• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Labo |OT| GAF's Cardboard LABOratory

Andyliini

P1URsoI.jpg

It's time to Make, Play and Discover with Nintendo Labo!
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release date: April 20th (Japan & America), April 27 (Europe)
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: Construction

ohBrBoK.png

Nintendo Labo is a new type of product from Nintendo. The Kits come with cardboard bases you can use to build your own gadgets. You can play a tutorial, and follow along, or just go completely crazy on your own!
Have some ideas of your own and want to try them out? Then the included Toy-Con Garage is a right place for you! You can program yourself how a Joy-Con or Nintendo Switch itself reacts to a button press, a touch or a movement.
Your own imagination is the limit!

zl769Ro.png

Nintendo Labo 1: Variety Kit

89G7EdT.jpg

Includes five different projects:
  • Two Toy-Con RC Cars
  • Toy-Con Fishing Rod
  • Toy-Con House
  • Toy-Con Motorbike
  • Toy-Con Piano
Also includes Toy-Con Carage and other smaller projects

Nintendo Labo 2:

AyIwhKD.jpg

Strap in and power up
Build a backpack and visor that let you control a huge on-screen robot. Then smash buildings, fly, transform into a tank, and much more!
Also includes Toy-Con Carage.

Nintendo Labo 3:

pkg_vehicle.png

With this set, you can drive a car, fly a plane, steer a submarine and more!

K3ri5hP.png

The Verge - No grade
Labo is an experience where creating and building are just as much fun as playing. It eases you into this world: at the beginning, you’re simply folding cardboard. But just a few hours later, you’re trying to figure out how to turn a box into an interactive drum kit.

CNET - 8,3
Nintendo Labo is a fun and unique Switch add-on -- a Lego-meets-Ikea cardboard construction set that will unlock kids’ real-world creativity.

Tech Radar - No grade
While we have to admit we’re more on the Squidward end of the patience and imagination scale, we still had a great deal of fun with Nintendo Labo. It’s hard not to delight in the sheer novelty of these cardboard creations. But we know that if we’re going to keep going back to it, we’re going to need to start digging into Toy-Con Garage.

We don’t think this is a Nintendo product with unquestionably universal appeal though. It takes a particular patience and willingness to create to enjoy Nintendo Labo and even then imagination and a sense of discovery are required to take it further. We hope that for kids, however, it’ll foster these qualities because as much as it’s about play, Labo has a great deal of potential when it comes to learning.

up1TS3i.png

First Look:

Overview Trailer:

Variety Kit:

Robot Kit:

Toy-Con Garage - Part 1:

Toy-Con Garage - Part 2:

Toy-Con Garage - Part 3:

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Great, clean, nice-looking op, good job :D That said, I'm not getting Labo and I don't exactly wish it the best ;o However, following its sales will probably prove very interesting. Nintendo likely expects a lot from Labo.

iconmaster

Banned
I won't soon forget how I mocked the inclusion of the Joy-con IR port and then BLAMMO whole new product line. Nintendo shut me up good.

munster

Neo Member
I have both Labo kits pre-ordered for me and my daughter. It gives her something physically creative to do. Design and build her own contraption, to use with our Switch. Then get to see how it works, and the reasons why. Then we can get experimental with the garage section. It's just genius for the kids, and big kids.

Thanks for making ot. Admittedly im not very interested in labo so i dont follow it much, but this morning i was wondering if someone would make an ot so i can see all info on it.

ar0s

Just read the Verge review. Getting tempted to pick this up given it launches on my payday. I'm not even a creative type :rolleyes:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The Toy-Con Garage feature looks very interesting. They only show the "touch" controls and buttons in the video above, but assuming you can read and map visual movements using the joy-con IR (as the piano does internally), the possibilities are wild. I only wonder how far you can take it when the output options are much more limited than all the inputs; you can make sounds, make a joycon vibrate... what else? Toy gadgets like the Makey Makey usually have an options to send keypresses to any website via USB input, and that opens up the crucial ability to, eg., play a random emulated game using a makeshift steering wheel. I'd love to see all the options available here and evaluate what the possibilities are beyond instruments.

mrkgoo

There's an FAQ on Nintendo's site with info about size of the kits, length of time it takes to make them, repairs/durability/etc.

https://labo.nintendo.com/faq/

make_howold_01.jpg
The times are quote surprising. I assume it's a pretty conservative estimate, and this is kind of my jam so it probably won't take me that long. That said, I will be getting this and building it with my kids, so maybe it will. At any rate, i will treat the build time as part of the "play time" so it seems it's pretty good value. Can't wait to hunt it down today!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Just watched the 2nd of those Toy-Con Garage videos... wow, the capabilities of that mode are much better than I'd anticipated. The only part I couldn't quite figure out is whether it allows for creation of custom visuals on the tablet.

