTW DLC Pack 1 will be available after the presentation" could be something they do... but, idk. Nintendo also has a lot of post show content that I don't think they'd want people to skip out on to play some DLC

DLC seems more like "announce it when it's close to release". Showing it off right now when part 1 isn't even out yet doesn't seem wise. Could be a big direct surprise later in the year.
Depends on how big the story DLC actually is and how much it differentiates it self from the main game.

If it's like MM is to OoT, then I think we can expect at least a teaser.

When Nintendo is doing well, they tend to only announce software 6-12 months out.

You may not like that, but the sooner people accept it, the easier it will be to ground expectations.

MoonFrog

-SMO
-Splatoon 2
-Arms
-Pokken
-Mario x Rabbids
-Xenoblade 2
-BotW DLC
-Pokemon Ultra S&M

I'm hoping Pokemon US&M is relegated to Treehouse, after the direct. It seems like they were getting it out of the way.

I'm guessing Splatoon, Arms, and Pokken will still show to push the Switch's summer agenda. If MH XX is coming west, it'd be part of that too. It is strange if this is central to the direct, given they could've waited a week to announce Pokken DX. MH XX localization could be the surprise here.

The other thing is Arms/Splatoon already have those tournaments to push them, so focusing on this summer patch is going to be really redundant for the core audience.

So I'm hoping those games get minimal time.

I also hope Rabbids time is minimal. But that's just because I have no interest in that game.

As for the holiday, Pokemon, Mario, and Xenoblade is probably all the big software we're getting from Nintendo. Throw Skyrim in there and and some small games and that season might take up a big chunk of the direct.

But yeah I'm not seeing anything in this so far that makes me think a good E3. It is really going to need to push the veil of 2018 imo or it is going to be lackluster.

Right now I'm imagining a developer highlight of Todd Howard singing "yes, Switch is relevant to the western developer" as they trumpet a 6 year old game most of the audience on GAF has already played. That'd eat up time too.

But there's got to be more than this in 30 minutes...I guess there doesn't need to be but my god even in 30 minutes that showing would be boring.

I've got to believe that there are a couple surprises, hopefully good ones lurking.

Neiteio

ARMS in June.

Splatoon 2 in July.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle in August.

Pokken Tournament DX in September.

And I'm guessing:

Fire Emblem Warriors in October.

Super Mario Odyssey in November.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in December.

They can obviously do more than one game a month. But even with what we know, it fills out the calendar nicely.

There was a great Analysis of the pikmin speculation here done by a GAF user summarising various hints and insiders behaviours that would lead to think hey pikmin is actually the game miyamoto was referring to

I assume you're referring to my post here.

In a nutshell, yeah, I think Pikmin 4 will happen eventually. But I doubt that was the game Miyamoto was referring to and so I think people should keep their expectations in check regarding Pikmin at E3.

Especially with how Pokemon Stars turned out, that's another big bullet through the credibility of the Pikmin 4 murmurs, since it was LKD and Eurogamer who broke both of those. I have a feeling their source had accurate information but also led them on in a few respects.

MoonFrog

When Nintendo is doing well, they tend to only announce software 6-12 months out.

You may not like that, but the sooner people accept it, the easier it will be to ground expectations.
That time frame includes half of 2018. I hope Nintendo has a couple heavy hitters in winter/spring and I hope they announce them.

Oregano

Okay then how about some third party games releasing 6-12 months out? Cause there's nothing right now.

I'd be fine with Nintendo showing only stuff that's releasing soon if it meant they actually had stuff to show.

Okay then how about some third party games releasing 6-12 months out? Cause there's nothing right now.

I'd be fine with Nintendo showing only stuff that's releasing soon if it meant they actually had stuff to show.

I'm excited for Skyrim... and DQXI, though who the hell knows when that's coming west.

Well, that will be incredibly underwhelming for me. The only games we currently know about that I'm interested in are Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. I need some big announcements and surprises otherwise it'll just be one big disappointment for me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable with my expectations either, I fully expect Sony to have a few big surprises up their sleeves or a look into some games we've heard about but never seen. Nintendo are my favourite company and I look forward to their E3 the most each year but for some reason, they just don't focus on it the way I think they should. I get the feeling I might be coming out of the spotlight incredibly disappointed, luckily, however, the treehouse should cheer me up a bit. It has for the last 2 years at least.

