• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power: NoA a step ahead again; NPC Pikmin 2 to reach the US in June already

boiled goose

good with gravy
how about disaster DoC, another code R, and the last window hmm?

They are already in English and you clearly dont give a fuck about localization. see Xenoblade.

Anth0ny

LOL

It's like "Boy, we should probably release something. Oh, look what I found in the dumpster!"

LOL pretty much.

But just like that 2012 is one of the better years in Wii history in North America:

Rhythm Heaven
Xenoblade
Last Story
Pikmin 2 NPC
Pandora's Tower?

Holy shit.

Bullza2o

Maybe they want everyone to play NPC Pikmin 2 during the summer, so they won't miss out on the story when Pikmin 3 comes out later in the year.

entremet

Didn't NOA say they were withholding some titles so they would have something during the twilight years of the Wii. I swear Reggie said something like this.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Well, hooray for cheap stealth-Pikmin 3 awareness promotion, then.

(Not complaining, though; better late than never)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This makes sense as it means every game in the trilogy will be compatible with the Wii U...
I'm expecting a HD Trilogy box set too.

TheNatural

My Member!
All those people freaking out last year at Xenosaga and all that crap. Like I said at the time, look at the end of the life for the Gameucbe. They basically scraped the bottom of the barrel for game releases because they have to release -SOMETHING. I figured they would do the same with the Wii.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All those people freaking out last year at Xenosaga and all that crap. Like I said at the time, look at the end of the life for the Gameucbe. They basically scraped the bottom of the barrel for game releases because they have to release -SOMETHING. I figured they would do the same with the Wii.

Maybe... but games will slip through the cracks... The day of their release may never come. I remember faithful fans waiting patiently for master to dole out Mother 3, too :p

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

They did? I think the GC got pretty sparse by '06 without any going back to the well. (Though I wish they did, then maybe we'd have Giftpia.) Unless you think Fire Emblem is "scraping the bottom of the barrel", in which case shame on you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
All those people freaking out last year at Xenosaga and all that crap.

Xenoblade.

Like I said at the time, look at the end of the life for the Gameucbe. They basically scraped the bottom of the barrel for game releases because they have to release -SOMETHING. I figured they would do the same with the Wii.

This does not accurately represent what Nintendo of America did with the GameCube.

Here's what they released in 2006

12/11/06 The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess* (released first in NA)
09/25/06 Baten Kaitos Origins™ (released 7 months after JPN)
04/10/06 Odama™ (released in NA before JPN)
02/06/06 Chibi-Robo™ (released 9 months after JPN)

Here's what they released in 2005

12/05/05 Super Mario® Strikers (released in NA before Japan)
11/07/05 Mario Party® 7 (released first in NA)
10/24/05 Dance Dance Revolution®: Mario Mix (released 4 months after JPN)
10/17/05 Fire Emblem™: Path of Radiance (released 6 months after JPN)
10/03/05 Pokémon® XD: Gale of Darkness (released 2 months after JPN)
09/19/05 Battalion Wars™ (released first in NA)
08/29/05 Mario Superstar Baseball™ (released 1 month after JPN)
08/15/05 Geist™ (released first in NA)
05/09/05 Donkey Konga™ 2* (Kind of weird localization-wise, but nominally came out 11 months after JPN release)
03/14/05 Donkey Kong® Jungle Beat (released 3 months after JPN)

So, Nintendo of America DID NOT "scrape the bottom of the barrel", they simply continued their existing leisurely localization rate. Nothing they localized in the last two years was pulled from the archives or anything like this. Unlocalized GameCube-era stuff did not come over--note how Giftpia, Doshin the Giant, Kururin, Nintendo Puzzle Collection all stayed unlocalized). There's absolutely nothing about NoA's GameCube behaviour that suggests a particular thing about their Wii behaviour, or compares to the late-localizations of Xenoblade and/or Pikmin 2.

The only localization story that's remotely surprising from the NoA/Gamecube era was Atlus' deal to bring over Cubivore.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Oh.

What.

I bought the first and didn't play much of it. I donno, couldn't get into the series. Don't know if I'll get this, I've heard 2 is better than 1.

Poyunch

Nice. it's about time I gave this series a try.

From what I've seen, however, Pikmin 2 looks like the bigger, better, and longer game overall.

I've only played Pikmin 2 (yeah I haven't even touched my NPC Pikmin 1 copy yet, lol) but from what I've heard, Pikmin 1 is more of a puzzle game with RTS elements, while Pikmin 2 is more straight up RTS.

TheNatural

My Member!
Xenoblade.

This does not accurately represent what Nintendo of America did with the GameCube.

