• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is the richest company in Japan with over $11 billion in cash and no debt

Ogbert

Tell me more about your GaaS.

big lebowski bowling GIF

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
Their business strategy over the years really warrants a lot of study. It’s remarkable how they always seem to come out on top and seem to have practically no internal drama or division worth reporting on.
Um no, they fuck up every 2nd generation.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Imagine losing the console war to a company with less money than the cost of Activision.
Eh, they didn't get there without losses of their own. I love Nintendo, but let's not pretend the road to success was perfectly paved.

The two most successful console manufacturers, in fact, have had their share of losses, but continue to win generations because they know how to tackle the industry. They still had to put in the work.

1) Protect your brand identity, stick to your values
2) Keep releasing bangers on your compelling platform with insanely wide appeal
3) ????
4) Profit
It's not just about that...Nintendo unlike Sony doesn't need $300M per huge game because they don't chase visuals the way Sony does. That has never been their thing.

The fact they have brands like Pokemon with them is also a huge plus.

I agree with your 3 points btw.

love nintendo, but stuff like this always reminds me of their penny pinching crap, like removing the digital-out from late gen gamecubes, and this monstrosity:
135525564045.jpg

Their business strategy over the years really warrants a lot of study. It’s remarkable how they always seem to come out on top and seem to have practically no internal drama or division worth reporting on.
That's more on japan's work culture than anything.

How many Japanese companies have those reports happening? They are really rare.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
What does richest mean? That's like saying I'm richer than the United States because I have savings and no debts.

BlackTron

And some Gaf users giving Nintendo advices on how to manage a video game company to avoid bankruptcy… lol

The same people who say "I swear whenever anyone says Nintendo is doomed/should go third party someone else comes in with the same argument about how much money they have"

Uhh, YEAH

Deerock71

When did debt become a bad thing for companies? Does Japan handle debt differently through taxes?
Well, it might become a bad thing when you're forced to revise your income stream downward to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, which in turn could make your stocks take a tumble. It's tough to come up with a recent example of that happening, though.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, it might become a bad thing when you're forced to revise your income stream downward to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, which in turn could make your stocks take a tumble. It's tough to come up with a recent example of that happening, though.
That can certainly happen when a company has excessive debt but sitting on too much cash isn’t helpful either. Depends on their plans and risk tolerance I suppose.

Itchy Tickles

Neo Member
1) Exploit fans as much as possible.
2) Release a system built for like 3 games and then release refreshed versions of the console with the same power and price, but different screen and still shit controllers.
3) Charge for online and access to SOME games up to, I think, the N64 that somehow can run worse than before.
4) Still treat online as if it's some weird Japanese mythological monster that will eat your 2nd baby's hair. Crazy how far behind they are.
5) Remake / Remaster games nonstop and sell them for more than they cost originally. Some with little effort.
6) Be a Nintendo fanboy and think paying was over the odds is a sign of quality and not being stupid. Have you seen how they treat their "fans" ?
7) Games rarely go on sale (not a legal thing to do, but they have to be the worse) and stop shops in big and smaller countries from buying top up vouchers and digital games so Nintendo can over charge what they want and then act like they are doing you a favour with some shit voucher scheme. Scum.
8) There's obviously more, but congrats Nintendo! A really nice friendly company.

Top Bottom