• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

Either that or they actually have nothing substantial on the table.

3 years in and not even a tease for what their next game is.

Couldn't even show us a jpeg like MP4

Just because nothing has been teased or leak doesn't mean there's nothing substantial. I don't get your thinking at all. They're one of the most tight lipped dev teams in the industry.

It's only 3 years and they reveal a game when Nintendo is ready for them to reveal it.

TheMoon

Just because nothing has been teased or leak doesn't mean there's nothing substantial. I don't get your thinking at all. They're one of the most tight lipped dev teams in the industry.

It's only 3 years and they reveal a game when Nintendo is ready for them to reveal it.

Especially because they like their "oh hey, this is our new game and it's on in 5 months" approach. You had heard nothing between 2010 and 2013 about what they were doing (anybody bringing up MK7 gets a red shell in the face). After 2007's MP3, you got completely blind-sighted by 2010's DKCR announcement at E3 and immediate Holiday release (again, red shell if you bring up MPT).

This is how it works. You'll hear about Retro next E3 probably and play the game a few months later.

Ninja Dom

There was a guy called Keizo Ota who was a wizard at programming at Nintendo.

He programmed the first good water effects in Waverace 64, he programmed the 60fps F-Zero X, and programmed and directed Wii Sports & Wii Sports Resort.

I wonder what he's up to now, such a talented programmer.

Especially because they like their "oh hey, this is our new game and it's on in 5 months" approach. You had heard nothing between 2010 and 2013 about what they were doing (anybody bringing up MK7 gets a red shell in the face). After 2007's MP3, you got completely blind-sighted by 2010's DKCR announcement at E3 and immediate Holiday release (again, red shell if you bring up MPT).

This is how it works. You'll hear about Retro next E3 probably and play the game a few months later.

I'll take two red shells to the face please. Unlike after the release of Corruption and returns, this time around we have literally heard NOTHING. No news on staff departures. No news on any side projects. All we know is that they began their followup project nearly four years ago sometime in November 2013 after wrapping up Tropical Freeze. The only other hint we have came from this thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1369753&highlight=retro+studios

I'm holding out hope for this being a big surprise Nintendo announcement at The Game Awards, or in the seemingly now annual January direct as Nintendo outlines a good deal of their plans for the year.

TheMoon

I'll take two red shells to the face please. Unlike after the release of Corruption and returns, this time around we have literally heard NOTHING. No news on staff departures. No news on any side projects. All we know is that they began their followup project nearly four years ago sometime in November 2013 after wrapping up Tropical Freeze. The only other hint we have came from this thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1369753&highlight=retro+studios

I'm holding out hope for this being a big surprise Nintendo announcement at The Game Awards, or in the seemingly now annual January direct as Nintendo outlines a good deal of their plans for the year.

The hiring wasn't even a hint, it just produced a whole lot of misinformed hype because everybody just looked at his early career and immediately jumped to conclusions while ignoring what he primarily does these days. So we still know nothing other than a few people left, a few people joined.

The hiring wasn't even a hint, it just produced a whole lot of misinformed hype because everybody just looked at his early career and immediately jumped to conclusions while ignoring what he primarily does these days. So we still know nothing other than a few people left, a few people joined.

I meant more a hint as to where in the development process they are, not necessarily what they're working on. The post implied that things were going well, and seemingly pretty deep into development. A lot of folks are concerned that maybe their project was scrapped for a new one since they're taking so long, or that there are some other troubles there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get an F-Zero game for the Switch. Atleast, Nintendo showed they care about the franchise when they tried to get a western dev to make one for the Wii U.

Shinen is working on their new game, but I doubt it's F-Zero.

We had the rumor from a couple of people that Tanabe stopped working with Retro Studios in 2015 because Tanabe wanted less talkback and Retro hated his control freakiness.

But that's been basically it.

We had the rumor from a couple of people that Tanabe stopped working with Retro Studios in 2015 because Tanabe wanted less talkback and Retro hated his control freakiness.

But that's been basically it.

Ahhh yes, that is true too! Someone on GAF (I forgot who) who supposedly knows something said it's bullocks though. I have a hard time believing that though.

Ninja Dom

I wouldn't be surprised if we get an F-Zero game for the Switch. Atleast, Nintendo showed they care about the franchise when they tried to get a western dev to make one for the Wii U.

Shinen is working on their new game, but I doubt it's F-Zero.

So the NintendoLand mini game and the homage paid in Mario Kart 8/8DX won’t be the end of it?

Nintendo should let indie developers make new entries in the franchises they personally don't want to develop anymore.

I'm sure there are indie developers out there that adore F-Zero GX and StarFox 64 and would want to make another one for $20.

Nintendo should let indie developers make new entries in the franchises they personally don't want to develop anymore.

I'm sure there are indie developers out there that adore F-Zero GX and StarFox 64 and would want to make another one for $20.
I'd love to see yacht club making a new Wario game.Oh yeah,and since Inti Creates is a partner with Nintendo,why not letting them making a mid-budget metroidvania rpg

The problem is nintendo is so critical of their first party output. They won’t release anything unless they consider it to be a great game.

The problem is nintendo is so critical of their first party output. They won’t release anything unless they consider it to be a great game.

Bit unfortunate that they would consider the likes of Metroid Other M, Metroid Prime Federation Force and Star Fox Zero to be "great games", lol.

