• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo increasing Switch production, preorders good

Jaruru

I don't think there is any hype (except for Internet forums). We are 4-5 weeks before release and nobody talks about the Switch here.
I haven't seen any commercials either. Even the WiiU had more advertising. The Switch is going to tank pretty hard.

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there is any hype (except for Internet forums). We are 4-5 weeks before release and nobody talks about the Switch here.
I haven't seen any commercials either. Even the WiiU had more advertising. The Switch is going to tank pretty hard.

your profile says you're from germany too. your anecdotal evidence is different to my anecdotal evidence. I've friends who have not bought a console in years, and they've already pre-ordered the switch.

on amazon.de, even the joy-cons and the switch case are sold out, hell even the damn ac adapter is out of stock since yesterday. the normal zelda botw game for switch is on/off being sold out/being back in stock.
https://www.amazon.de/b/ref=dp_bc_2?ie=UTF8&node=12363591031

daxgame

Given a launch early in the month and a worldwide launch, yes.

The PS4 sold 1 million units in its first 24 hours on Nov 15 launch, and added Europe and Australasia at the end of the month to reach 2.1 million by Dec 3. The Xbox One did the same (slightly more regions) and did 2 million in its first 18 days.

But that's in the shopping season... what's the point of this comparison?
To me, it seems a conservative but not dramatic estimate for a single month.

If they are bumping up production, even better anyway. They did say it before didn't they?

Speaking of which, this answer cracked me up :D
suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure

you know they want to have a Wii-like "problem" again where moms are tackling each other at wal mart to get the hot new nintendo system
hype. artificial demand creates excitement and a "must have" product. it worked very well for the wii.

you are definitely better off undershipping and having people frothing at the mouth for more stock than overshipping and having units sit on shelves, like they did with wii u.

Zedark

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahha
mGmwmpJ.jpg

z0m3le

Banned
Given a launch early in the month and a worldwide launch, yes.

The PS4 sold 1 million units in its first 24 hours on Nov 15 launch, and added Europe and Australasia at the end of the month to reach 2.1 million by Dec 3. The Xbox One did the same (slightly more regions) and did 2 million in its first 18 days.

Considering black friday and the shopping season, we can just look at what those consoles did through out november and december:

On January 6, 2014, Microsoft announced that approximately 3 million consoles had been sold worldwide in 2013.

On January 7, 2014, Andrew House announced in his Consumer Electronics Show keynote speech that 4.2 million PS4 units had been sold-through by the end of 2013

Again these are during the busiest shopping season, on launches following much stronger consoles than Wii U, Switch is looking good given these numbers IMO.

routerbad

Banned

You literally came here, to a thread about Nintendo increasing supply due to preorder demand, to say there's no hype.

I just can't help but chuckle. This isn't even a good try at spinning the news. If you're seeing no hype, you're not really paying attention. And that's okay, the switch is certainly not going to be for everyone, and it's not going to have the same attention everywhere.

If it tanks it tanks, but this thread exists because it looks like demand for the thing is strong.

You literally came here, to a thread about Nintendo increasing supply due to preorder demand, to say there's no hype.

I just can't help but chuckle. This isn't even a good try at spinning the news. If you're seeing no hype, you're not really paying attention. And that's okay, the switch is certainly not going to be for everyone, and it's not going to have the same attention everywhere.

If it tanks it tanks, but this thread exists because it looks like demand for the thing is strong.

The demand is stong? We don't even have any numbers. Just some words spoken by Kimishima.

gogogow

The perferct Dark: No hype, no one is talking about it. Worse than Wii U! The Switch is going to tank pretty hard.

Kimishima: We will increase the Switch production.

Hahahahahaahahaha....

Shiggy

It's not necessarily down to hype though. 2 mio was never a high number for the launch month of a new Nintendo system. Just imagine they only supplied 10 units and Nintendo then announced they will double that amount due to demand, then you would also not say that this is because of hype. It's more down to Nintendo's conservative forecast and planning.

geordiemp

What is interesting is that this information is offered just before the Q&A for the investors meeting, the TIMING of which probably to deflect flak for the results.

