• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

MoonFrog

It's sad but I think we're going to have to come to terms with the fact Nintendo is completely irrelevant for third parties, including Japanese ones. MH5 skipping Switch will be the final nail in the coffin.
Ugh...Switch is the perfect device for "let's save the domestic market without sacrificing western ambitions." It provides the answer to the DS/PS3 divide by allowing PS4/Switch multiplatform. Perhaps it comes too late. Perhaps Japan is going to die to mobile. But...I'd like it if Japanese third parties stopped joining in on the firing squad, is all.

Who knows maybe MH5 on PS4 convinces Japan to return to the TV and all works out? I just don't see that happening.

And I think any fan of Japanese games should want a healthy domestic Japanese market. Nintendo has tied themself to that struggle under Iwata, perhaps not the best fight to fight, but it's the fight I want fought.

Trevelyan

Banned
Metroid gets forgotten once again.

Are you arguing the sales of Metroid are better than Animal Crossing?

1) Mario
2) Zelda
3) Animal Crossing??
4) Metroid

Ya' know, because Animal Crossing started on the NES along with the first two.
/s

I'd argue Nintendo's biggest IPs are:

1) Mario(anything related to Mario, including Kart)
2) Pokemon
3) Super Smash Bros
4) Animal Crossing
5) Zelda

Edited to include Pokemon

Oregano

Ugh...Switch is the perfect device for "let's save the domestic market without sacrificing western ambitions." It provides the answer to the DS/PS3 divide by allowing PS4/Switch multiplatform. Perhaps it comes too late. Perhaps Japan is going to die to mobile. But...I'd like it if Japanese third parties stopped joining in on the firing squad, is all.

Who knows maybe MH5 on PS4 convinces Japan to return to the TV and all works out? I just don't see that happening.

And I think any fan of Japanese games should want a healthy domestic Japanese market. Nintendo has tied themself to that struggle under Iwata, perhaps not the best fight to fight, but it's the fight I want fought.

*shrugs* I agree, it makes absolute sense for them to at least try. Third parties struggles domestically are surely tied to their complete avoidance of the market leading systems.

Are you arguing the sales of Metroid are better than Animal Crossing?

Certainly not - but I'd say it has more claim to the title of "3rd biggest Nintendo IP" than Animal Crossing specifically, at least by way of being one of the original 3 first party IP on the NES.

I'd argue Nintendo's biggest IPs are:

1) Mario(anything related to Mario, including Kart)
2) Pokemon
3) Super Smash Bros
4) Animal Crossing
5) Zelda

Edited to include Pokemon

I'd put Zelda at 3, then Smash and Animal Crossing, but it all depends what you're measuring it by.

Because Metroid games don't sell well at all.

Which is sad because a big part of that falls on Nintendo not knowing what it wants to do with it.

Prime outsold the original Metroid after all, it's just that since then Nintendo hasn't bothered to give it the push it deserves.

Certainly not - but I'd say it has more claim to the title of "3rd biggest Nintendo IP" than Animal Crossing specifically, at least by way of being one of the original 3 first party IP on the NES.

I'd put Zelda at 3, then Smash and Animal Crossing, but it all depends what you're measuring it by.

Which is sad because a big part of that falls on Nintendo not knowing what it wants to do with it.

Prime outsold the original Metroid after all, it's just that since then Nintendo hasn't bothered to give it the push it deserves.
But that's not what people mean by biggest IP. They mean in terms of appeal and success, two things Metroid has never had in abundance. If we're being real, Nintendo's Big 3 would really be Mario, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing, with Smash following at 4th

They certainly tried with the Prime series and Other M, even if the latter wasn't particularly great. None of them sold particularly great, even Prime 1 and Super only sold decently, which isn't enough anymore with how much more games cost to make these days

KingV

But that's not what people mean by biggest IP. They mean in terms of appeal and success, two things Metroid has never had in abundance. If we're being real, Nintendo's Big 3 would really be Mario, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing, with Smash following at 4th

They certainly tried with the Prime series and Other M, even if the latter wasn't particularly great. None of them sold particularly great, even Prime 1 and Super only sold decently, which isn't enough anymore with how much more games cost to make these days

Are you including the Kart games in with Mario? Those are definitely bigger than Animal Crossing.

Edit: probably are after reading a few posts up.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What rumor would that be?

There was a great Analysis of the pikmin speculation here done by a GAF user summarising various hints and insiders behaviours that would lead to think hey pikmin is actually the game miyamoto was referring to

MoonFrog

Metroid/Zelda/Mario are the trinity of single player Nintendo action adventure titles. It is about genre span, core interest, initial development, etc.

