• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo increasing Switch production, preorders good

Zedark

I want to believe, but there is still a chance that this is corporate doublespeak to please investors and not indicative of anything real. After all, no CEO is going to say "actually our preorders completely suck, we're thinking about leaving the market entirely and going into pachinko" until the very last moment.
There is marked difference between saying preorders are good in order to please investors and saying preorders are so good that they are going to up their production to meet demand.

But but artificial scarcity
Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

I was having after work drinks with the interns and one of them was super excited for the Switch when I said I was gonna get one.

Didn't even know the law firm had other gamers but there ya go. This thing isn't going to tank. The fact people will have it as a portable on the train to work alone will increase word of mouth.

Why the hell play Candy Crush when you can play Mario Kart 8 on the way to work?

Can you imagine the Switch turning normal commutes into impromptu MK8 LAN parties? That would be the ultimate real world marketing ploy. Why play candy crush by yourself when you can play Mario Kart with everyone else on your bus or train?

I'm not gonna make any predictions but even recently I've had people ask me what exactly a Wii U is and people still don't really differentiate DS and 3DS. Having a brand new brand and form factor will do wonders.

They really haven't started any big ad campaign yet though.

Yeah, and honestly, they don't really need to until close to (and after) launch. The Super Bowl should have an ad or two (especially one for Zelda) and after that maybe a slow increase in ad volume until it reaches a height in mid-March through April. The initial stock will sell out without any ads really.

entremet

I do. It was the successor to Wii, the most talked about games console of all time. Sure the hype died pretty soon after launch, but that isn't relevant here.

I haven't heard anyone in my work community talk about Switch. I am the only one who has mentioned it in conversations and I'm a GAF'er :)
It was mostly confusion from my camps.

Many thought it was a Wii accessory. The tablet that is.

The tablet form factor also looked like a fisher price tablet.

The Wii U was a disaster and the market reacted in kind.

Can you imagine the Switch turning normal commutes into impromptu MK8 LAN parties? That would be the ultimate real world marketing ploy. Why play candy crush by yourself when you can play Mario Kart with everyone else on your bus or train?

That's the dream. My bro's already gonna have one so our trips in the city are gonna go alot easier in a month's time and even better after MK8 comes.

Splatoon 2 will be pretty decent too I'd imagine heh.

That's the dream. My bro's already gonna have one so our trips in the city are gonna go alot easier in a month's time and even better after MK8 comes.

Splatoon 2 will be pretty decent too I'd imagine heh.

I'm more thinking that, for people who typically take a bus or train to work every day with the same strangers, always on their phones, maybe a couple of people bringing a Switch one day could get everyone else interested in participating, and getting to know each other.

Nintendo bringing the world together, that's the (other) dream.

Air

Banned
Good news. Maybe I can get one at GameStop.

Also, switch has been trending on Facebook at 450k for the past week (more than any political news for me). Not sure where this 'no word of mouth' thing is coming from

zoukka

I'm not going to argue with your point about the Wii, I mean, we don't even have a South Park episode about the Switch. But the Wii U? Almost every reaction I've seen has been leagues better than the Wii U, especially when the majority of "non-tech" news sites were calling it a controller for the Wii.

This has no such stigma, so it's already off to a far better start.

My point is not the tone of the word of mouth but the amount. Wii U had doubters, the hype died quick, but because it was the successor to Wii, it was very interesting.

My point is not the tone of the word of mouth but the amount. Wii U had doubters, the hype died quick, but because it was the successor to Wii, it was very interesting.

Except the majority of that word of mouth (outside of gaming forums/publications) called it an add-on to the Wii. And I truly disagree that it had more overall word of mouth and mindshare than the Switch- just look at the various youtube video views.

The other factor is the Wii U had started its ad campaign at least 4 weeks from release whereas the Switch has not, likely due to it not releasing in the holiday season. Nintendo seems (rightfully, I'd say) confident that the initial shipment will sell out quite quickly, so the ad campaign can come into play after that happens, at which point the mindshare and word of mouth should greatly increase.

Lutherian

I don't think there is any hype (except for Internet forums). We are 4-5 weeks before release and nobody talks about the Switch here.
I haven't seen any commercials either. Even the WiiU had more advertising. The Switch is going to tank pretty hard.

I should downgrade your nickname as "Perfect Dark Zero", because you're not worthy of the nickname "Perfect Dark"" at all.

does this mean they will make more units available for preorders?

According to Reddit, Mochi's other tweets in Japanese suggest that this increased production won't really have an effect in some territories until April. So it could affect pre-launch stock in big markets like NA or Japan but it's not guaranteed.

