• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going red - a rebranding in progress?

Tfm9Iku.png

21LEBt9.jpg

It suits them better. They're the Mario company after all.

Wasn't a fan of the blue on Wii U boxes. NSMB Wii had a red one, and it looked great.

I doubt this means much, but I can still have a small bit of hope that this means good things are ahead.

Although blue is my favorite color, I guess I'll now associate a white and baby-blue Nintendo logo with the Wii. *shudders*

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe of all the Mario art out there, they're still using Game Cube Mario Party art for displays and stuff.

What the hell?

I think that version of Mario looks the least insane. Some of the official art for the newer titles have him looking a bit odd with his expressions.

Roo

Rösti;200136234 said:
I don't think the logo itself is turning red, that will likely continue to feature it's profile gray (on light/non-red surfaces anyway). But the red background is nice.

The gray logo was adopted in 2008.

Hope they keep the white logo at least for game packaging/boxarts.
I always found the red/white ones pre-Wii era tacky as hell.

TheJoRu

To be honest, as Rösti touched on, I don't think they're removing the gray. They're just adding red to the existing Nintendo-branding of white and gray. Their old business strategy with Wii/DS was "expand the gaming population"; more recently they've adjusted that strategy to "expand the gaming population that has access to Nintendo IP" which is what the red (Mario) is probably supposed to symbolize.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
but I thought Nintendo was always red :(

Nice. I remember how it surprised me when I learned they went with gray, since it's so lifeless in comparison. Even if its just "adding" red instead of removing gray, it's more vibrant as it should be.

Firebrand

Much prefer red Nintendo over the bland grey.

Now ditch the horrible CG Mario and bring back the 90s artwork, like they did for SM3DW.

Nanashrew

Banned
To be honest, as Rösti touched on, I don't think they're removing the gray. They're just adding red to the existing Nintendo-branding of white and gray. Their old business strategy with Wii/DS was "expand the gaming population"; more recently they've adjusted that strategy to "expand the gaming population that has access to Nintendo IP" which is what the red (Mario) is probably supposed to symbolize.

That's a possibility.

It's just very nice to look at now. The red is striking and noticeable compared to grey and white.

TheJoRu

Rösti;200137830 said:
I was under the impression that the gray logo wasn't brought into official/corporate use until 2008. Twilight Princess box has red logo for example.

Oh wow, that's true. Looked at some of my Wii-boxes again, and even stuff like Wii Sports has red logo. Maybe they made the switch once all their old product lines were discontinued in all their major markets (GBA was discontinued in NA in 2008, for example), who knows.

Rösti;200137830 said:
I was under the impression that the gray logo wasn't brought into official/corporate use until 2008. Twilight Princess box has red logo for example.

Yeah, I think most of the launch Wii games used the red logo. I think that was mostly carried over from the Gamecube generation. The gray logo made it's first retail appearance on the Wii box.

I can't think of the exact game that started using the gray logo on the box art, but by the time Wii Fit came out in 2007, they had already adopted it.

EDIT: A bit of research tells me that they were using the red logo on their games as far in as October 2007. Wii Fit came out in December.

Nanashrew

Banned
I really have the firm belief that the 2006+ era of white/gray simplicity had something to do with Apple.

Well, Nintendo directly and fiercely went after Apple's market of young 20 somethings with the simple design and form of play. And it worked too. That's Nintendo when they're completely focused on the goal and not half-assing something.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Although the Nintendo logo still appeared on the back/side of boxes and on start-up screens in white and grey, I wouldn't classify white and grey as still being their primary marketing colors for the 3DS/Wii U gen. They used solid reds/magentas for a lot of 3DS branding and that solid electric blue for almost all their Wii U stuff.

Banned
This is actually what I wanted. Now it's blue vs green vs red.

OG Nintendo is best Nintendo. Yamauchi is gonna get resurrected and call anyone who plays jrpgs losers who live in basements with no life. It's the 90's breh's!

Top Bottom