• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

Chindogg

I can start eShop, find a demo click download, exit eShop back to main Wii U interface before my PS3's shop have even finished loading/booted.

Pretty much this. Accusations of it being slow compared to the other shops is hilarious.

Look, Wii U is pretty fucked right now. No one's denying that. However saying that they should go third party or make a PS4 and they'll somehow magically win again is absolutely absurd. Metroid/FZero/etc do not sell consoles. They're awesome but overall niche titles. Right now Wii U's problem is that they didn't capture the CoD /AC/GTA/Madden/FIFA crowd enough to push them to their online infrastructure. Kids will go to whatever console their friends are playing CoD on, its that simple.

Let's focus on having actual solutions that would be within the realm of reality and not the fantasies of the hardcore.

wsippel

Banned
It sure would be nice if they have taken the Sony route with their ecosystem

Could you imagine if all of these games were available Digitally, on some steam like legacy sale?

You could just download games fast and easy and enjoy them upscaled on a Native emulator?
What?

Sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to say. Sony route? Which games? Steam like platform? Upscaled? Native emulator?

E-phonk

Banned
Instead of doing the "nintendo should go 3rd party" discussion again for the 1000st time, more interesting might be if nintendo (or any platform holder) would be able to survive/break even if it scaled it's business to a smaller install base.

Can they make the Wii U work financially on a 10-15million fanbase and what do they need to do.

Things they might be able to do:
- NFC
- DLC
- Subscription model VC
- More games in the vain of NES Remix
- Development for mobile/console at the same time (like smash)
- Sharing IP with 3rd parties

It probably depends on what he says later today and what he has lined up to try and convince everyone to let him see out what he mentioned a few months back.
We already know why he has to say: please understand.

On a more serious note, that 6 million shipped Wii U figure is probably just that: shipped. I think there's no way Wii U is hitting GC numbers at this rate. Glad to see Nintendo being more realistic with estimates, but I think it'll struggle to hit those. I don't think the size of the market that's been holding out for MK and SSBB is that big.

Ty4on

I don't understand the WiiU forecast. Is Nintendo forecasting only 70,000 units sold per week worldwide?

It's doing only 70k monthly in its biggest market (NA) and like 5k weekly in its second biggest market (JP). 3.6M would also be a 33% rise in shipments over last year.

thekin

Banned
People might get angry at me for saying this but this is a good thing that's happening to them, maybe now they will fucking try to listen to the fans and make a good competent system with good hardware and an account system.

I'm not hating on Nintendo i really loved the wii and had a lot of fun with it, Nintendo had a clear cut vision for that system and the wiimote was an amazing device. but the gamepad is not, not even nintendo knows what to do with it, the wii u was a disaster waiting to happen, nintendo has no one but themselves to blame, they did not have a vision for the system, they should have seen this coming when they released the 3ds the attach rate was horrible and the only people buying it were gamers not casual, that should have been the red light warning. the worst part is that of the wii u gamepad is nothing like the wiimote, if they made the system just as strong as the xbox one then we would be having a different story because that would have been the perfect system.

All in all i respect nintendo on like sony or microsoft, they come out and tell us that the system is not doing well and they release the numbers (sony combining the vita numbers with the psp and microsoft only announcing the shipped numbers not sold), what they need to do now is to ride this out till 2016 or 2017 keep making games but start making new ips not just the usual suspects, make smaller teams and make good game that can be released at a faster rate.

nynt9

I can start eShop, find a demo click download, exit eShop back to main Wii U interface before my PS3's shop have even finished loading/booted.

The ps3 is a previous gen system though. Try the same with a PS4 or Vita. If you're getting something on the front page, maybe it's not terrible. But if you want to browse, it's pretty unwieldy. Also the download speeds are really slow for some reason.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Pikmin 3, for starters. Also, they'd be less likely to try new IP or revive old IP.

In all honesty, they'd likely become the Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart company.