In this bit, they create a masking layer with a cardboard cutout and simple turn the screen white, which works for a simply display:

Jegd28.jpg

LGv0bu.jpg

But then later they seem to be working with some kind of customized colored visuals, even though we've never seen the interface to creating something like that:

mfveMJ.jpg

cryptoadam

Banned
The thing with Labo is you have to accept that the fun is going to come from interacting with the software in a different and often physical way. Its what made Wii Sports so popular. Tennis/Bowling were barebones and looked like a PS1 level game, but the actual physical interaction with the software is what made them hits.

The games are not going to be about the AAA online micro transaction experience. It's going to be about interacting with the software with something physical.

Its not a product for everyone and most would prefer to hold a control and press buttons while killing or saving the world. But for many people the shift in the interaction paradigm is going to blow them away. IMO the fishing rod emphasizes this the most. Fishing games are generally pretty boring, but add in a rod that you have to phyiscally manipulate with feedback that is audio/visual and physical in nature and it transforms the experience.

TLZ

Banned
It's just genius for the kids, and big kids.
OK. If you say so. But I think it's pretty silly. I'd rather have them do their usual almost daily crafty stuff with paper, coloring, play dough, legos and so on. Don't need cardboard plus game for that. They already have enough gaming and watching so crafting outside of gaming and any screens is important.

Last edited:

mrkgoo

OK. If you say so. But I think it's pretty silly. I'd rather have them do their usual almost daily crafty stuff with paper, coloring, play dough, legos and so on. Don't need cardboard plus game for that. They already have enough gaming and watching so crafting outside of gaming and any screens is important.

They can do both.

Today, my kid built a lego set, made some paper craft home furniture and dolls, and helped me build the RC "car" from the Lobo Variety set.

The "car" is kinda bonkers. Like it's simple, not really that effective, but my child learnt something about the connection between what was happening on the screen and the controllers (not to mention that bizarre first person infrared camera, lol). I need to play with it a bit more to see if you can actually get any decent control out of it haha.

I don't care about this game from a playing it perspective, but I do care for it immensely for it's godlike, astronomical MEME potential.

It's already starting. Ooooooh nononononono, this is going to be fucking legendary.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nintendo released all of their "plans" via PDF, even though they said they wouldn't originally.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/labo/parts/

Good if you a) want to see what you're going to be getting or b) want to make the things more than once

Andyliini

NovumAngel NovumAngel
I added the reviews you linked to the OT, thanks.
It's good to see replacement parts announced. I'm not sure whether it's a good or bad thing, but sooner or later there will be cheap replacement parts available from some third party.

ChuyMasta

I don't care about this game from a playing it perspective, but I do care for it immensely for it's godlike, astronomical MEME potential.

It's already starting. Ooooooh nononononono, this is going to be fucking legendary.

Fuck. Bill approves?

*sigh.
I'll check it out.

Picked this up today, built the piano and wow is what they have more in depth than I imagined. Acoustic mode blew my mind, once you check it out you'll understand. ;)

mrkgoo

Part way through the piano. Building it with my daughter, so it will be slowing down things a bit. Of 6 steps, we've done 3, and it has taken 2 hours so far. I suspect the rest of the steps are not as long though.

The piano is mad. I thought it would use rubber bands for the keys, but they're simply hinged by balancing on a strip of cardboard. What is good to see is that the design takes into consideration where things need extra strength or weight and will double up the card. One part that required a more stuff connection had some extra pieces that were folded and wedged in.

buizel

Banned
Any interesting videos of people making custom builds (software/cardboard side) ?

Would be interested to see what complex contraptions can be made. Love stuff like this, just not paying 300 quid for a switch and then 70 quid for that software (since you can download the cardboard blueprints for free from nintendo).

I expect some clone to come soon of this idea for PC

mrkgoo

Any interesting videos of people making custom builds (software/cardboard side) ?

Would be interested to see what complex contraptions can be made. Love stuff like this, just not paying 300 quid for a switch and then 70 quid for that software (since you can download the cardboard blueprints for free from nintendo).