Here's what they released in 2006

12/11/06 The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess* (released first in NA)
09/25/06 Baten Kaitos Origins™ (released 7 months after JPN)
04/10/06 Odama™ (released in NA before JPN)
02/06/06 Chibi-Robo™ (released 9 months after JPN)

Here's what they released in 2005

12/05/05 Super Mario® Strikers (released in NA before Japan)
11/07/05 Mario Party® 7 (released first in NA)
10/24/05 Dance Dance Revolution®: Mario Mix (released 4 months after JPN)
10/17/05 Fire Emblem™: Path of Radiance (released 6 months after JPN)
10/03/05 Pokémon® XD: Gale of Darkness (released 2 months after JPN)
09/19/05 Battalion Wars™ (released first in NA)
08/29/05 Mario Superstar Baseball™ (released 1 month after JPN)
08/15/05 Geist™ (released first in NA)
05/09/05 Donkey Konga™ 2* (Kind of weird localization-wise, but nominally came out 11 months after JPN release)
03/14/05 Donkey Kong® Jungle Beat (released 3 months after JPN)

So, Nintendo of America DID NOT "scrape the bottom of the barrel", they simply continued their existing leisurely localization rate. Nothing they localized in the last two years was pulled from the archives or anything like this. Unlocalized GameCube-era stuff did not come over--note how Giftpia, Doshin the Giant, Kururin, Nintendo Puzzle Collection all stayed unlocalized). There's absolutely nothing about NoA's GameCube behaviour that suggests a particular thing about their Wii behaviour, or compares to the late-localizations of Xenoblade and/or Pikmin 2.

The only localization story that's remotely surprising from the NoA/Gamecube era was Atlus' deal to bring over Cubivore.

In late 2005-06 the Gamecube was all but dead. Instead of releasing absolutely nothing, they released something, including several very niche games that were Japan oriented.

Did people expect Nintendo just to not release anything this year? Or develop games ground up for a dead system? I think it was pretty obvious the direction they were going to go. Even by your own list, from Fall 2005 on they released 4 games 4 months or later after Japan releases.

So maybe they didn't have the long delay with Wii, but that's not the point. The point is they were obviously going to release SOMETHING. They weren't just going to say "oh well Wii dead, nothings coming out, bye." Gamecube was more "dead" and they released games for it.

They weren't going to create anything ground up and they weren't going to not release anything period, so this was the most logical conclusion.

It's probably gonna be released in limited quantities. They're basically making hardcores pay for Pikmin 3's advertisement at this point.

I'm Nintendo's bitch once again. If they were nice they'd make it a pre-order bonus with Pikmin 3 :p

ASIS

LOL pretty much.

But just like that 2012 is one of the better years in Wii history in North America:

Rhythm Heaven
Xenoblade
Last Story
Pikmin 2 NPC
Pandora's Tower?

Holy shit.

If they just added Fatal Frame 2 and moved that line up to 2011 then the Wii would have had a great year.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I'd completely given up hope that they would ever release NPC Pikmin 2 in NA, but Nintendo delivers! (3 fucking years later :/)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I like the concept, but Ghost Trick has the same concept, so... play Ghost Trick?

Haha I'm kind of in the middle of it right now (slowly going through Ace Attorney Investigations and it) but I still think the idea has a TON of potential in a FPS/Adventure-like game similar to what Geist tried to be.

Hero

I'm assuming June because they're announcing Pikmin 3 at E3 in early June.

Maybe that was the plan all along. They knew Pikmin 3 was coming, so they were waiting to make the announcement so they could put out NPC Pikmin 2 shortly thereafter to ride off of the hype. But then Pikmin 3 kept changing and eventually got pushed to Wii U, and now here we are.

I was thinking this exactly as I read the OP. Stealth hype release for Pikmin 3 Wii U launch title.

At any rate, I'm glad I'll be able to get this finally. I loved Pikmin 2 so much but for whatever reason I sold it last generation and then it got rare.

Haha I'm kind of in the middle of it right now (slowly going through Ace Attorney Investigations and it) but I still think the idea has a TON of potential in a FPS/Adventure-like game similar to what Geist tried to be.

OK, so long as you're playing Ghost Trick! And yes, agreed, it's a great idea. For one, GT doesn't really allow for freeform possession, given the time limits, 2D interface and strictly controlled scenarios, so I'd like to see another game take a crack at large-scale possession. Not sure if I'd want another Geist, though...

Yeah I've been waiting for this ever since Iwata said they were going to start localizing titles to fill up the barren DS line-up after the 3DS released. But I've pretty much given up hope on that, and finally will be importing this Summer.

Can't believe I actually waited THIS long lol.

Import it! I did, and it's as good if not better than Hotel Dusk.

I just hope we see another game with my favorite jerk with a heart, Kyle Hyde!

I'm assuming June because they're announcing Pikmin 3 at E3 in early June.

Maybe that was the plan all along. They knew Pikmin 3 was coming, so they were waiting to make the announcement so they could put out NPC Pikmin 2 shortly thereafter to ride off of the hype. But then Pikmin 3 kept changing and eventually got pushed to Wii U, and now here we are.

That makes alot of sense.

I'll probably end up getting this even though I own the gamecube version. Assuming a $30 price tag.

stuminus3

Hooray! NPC Pikmin 1 is fantastic so I'm looking forward to this. I just couldn't go back to the GC Pikmin 2 after NPC Pikmin 1.

I always had a theory that they were holding it back in the event Pikmin 3 was going to be a Wii game (which it was until... E3 last year maybe?). There was no other reason for NoA to ignore it IMO.

Vidiot

I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan who has never played either Pikmin game because I assume it's like an RTS and I'm not a fan of those types of games. Should I bother hunting down NPC Pikmin? Was I wrong with my assumption?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
NoA finally doing something? Saw they registered fireemblemawakening.com as well.

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.

Nintendo knows they can't get as lazy with their localisations as they did with the Wii and DS. A constant stream of quality software is required, they can't risk leaving 3rd parties to fill the gaps.

Top Bottom