• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PMs Wii owners to buy WiiU; "Not just an upgrade".

I like the wording they use.

21958141.jpg

Anth0ny

Didn't they just release a bunch of ads that had overly excited families playing Wii U and raving about "upgrading"?

They could send a hologram to every Wii out there, it wouldn't matter. The casual audience that swept up the first console has already moved on to ipads or gotten over the Wii all together. Their focus should be on the hardcore. This E3 will be important. I know I'd love to plunk down money for one if I see the right games. But trying to recapture the same people that were in the initial Wii Sports/Fit craze just doesn't seem likely. It was lighting in a bottle.

The_Lump

Banned
This isn't "unprecedented" at all. Pretty sure the ps4 event was advertised on ps3 at the time, which is fundamentally the same thing we're seeing here. The only unprecedented thing here is the amount of time it's taken Nintendo to realise they should do this.

AOC83

Banned
Yeah well, they're stuck with it now so they just have to move on and work around it. It's about coming up with solutions, not just pointing out the problems.

Well, the solution is pretty simple, fix the online and the OS, bring loads of high quality games, cut the price and advertise properly.
Gaming console basics.

Thus far I feel the machine has bought too little to a party it was late to. I'm talking power, image, appeal, games... pretty much across the board.

I can't see it lasting 6+ years, even if Nintendo does turn the machine into a success.
This thing will be done by the very beginning of it's 5th year at best.

Anth0ny

This isn't "unprecedented" at all. Pretty sure the ps4 event was advertised on ps3 at the time, which is fundamentally the same thing we're seeing here. The only unprecedented thing here is the amount of time it's taken Nintendo to realise they should do this.

The problem here is, unlike Ps3, no one still turns on their fucking Wiis.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Honestly, that might actually work. It gets to every online-enabled Wii owner and is just the wording Nintendo needs: "It's not an upgrade or add-on, you dolts. It's a new system."

This kind of honest wording would be a refreshing change in ads ;).

shink

Hmm I guess it's something. Although I wonder how many people are like me who own a Wii but is unplugged, hasn't been turned on for years.

They sent ps4 emails to psn users, millions got aware. Does Nintendo send out emails to their wii users?

Vexxan

Just change the name and redesign the console itself because it looks too much like the regular Wii for casual people.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
They sent ps4 emails to psn users, millions got aware. Does Nintendo send out emails to their wii users?

They send them out to Club Nintendo / Nintendo newsletter subscribers.

I have a Nintendo Newsletter in my inbox from last November, talking about the Wii U.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just change the name and redesign the console itself because it looks too much like the regular Wii for casual people.
I hope this isn't a serious suggestion.

The truth is Nintendo hasn't had to face this problem before. With their previous machines they were just dealing with Nintendo fans, who, as we all know, are some of the smartest people on the planet. Nintendo are not used to having to explain every little detail so people understand what a new console is.

nikatapi

That is why the cheaper uglier Wii Mini exists.

Well kind of strange decision given that most families already own a regular Wii which looks almost the same as the WiiU, just rectangular.

I've been thinking since the introduction of the WiiU that the problem is not the name, but the design itself. I can't understand how people at Nintendo thought this was a good design for the console, maybe they were looking too much at Apple and their evolution of design in their products.

In this case though, we're not talking about a phone, but about a gaming console.

Sendou

Makes sense? I just wonder why they haven't done this earlier. Seems like a no-brainer channel to advertise Wii U.

JoeM86

So can people explain to me why it's pathetic when Nintendo do this, but when Sony do it and Microsoft plasters their dashboard with images about the next Xbox, it's not considered pathetic?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Makes sense? I just wonder why they haven't done this earlier. Seems like a no-brainer channel to advertise Wii U.

The Wii's Nintendo Channel is filled with Wii U commercials, etc - even the Wii U Direct is there - but you have to click on it. I hadn't bothered in a while, and it was still advertising old games like Pokemon B/W2. The minute I did, though, suddenly it was advertising Luigi's Mansion 2 and Mon Hun Wii U.

Vexxan

I hope this isn't a serious suggestion.

I think there is obviously a problem if people don't realize it's a new console. Changing the name is probably a bigger deal than just making a new box design that doesn't look like the regular Wii.

FSLink

Banned
So can people explain to me why it's pathetic when Nintendo do this, but when Sony do it and Microsoft plasters their dashboard with images about the next Xbox, it's not considered pathetic?

Because Sony and Microsoft are advertising, Nintendo is advertising and trying to fix their marketing problem due to the initial bad marketing + name choice. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's pathetic though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think there is obviously a problem if people don't realize it's a new console. Changing the name is probably a bigger deal than just making a new box design that doesn't look like the regular Wii.
Changing the name would require them to withdraw all their products off the shelf so they can be rebranded. Otherwise they would face the problem of having Nintendoland for the Wii U and the Other One leaving consumers even more confused. This would cost a lot of money.

I think at its core it's a good idea.

That said, I kind of wonder how many people fit all of the following criteria:

1.) Still actively using their Wii despite Nintendo having released their last major software quite a while ago.
2.) Have their Wii connected online.
3.) Read the messages sent to them.
4.) Did not already know of the Wii U.
5.) Did not just purchase a Wii and thus would potentially be interested in a Wii U.

this is the bigger question and why I feel this effort is sort of just... well sad :(

If Sony released a message to PS3 owners six months after the PS4 goes on sale to explain to them that the PS4 is actually a new console, then that would be the same kind of thing as this, yeah.

JoeM86

If Sony released a message to PS3 owners six months after the PS4 goes on sale to explain to them that the PS4 is actually a new console, then that would be the same kind of thing as this, yeah.

You're seeing what you want to see. All this message is doing is informing users that there is a new console. This isn't saying "Yeah, the Wii U isn't a peripheral.", it's saying "Hey, there's a whole new system out made by us"

Satchel

Banned

Its not pathetic. I think its a relatively clever strategy that I'm surprised they didn't think of anyway.

I'll be shocked if the Xbox dash doesn't get plastered with tiles for the new Xbox between may 21 and launch. They did for Kinect I think.

Sony should be doing the same.

It costs Nintendo nothing to do this and is all but guaranteed to net them a few sales, so its already worth it if even 1 person buys as a result.

Top Bottom