On a more serious note, it still hurts to know that we almost got a new F-Zero by Criterion before things fell through.

I'll agree with whoever posted about a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon title releasing next year. They've released one every 3 years for a while now and it looks like Super Mystery Dungeon outsold Gates to Infinity. It would also fill the gap similarly to SMD in 2015 when no main series title was released. Gen VII also hasn't received a Mystery Dungeon game and with Gen 8 likely releasing in 2019, it would be the time.

The main thing I'm wondering is if it will be on the 3DS or the Switch. We know about TPC's apprehensions with the Switch before its release and the title would've started development around late 2015/early 2016.

TheMoon

I still can't believe we don't know whats going on at Retro.

We do.

2016-Wildwood-BBQ-Bash.jpg

Trevelyan

Banned
Speaking of Retro, do we expect Nintendo to have a big Direct in December to blowout some 2018 games and reveal new ones, such as Retro’s project ? I would think so, since I doubt they’ll stay quiet on new releases through next E3.

Must be Nintendo's personal Barbecuers now.

I've been joking that they became a catering company for NCL's cafeteria(s).

Speaking of Retro, do we expect Nintendo to have a big Direct in December to blowout some 2018 games and reveal new ones, such as Retro’s project ? I would think so, since I doubt they’ll stay quiet on new releases through next E3.

I'd expect something else this year, if only to go over the paid online service and NES games that are launching next year. We might see a Direct with this info and a few small new announcements I guess, but I wouldn't expect big 2018 announcements until the January Direct.

DMONKUMA

Probably in January. I think they'll hold off on revealing retro's game until E3.

They probably should considering that the only thing they have lined up for the first half of 2018 is Kirby.

That would, uhh, hurt momentum if they only had Kirby for six months with no games on the horizon either.

I don't expect Retros game to be announced in a Nintendo Direct. For a Nintendo Direct I expect Fire Emblem Switch to be shown in December or January.

I think Retro's game is either revealed at the Game Awards in December or at E3. Once the Game Awards come Nintendo has no big game to promote from first party (Mario is out and Xenoblade). Yes, there's Kirby and Yoshi, but those are small change.

If Retro is making a western focused IP, which I believe, then I think they should reveal it at the Game Awards. If not, then I don't expect it until E3 2018.

Of course Nintendo could announce an Animal Crossing or so and if they do then I really don't expect to see their game until E3.

TheMoon

You must be new. These happen in January, not December. Also, not guaranteed but likely.

KaneU

I am a bit concerned about the Switch's first party lineup for Q1 of 2018. Don't they only have Kirby announced and that is coming out in spring, so probably April or May...

I think that if they had some big games coming out in Q1 they would have announced them by now...

I am a bit concerned about the Switch's first party lineup for Q1 of 2018. Don't they only have Kirby announced and that is coming out in spring, so probably April or May...

I think that if they had some big games coming out in Q1 they would have announced them by now...

There's no need to worry. This is how Nintendo operates. They're focused on this holiday season. By the end of the year/January they'll reveal a lot of their early 2018 lineup.

Aside from E3 and the pre-launch conference, they've basically been announcing games that usually come only a few months ahead of time. If there were games to fill in the last 3 months of the fiscal year, they'd probably announce them before December.

When Nintendo is riding high, they don't tend to announce projects early, with few exceptions.

Aside from E3 and the pre-launch conference, they've basically been announcing games that usually come only a few months ahead of time. If there were games to fill in the last 3 months of the fiscal year, they'd probably announce them before December.
I think they should keep the "one first party game per month" lifestyle,it really fits the console I think
When Nintendo is riding high, they don't tend to announce projects early, with few exceptions.
We will the winter direct and the new year direct,there could be some surprises
No. Who or what is a Maxsoft.

nintendo owns retro, ndcube, monolithsoft, 1-up studio. that's it. this info is also in the OP, btw.
Ah,I thought you guys know it,nvm

TheMoon

That's how they operate regardless. Even during the darkest of days. We've had "but they have nothing on the docket for the 1st/2nd half of 201X!!!" every damn year. Every year.

Switch your first Nintendo console?

Jubenhimer

One thing I'm hoping to see at the Nintendo World Championships this year is the unveiling of a new multiplayer IP. Not only would that catch the audience off guard, but a tournament like setting would also serve as a perfect demonstration for a brand new concept. And since Nintendo is known for out-of-the-box gameplay ideas, it's especially useful.

The megaton blowout thing is usually a January thing. You weren't asking about a random ass Direct :)

That 2013 WiiU direct is the only megaton blowout Jan direct, or the only one outside E3. There's no reason for a direct to contain megatons based on which month it is. Even new 3DS is announced in a random JP only Aug direct.

What are you guys hoping Next Level Games is working on and do you think it'll be revealed next year?

I'm hoping for Luigi's Mansion 3. I want it to be more in line with the first game (no missions). I say it gets revealed next year E3 and releases in 2019.

Zalman

What are you guys hoping Next Level Games is working on and do you think it'll be revealed next year?

I'm hoping for Luigi's Mansion 3. I want it to be more in line with the first game (no missions). I say it gets revealed next year E3 and releases in 2019.
I think that's the best guess considering how much LM2 sold.

A new Strikers sequel.

Top Bottom