That's the Nintendo big three they are. There are others.

KingBroly

Banned
Ahh, yes, the 4 million sales of the 3 Prime games, compared to the 10mil+ of New Leaf.

The Prime games after 1 struggled to hit 2 million. Even on the Wii.

It was struggling on GBA and Wii.

Different era = Different sales benchmarks due to lower costs. Come on. This is simple.

If 1-1.5 million were so adverse to any game being made, then Pikmin wouldn't have its' own dedicated development team at NCL cuz the games don't sell that well

If 1-1.5 million were so adverse to any game being made, then Pikmin wouldn't have its' own dedicated development team at NCL cuz the games don't sell that well

Well, Pikmin has one thing behind it that Metroid doesn't:

260px-200px-Shigeru_Miyamoto_cropped.jpg

jariw

Metroid sold fine until Nintendo threw it off a cliff.

Not in comparison to Animal Crossing, since that's the comparison here. And compared to successful (sales-wise) IPs: All Metroid Primes on Wii put together sold about the same as Splatoon on the Wii U.

Metroid is in the same as group Starfox, F-Zero and Pikmin: each game don't sell that much but they have a very devoted core fanbase.

As with many of their other franchises and third party deals (like Bayonetta 2) Metroid games serve an important purpose in ensuring a diverse lineup. Rather than them being big sellers on the level of Nintendo's best selling franchises.

That said, I think a Metroid game done well at the right time can wind up being an incredibly high selling entry. It would have to capitalize on online multiplayer, maybe catering to fans of games like Overwatch, while also having an excellent single player mode which speaks to a large audience, like DOOM 2016 sorta did.

The problem is I just don't see Nintendo being able to make a game that resonates with that audience in house and I have a feeling the core Metroid fanbase wouldn't be too happy with a game like that, as it would likely focus on FPS mechanics over exploration. Maybe another franchise (cough Geist cough) could serve as a decent multiplayer FPS.

MTC100

Banned
All Metroid Primes on Wii put together sold about the same as Splatoon on the Wii U.

Which says everything I guess, maybe it says more about the Wii Userbase than anything else though, seeing as Metroid Prime on the GameCube managed to sell roughly 3M units, on a platform with 1/5th of Wii install base mind you.

I also believe that a new Metroid would be nothing else than fan service by Nintendo, we will see if it happens and if, we'll see how well it can do on the Switch. It's just that the IP Metroid isn't performing very well ever since, despite having a very passionate fanbase and a relatively good track record.

I think if Nintendo wanted to create a new kind of Metroid they'd need to take a step back to the Adventure that Metroid Prime 1 on the GameCube was, all the mystery and danger, all the fascination and interesting gameplay. Nintendo needs to reinvent Metroid once more, they've done it with Zelda before too...

Terrell

It's sad but I think we're going to have to come to terms with the fact Nintendo is completely irrelevant for third parties, including Japanese ones. MH5 skipping Switch will be the final nail in the coffin.

Even the niche-game Japanese developers openly disagree with you. That says something.

I would love it if Pikmin was announced. Animal Crossing or stuff like Harvest Moon was never my thing.

However I wouldn't lose sleep if it wasn't announced.

Nintendo needs to modernize Metroid like they did with Zelda.

Hah, the interesting thing about BotW is that they "modernized" it by basically reusing the formula from the original NES game. So they basically made it new by bringing it back to its roots.

The thing about Metroid though, is that Metroid Prime is basically that same thing. It sticks very closely to the original Metroid's style but in a 3D environment.

If you want Nintendo to make Metroid's BotW then just play Metroid Prime.

Now, if you meant you want an open-world Metroid with an incredible amount of world-based interactivity and a huge focus on exploration, then yeah I'd take that in a heartbeat. But that's not really the "style" of Metroid games.

MoonFrog

Hah, the interesting thing about BotW is that they "modernized" it by basically reusing the formula from the original NES game. So they basically made it new by bringing it back to its roots.

The thing about Metroid though, is that Metroid Prime is basically that same thing. It sticks very closely to the original Metroid's style but in a 3D environment.

Now, if you meant you want an open-world Metroid with an incredible amount of world-based interactivity and a huge focus on exploration, then yeah I'd take that in a heartbeat. But that's not really the "style" of Metroid games.
Lol erased my "need" to comment on this...probably does me some good.