MoonFrog

Well, that will be incredibly underwhelming for me. The only games we currently know about that I'm interested in are Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. I need some big announcements and surprises otherwise it'll just be one big disappointment for me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable with my expectations either, I fully expect Sony to have a few big surprises up their sleeves or a look into some games we've heard about but never seen. Nintendo are my favourite company and I look forward to their E3 the most each year but for some reason, they just don't focus on it the way I think they should. I get the feeling I might be coming out of the spotlight incredibly disappointed, luckily, however, the treehouse should cheer me up a bit. It has for the last 2 years at least.
Yeah, I don't think that if low expectations version happens we should be content and the problem is wanting more, personally.

People are really fixated on EA's FIFA thing, but Capcom's approach to the Switch is absolutely bizarre. They claim that Switch is part of their multiplatform strategy, but have announced multiple games without Switch versions. And all of these games are rereleases, so there's zero chance power is an issue. What's going on? Additionally, they made a big deal about porting the Resident Evil engine, but for what? They aren't even porting old games, so what's that about?

What a weird situation.

Josh5890

People are really fixated on EA's FIFA thing, but Capcom's approach to the Switch is absolutely bizarre. They claim that Switch is part of their multiplatform strategy, but have announced multiple games without Switch versions. And all of these games are rereleases, so there's zero chance power is an issue. What's going on? Additionally, they made a big deal about porting the Resident Evil engine, but for what? They aren't even porting old games, so what's that about?

What a weird situation.

Outside of Ultra Street Fighter 2 has Capcom announced anything else? My gut tells me there had to have been some sort of falling out between Capcom and Nintendo because Capcom's virtual silence with the Switch is weird.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I assume you're referring to my post here.

In a nutshell, yeah, I think Pikmin 4 will happen eventually. But I doubt that was the game Miyamoto was referring to and so I think people should keep their expectations in check regarding Pikmin at E3.

Especially with how Pokemon Stars turned out, that's another big bullet through the credibility of the Pikmin 4 murmurs, since it was LKD and Eurogamer who broke both of those. I have a feeling their source had accurate information but also led them on in a few respects.

Yes
thank you, and sorry if I didnt remember your username :)
thanks for the heads up: your summary (unfortunately) seems pretty accurate, and is another crux to Nintendo actual support to the Switch (in terms of management of IPs, episodes, teams and merging of portable/home software streams so far)

Outside of Ultra Street Fighter 2 has Capcom announced anything else? My gut tells me there had to have been some sort of falling out between Capcom and Nintendo because Capcom's virtual silence with the Switch is weird.

Uuuuh
they just announced MHXX for Switch.
And confirmed they will include Switch in their multiplatform development more in the incoming months
And that they asked for more RAM to Nintendo and Nintendo said yes
And that they are working to adapt RE Engine to the console

We don't even know when DQXI is releasing on Switch in Japan, nevermind the west.

I'd be shocked if it doesn't release within the next 12 months.

Well, not shocked, more sorta surprised.

But basically I was responding to your claim that there is no third party support announced for release within the next 6 to 12 months. Though now that I think about it that time frame excludes Skyrim... so... who knows!

Welll...now that Pokken is announce I feel like there are too many online games in such a short span of time.

We got MK8D, Arms, Splatoon 2, and now Pokken. Thats four big online games in five months. Considering (atleast to me) its hard to focus on more than a couple online games at a time without getting worse at the ones you play less, this really seems like overkill. Especially since both Arms and Pokken are fighting games.

I just really hope they don't announce anymore online games until its late 2018. As it is I won't have time for pretty much any single player Switch games this year aside from maybe Mario Odyssey. Calm down Nintendo. Spread the online games. AHHH!!! O_O

I'll buy them all but I hope I can manage playing them all. I can never do two fighters. T_T.

Top Bottom