I expect some clone to come soon of this idea for PC

I think it's a bit disingenuous to think of the package as $70 for "just" the software "since you can download the cardboard blueprints". There's the design, and of course the actual quality of the card - not meaning it's like premiums or anything, but it's all perforated, weighted correctly, thickness etc. For example, some of the gaps are setup such that it can wedge multiple layers in and create a certain stock thickness. Tension of certain folds create springs. Not to mention the other non-cardboard parts that are included such as the plastic holes, rope, reflective markers, sponge stickers etc. It can of course all be replicated, but that doesn't take away from the value of physical materials in the box.

Lol, I would like to see a Labo RC car soccer match.

buizel

Banned
I think it's a bit disingenuous to think of the package as $70 for "just" the software "since you can download the cardboard blueprints". There's the design, and of course the actual quality of the card - not meaning it's like premiums or anything, but it's all perforated, weighted correctly, thickness etc. For example, some of the gaps are setup such that it can wedge multiple layers in and create a certain stock thickness. Tension of certain folds create springs. Not to mention the other non-cardboard parts that are included such as the plastic holes, rope, reflective markers, sponge stickers etc. It can of course all be replicated, but that doesn't take away from the value of physical materials in the box.

Lol, I would like to see a Labo RC car soccer match.

Yeh okay I dont care if me thinking something is disingenuos or not. My point is I dont have over 300 quid to drop on this and I specifed that because people kept whinging its 70 just for the cardboard, so i said the opposite, just so people wouldnt cherry pick that specific point of my post but here we are - you chose that specific point and replied just to that, which is exactly what I was trying NOT to do with my wording.

I am just interested in seeing videos of this being used interestingly, i dont care if someone has a problem with my way of thinking or yadda yadda because that wasnt the point. This is why I dont post here, instead of actually discussing what im saying - your making a point out of the way i typed it. fml

mrkgoo

Yeh okay I dont care if me thinking something is disingenuos or not. My point is I dont have over 300 quid to drop on this and I specifed that because people kept whinging its 70 just for the cardboard, so i said the opposite, just so people wouldnt cherry pick that specific point of my post but here we are - you chose that specific point and replied just to that, which is exactly what I was trying NOT to do with my wording.

I am just interested in seeing videos of this being used interestingly, i dont care if someone has a problem with my way of thinking or yadda yadda because that wasnt the point. This is why I dont post here, instead of actually discussing what im saying - your making a point out of the way i typed it. fml

Eh, I think you misinterpreted my tone. I didn't mean to criticise you for it. Just pointing out the materials aren't valueless (nor is it the value of the entire package). The whole thing is a package and comes as it is, it's born just one aspect of its contents.

I'm not trying to just belabour the negative aspect of your post, it's just the part I thought actually warranted some me clearing up (as I implied, downloading the blueprints won't get you the other non-cardboard accessories).

So yeah, if I came across as targeting and being negative on you, sorry, that was not my intention. I was merely trying to point out the package is more than just the cardboard design (I didn't expect the house reflective tape, plastic parts for example). Just trying to "discuss what you were saying". I had no intention of tone of being critical (eh, maybe the use of "disingenuous" could have been something else).

Edit: I'll add that often certain part of posts can be focussed on in a reply, and yeah, it can be unintentional or overtly negative in presentation because that's the nature of forums. People tend not to respond to straight forward aspects and will focus on those that seem antagonising (my boring old posts often just go by lol), and is a reason why "trolling" is a thing (not saying you are). Negative side of things just draws out responses.

I appreciate that you are interested in the things people will come up with, as am I.

Last edited:

ar0s

Anyone else picked this up? I think I would have bought it had it been out on the 20th in the UK. Instead I picked up Zelda (had it on a long term loan before so picking it back up quite a way through) and Darkest Dungeon.

Nintendo should release "Labo Garage" as a very cheap eShop download, say 5 U.S. for example. Since well, "free" is out of the question, would have been the optimal initiaive to take with this part of Labo, but it's not Nintendo's style.

This would give the Switch increased functionality and another purpose at a lower price of entry. Such initiative could give the "build community" around the Switch a boost by increasing the chances to reach this demographic. It also gives the Switch an unique functionality not possible in other game consoles.

In tandem with this initiative, i think Nintendo should also keep developing "Garage" as a software platform. With 3D printers becoming increasingly accessible possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Nintendo should release "Labo Garage" as a very cheap eShop download, say 5 U.S. for example. Since well, "free" is out of the question, would have been the optimal initiaive to take with this part of Labo, but it's not Nintendo's style.

This would give the Switch increased functionality and another purpose at a lower price of entry. Such initiative could give the "build community" around the Switch a boost by increasing the chances to reach this demographic. It also gives the Switch an unique functionality not possible in other game consoles.

