• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PMs Wii owners to buy WiiU; "Not just an upgrade".

tsab

bBVVzeT.jpg

http://kotaku.com/wii-owners-nintendo-really-wants-you-to-buy-a-wii-u-o-486178764

Iwata:"Please understand that's a new system"

hokahey

Seems desperate, this is the same for any major player (Sony or MS). Comes off as begging. If they sent this prior to launch or if it wasn't bombing it'd be different.

What an amazing failure at logic. Really interesting how peoples brains work.

Wait... Those focus test crap thing a TV ad?! Holy hell, I thought they're online only.

Well it's a start. I wonder how effective those ads actually are? They're much better than the neon dubstep box ads as they actually show some of the consoles differences. I can't help but think Nintendo need some more core based advertising right now though. The new Wii U cod should have its own advert, showing that there's no splitscreen etc - that would shift a lot of copies of COD on the Wii U.

TriGen

Wait... Those focus test crap thing a TV ad?! Holy hell, I thought they're online only.

Yeah. They cycle through them througout the game. I was really surprised the first time I saw them used. I don't think one commercial break goes by without at least two of them playing.

I was about to type a paragraph about how I couldn’t see how people could confuse the Wii U for an upgrade to the original Wii. I mean do people have that much confidence in their ability to guess without investigation? I know that if I don’t know what something is I investigate moving from I don’t know what this is to I definitively know what this is. Going from I don’t what this is to oh yeah that? That’s probably such and such and leaving at that is in a word irresponsible.

I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s a greater chance that they just don’t care. If they cared they would investigate. The idea that Wii U is just an upgrade to the original Wii is a copout. Unfortunately Nintendo and third parties have not given people a reason to care.

For me, a big Nintendo fan and I’m sure several others like me there just isn’t a reason to buy a Wii U right now. I’m so much of a Nintendo fan that I would buy it for no reason, just to have it today if money weren’t as tight as it is, if it wouldn’t be irresponsible to do so. It’s guaranteed that I’ll purchase it eventually. I’m a guaranteed sale and I’m sure there are many others but more games need to come first. I see consoles through the exclusives lens. Exclusives are all that matter to me as of late and when I look at the Wii U I only see 5 games mostly B tier to almost A tier at best.

New Super Mario Bros. U (I’ll get it play it and enjoy it when I get a Wii U but, as of right now to me who does haven’t a Wii U, it just another Mario sidescroller)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (I’ll get this as well. Getting on Tri for one last Jhen Mohran hunt before the severs went down brought back that feeling)

NintendoLand

Lego City Undercover

ZombiU

And it’s not as if I don’t have a hundred million other things to play. I pretty much drowning now. I may never recover.

One S tier game (like a Super Mario 64) would go a long way in speeding up my guaranteed purchase of the Wii U. Right now that three hundred and something dollars is a student loan payment rather than a Wii U

If people are still using a Wii connected to the internet, a private message like this makes sense. "If you got A, you should consider upgrading to B." I don't see the big deal about it.

Chronos24

This is actually a good idea. Almost free advertising really. If you realize you pretty much screwed up with initial advertising why not use this route to their advantage? I'll bet Xbox and ps3 do it too just watch. The install base is too large to pass up

Angry Fork

Not a fan of Nintendo but can't really hate on this or see how it's pathetic. I don't see why Sony or Microsoft can't send messages out to people advertising their next console either, it's a pretty good idea that they should do now while people are still using these consoles.

The only sad thing about Nintendo's message is the admittance that the Wii U name may have confused some people into thinking it wasn't a completely different console. But Wii U's problems go well beyond just it's name.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I bet the person who decided to put a U in front of Wii thought they were a marketing genius. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Iwata himself, it seems like an Iwata-esque move.

Banned
Upgrade that tv bro
First post wins.

Also, this is just sad. As a graduate of marketing, this wii u campaign is just sad. Hell, you don't even need to be a marketing student to see how poorly Nintendo is promoting this console. It's a shame too, since I've owned it since day 1 and i do enjoy using it.

JoeM86

Pretty pathetic lol. If they didn't fuck up and gave it a non-shitty name in the first place, this wouldn't have been necessary.

They'd do this anyway even if the Wii U was called let's say Stream and it was selling 1m units a month. Many of the Wii's services are about to end and logic dictates that they inform stragglers about the newest console.

Microsoft and Sony do the same. Hell, Microsoft was telling people to buy a second 360 not long ago.

Nothing wrong with relatively free advertising that will likely garner you a few sales from people that have shown prior interest in your products.

Effect

Serious what if question.

What if Nintendo started calling the Wii U the Nintendo Wii Ultra. Started to alter all labeling going forward so it says Ultra instead of the just the U. Controller, box art, etc. This way it's clear from the name Ultra they are talking about something more then just the simple Wii. Of course they have to keep showing the console itself and saying it's a new system.

Could they pull off the name change? Could it be done? It being a good or bad idea isn't even part of the question. Could it be done to kill any further confusion with the mainstream public? Would the system sound more enticing from the name alone?

It's hypothetical of course but I think the time to do it would be E3 and that would make it a true relaunch of the system.

Meelow

Banned
Serious what if question.

What if Nintendo started calling the Wii U the Nintendo Wii Ultra. Started to alter all labeling going forward so it says Ultra instead of the just the U. Controller, box art, etc. This way it's clear from the name Ultra they are talking about something more then just the simple Wii. Of course they have to keep showing the console itself and saying it's a new system.

Could they pull off the name change? Could it be done? It being a good or bad idea isn't even part of the question. Could it be done to kill any further confusion with the mainstream public? Would the system sound more enticing from the name alone?

It's hypothetical of course but I think the time to do it would be E3 and that would make it a true relaunch of the system.

It's possible, they can always do a system update to change the start for the Wii U as well, but I don't think Nintendo would be willing to do that.

Especially since the Nintendo 64 name was supposed to be "Nintendo Ultra 64' but they lost "Ultra" so they were forced to name it Nintendo 64, so I don't know if they would be allowed to have Ultra in their title name.

Mr E.

Sure it's desperate. Just a sign of the times really. Sony are paying people to sell Vita's for em too.

Economy is fucked.

Alternative didn't send the right message

FE6Jr2H.gif

Lol.

Nintendo is getting desperate it seems but any company would when the sucessor is selling like that with no games coming till June and the competitors releasing two consoles with next gen graphics and third parties on board.

This really asks the question on how many people still play the Wii these days.

Ricker

So this is why my Wii's drive was flashing blue this morning...I was wondering what was going on,thought it was the whole WiiConnect24 thing that was taken down or something...

Agent X

Gold Member
I don't understand why people are labeling this "desperate" or "pathetic". It's actually a pretty effective way for the hardware manufacturer to communicate with their users.

On my PS3, I'll occasionally receive messages through PSN announcing a sale or special offer. I never thought of that as being "desperate" or "pathetic". I think it's a great idea, as long as the messages are short, focused, and not sent out so frequently as to become annoying.

I must admit that I was surprised seeing that blue light in the drive slot glow for the first time in many months. It's certainly an attention getter.

I'm just surprised that Nintendo didn't consider doing this earlier, around the time the Wii U was first released.

How did they send this message to Wii mini owners?!?

Telepathically.

Top Bottom