How switch sells after early vigorous adoption by Nintendo fans is still totally unknown.

Maybe they increased production by 2 %, maybe by 200 %, we will find out if someone asks about revised projections for 2017.

If there is no revised projections for 2017 then its just PR.

People reading into this is quite funny either way.

routerbad

Banned
The demand is stong? We don't even have any numbers. Just some words spoken by Kimishima.

Some words from the CEO of the company saying they are increasing production to meet demand. Totally baseless, amirite?

You're right though, we'll have a much better idea when we have hard numbers.

I'm not sure if 2M was the initial shipment originally or not, but I heard elsewhere that GameStop in NA got 500k preorders alone (I'm trying to verify this, so correct if wrong because I can't remember the source). Every GameStop in my county is sold through preorders, as well as every Best Buy, Walmart, target, etc. amazon US is sold through their allotment, amazon in pretty much every region has. This is happening *after* the holiday shopping season, mind you.

Roufianos

Comparisons to PS4's first two months are pointless. Sony sold every console they made.

It sold 4.2 million, it obviously would have sold more if the stock was there.

No one is doubting the Switch will sell millions of units quickly. The question is if it will trail off like the Wii-U. Personally I think it's a bit to expensive right now and they made some poor decision in what they prioritized. I'm not sure what the rabid Nintendo fan base is, but I'm damn positive it's at least 6-8 million. Those are just guaranteed sales basically.

routerbad

Banned
It's not necessarily down to hype though. 2 mio was never a high number for the launch month of a new Nintendo system. Just imagine they only supplied 10 units and Nintendo then announced they will double that amount due to demand, then you would also not say that this is because of hype. It's more down to Nintendo's conservative forecast and planning.

What? 2M is pretty solid for any first month for a console outside of the holidays, IMO. And it sounds like it may start off stronger than that.

If they're still talking about planning to increase production as if it hasn't been done yet, I don't see it affecting March supply.

Regarding discussion of launch supply versus various November launches, we could instead look at other Q1 launches. GBA was only available in Japan for about 3 weeks of Q1 and they still shipped over a million. 3DS was available in Japan for a little over a month and NA/EU a week and they shipped over 3 million. For a non-Nintendo example, PS2 launched March 4 in Japan and had passed a million by the end of the month. So yeah, 2 million for 3 regions for nearly a full month is pretty low.
Well with the original Wii and the NES Classic being short in supply, it's good to see Nintendo are (supposedly) more ready to react with the Switch.
They did ramp up production of Wii pretty steadily for a few years.

Usobuko

Banned
The first reveal was A+ masterclass. The click sound, the name, the trailer, the aesthetics all come together to make it a really memorable event.

The second and more indepth reveal of the price, online structure, softwares etc. burn quite a few goodwill.

I do not which message have a stronger impact but I think Nintendo can still amend this.

Good news! The 2 million were quite conservative though. I guess they don't want another WiiU situation where they planned to produce 10 millions first year if I'm not mistaken.

I hope this console will succeed, I'm really hyped for it. And general audience around me seems quite interested when they're told about the product.

zoukka

I think it's gonna sell great at launch, but I have to agree with the notion that word of mouth doesn't really exist like it with Wii or even Wii U.

I think it's gonna sell great at launch, but I have to agree with the notion that word of mouth doesn't really exist like it with Wii or even Wii U.

In what way? How do you gauge that?

'General discussion' in the media and Twitter is preoccupied, rightfully so, with the consequences of Trump's presidency.

Not sure about that. I was talking on the phone to my much older sister who has never played a videogame in her life and she asked me if I would be getting the new Nintendo Switch. When I asked why (baffled why she would bring it up), she said her husband told her about it (he detests video games) and he was like, "oh shit, that's fucking cool, our son's going to want that" (the son's a PS4 gamer). When I asked her how her husband had heard about Switch, she said she wasn't sure, but he's always on Facebook/internet, so probably there.

Anecdotal sure, but that's word of mouth.

PrimeBeef

Good news! The 2 million were quite conservative though. I guess they don't want another WiiU situation where they planned to produce 10 millions first year if I'm not mistaken.

