• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

Yeah man, it's just fud! Those fud numbers aren't real! Nintendo is doing fine!

Someone impersonated the Nintendo guys and released fud numbers. It's all just a big fud conspiracy.

Fud!
For the sake of this post hopefully Nintendo goes third party or the drain or something. Cause if I look back 5 years from now and their doing fine I will laugh. Really hard.

Stet

Banned
Cup of cake?
xZf2OZu.jpg

12.26 Million Pokemon X/Y (does anyone know how this is tracking compared to other games?)
9.62 Million MK7 (same here)
9.27 SM3DLand
7.82 million NSMB2 (comparison to NSMB?)
7.66 ACNL
3.98 million for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (still feels like it came out of nowhere)
3.5 million for Nintendogs+Cats
3.35 OoT 3D
2.51 million for ALBW
2.21 Million Paper Mario Sticker Star
2.08 Mario and Luigi dream Team
1.85 million Tomodachi life

Heart Gold/Soul Silver: 12.72
Black/White: 15.58
Diamond/Pearl: 17:63

Mario Kart DS: 23.56

NSMB: 30.75

Losing mass appeal with franchises. Much more damning than any console sales data. Nintendo has never had it this tough and I doubt it will survive as a console maker after this generation.

wsippel

Banned
Just not a fan of how Wii Support was implemented

Would have rather had it run in a Native Emulator on the WiiU where you dont need to load the Entire Wii menu/Ui and ecosystem to play games

Sony just has PS1/PS2 games run in a emulator and the games sit on the same list and run seamlessly like any other software with a few enhancements.

Not to mention that the legacy library is huge and digitally available in its entirety.

Many people still complain about the fragmented nature of Virtual console and how there isnt even parity between the Wii-WiiU
The Wii U doesn't emulate a Wii and couldn't emulate a Wii. And I'm pretty sure you can't download every single PS1 and PS2 on PS3. I believe you can't download any PS1 and PS2 games, or PS3 games for that matter, on PS4.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"Cash and equivalents down from $4.7bn to $3.4bn, a drop of $1.3bn over the year."

So I guess this is where my ignorance in corporate finance comes in. How do they come out of the year with $1.3 billion less in the bank when their loss was closer to $0.2-0.4 billion?

Stock buybacks.

Exile20

Just not a fan of how Wii Support was implemented

Would have rather had it run in a Native Emulator on the WiiU where you dont need to load the Entire Wii menu/Ui and ecosystem to play games

Sony just has PS1/PS2 games run in a emulator and the games sit on the same list and run seamlessly like any other software with a few enhancements.

Not to mention that the legacy library is huge and digitally available in its entirety.

Many people still complain about the fragmented nature of Virtual console and how there isnt even parity between the Wii-WiiU

The problem with that is that the Wii was so badly compromised that they couldn't take the chance to create an emulator.

Piracy on the Wii was out of control. The hackers had more control over the Wii than Nintendo themselves.

Instead of doing the "nintendo should go 3rd party" discussion again for the 1000st time, more interesting might be if nintendo (or any platform holder) would be able to survive/break even if it scaled it's business to a smaller install base.

Can they make the Wii U work financially on a 10-15million fanbase and what do they need to do.

Things they might be able to do:
- NFC
- DLC
- Subscription model VC
- More games in the vain of NES Remix
- Development for mobile/console at the same time (like smash)
- Sharing IP with 3rd parties

Personally, I think this is gonna be were Nintendo will focus more from now on. With HD development taking longer, and Nintendo not having that many development teams to begin with, I can see them starting collaborations with 3rd parties in order to release more games of 1st party franchises. Not only crossovers, but also stuff in main series.

Of course this is not new to Nintendo (see games such as Star Fox Assault, FZero GX, and the GB Zelda's), I just think it will become more common from now on, and I'm curious to see the results!

Please talk to me about this amazing version of PS3 you're having.

Mine doesn't have the "complete legacy library" available, nor does it play ps1/PS2 games in emulator mode (unless if you have the launch model, but those haven't been sold in years), certainly not with enhancements.

Sony WAS good in doing the whole HD rereleases, and I think many would agree there's a market for nintendo HD rereleases like Wind Waker.

Also, at least WiiU has backwards compatability (although to be honest I think they shouldn't have bothered - it doesn't seem to hurt the PS4 not having it). I hope nintendo breaks with their compatability for both their next mobile and hardware platform and go AMD with both.

I guess im am thinking more about the Legacy support on Vita. The convenience and wealth of the PSP/PS1 library is probably the best Ive seen.

