• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is the richest company in Japan with over $11 billion in cash and no debt

Deerock71

1) Exploit fans as much as possible.
2) Release a system built for like 3 games and then release refreshed versions of the console with the same power and price, but different screen and still shit controllers.
3) Charge for online and access to SOME games up to, I think, the N64 that somehow can run worse than before.
4) Still treat online as if it's some weird Japanese mythological monster that will eat your 2nd baby's hair. Crazy how far behind they are.
5) Remake / Remaster games nonstop and sell them for more than they cost originally. Some with little effort.
6) Be a Nintendo fanboy and think paying was over the odds is a sign of quality and not being stupid. Have you seen how they treat their "fans" ?
7) Games rarely go on sale (not a legal thing to do, but they have to be the worse) and stop shops in big and smaller countries from buying top up vouchers and digital games so Nintendo can over charge what they want and then act like they are doing you a favour with some shit voucher scheme. Scum.
8) There's obviously more, but congrats Nintendo! A really nice friendly company.
Can you point to us on the doll where Nintendo touched you?

Trunx81

No debt? doubt.jpg
Debt is important to save on taxes and I´m pretty sure Nintendo has some of the best tax agents in the world.

Just like the Wii/DS era, they just raked in the cash when times were good, always great to be in a very cash-rich position and not have any bad debt. Makes it far easier to weather the storm when times are tough. I think they have a good shot at making a decent go of it with the next-gen Switch, but with development costs and component costs rising, Nintendo is not immune to the same issues facing Xbox & Playstation.

When did debt become a bad thing for companies? Does Japan handle debt differently through taxes?
It's always preferable to be in a position where you don't have debt. Because that means you don't have to worry about paying the debt off if you lose your positive financial position, or you risk the the assets declining in value and then you could be in a situation where you don't have the cash flow to pay them off, or you have to sell good assets to pay off bad debt.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Just like the Wii/DS era, they just raked in the cash when times were good, always great to be in a very cash-rich position and not have any bad debt. Makes it far easier to weather the storm when times are tough. I think they have a good shot at making a decent go of it with the next-gen Switch, but with development costs and component costs rising, Nintendo is not immune to the same issues facing Xbox & Playstation.
denzel-washington-training-day.gif

wipeout364

Toyota is 5 times the size of Nintendo, Sony is also bigger than Nintendo. Is this just about who has cash on hand?

Cash reserves are not necessarily considered a good business practice since it can indicate
1) lack of forward thinking and investment in the company
2) lack of respect for shareholders(dividends)/employees(bonuses)
3) can be a tax liability.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It's always preferable to be in a position where you don't have debt. Because that means you don't have to worry about paying the debt off if you lose your positive financial position, or you risk the the assets declining in value and then you could be in a situation where you don't have the cash flow to pay them off, or you have to sell good assets to pay off bad debt.
Not at all, there are lots of positive reasons to carry debt. The tax implications alone are reasons for it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Fixed.

If selling 21 million consoles instead of 25 million is struggling, they’re doing something right!

Yep, decline is not what investors want to see, why the stock is down almost 11% over the last month. But hey, since you think that’s great, it’s a good buying opportunity on this big dip for you!

Porticus

Is Phil in the bottom left thinking how Nintendo is better off being a third party off of their own HW but just does not know it yet ;)?

😆

To be honest a CEO of a company thinking such a thing it would be a gigantic red flag, knowing NOTHING about the videogame market.

I'm still amazed how someone so clueless can still be in charge of the gaming division, no wonder is a sinking ship.

tmlDan

why are they just holding money, id prefer if they reinvest it into their games so they're higher quality.

Maybe force Gamefreak to stop making shitty pokemon games

Toyota is 5 times the size of Nintendo, Sony is also bigger than Nintendo. Is this just about who has cash on hand?

Cash reserves are not necessarily considered a good business practice since it can indicate

OwAcz9v.gif

Ronin_7

Banned

Don't bring sense here.