Unless they can pop out that many more in three days, that doesn't mean mucheck for launch. It takes a month for them to go from Asia to the US

I think it's gonna sell great at launch, but I have to agree with the notion that word of mouth doesn't really exist like it with Wii or even Wii U.
Dude the only word of mouth that the Wii U had, was core Nintendo fans like me explaining to other people that the Wii U exists (Is not a Wii accessory too)... Nothing more. Not even remotely at the Switch levels.

Guevara

I have no trouble believing it will sell well out the gate: there's a lot of pent up demand lapsed Nintendo fans who maybe skipped the Wii U, and this also attracts those who just want the latest Nintendo handheld.

But that will all change if the system is plagued with software droughts.

zoukka

Dude the only word of mouth that the Wii U had, was core Nintendo fans like me explaining to other people that the Wii U exists (Is not a Wii accessory too)... Nothing more. Not even remotely at the Switch levels.

I did the same explaining... because people asked about what the Wii U was.

Aroll

Considering their original 2 million figure was embarrassing for what we now know is a full month of sales: good.

Embarrassing how? First 4 weeks of sales data for both the Xbox One and PS4 were around 2 million. Nintendo is coming off a system where they could barely move more than 2 million units in a single year. They had no way to really properly gauge how many units they need during launch month. The fact they thought they could sell two million was already a wonder, given the data available.

clemenx

Banned
Are some people really saying the Wii "oh, isn't it another accessory for the Wii?" U had freaking word of mouth? LOL

I have no trouble believing it will sell well out the gate: there's a lot of pent up demand lapsed Nintendo fans who maybe skipped the Wii U, and this also attracts those who just want the latest Nintendo handheld.

But that will all change if the system is plagued with software droughts.

After launch, we have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, (possibly) Mario Maker, (likely) Pokemon Stars, (possibly) Smash Switch, and possibly Xenoblade 2 in Japan at least... And that's all in the first 9 months.

Considering Mario Odyssey is confirmed to be essentially finished, this bodes very well for a lack of long software droughts from first party studios in 2017 and 2018, especially compared to the Wii U where you have (after launch) Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World.... and that's it for the first 12 months.

I think it's gonna sell great at launch, but I have to agree with the notion that word of mouth doesn't really exist like it with Wii or even Wii U.

Anecdotal evidence has value, but...to state 'word of mouth doesn't exist' based solely on your personal experience is, putting it lightly, questionable.

I just want Best Buy to offer for pre-order the Neon Switch so I can cancel my Gray Switch pre-order and you know...make the switch.

LQX

What does this even mean? Are they ramping up production due to demand? Because it is a new console? Seems like such a odd statemeant to make about new hardware that you will be selling for years and goes on sale in a few weeks.

PSFan

Anecdotal evidence has value, but...to state 'word of mouth doesn't exist' based solely on your personal experience is, putting it lightly, questionable.

It's also questionable to state that word of mouth does exist based on your personal experience. I haven't seen anyone talking about it outside the internet either.

I don't think that will be an option in the US. Aren't all the preorders sold out?

We don't know that. Retailers may not put up their entire allotments for preorder and hold some back for launch day.

Aleh

Well I met a gamer in real life like 3 months ago that didn't even know they made a successor to the Wii... it made me laugh but that says something

I thought it was obvious I was only talking about my own experience.

But in light of the topic of this thread, isn't it a bit weird to base any kind of broad statement on that? 'The amount' of word-of-mouth, as though it's been measured, 'word of mouth doesn't exist'. If you want to make it obvious you're only talking about your own experience, why use such strong language in generalised statements?

It's also questionable to state that word of mouth does exist based on your personal experience. I haven't seen anyone talking about it outside the internet either.

Good thing I'm not making those kind of statements then ;)

phanphare

Banned
Embarrassing how? First 4 weeks of sales data for both the Xbox One and PS4 were around 2 million. Nintendo is coming off a system where they could barely move more than 2 million units in a single year. They had no way to really properly gauge how many units they need during launch month. The fact they thought they could sell two million was already a wonder, given the data available.

also X1 and PS4 launched during the holiday shopping season, Switch is launching in March

What does this even mean? Are they ramping up production due to demand? Because it is a new console? Seems like such a odd statemeant to make about new hardware that you will be selling for years and goes on sale in a few weeks.

It means that they are going to add additional production runs early. Nintendo certainly has a multi-year production schedule (based on forecasts) that it's working off of. It's not like they made 2M units and that's it - remember this is an entity that has been selling video game hardware for a half century.

Essentially, from a business standpoint, they are revising their forecasts as new purchase orders are coming in. This happens often (used to work in supply chain) and is one of those "good" problems to have.

Top Bottom