Kysen

I can start eShop, find a demo click download, exit eShop back to main Wii U interface before my PS3's shop have even finished loading/booted.

Its ten times worse if you try pressing the PS button ingame on PS3, its like the whole console is locking up. Hard to believe that the OS was so poorly implemented. WiiU gets flack but I doubt its as bad as the PS3 is right now.

Effect

Not unexpected numbers and losses. Especially when Nintendo does not bother to advertise and actively sell their hardware (going a full year, doing nothing significant during the holiday season and allowing Sony and Microsoft to fully push their hardware.) and only tepidly advertise games when they launch and even then only few of them and it last for what a week if lucky. By advertise I mean TV advertisements when the buying market (kids, parents, and anyone in between) will see them and that doesn't mean purely kids channels where the only kids that might see them during the day aren't capable of explaining to their parents what they want. I haven't seen them even in the evenings when kids would be home from school during primetime on kids channels!

I don't understand how Nintendo (meaning Iwata, whom ever they have handling their budgets, etc) expects their products to sell when they don't inform people they exist or showcase them in ways that makes them interested. Nintendo Directs are press releases for the most part. Good sources of information. However not a replacement for actual marketing, advertising all businesses have to do. They did this with the Wii. Which makes it extremely confusing why they didn't bother with doing this for the Wii U and I'm talking about from the very start to now. People say the market has rejected the Wii U and I still firmly believe that that hasn't been the case because Nintendo never actively tried to inform the market at large about the system. Not the way they did the Wii. Not the way Sony and Microsoft are attempting to do with their systems. You can't actively reject something you haven't seen or had marketed to you.

E-phonk

Banned
I guess im am thinking more about the Legacy support on Vita. The convenience and wealth of the PSP/PS1 library is probably the best Ive seen.

That's because they have to release SOMETHING on vita. Vita is not a healthy platform that nintendo needs to look at for advice.

Its ten times worse if you try pressing the PS button ingame on PS3, its like the whole console is locking up. Hard to believe that the OS was so poorly implemented. WiiU gets flack but I doubt its as bad as the PS3 is right now.

The fact that you have to compare it to an 8 year old console is telling. What makes it worse is that the 8 year old console still has more features.

The problem with that is that the Wii was so badly compromised that they couldn't take the chance to create an emulator.

Piracy on the Wii was out of control. The hackers had more control over the Wii than Nintendo themselves.

I dunno man

The Wii Mode is already compromised and can run pirated software. I feel like having the WiiU run the games in a different way would have prevented piracy.

Maybe that was the only way they could do it.

Doesn't address the Virtual Console mess but I think they ran into the same licensing nightmare that Sony currently has with the PSN.

Still all Nintendo Published games should be in the library

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
IMO.....the best thing to happen to Nintendo was the video game crash of the 80's. After the SNES, Nintendo has been very hit n miss...mostly miss. Not since the NES, SNES have they had a hit console back to back. Handhelds.....they are dominating that.

After SNES, Nintendo has been ace on handhelds, but I still think every console since could be considered a failure (despite the amazing Nintendo games). When I say failure, I mean that, considering the incredible franchises and brand strength Nintendo has, I think Nintendo should have dominated every generation. Each time, though, the system seems to aim for innovations (or gimmicks) that just plain misses out on the way the industry is headed. It's always a step behind, but in the hardware as well as in Nintendo's practices. Their approach to third parties on their console has been one of the biggest gaming blunders in the last 20 years. It's either bad business sense or arrogance, or both.

Anyway, I still love my 3DSs. Here's to hoping Nintendo turns the console biz around next gen.

The fact that you have to compare it to an 8 year old console is telling. What makes it worse is that the 8 year old console still has more features.

I also find it interesting that so many are comparing the Wii U to PS3.

Good luck Nintendo. You're going to need it. But like others have said the loss seems to be R&D and marketing.

My entry point is $199 USD with MK8.

Yeah man, it's just fud! Those fud numbers aren't real! Nintendo is doing fine!

Someone impersonated the Nintendo guys and released fud numbers. It's all just a big fud conspiracy.

Fud!

Oh, not the numbers of course. But the constant bullshit which is always eloquently mentioned in threads like these. Like there are no good games, a gamepadless sku is coming soon, everyone should wait, etc etc. No reason to become hysterical young one. ;)

Exile20

That's because they have to release SOMETHING on vita. Vita is not a healthy platform that nintendo needs to look at for advice.

Vita is only doing well in Japan and they are playing catch.

Good luck Nintendo. You're going to need it. But like others have said the loss seems to be R&D and marketing.

My entry point is $199 USD with MK8.

