• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Hosting Smash Bros and new 3DS Game Discussions at E3

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Too early for a 3D Mario unless it is from another team, 3D World has only been out for 6 months. And Animal Crossing wouldn't make much sense given Nintendo's evergreen philosophy.

That's why I keep going back to a new 2D Metroid game. It is something that would get E3 crowd and their core fans excited, and even though it's not among their biggest selling IPs is not exactly a small one either.

Still, that doesn't seem like the type of game you have an hour and a half developer roundtable for. It also wouldn't really qualify as a "major" holiday title since it probably wouldn't sell much better than FE:A worldwide.

Possibly, however, in my opinion, Metroid it is not considered a notable IP. The unannounced 3DS is most likely a Holiday title to compliment Pokemon, Metroid 3DS will do nothing, especially in Jpn.

What title is it? :( So much mystery.

-Horizon-

Possibly, however, in my opinion, it is not considered a notableIP. The unannounced 3DS is most likely a Holiday title to compliment Pokemon, Metroid 3DS will do nothing, especially in Jpn.

Successful in Japan? It has to have a waifu simulator so its most definitely another Fire Emblem game.

The 3DS conference is 1 hour 30 minutes long for one game.

It's way too long for any other game that we know of other than Pokemon. And pokemon has already been announced.

I would bet that it's going to be that NFC game Nintendo has been talking about or something about QOL.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Possibly, however, in my opinion, Metroid it is not considered a notable IP. The unannounced 3DS is most likely a Holiday title to compliment Pokemon, Metroid 3DS will do nothing, especially in Jpn.

Nintendo has already covered their big selling IPs on 3DS, and their evergreen philosophy makes it unlikely for them to throw sequels out when the current games are still selling.

Metroid is probably the biggest IP left off the system, and if this isn't referring to that or a Majora's Mask remake, it is probably a new IP. (I'd say the new IP is more likely than either of the other options)

Successful in Japan? It has to have a waifu simulator so its most definitely another Fire Emblem game.

You have no idea how much these joke posts hurt. Fire Emblem Awakening killed Fire Emblem, didn't it?

:(

I would bet that it's going to be that NFC game Nintendo has been talking about or something about QOL.

Why would it be about QOL? That has nothing to do with 3DS. NFC is also unlikely since 3DS NFC is a long way away compared to Wii U NFC, they would more likely talk about that. But it can't be that since whatever it is, it is a 3DS game.

I'm thinking it's Miyamoto's new IP. The new IP would benefit the most from a round table discussion.

The "Miyamoto IP" is almost certainly the gamepad-oriented projects they are announcing. Likely with less Miyamoto influence than a lot of people expect. He's the GM, he can't focus on individual games.

Riki

The 3DS conference is 1 hour 30 minutes long for one game.

It's way too long for any other game that we know of other than Pokemon. And pokemon has already been announced.

Again, the 3DS NFC isn't for another full year. Why would they skip the WiiU NFC games that come out this year for this Q&A.
And QoL isn't for 3DS.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If anything Awakening saved FE.

Honestly I'd rather the series fall by the wayside than become a shadow of its former self, selling out to the otaku crowd. It wouldn't even be as bad if the game itself was better, but it felt like a step backwards from Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and New Mystery of the Emblem.

Yeah, avatar quote. I did enjoy the game, and I liked the awesome fan art. So sue me. ;)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo has already covered their big selling IPs on 3DS, and their evergreen philosophy makes it unlikely for them to throw sequels out when the current games are still selling.

Metroid is probably the biggest IP left off the system, and if this isn't referring to that or a Majora's Mask remake, it is probably a new IP. (I'd say the new IP is more likely than either of the other options)

Majora's Mask 3D is a strong contender to compliment Pokemon as mentioned in my previous posts.

A new IP or a revival would have more impact than Metroid 3DS, but that's another discussion entirely :p

I'm looking forward to the conference.

Honestly I'd rather the series fall by the wayside than become a shadow of its former self, selling out to the otaku crowd. It wouldn't even be as bad if the game itself was better, but it felt like a step backwards from Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and New Mystery of the Emblem.

Yeah, avatar quote. I did enjoy the game, and I liked the awesome fan art. So sue me. ;)

The franchise is simply adapting to the times, nothing more. I'd rather Nintendo release more Fire Embem games that follow the spirit of Seisen no Keifu and Thracia 776, but I realize that those types of games were simply following a trend that was popular back in the SNES era and they wouldn't perform as well nowadays.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There is no Monolith Soft 3DS game.

http://andriasang.com/con02n/monolith_3ds/
23s36.jpg

it all makes sense why ness hasn't been announced for smash bros yet...

they are planning to port mother 3 to 3ds and announce the sequel, mother 4...

hold me

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
You know Monolith Soft Kyoto worked on Animal Crossing New Leaf and Link Between Worlds, right? Both of which were released after the job postings.

Monolith was an art-support studio underneath the main art teams of both EAD - 3DS games mentioned anove.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
it all makes sense why ness hasn't been announced for smash bros yet...

they are planning to port mother 3 to 3ds and announce the sequel, mother 4...

hold me

I'd be all over this. Never played Mother, but Ness is my OG.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Monolith was an art-support studio underneath the main art teams of both EAD - 3DS games mentioned anove.