I hope this console will succeed, I'm really hyped for it. And general audience around me seems quite interested when they're told about the product.
Again, how so? PS4 and XB1 sold around 2m each in their first month. Nintendo is coming off it's worst console ever and it's popularity among gamers is pretty low in comparison to the other two. 2m for launch seemed generous.

entremet

It is still going be doing Wii U numbers like many of you guys predicted lol?

I don't know how successful it will be, but people predicting Wii U type sales LTD were nuts.

The marketing and concept are leagues better.

I don't remember any Wii U word of mouth.

Nibel

Thank god we have The perfect Dark from NeoGAF to inform us about stuff like this

hivycox

The hype is real. Most people saw the reveal in october and not the switch event. I've talked to some friends at the university and they all seemed very interested in the device (some of them are only game on playstation or pc). And thats in germany nonetheless. I've expected no hype at all here but this fact is very encouraging.

People here don't like Nintendo as much as Sony in regards to video games so it is plausible that we got the least amount of Switch systems in comparison to france and UK.

PrimeBeef

I don't know how successful it will be, but people predicting Wii U type sales LTD were nuts.

If the pre orders are any indication with will out sell the WiiU. It took the WiiU until yhe end of 2012 to surpass 3m units sold. It launched during the Christmas shopping season. I could see the NS closing in on total WiiU sales by the end of this year.

Neoxon

Good to hear, I was considering switching to the Neon Switch & getting the Gray Joy-Cons later down the road.

JDarg

Neo Member
Past few days in UK I have seen loads more places of stock for the grey version but not the neon. I WANT NEON!

zoukka

I do. It was the successor to Wii, the most talked about games console of all time. Sure the hype died pretty soon after launch, but that isn't relevant here.

I haven't heard anyone in my work community talk about Switch. I am the only one who has mentioned it in conversations and I'm a GAF'er :)

If they're still talking about planning to increase production as if it hasn't been done yet, I don't see it affecting March supply.

I'm not sure, if we want to believe the Foxconn leak (which looks very, very accurate now), this one factory can produce 20k units per day. If they can ramp up that factory to 25-30k those units should be shippable well within a month, right?

I'm not going to argue with your point about the Wii, I mean, we don't even have a South Park episode about the Switch. But the Wii U? Almost every reaction I've seen has been leagues better than the Wii U, especially when the majority of "non-tech" news sites were calling it a controller for the Wii.

This has no such stigma, so it's already off to a far better start.

Even today the majority of casuals thinks the Wii U is a Wii accessorie. Friends of my that skipped the Wii U have the Switch in preorder already, also the Hype is far far greater than the Wii U. The Switch is going to be really big.

I was having after work drinks with the interns and one of them was super excited for the Switch when I said I was gonna get one.

Didn't even know the law firm had other gamers but there ya go. This thing isn't going to tank. The fact people will have it as a portable on the train to work alone will increase word of mouth.

Why the hell play Candy Crush when you can play Mario Kart 8 on the way to work?

Davey Cakes

The Switch has way better word of mouth than Wii U. It's a much more interesting and distinct product and people seem to actually give a shit this time around.

Oregano

I'm not gonna make any predictions but even recently I've had people ask me what exactly a Wii U is and people still don't really differentiate DS and 3DS. Having a brand new brand and form factor will do wonders.

They really haven't started any big ad campaign yet though.

Scrawnton

This is good to hear. Now Nintendo needs to follow up launch with continuing hype. Hit VC hard from the get go and keep people engaged.

Great news... and just watch the haters turn this as bad news... Or already happened?

2 millions in one month! Now 3 perhaps! lol PS4 did one million first day this thing is doomed none of my friends are talking about it even the WiiU had more hype than this.

there. You don't have to read the thread to find the troll comments, they're here in a nutshell.

I want to believe, but there is still a chance that this is corporate doublespeak to please investors and not indicative of anything real. After all, no CEO is going to say "actually our preorders completely suck, we're thinking about leaving the market entirely and going into pachinko" until the very last moment.

Top Bottom