In tandem with this initiative, i think Nintendo should also keep developing "Garage" as a software platform. With 3D printers becoming increasingly accessible possibilities are endless.

I think the Garage really is the main point of the software, it just would be a hard sell with out the rest of the kits on its own as a concept. They had to dress it up with the pre designed elements to establish the Toy-Con idea.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
And another:

0Z2djvK.gif

With a look at the underlying creation:

r6WOkZi.gif

These are fantastic; I love the self-made quality of using lit up regions and then hand crafting a mask for the screen.

Tested impressions:

i suggest at least looking at the Robot Kit part which is the last session of the video. These guys cut their teeth with VR everyday so to hear their opinions about these experiences gives a good idea of what Nintendo is achieving with this creation.

From grown @ss Manchild:

to Tiny little Childchild:

Very interesting how they managed to make it work for different body sizes. Seen videos where both the in game model and the actual person are on view one can appreciatte how the setup is working:
  • The left Joycon in the visor not only works as a first person view toggle but also tracks the head motion in 3 axis. It also serves to navigate the menus and options.
  • The Right Joycon is tracking linear motion of the 4 markers in the backpack to control the 4 limps, while also using the motion sensor to detect the orientation of the torso in the 3 axis. It works like a rudimentary mocap solution while giving more tactile feedback that looks convincing enough.
The game also tracks a variety of postures to perform different actions:
  • kneeling/crouching triggers the vehicle transformation.
  • Both arms extended activates the propellers to fly.
  • Same side arms & leg raised triggers the Giant Robot transformation.
  • Both arms quickly thrusted forward fires a projectile attack.
  • Stomping with the same leg makes the robot kick down.
  • Raising one leg while in the air activates a drill kick.
It's also interesting how the game both uses Yaw and Roll to rotate the body and also an accumulation of both the independent head and torso's Yaw to do so. Roll is more natural to turn around but since the screen is in a fixed position it potentially can cause the user to lose view of the action. Kind of sad there's not enough resolution in the Switch's build in screen to attach it into the visor.

Which makes one wonder what if instead of using a VR type lens for mounting the Switch to the Robot Kit visor, they would have opted to use a lens setup that causes the screen to be projected at a distance yet still fixed to the heads movement. Will DPI density be less of a factor? IEEBB

buizel

Banned
Eh, I think you misinterpreted my tone. I didn't mean to criticise you for it. Just pointing out the materials aren't valueless (nor is it the value of the entire package). The whole thing is a package and comes as it is, it's born just one aspect of its contents.

I'm not trying to just belabour the negative aspect of your post, it's just the part I thought actually warranted some me clearing up (as I implied, downloading the blueprints won't get you the other non-cardboard accessories).

So yeah, if I came across as targeting and being negative on you, sorry, that was not my intention. I was merely trying to point out the package is more than just the cardboard design (I didn't expect the house reflective tape, plastic parts for example). Just trying to "discuss what you were saying". I had no intention of tone of being critical (eh, maybe the use of "disingenuous" could have been something else).

Edit: I'll add that often certain part of posts can be focussed on in a reply, and yeah, it can be unintentional or overtly negative in presentation because that's the nature of forums. People tend not to respond to straight forward aspects and will focus on those that seem antagonising (my boring old posts often just go by lol), and is a reason why "trolling" is a thing (not saying you are). Negative side of things just draws out responses.

I appreciate that you are interested in the things people will come up with, as am I.

Sorry, my fault, im just so used to the tenseness of other forums where everyone is trying to 1-up each other and talk down to each other. But yeah, everyone kept being like 'uhhh $70 for cardboard' so I went the opposite route.

Part of me is intruiged, part of me is salty because I'll never afford this, part of me is like 'PFF NINTENDO GETTING AWAY WITH SHITTT', but the biggest part of me wants to see really cool shit made with this and the application that allows custom programming. I do love shit like this, but god damn the entry is so expensive.

mrkgoo

Sorry, my fault, im just so used to the tenseness of other forums where everyone is trying to 1-up each other and talk down to each other. But yeah, everyone kept being like 'uhhh $70 for cardboard' so I went the opposite route.

Part of me is intruiged, part of me is salty because I'll never afford this, part of me is like 'PFF NINTENDO GETTING AWAY WITH SHITTT', but the biggest part of me wants to see really cool shit made with this and the application that allows custom programming. I do love shit like this, but god damn the entry is so expensive.

