• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to milk the hell out of HD remasters on Switch

Cerium

Switch-2.gif

Nintendo has an incredible catalogue of old games that would scale very nicely if they were to be remastered in HD, and this would be a wonderful way to fill out the early Switch lineup. Frankly I'm surprised we haven't heard more about this yet. Nintendo I want to pay you for your old games, why won't you take my money?

Imagine this shit portable.

Here are my top candidates, all of them classics:

Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Super Smash Bros. Melee HD

Xenoblade Chronicles HD

F-Zero GX HD

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nah. I've got a new piece of hardware...I'd much rather play new games than the old ones again.

That's the whole point of the Virtual Console, after all.

They should, as I think remasters are great. I don't personally care since I have a capable PC, but I'm sure a lot of other people would be excited.

I wouldn't entirely mind it, but I have to say...

I think it's kinda funny how people were bemoaning how the Switch would be nothing but a port machine at launch with all the rumors regarding Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Smash 4 at the time...and now we have people saying they should go crazy with ports and remasters, lol.

mrmickfran

I don't understand why Nintendo is taking so long on Melee HD.

They don't even need to change anything (actually, DON'T change anything). Just boost the resolution, add online and it's done.

We can finally retire CRTs in Evo.

Aren't some of those games very awkward to play in probable mode without motion control? For example skyward sword and some levels in Galaxy?

Eurogamer's Tom Philips thinks we're supposedly getting GameCube games on Switch Virtual Console.

Still not sure how some of the games will work with Switch's digital triggers though.

Hastati

#FE HD

Could even run twitter campaigns #FEHDupwithgreatgamesgoingunnoticed

I really hope they save some of Wii U's library :(

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Remasters would be cool, though I'd gladly take a Virtual Console launching day 1 with Super Monkey Ball & Excite Truck.

What are the chances of this happening?

JB2448

Given that Nintendo seems to be following certain industry trends, both positive (Nintendo Accounts, no more region lock) and negative (paid online), you might just get your wish.
As for whether or not it's positive or negative? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

They don't even need to change anything (actually, DON'T change anything). Just boost the resolution, add online and it's done.

Maybe they want you to buy the latest Smash games instead or something.

Honestly, I'd just prefer for Sakurai to get his head out of the mud and just make the next Smash a proper successor to Melee gameplay wise instead of doing a cheap port and keeping the series and its fanbases divided forever. Give Smash its Mario Odyssey, I say (and this is someone who likes Smash 4).

Speaking of which, said it once, I'll say it again...Kid Icarus Uprising HD. Make it happen.

-shadow-

Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade Chronicles HD would be amazing. But only if they outsource the projects of course. Also no mention of Eternal Darkness OP? Shame!

The value proposition is really high for me when considering the games are portable too, honestly makes Virtual Console way more exciting. I have never bought into it in a meaningful way, but N64 games (and potentially gamecube ones) sounds amazing. Recently I've been itching for Diddy Kong Racing in particular.

The games posted in OP are great starts. Would definitely revisit the Mario Galaxy games, and I never played the Metroid trilogy or Skyward Sword!

opricnik

Banned
Please no make new games,milk engines,assets but new games. Majora mask 2 with botw engine, 3D world 2 with oddsey engine etc

Fuck remasters play them on PC if you want so much. Nintendo unlike other companies makes ports mostly in house ,that should have gone for new game(manpower).

Yes please!

Nintendo HD remasters actually deserve to be made + having those great games portable makes it extra good.

Easy money and easy padding of the release schedule!

It has been ten years since Metroid Prime 3. It has been 8 years since the prequels were remastered. We need to move on. New game or let sleeping Metroids lie.

The thing is Nintendo never responds to what people actually want.

Persona7

Banned
I would prefer direct ports rather than low quality emulation Nintendo is known for. Input delay on Melee in any form would make it DOA to competitive players so I can't see Nintendo going that route.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Why would they take the time and effort to rework Melee in HD when they already have a high definition Smash game ready to go to sell you?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yes! Tantalus should be doing all of these and removing motion controls.

Fuck remasters play them on PC if you want so much. Nintendo unlike other companies makes ports mostly in house ,that should have gone for new game(manpower).

Wrong on both accounts - my PC doesn't fit on the subway and Nintendo outsources ports.

Mortemis

Banned
Yes please to all of those in the OP

Also us to bringing over the FE wii games, always wanted to get to playing those.

Ones I'd like to see in the first year:
Super Mario Maker
Smash 4
Wind Waker HD
Bayonetta 2

Others I'd like to see eventually:
Punchout
Mario Galaxy 1+2
New Super Mario Bros collection
Super Mario 3D World + 3D Land
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Top Bottom