I don't get this mentality. Good games sell, and Nintendo makes good games. What they lack is a userbase to buy those games. By going third party and selling games on the PS4. the X1, and hopefully Steam too, they would have access to orders of magnitude more gamers and a much, much larger userbase, and therefore sell more copies of games. If Nintendo didn't have to spend money on console R&D and development they could focus even more assets into making more good games.

I know dozens of people who would love to play new games from Nintendo, myself included, but who simply do not want to buy a Wii U. Talking for myself, I think the Wii U is a convoluted mess of design, I hate the interface and I hate the gamepad controller. But I'd buy the newest Zelda or MK games instantly on Steam if I could. I would have loved to play W101. I just won't pay $350 for a console to do so, not when there is minimal third party support and a huge span of time between game releases.

Just because Sega messed it up doesn't mean Nintendo would.

scitek

Why would they link their faith to Sony? They are in a bad spot too.

Nintendo should get rid of the hardware shackles and focus on what they do best in the industry (imo), making videogames. On EVERYTHING.

They make the vast majority of the money they use to make games with hardware, though...

As a software only company Nintendo could just release one Mario game every year and make money, sure. But they would want to make more money and expand their sales.

Do you seriously think that with the state the industry is currently in, "expanding sales" for a purely software company means supporting/creating untested or relatively less known IPs when they could be churning out their reliable and well-known IPs time and again? In this day and age, as a software company, if you want to make more money, you play it safe and turn to your proven IPs. That is why we have annual versions of CoDs. That is why Ubisoft is rotating ACs like there's no tomorrow. That is WHY we have a glut of the same old annual rehashes BECAUSE these companies have no OTHER means of revenue except their software.

Nintendo can afford to make their quirky titles because as a toy company, they create software that complement their hardware. That is how they made Mario 64 utilize analog sticks. That is why you have those quirky Wario games that make use of touch screens, microphones, etc. That is why we have the concept of StreetPasses. People call them gimmicks but they're also experiments into different game experiences. Nintendo will not be able to have that luxury if you take away their hardware.

Asd202

Oh, so spin-offs of old succesful IPs.
But yes, there are a lot of new IPs in the shooter genre. Not really Nintendo cup of cake.

???. Also if it's not Nintendo cup of cake maybe they should consider making some. FPS are huge in the west.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
In retrospect, the original Wii may have been the worst thing to ever happen to Nintendo. Their focus on chasing the next big gimmick and having an underpowered console has bit them in the ass.

The Wii was the best thing to happen to them. The Wii U was the worst thing.

I get what he's saying....and I might agree to a certain extent. But I agree only because Nintendo seems to didnt know how to capitalize off of it for the next console.

The PS4 is selling like hotcakes mostly because of the previous versions and future expectations....Xbox One too. What does Wii U sales say about the Wii as a whole...? Especially when PS3 and 360 consoles are still selling to this day...ppl that know the Wii U is backwards compatible.....that should bring more Wii U sales in theory. Or should have. Especially if Wii games are still selling....

IMO.....the best thing to happen to Nintendo was the video game crash of the 80's. After the SNES, Nintendo has been very hit n miss...mostly miss. Not since the NES, SNES have they had a hit console back to back. Handhelds.....they are dominating that.

I wonder if some folks at Nintendo are thinking about that too.

What?

Sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to say. Sony route? Which games? Steam like platform? Upscaled? Native emulator?

Just not a fan of how Wii Support was implemented

Would have rather had it run in a Native Emulator on the WiiU where you dont need to load the Entire Wii menu/Ui and ecosystem to play games

Sony just has PS1/PS2 games run in a emulator and the games sit on the same list and run seamlessly like any other software with a few enhancements.

Not to mention that the legacy library is huge and digitally available in its entirety.

Many people still complain about the fragmented nature of Virtual console and how there isnt even parity between the Wii-WiiU

Yes, it doesn't make sense to think that Nintendo suddenly will only make a handful of titles because 'only those make money'. In theory it would even expand their library because they would need to have a broader appeal.

Yeah. If ever there was a time where Nintendo would feel compelled to double-down on their cash-cow franchises at the expense of everything else, surely it would be right now. I don't buy the argument that Nintendo are currently putting out games they know aren't going to make them any money just to get people buying Wii U consoles (which they're not making any money on either). Especially when the Wii U is completely dead to third parties.