Does seem that way, I agree. It kind of depends on how you see "value" which is a very individual thing. I do this kind of paper craft with my kids anyway, so the hours spent on building it are fun for me, and would be included in the value assessment. I mentioned it to a colleague of mine that it took about 3 hours of folding to build the piano, and he said "tedious".

I've been taking it fairly slow. I've done 3 of the projects, and have a couple left. Haven't spent all that much time playing them though, to be honest (but to be fair, I don't spend a lot of time playing games either).

buizel

Banned
Does seem that way, I agree. It kind of depends on how you see "value" which is a very individual thing. I do this kind of paper craft with my kids anyway, so the hours spent on building it are fun for me, and would be included in the value assessment. I mentioned it to a colleague of mine that it took about 3 hours of folding to build the piano, and he said "tedious".

I've been taking it fairly slow. I've done 3 of the projects, and have a couple left. Haven't spent all that much time playing them though, to be honest (but to be fair, I don't spend a lot of time playing games either).

The piano thing looks the coolest cause I like music, definately worth it for me to DIY a makeshift 1 octave piano. I'm much more into the "practical" things like the piano then that giant robot which is just some smashing game that looks like it has 0 replay value.

mrkgoo

The piano thing looks the coolest cause I like music, definately worth it for me to DIY a makeshift 1 octave piano. I'm much more into the "practical" things like the piano then that giant robot which is just some smashing game that looks like it has 0 replay value.
The piano has two modes: 1), a toy piano with some sound effect changes; and 2), a more advanced studio mode that allows changing octaves, recording, laying down multiple tracks as well as altering the wave from and certain aspects of the sound.

I think the Garage really is the main point of the software, it just would be a hard sell with out the rest of the kits on its own as a concept. They had to dress it up with the pre designed elements to establish the Toy-Con idea.
i don't think the point been made in the previous post is been grasped, i will refer to it later but first we'll talk about a point you brought up that is worthwhile to comment on.

Talking from experience i don't think the creative tools within Labo, "Garage" specifically, is seen as the main point of the software or better put is not what is mainly driving sales "SO FAR" for multiple reasons and evidence:
  • The majority of people into gaming lack one or a combination of ingredients that are involved in the creation process: Creativity, patience, dedication and time. Creative tools in most games tend to be explored superficially or forgotten by the mayority, except for a dedicated group that stick with them. This even go for games mainly centered around creation like Minecraft or Mario Maker were the majority plays what the game brings by default or what others create.
  • In the specific case of Labo and how promint the Garage feature might be, most of the marketing centered around Toycons themselves from the begining and it was at the final stage a push was made to the Garage aspect.
  • Most of the marketing is been targetted to kids or Switch owners with kids. And kids will center more in the Toycon themsleves.
  • Related to the above look at the gaming press as an example. Garage is the less focused part of the reviews with some of them not even mentioning it. In part because most of the press is incaple of properly reviewing a product such as Labo, when they apply AAA game review logic to their appreciation process.
However, the above doesn't mean that Garage isn't the feature that potentially will solidify the Labo concept in the long run, my previous reply said as much.

With that tangent set aside i will focus in the proposed Garage strategy. About it been a "hard sell", i ask how so? Said that ideally Nintendo would include Garage with every Switch sold or at most like a very cheap (5 U.S. maybe?) eShop download. The full Labo products are in the wild doing the marketting and awarness increase of the concept, so what this initiative would do is allow any Switch user and specifically the ones into "Building" to have access to alot more functionality of the Switch hardware at a lower price of entry. Specifically a user that would like to experiment with the Switch as a "creation platform"but at the same time might not be interested in any of the Toycons.

Also said that the initiative should center on enriching the Garage programing language. i would go as far as saying it is integral to what the Switch as a device and platform actually is. Is rather funny that an user can buy a Switch and multiple high profile games yet those probably are not taking advantage of the features the console has built in. For example, one game might not use HD rumble properly or the IR camera or the NFC Reader or the Motion Sensors.

Making Garage a more integral part adds an extra degree of functionality, distinguishes the Switch even more from other platforms and this is done with marginal investments and risks for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Shifty

Which makes one wonder what if instead of using a VR type lens for mounting the Switch to the Robot Kit visor, they would have opted to use a lens setup that causes the screen to be projected at a distance yet still fixed to the heads movement. Will DPI density be less of a factor? IEEBB
The head + torso gyro averaging solution is woefully inadequate for full on screen-stuck-to-your-face head tracking. Take it from someone who's strapped various gyro-enabled pads to a baseball hat to test- the drift and jitter would be motion sickness city.