Also Toyota crushes Nintendo 10:1 😂

Sony is also richer.

daclynk

2) Release a system built for like 3 games and then release refreshed versions of the console with the same power and price, but different screen and still shit controllers.
3) Charge for online and access to SOME games up to, I think, the N64 that somehow can run worse than before.
4) Still treat online as if it's some weird Japanese mythological monster that will eat your 2nd baby's hair. Crazy how far behind they are.
5) Remake / Remaster games nonstop and sell them for more than they cost originally. Some with little effort.
6) Be a Nintendo fanboy and think paying was over the odds is a sign of quality and not being stupid. Have you seen how they treat their "fans" ?
7) Games rarely go on sale (not a legal thing to do, but they have to be the worse) and stop shops in big and smaller countries from buying top up vouchers and digital games so Nintendo can over charge what they want and then act like they are doing you a favour with some shit voucher scheme. Scum.
8) There's obviously more, but congrats Nintendo! A really nice friendly company.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Comedy Central GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yep, decline is not what investors want to see, why the stock is down almost 11% over the last month. But hey, since you think that’s great, it’s a good buying opportunity on this big dip for you!
Of course investors don't want to see decline, that doesn't mean it's time to pack up ship.

Elysium44 Elysium44

Shhhh..... don't you know Sony is doomed right now?! Stop trying to make any sense here!

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

I love how salty the bintendo fans react to your post 😂😂😂

Kumomeme

1) Protect your brand identity, stick to your values
2) Keep releasing bangers on your compelling platform with insanely wide appeal
3) ????
4) Profit

1) Confuse your brand identity, dont stick to your values. say whatever you want on twitter and just backtrack later

2) dont release bangers on your compelling platform. instead focus on 'insanely' wide appeal bussiness model and GFTO your platform sales.

3) ????

4)

tenor.gif

MacReady13

I wonder if someone can ask Phil Spencer next time they do a soft interview with him if he still believes that there will be no exclusives in the future! Cause I can guarantee you that Nintendo not only won’t make their exclusive games available on other platforms but they don’t NEED their exclusives on other platforms like Microsoft desperately do.

Nintendo are a beacon of light in this industry- they make games that we can actually play instead of games that we watch like movies. Maybe this is why they are making so much money.

Chastten

Banned
I mean it's to be expect with any fanboy social parasite. So bizarre when you see people defend billionaires or massive companies for exploiting them. They probably think they might get noticed and become best friends.

I would never defend Nintendo as a company, since they're just a soulless billion dollar company just like Sony and Microsoft. However, as long as they make the games I like to play, ill buy their games. Since Sony and Microsoft don't make the games I like, I don't buy their's. Simple as that.

I'm not poor and I don't care much about online gaming so none of your points matter to me personally.

But if anyone likes those things, you could always not let Nintendo 'exploit' you and grab a €200 Series S with Gamepass. The best deal in gaming for poor people.

kyussman

Damn,sounds like they would be a perfect acquisition for Microsoft....lots of great IP and could solve their Japan issues at the same time.....what is Phil waiting for.

They had to be pretty conservative as they were no giant like more diverse Sony or MS corporation are. But investing a lot more money at the wii era would have brought big dividents now. Their software line up while great in quality is abysmal in pace, especially since it requires no 4k ressources or whatever makes high end developers struggle so much. They should at least be able to release their main franchises at a steady rhytm and make one or two IPs each gen. But Splatoon seems to be their last new IP, a f-ing wii-u game, that's almost a decade old. They don't have to spend it on hookers and drugs but god damn do something with it.

Reading all these negative comments like

9NdVp11.jpg
People joking around about Sony and MS and some people just can’t take it, it’s a real mental block cause they actually believe that Sony gave live birth to a PlayStation lol.

You can see they only posts in defense, it’s fucking hilarious. I’d love to follow some of these posters for day, just to see how the interact with the world around them in real time lol keep it coming though..

Last edited:
Top Bottom