So a $140 console? Even the cheapest ps3 is $250

Pillville

Mine doesn't have the "complete legacy library" available, nor does it play ps1/PS2 games in emulator mode (unless if you have the launch model, but those haven't been sold in years), certainly not with enhancements.

FYI: All PS3s can play PS1 disks.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Backwards compatibilty on WiiU requires using old hardware. You cant even use the Gamepad/Pro Controller

Its messy

Yea...that does suck. But seeing how most games required the motion controller and Nunchuk....what could they do.....

Maybe too much focus on that type of motion control hurt Nintendo. Sony and MS never went all in with theirs....maybe they saw something Nintendo didnt. MS might being seeing some backlash over forcing Kinect on XBO users.

The next couple of years is gonna be interesting for Nintendo...

And they have been. Still, it would be worse if they went third party.

Why? It always gets dropped as some sort of self-evident truth of why Nintendo will be making their own hardware forever, yet I don't see any evidence other than "well look at what happened to Sega". The notion that Sega would still be around today if they hadn't spun off all their internal development teams and left the hardware business is laughable.

I'm not necessarily saying that going third party is the best path for Nintendo right now, but disingenuous scare stories about how Nintendo would be forced to cancel every non-Mario game and release nothing but annual updates really piss me off.

Yea...that does suck. But seeing how most games required the motion controller and Nunchuk....what could they do.....

Maybe too much focus on that type of motion control hurt Nintendo. Sony and MS never went all in with theirs....maybe they saw something Nintendo didnt. MS might being seeing some backlash over forcing Kinect on XBO users.

The next couple of years is gonna be interesting for Nintendo...

I think there IS stuff they can do

They really need to reboot the ecosystem and it sounds like they recognize that.

QaaQer

12.26 Million Pokemon X/Y (does anyone know how this is tracking compared to other games?)
9.62 Million MK7 (same here)
9.27 SM3DLand
7.82 million NSMB2 (comparison to NSMB?)
7.66 ACNL
3.98 million for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (still feels like it came out of nowhere)
3.5 million for Nintendogs+Cats
3.35 OoT 3D
2.51 million for ALBW
2.21 Million Paper Mario Sticker Star
2.08 Mario and Luigi dream Team
1.85 million Tomodachi life

Just goes to show that Nintendo still has strong IP.

It is a shame that they refuse to build a competitive platform to put it on. I am still in shock they released a 176 Gflop machine in 2012 without backend feature parity to their rivals...probably bourne out of arrogance after the wii/ds gold strike.

DieH@rd

Banned
Cumulative handheld sales:

W7Gl45y.png

Worst result in 16 years.

They dominated with Wii/DS so hard. And now... market has changed, they offer no attractive products, smartphone/tablet business has eaten their portable sales, and there is no hope in sight.

Because Nintendo still makes hardware and also has control over their software output.

One could argue that Nintendo no longer makes competitive console hardware. If any of these ARM SoC rumors pan out, the next console will be obsolete out of the box as well. It will be great for their handheld, of course. Since console hardware is no longer a money-making business for them, the logical train of thought is to dedicate all of their resources to making handheld hardware, mobile games, and games for other dedicated home platforms/PC.

E-phonk

Banned
Why? It always gets dropped as some sort of self-evident truth of why Nintendo will be making their own hardware forever, yet I don't see any evidence other than "well look at what happened to Sega". The notion that Sega would still be around today if they hadn't spun off all their internal development teams and left the hardware business is laughable.

I'm not necessarily saying that going third party is the best path for Nintendo right now, but disingenuous scare stories about how Nintendo would be forced to cancel every non-Mario game and release nothing but annual updates really piss me off.

No, but it's very telling that the hardest supporters of "nintendo should go 3rd party" often don't currently own a nintendo console/hardware.
They are often just interested in playing the 2-3 "big" games nintendo releases (mario kart/smash/zelda/3D mario).

Ansatz

Nah, they have learned nothing, they deserve nothing.

And yeah, it should not surprise anyone. Everything related to this console has been a total disaster since the very beginning, just remember all the confusion surrounding Wii U at E3 2011. Fucking ridiculous.

Too much complacency, too much arrogance,and an astonishing level of incompetence, that's when really terrible things happen.

They have become stagnant, zero innovation, just relying on Zelda remakes and Mario 3ds ports. Neglecting core gamers,huh, neglecting 3rd party support,neglecting market, neglecting everything. They have the incredibibly talented Retro, so what? Another 2D platformer, cause Wii U hasn´t enough of them. Pathetic.

And now they think they can redeem themselves with that QOL thing? You have got to be kidding me, they are ignoring the market again. They have learned nothing.