And unless FOV/peripheral vision was sacrificed, DPI would still be an issue as the screen still has the same amount of physical pixels. You'd just be applying a different image transformation to get it to fill the user's view.

The head + torso gyro averaging solution is woefully inadequate for full on screen-stuck-to-your-face head tracking. Take it from someone who's strapped various gyro-enabled pads to a baseball hat to test- the drift and jitter would be motion sickness city.

And unless FOV/peripheral vision was sacrificed, DPI would still be an issue as the screen still has the same amount of physical pixels. You'd just be applying a different image transformation to get it to fill the user's view.
That's not what im considering... well not exactly.

Obviously the resolution and specially the screen size are too low and big respectively, so i wasn't suggesting for the screen to fill the user's view.

Let me try to explain again. The Switch is mounted into the Robot Kit Visor but instead of using a lens setup that wraps the view around the user's FOV, the screen is projected as a rectangle at a distance. Basically is like watching the TV in an obscure room.

Obviously this is not so much about inmersion but about improving the control interface since now the user can interact more naturally with the game since it has a constant view of the action independent of their movements.

Now im talking strictly from experience but i do remember using personal viewers years ago before this latest VR push and they looked fine on lower resolution screens. This is why i wonder if the lens solution employed in those will mitigate the screen door effect for the Switch screen.

Excuse me if i wasn't clear enough or if i didn't get your reply faithfully.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
i don't think the point been made in the previous post is been grasped, i will refer to it later but first we'll talk about a point you brought up that is worthwhile to comment on.

Talking from experience i don't think the creative tools within Labo, "Garage" specifically, is seen as the main point of the software or better put is not what is mainly driving sales "SO FAR" for multiple reasons and evidence:
  • The majority of people into gaming lack one or a combination of ingredients that are involved in the creation process: Creativity, patience, dedication and time. Creative tools in most games tend to be explored superficially or forgotten by the mayority, except for a dedicated group that stick with them. This even go for games mainly centered around creation like Minecraft or Mario Maker were the majority plays what the game brings by default or what others create.
  • In the specific case of Labo and how promint the Garage feature might be, most of the marketing centered around Toycons themselves from the begining and it was at the final stage a push was made to the Garage aspect.
  • Most of the marketing is been targetted to kids or Switch owners with kids. And kids will center more in the Toycon themsleves.
  • Related to the above look at the gaming press as an example. Garage is the less focused part of the reviews with some of them not even mentioning it. In part because most of the press is incaple of properly reviewing a product such as Labo, when they apply AAA game review logic to their appreciation process.
However, the above doesn't mean that Garage isn't the feature that potentially will solidify the Labo concept in the long run, my previous reply said as much.

With that tangent set aside i will focus in the proposed Garage strategy. About it been a "hard sell", i ask how so? Said that ideally Nintendo would include Garage with every Switch sold or at most like a very cheap (5 U.S. maybe?) eShop download. The full Labo products are in the wild doing the marketting and awarness increase of the concept, so what this initiative would do is allow any Switch user and specifically the ones into "Building" to have access to alot more functionality of the Switch hardware at a lower price of entry. Specifically a user that would like to experiment with the Switch as a "creation platform"but at the same time might not be interested in any of the Toycons.

Also said that the initiative should center on enriching the Garage programing language. i would go as far as saying it is integral to what the Switch as a device and platform actually is. Is rather funny that an user can buy a Switch and multiple high profile games yet those probably are not taking advantage of the features the console has built in. For example, one game might not use HD rumble properly or the IR camera or the NFC Reader or the Motion Sensors.

Making Garage a more integral part adds an extra degree of functionality, distinguishes the Switch even more from other platforms and this is done with marginal investments and risks for Nintendo.

Good post, I just think that the idea of programming the joy cons wouldn't really be able to be sold without showing it with the pre built toy cons in the vareity kit/robot kit.

The garage is great and the meat of the software. People could of figured out how to make the entire variety kit on their own through the garage, but that concept doesn't transfer well to kids/gamers/in a TV add IMO.

Basically for me the pre built (or pre instructed on how to built) in the kits shows the proof of concept. If they didn't exsist most people would probably call BS on the garage and not even really believe it is possible. Nintendo needed the piano and the fishing rod etc to show to people the garage is actually possible and can actually build these things.

If they just had the garage as a download I think no one would believe that you could build a piano out of cardboard or a fishing rod and it would actually be able to work.

Top Bottom