Plus they worked on Skyward Sword and at least according to Wiki, Pikmin 3 (hadn't heard about this one aside from that mention).

Regardless, they aren't a full development studio and don't have their own game in development unless something changed very recently.

Plus they worked on Skyward Sword and at least according to Wiki, Pikmin 3 (hadn't heard about this one aside from that mention).

Regardless, they aren't a full development studio and don't have their own game in development unless something changed very recently.

but Monolithsoft released this teaser like more than a year ago:

Isotope

FWIW, デザイナー means designer. And considering reports that that was an ad (Of sorts) looking for artists/designers, it all fits.

Again, the 3DS NFC isn't for another full year. Why would they skip the WiiU NFC games that come out this year for this Q&A.
And QoL isn't for 3DS.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have tie-in apps for the 3ds or wiiu, actually. Though it won't be the core version of course.

As much as I don't believe it, the more I think about it Metroid or a new IP are the only logical answers. Too soon for new Mario, Animal Crossing or Zelda and they wouldn't devote 90 minutes to a 3D remakes of an N64 game (Majora's Mask) and Pokemon wad just announced. There's no way in hell its F-Zero or Star Fox so Metroid or a brand new IP are the only options left.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Never stop being you, GAF.

Game stands at a 92 metacritic, and anyone I ask loves this game. C'mon, dude...

Opinions. I don't care for the dating sim elements and these days it's almost all that is referenced when people talk about Fire Emblem, sometimes as a joke, othertimes not. Beyond the surface Awakening had a lot of problems, it wasn't balanced well and map designs were pretty weak. I enjoyed the game overall, but in my opinion it is also without a doubt a below average entry in the series.

They are probably going to double down on the dating sim/anime archtype nonsense in future entries since it is so popular in Awakening (and in FE4). As long as Awakening is a one time misfire on the balance issues and all those lame open field maps I can overlook the fluff. Hopefully.

As much as I don't believe it, the more I think about it Metroid or a new IP are the only logical answers. Too soon for new Mario, Animal Crossing or Zelda and they wouldn't devote 90 minutes to a 3D remakes of an N64 game (Majora's Mask) and Pokemon wad just announced. There's no way in hell its F-Zero or Star Fox so Metroid or a brand new IP are the only options left.

Even 90 minutes for Metroid seems really excessive though, unless they are going to spend an hour of that apologizing for Other M and explaining why this one will be better and the rest of the time answering questions.

maxcriden

They aren't calling it a 3DS Direct, it's just a "discussion"/roundtable with the developers. Like I said above, I doubt there will be any announcements there, just more details on what will probably be their big holiday title for 3DS.

Thanks for the clarification!

Jobbs

Banned
I think if Nintendo were to put an old school, 2D, 2D art, super metroid styled game onto 3DS -- or Wii U for that matter -- Whether or not it was a blockbuster hit in terms of retail sales, it would generate enormous good will which helps the brand. You have to think they'd understand that.

The idea of a new core 2D Metroid seems very unlikely, but I always hold out that smallest bit of hope..

ugoo18

I think if Nintendo were to put an old school, 2D, 2D art, super metroid styled game onto 3DS -- or Wii U for that matter -- Whether or not it was a blockbuster hit in terms of retail sales, it would generate enormous good will which helps the brand. You have to think they'd understand that.

The idea of a new core 2D Metroid seems very unlikely, but I always hold out that smallest bit of hope..

If anything i see that becoming Wind Waker all over again, in that regardless of how good the game is it will always carry that Celda stigma. If they are trying to grow the brand in any significant way a 2D Metroid for it's first ever entry into the HD world is not going to do that.

3D Metroid is the way to go if they want to generate goodwill among more than just people who are already Metroid fans.

EDIT: In regards to what game it could be based on how long it's going for i cannot see Metroid as it currently is post Other M and on the 3DS needing or having the clout to take up that much time if that makes sense. Back in the Prime era sure but now i doubt it.

I can't see it being F-Zero, basically i can't see it being an IP that's not been a relative hit of sorts (Saleswise) or is a logical fit for the 3DS. I'm going with either a new IP or a new entry in series that would fit the 3DS or something NFC related.

That amount of time for one game? Geeze.

Didn't Pokemon X/Y get a similar amount of time for a discussion/direct during last years E3?

Hopefully Pokemon 3D Snap.

It would be a pr disaster to do a 2d metroid on the wiiu. People who look down on sidescrollers outnumber those who strongly prefer 2d metroid to 3d metroid.

Blues1990

Imagine if Nintendo had a new exclusive Mega Man for the 3DS?

Given how Capcom is right now, I want them to stay away from developing any future Mega Man games. However, I would be fine if they give the Classic Mega Man series to a more competent (& well-rounded) developer that knows how to handle the series.

Fey

Banned
If the unannounced game is also being released this fall/winter along with the Ruby/Sapphire remakes, I hope it's a brand new game, and not something like Majora's Mask. I don't want both of the major winter 3DS titles to be remakes. :/

Top Bottom