Probably you all too. The less I get starry-eyed and on about the soul of Metroid, the better for all involved.

Still, I will say I wouldn't be too forgiving of the modern turn in the last paragraph.

I was anxious about it with BotW and was perfectly aware it spoke to part of Zelda. It speaks to nothing of Metroid.

BotW did win me over but, as I've said, I do think a sequel to it should course correct towards aLttP.

Well they need to reinvent the style of Metroid games since they clearly aren't selling well. Zelda sales were falling off a cliff too (with Skyward Sword), and they've made strides to fix that with Breath of the Wild.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nintendo needs to modernize Metroid like they did with Zelda.

Nintendo to announce a modernized take on the beloved franchise with newly political undertones.

In the new game, Samus is tasked with capturing an orange-skinned Chozo, recently elected to the newly-populated planet of Tallon IV. Since the Chozo's inauguration, the planet has turned to complete and literal shit. Will Samus be able to overthrow the (strangely racist) government? Pre-order Metroid Covfefe today and find out when it releases in early 2018.

Duxxy3

I've been taking a vacation for the past, maybe seven years, during E3. Can't wait.

Usually I take off Monday and Tuesday, but Monday looks pretty uninteresting. I just ordered a switch, so my interest in Nintendo is higher than normal.

Cush

With regards to third parties, Nintendo had deals done for FIFA, NBA 2K, and Skyrim over six months ago. Makes me curious to see if they were able to line up some additional big hitters since then.

Also, since so many people have already mentioned so many of the same names, does anyone think that they might mention some Snipperclips DLC, or even a physical launch? I know it's thought of as a niche game, but Nintendo mentioned 350,000 downloads (purchases?) in March, and it's been towards the top of the charts in most countries since launch. It feels like, if they nurture Snipperclips, it could be a (multi?) million seller for them.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Usually I take off Monday and Tuesday, but Monday looks pretty uninteresting. I just ordered a switch, so my interest in Nintendo is higher than normal.

It is less interesting now that other conferences have been moved to the weekend, for sure. I think I'm going to miss the hectic E3 Mondays.

BD1

Banned
Wow I totally forgot about a Luigi's Mansion game. The 3DS game was fantastic.

Luigi's Mansion would be perfect on Switch with split joy cons. Invert the right joy con for gyro pointing of the vacuum. Left joy con controls movement. Two sticks and eight buttons opens up tons of feature and interface possibilities.

Give it too us, Nintendo!

Well they need to reinvent the style of Metroid games since they clearly aren't selling well. Zelda sales were falling off a cliff too (with Skyward Sword), and they've made strides to fix that with Breath of the Wild.

But Metroid sales have never been all that high to begin with. I mean, I think Metroid Prime is still the highest selling entry at just under 3 million units. It's not at all the same situation.

But again, BotW made sense because it spoke to the core "soul" of Zelda. i.e. it went directly back to the roots of the series and was a modern take on those. Metroid Prime already did that for Metroid.

Reinvent something doesnt mean make it open world and exploration. They just need to reinvent the game which starts with the design of Metroid. Same as BoTW. We dont know the answers to that until it happens.

Edit: anyways just took off for monday and tuesday next week

the thing i would want the most out of a 3d metroid was to take the movement from samus of the 2d ones and have the design for sequence breaking of super.

Xbro

the thing i would want the most out of a 3d metroid was to take the movement from samus of the 2d ones and have the design for sequence breaking of super.

I think Prime's sequence breaking was funner because you felt more accomplished by doing it.

MoonFrog

Yeah I don't know about alternate 3D Metroids.

The Prime series really upped the traversal mechanics at play in morph ball mode, but the traversal mechanics in upright play are a step back from the 2D games.

I'm glad they implemented general platforming, the grapple beam, and the morph ball as well as they did, but something 3D Metroid could always seek to do better (or do at all) are things like the dash, space jumping, wall jumping, etc.

I think the dash and the dash jump would be fairly hard to implement well in 3D. Space jumping and wall jumping was fairly awkward and limited in its inclusion in Prime 2, as well.

IDK.

I don't think, say, going third person as is sometimes suggested solves these issues over night.

I also do like the immersion of being behind the visor. Seeing the world through that makes it feel more alien and foreign and hostile and a place Samus isn't "supposed to be."

But yeah, a new Metroid is going to have to try and play with traversal and gadgets/power-ups. That is very core to Metroid.

Josh5890

Nintendo said that there would be more details about E3 announced closer to the event. Anyone think we will get some of those goodies tomorrow?

Top Bottom