Metallix87

I don't get this mentality. Good games sell, and Nintendo makes good games. What they lack is a userbase to buy those games. By going third party and selling games on the PS4. the X1, and hopefully Steam too, they would have access to orders of magnitude more gamers and a much, much larger userbase, and therefore sell more copies of games.
You must realize this is pure nonsense, right? Even with thehuge Wii user base, Nintendo still made a few highly rated games that sold poorly. Wonderful 101 would not have been a hit on any platform.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Still I would not call them spin-offs.

I haven't use it in a negative way. New IPs based on games in similar genre with a similar style done by the developers of the old successful IPs for a new publisher. Nothing wrong with it.

You just described Nintendo perfectly.

This is not a discussion about Nintendo vs. world. Not for me anyhow. My argument is that a 3rd party Nintendo will do just that, nothing else.

Sequence_01_2.gif

I think it fits perfectly.

Coolwhip

Banned
Do you seriously think that with the state the industry is currently in, "expanding sales" for a purely software company means supporting/creating untested or relatively less known IPs when they could be churning out their reliable and well-known IPs time and again? In this day and age, as a software company, if you want to make more money, you play it safe and turn to your proven IPs. That is why we have annual versions of CoDs. That is why Ubisoft is rotating ACs like there's no tomorrow. That is WHY we have a glut of the same old annual rehashes BECAUSE these companies have no OTHER means of revenue except their software.

Nintendo can afford to make their quirky titles because as a toy company, they create software that complement their hardware. That is how they made Mario 64 utilize analog sticks. That is why you have those quirky Wario games that make use of touch screens, microphones, etc. That is why we have the concept of StreetPasses. People call them gimmicks but they're also experiments into different game experiences. Nintendo will not be able to have that luxury if you take away their hardware.

So be it. It's better than selling 10 million hardware boxes at most to sell your games on.

I get what he's saying....and I might agree to a certain extent. But I agree only because Nintendo seems to didnt know how to capitalize off of it for the next console.

The PS4 is selling like hotcakes mostly because of the previous versions and future expectations....Xbox One too. What does Wii U sales say about the Wii as a whole...? Especially when PS3 and 360 consoles are still selling to this day...ppl that know the Wii U is backwards compatible.....that should bring more Wii U sales in theory. Or should have. Especially if Wii games are still selling....

IMO.....the best thing to happen to Nintendo was the video game crash of the 80's. After the SNES, Nintendo has been very hit n miss...mostly miss. Not since the NES, SNES have they had a hit console back to back. Handhelds.....they are dominating that.

I wonder if some folks at Nintendo are thinking about that too.

Backwards compatibilty on WiiU requires using old hardware. You cant even use the Gamepad/Pro Controller

Its messy

Exile20

While I do like Miiverse the WiiU eshop is terrible and awfully slow and not user friendly at all, I can't discover anything unless it's explicitly highlighted on the front page and browsing takes forever.

Every part of the bold is just plain wrong.

wsippel

Banned
The ps3 is a previous gen system though. Try the same with a PS4 or Vita. If you're getting something on the front page, maybe it's not terrible. But if you want to browse, it's pretty unwieldy. Also the download speeds are really slow for some reason.
The download speeds are completely random, depending on which mirror the system choses. If it's slow, you can try to pause and resume the download. Helps in some cases. I guess the system switches to a different mirror if you do that. But it's not like you have to stare at a progress bar so it's not that bad.

Metallix87

Yeah. If ever there was a time where Nintendo would feel compelled to double-down on their cash-cow franchises at the expense of everything else, surely it would be right now. I don't buy the argument that Nintendo are currently putting out games they know aren't going to make them any money just to get people buying Wii U consoles (which they're not making any money on either). Especially when the Wii U is completely dead to third parties.
And they have been. Still, it would be worse if they went third party.