It´s like they are trying to erase themselves from history. Oh well.

Because adapting to contemporary industry trends worked our great for Konami / Capcom / Square and their fans. The only thing that will get erased is Japanese design if they can Iwata.

Salex_

this hyperbole...

do some research about the nintendo war chest plz.

lol warchest...this is the same thing people bring up about the Xbox. This warchest won't change the reality. If their hardware numbers are shit (or in the 3DS' case, rapidly decreasing due to smartphones) and their software numbers for all of their biggest IPs are going down, that's a problem.

Exile20

Just goes to show that Nintendo still has strong IP.

It is a shame that they refuse to build a competitive platform to put it on. I am still in shock they released a 176 Gflop machine in 2012 without backend feature parity to their rivals...probably bourne out of arrogance after the wii/ds gold strike.

This boggles my mind too. SO many missteps. I love the console but damn did they stumble every step of the way.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You must realize this is pure nonsense, right? Even with thehuge Wii user base, Nintendo still made a few highly rated games that sold poorly. Wonderful 101 would not have been a hit on any platform.

Maybe I'm an optimist, maybe I'm naive, but no I don't see it as nonsense at all. I look at the games that sell on Steam, new IP's that make money, and I have to think that Nintendo with all of their assets and experience could do an even better job. I look at some of the new IP's over the years that have been successful on PS3 and X360 and yes I believe that Nintendo could be very successful competing in the same space with games like Pikmin, Bayonetta, and W101. And even more so with the Mario's, Zelda's, Pokemon's, etc. I simply don't see Nintendo having a hard time competing as a software / handheld hardware only company in today's market. Now imagine if they also put some games out on portable devices, I believe they would be hugely successful with the freedom to compete on huge userbases like that.

The Wii's problem was that a huge chunk of it's users were not gamers at all but rather fitness fad users. Nintendo wouldn't have that problem as a software company releasing on portables, PS4, X1, and Steam.

I suppose I just have faith in Nintendo's software quality speaking for itself.

QaaQer

Rough times for him, and that's why he's distracting everyone with his 'Shangri-La meets El Dorado' Qwol stuff.

IIRC, there was a thread recently that quoted Iwata as having said something like 'I thought of QOL shortly before the investor meeting in Jan 2014".

Am I remembering that correctly? Has qol only been under development for < 5 months?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
People seem to be under the impression that they're switching gears to QOL when they've made it a point that they're expanding to accomodate that stuff and that videogames is still the core business.

Look at it this way, QOL will give them an oppurtunity to shove all the dumb ideas out the door while keeping the sane ideas for their videogame platforms.

This boggles my mind too. SO many missteps. I love the console but damn did they stumble every step of the way.

The sad thing is that its possible to get some great performance out of cheap hardware but they refuse to do the work.

Instead releasing a bloated and slow OS and then taking over a year to not quite fix it.

wsippel

Banned
PSN is going to be accessible across the board though eventually

Would like to see Nintendo have a connected network at the same level.

Can't everyone just be Steam?
Nintendo Network, including Miiverse, work on both Wii U and 3DS, same account and all. The functionality on 3DS is quite limited because the system wasn't designed with a unified extensible online infrastructure in mind, but future platforms will be.

No, but it's very telling that the hardest supporters of "nintendo should go 3rd party" often don't currently own a nintendo console/hardware.
They are often just interested in playing the 2-3 "big" games nintendo releases (mario kart/smash/zelda/3D mario).

Which would still leave Nintendo in a better financial position than they are in now. Every 3rd party except EA and Activision also invest in AA and download only titles as well, with cost spread over multiple platforms these games can see a return on investment.

Shiggy

People seem to be under the impression that they're switching gears to QOL when they've made it a point that they're expanding to accomodate that stuff and that videogames is still the core business.

Look at it this way, QOL will give them an oppurtunity to shove all the dumb ideas out the door while keeping the sane ideas for their videogame platforms.

I heard that before. It was when the GB line was phased out despite the DS being just a third pillar.

E-phonk

Banned
Which would still leave Nintendo in a better financial position than they are in now. Every 3rd party except EA and Activision also invest in AA and download only titles as well, with cost spread over multiple platforms these games can see a return on investment.
If they fired 2000 people, maybe.

lol warchest...this is the same thing people bring up about the Xbox. This warchest won't change the reality. If their hardware numbers are shit (or in the 3DS' case, rapidly decreasing due to smartphones) and their software numbers for all of their biggest IPs are going down, that's a problem.

Nintendo has already pulled it around when DOOM strikes.

This situation will be no different.

nintendo is always doomed, and they are never doomed

Top Bottom