• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Mario Kart Wii info!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Lobster said:
Wow was I wrong.:lol

Hmm..just thinking of the gripes I would have with a game like this on Wii is that it doesn't feel like a console game.
Or High Voltage just made a bland product like most realistic people expected in the first place.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
DeadyFernGarden said:
If Mario Kart Wii has animals to ride as rumoured then there could be real snaking.

Please ban. Thanks.

GDGF

Soothsayer
When you guys talk about snaking, are you talking about like in Mario Kart 64 where you flick the stick to the left and right making your exhaust go from white to yellow to red and then releasing for a speed boost? I was never clear.

Snaking is an honest-to-god technique that requires much practice. I don't see what all the bitching is about. You can still beat people who snake. It helps to learn the method yourself because it comes in handy on some areas where it can give you an advantage.

dfi

I'm totally looking forward to mario kart wii. Mario Kart ds was/is my favorite ds game.

Plus the motion controls and stunts look fun. I'm betting nintendo can make the motion controls even better than excite truck, which is one of the best arcade racers I've ever played.

Slavik81

GDGF said:
When you guys talk about snaking, are you talking about like in Mario Kart 64 where you flick the stick to the left and right making your exhaust go from white to yellow to red and then releasing for a speed boost? I was never clear.
Imagine doing that at all times... Even when going straight. That's snaking.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Apollo Justice: Ace attorney
- First game in the series made only for the DS
- Much of the gameplay from the other games return
- Phoenix Wright appears in the game, has somewhat of a big role
- Takes place seven years after Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
- Ema Skye back as a detective
- Winston Payne, Judge also return
- Perceive System allows you to zoom in on witness, examine their actions - Then yell “Gotcha” into the DS mic, helps you win the case
- Psyche-Locks, presenting profiles as evidence are gone
- Comes out in February

Holy shit, I have to preorder the game.

evilromero said:
Snaking is an honest-to-god technique that requires much practice. I don't see what all the bitching is about. You can still beat people who snake. It helps to learn the method yourself because it comes in handy on some areas where it can give you an advantage.

I only see people who can snake as folks who prey on others who can't perform it so that they can dominate the races. This kills the online modes for Mario Kart DS for the vast majority of people who can't do it. You can much better demonstrate your kart skills by racing without it and still win the races. If Nintendo decides to keep it, I hope they create 2 online modes to separate those racers who can do it and disable it on a mode for those who can't.

Jenga

Banned
evilromero said:
That's fine and dandy but the big problem is that snaking puts a CLEAR advantage for snakers over regular racers. And if Nintendo wants Mario Kart Wii to have legs and appeal to casuals online, they'll find a way to remove it.

RiZ III

lujeimta.jpg

wow am I seeing blue pubes? ::fap fap::

evilromero said:
I can (or could - sold it a while back) do it but honestly snaking always felt like a chore to me - absolutely takes away the fun aspect of MK. Of course you can race with your friends and agree on not snaking - I don't have friends who own a DS though.

I don't understand how could they DISABLE snaking without disabling power sliding?! The ONLY solution would be to put in a slight delay after each slide so you couldn't do it again, but I see that confusing some people and it would mess up going around really large turns (or require you to drift the entire turn). Please, anyone, suggest some way to combat snaking or stop with this "turn off" stuff like it's that simple

MoxManiac

Is there any word how many players can play simulatenously online? I hope it's more than 4.

EDIT: Man, I'm dumb, I should have read the article. Up to 12? Nice.

Zoramon089 said:
I don't understand how could they DISABLE snaking without disabling power sliding?! The ONLY solution would be to put in a slight delay after each slide so you couldn't do it again, but I see that confusing some people and it would mess up going around really large turns (or require you to drift the entire turn). Please, anyone, suggest some way to combat snaking or stop with this "turn off" stuff like it's that simple

That's easy. Just say it's... heat. Too much powersliding makes your tires hot, and if you powerslide too much (say, more than four times every X seconds or maybe put a time limit on how long you can be in the "powersliding" state - you know, to simulate heat building up) your car simply stops working for a while. If you don't powerslide a lot, your "tires stay cool" and you can race normally.

Hell, they could even do a "tire blown!" animation where the wheels go flat and the car skids wildly out of control before stopping. Lakitu comes down and resets the racer back with the rest of the pack.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
snaking, no snaking, whatever--as long as the balloon battle is balanced and rocks, it shall be mine. oh yes. it shall be mine.

Sega1991 said:
That's easy. Just say it's... heat. Too much powersliding makes your tires hot, and if you powerslide too much (say, more than four times every X seconds or maybe put a time limit on how long you can be in the "powersliding" state - you know, to simulate heat building up) your car simply stops working for a while. If you don't powerslide a lot, your "tires stay cool" and you can race normally.

Hell, they could even do a "tire blown!" animation where the wheels go flat and the car skids wildly out of control before stopping. Lakitu comes down and resets the racer back with the rest of the pack.
I like this idea. A lot.

ElFly

AndoCalrissian said:
Super Mario Kart didn't have power-sliding that I recall, just hopping.

You hopped, then turned = power sliding.

And I thought the problem was the miniturbos, not the power sliding itself.

Zoramon089 said:
Why would you have to disable powersliding? Just disable the burst, that's all. SMK for SNES worked perfectly fine with powersliding and no snaking/power burst.

AndoCalrissian said:
You can slide all over the place.

edit:
Beaten by ElFly

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Zoramon089 said:
Well, given that you can't snake with all cars/drivers in Mario Kart due to inertia rules, I'd imagine it be a matter of ensuring that the cars can't be used to infinitely power slide through grass and such.

You couldn't do it in any other version of Mario Kart, so I don't see how it would be a problem to remove it.

kizmah

Sega1991 said:

Please Nintendo, read this post. I love this idea.

Milpool

Phife Dawg said:
Why would you have to disable powersliding? Just disable the burst, that's all. SMK for SNES worked perfectly fine with powersliding and no snaking/power burst.

AndoCalrissian said:

You can slide all over the place.

There was a "burst" in SMK, you just had to power slide for quite a long time. I think a good fix would be to section the tracks into invisible zones, corners being the only place you can get a power slide boost.

Milpool said:
There was a "burst" in SMK, you just had to power slide for quite a long time. I think a good fix would be to section the tracks into invisible zones, corners being the only place you can get a power slide boost.
Man, I can't remember. Time for Nintendo to put it on VC to refresh my memories.

Anyways I would just leave it out, the invisible zones idea sounds interesting but I don't think it'd be feasable, there would be ways to exploit it.

loosus

Banned
Any word on how they plan to ruin this game yet? Rubberband AI again? Blue shells?

Maybe the tricks will be automatic after you get them started! That would fit in this game. Maybe that'll be the ruiner, assuming they don't include others.

Top Bottom