The download speeds are completely random, depending on which mirror the system choses. If it's slow, you can try to pause and resume the download. Helps in some cases. I guess the system switches to a different mirror if you do that. But it's not like you have to stare at a progress bar so it's not that bad.

I think all the console ecosystems suffer a bit here

I have had a really smooth experience with PS4/Vita so far though. Sounds like the eShop is improving as well?

They need to double down on the developing the eShop further and make it a ubiquitous platform like PSN/XBL/GooglePlay etc....

E-phonk

Banned
Just not a fan of how Wii Support was implemented

Would have rather had it run in a Native Emulator on the WiiU where you dont need to load the Entire Wii menu/Ui and ecosystem to play games

Sony just has PS1/PS2 games run in a emulator and the games sit on the same list and run seamlessly like any other software with a few enhancements.

Not to mention that the legacy library is huge and digitally available in its entirety.

Many people still complain about the fragmented nature of Virtual console and how there isnt even parity between the Wii-WiiU
Please talk to me about this amazing version of PS3 you're having.

Mine doesn't have the "complete legacy library" available, nor does it play ps1/PS2 games in emulator mode (unless if you have the launch model, but those haven't been sold in years), certainly not with enhancements.

Sony WAS good in doing the whole HD rereleases, and I think many would agree there's a market for nintendo HD rereleases like Wind Waker.

Also, at least WiiU has backwards compatability (although to be honest I think they shouldn't have bothered - it doesn't seem to hurt the PS4 not having it). I hope nintendo breaks with their compatability for both their next mobile and hardware platform and goes AMD with both.

Mithos

To be fair, the PS3 is 8 years old...

Sony's incompetence more like it, the new shop is broken compared to the first one that actually was usable and fast just like the eShop, the update Sony made literally FORCED you to a computer to even be able to do ANY shopping related.

Yes I agree for some reason PS3 download speeds are terrible, actually slower then on Wii U, and then I'm even running ethernet on PS3 and WiFi on Wii U.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Wow, this is bleak.. Although I will buy a Wii U when the Zelda is released for it. That's what I've been waiting for from the launch.

Chindogg

I don't get this mentality. Good games sell, and Nintendo makes good games. What they lack is a userbase to buy those games. By going third party and selling games on the PS4. the X1, and hopefully Steam too, they would have access to orders of magnitude more gamers and a much, much larger userbase, and therefore sell more copies of games. If Nintendo didn't have to spend money on console R&D and development they could focus even more assets into making more good games.

I know dozens of people who would love to play new games from Nintendo, myself included, but who simply do not want to buy a Wii U. Talking for myself, I think the Wii U is a convoluted mess of design, I hate the interface and I hate the gamepad controller. But I'd buy the newest Zelda or MK games instantly on Steam if I could. I would have loved to play W101. I just won't pay $350 for a console to do so, not when there is minimal third party support and a huge span of time between game releases.

Just because Sega messed it up doesn't mean Nintendo would.

Let's try this again for the 20th time in every single thread that's ever mentioned this theory.

Nintendo is a hardware company that has software teams to supplement that hardware. That's the main bulk of their business.

To gut that part of their business would be to shed a good 80% of their company. No stock is going to sustain a massive shrink in a company like that.

You honestly think a company that takes a devastating hit by losing the majority of their company will want to take risks on niche games? There's a reason why you think you're being oversaturated with Mario. There hasn't been a new Pikmin game in a decade. Metroid bombed (yes it wasn't a good game but shit entries into established franchises have sold before, see AC3) and we haven't seen anything from them in years. Wonderful 101 was DOA.

No sensible company is going to release niche games. What niche games are Activision releasing? EA has Mirror's Edge 2 coming, but do you honestly think they're going to keep that franchise going after it bombs?

Think pragmatically about this, a 3rd party Nintendo is not what you really want if you actually like Nintendo games.

tranciful

"Cash and equivalents down from $4.7bn to $3.4bn, a drop of $1.3bn over the year."

So I guess this is where my ignorance in corporate finance comes in. How do they come out of the year with $1.3 billion less in the bank when their loss was closer to $0.2-0.4 billion?

Top Bottom