• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PMs Wii owners to buy WiiU; "Not just an upgrade".

Aguirre

I think at its core it's a good idea.

That said, I kind of wonder how many people fit all of the following criteria:

1.) Still actively using their Wii despite Nintendo having released their last major software quite a while ago.
2.) Have their Wii connected online.
3.) Read the messages sent to them.
4.) Did not already know of the Wii U.
5.) Did not just purchase a Wii and thus would potentially be interested in a Wii U.
I have never connected my wii to internet since it launched

Effect

What's wrong with the online?

Nothing. There isn't an account system like the ones on the other systems are using. However there is an account system just one a few feel strongly against. Outside of that there is nothing wrong with the online. Period. It's misinformation at best (perhaps a person is completely out of the loop) or outright lies (which I don't doubt is happening with some people in a variety of places for whatever reason) to say there is a problem (that it's horrible, behind the times, etc) with the overall system Nintendo has presented.

buzz-and-woody-small.jpg

"Console. C-o-n-s-o-l-e."
"I think the word your searching for is "additional accessory"
"You're not an accessory! You don't plug in to the Wii, you don't work with that thing, you... are a next gen CONSOLE!"

I wonder if those that bought a Wii just to play Wii Sports (ie the soccer moms on the videos and the grandmas) have their Wii connected to the internet.

My in-laws have a wii for that same reason and I believe that is not connected online.

rjc571

Banned
I'm surprised there are people who haven't disabled the annoying blue light indicator yet. I turned that shit off the first time it woke me up in the middle of the night five years ago.

If Nintendo had a proper user account system, this could have been a "Get a free downloadable game when you buy your Wii U" offer.

Instead it just came across as sad.

Frodo

I'm surprised there are people who haven't disabled the annoying blue light indicator yet. I turned that shit off the first time it woke me up in the middle of the night five years ago.

It looks awesome. I would have mine always on if possible. And if I still had my Wii, that is... :(

Lame LEDless Wii U...

Well, that's one way to advertise the Wii U, but it isn't helping things when they haven't aired a commercial to my knowledge in approximately 5 months.

boyshine

In my country there's always been a lot of confusion between the words for console and controller (konsoll/kontroll). People are coming into stores asking for a "Wii console" or a "PS3 console" but really asking for a controller.

So imagine a person who believes that this:
A101P_SP290_12_PU2QX

is a console, and then Nintendo tells him that this:
wiiureviewheader.jpg

is a brand new console.

Yeah.

That's why it's a huge mistake to use the word "console" at all in international marketing. They need to use "game system" or something like that.

Frodo

"Sad, pathetic..."

I don't see why free advertising helping to promote their new console is bad.

It is better than doing nothing.

Brickhunt

I'm afraid Nintendo is too worried in dispelling the confusion between the Wii and Wii U that they are potentially forgetting another important question: Do costumers really care about the Wii U?

I do think the confusion between Wii U as a console or controller can potentially distract Nintendo from the real problem, that is convincing people the Wii U is a worthy purchase, I feel that, up until now, they are failing for obvious reasons.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't see it as bad.

What better way then to put it in someone's face(especially if you are a Wii Owner) if they really thought that Wii U was an add-on accessory, though I can't comprehend how anyone could come to that conclusion, but it happened nonetheless.

And this is probably the first step and taking a "first step" is a good thing rather then taking no step at all.

Although a possible connotation is that while the Wii was targeted at "everyone", people may see the Wii U as targeting a "single individual".

Prine

Banned
Seems desperate, this is the same for any major player (Sony or MS). Comes off as begging. If they sent this prior to launch or if it wasn't bombing it'd be different.

Consumer-target ads via PM.

This will be a thing next gen, I bet.

Also:

Upgraded name
Upgraded design

= Upgraded system

New name
New design

=New System

They should have thought about this.

Better than nothing. Hopefully this is just the small start of some new great ad campaign, not a eureka all in one solution at Nintendo.

Consumer-target ads via PM.

This will be a thing next gen, I bet.

Spam has been around since people first devised a primitive message delivery system eons ago.

Better than nothing. Hopefully this is just the small start of some new great ad campaign, not a eureka all in one solution at Nintendo.

I doubt it. Nintendo in their investor meeting said that they will not be spending that much more money on advertising than they did last year. Considering they had an advertising budget just to market the Wii U name and failed miserable last year, don't expect much.

Effect

I do at least hope Iwata and company regrets naming the system Wii U. This was a problem that did not need to exist. Even if they wanted to use the Wii name again this problem didn't need to exist by putting a damn 2 in the name instead of the stupid U or at least having the Ultra or something.

I do hope the low sales has scared Iwata enough to do what needs to be done. The Wii messaging system should have used like this through the entire life of the Wii. Spotpass on the Wii U and 3DS should be used like this more regardless if people find it annoying or invasive. Do what needs to be done. If that also means re-releasing Wii games uprezzed so there are things to buy then so be it. There are a ton of games that deserve a second life that could likely be done on the cheap.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also:

Upgraded name
Upgraded design

= Upgraded system

New name
New design

=New System

They should have thought about this.
From what we've seen so far the PS4 has an upgraded name and an upgraded controller. So I guess it's an upgraded system whatever that means.

TriGen

As someone that uses mlb.tv I can say that they are advertising like crazy to baseball fans. Between innings I see those families being driven to Nintendo. All the time.

Top Bottom