• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Teaser: "A cover story for the generaions." [Update: Mirror Of Fate]

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Couldn't this just be the reveal of the Wii version of Black Ops 2? The timing would even match up with the official reveal of BO2.

Neiteio

Skimming this thread, Fire Emblem, TWEWY, 007 Generations, Black Ops 2 -- all shit suggestions.

Fire Emblem: How would this EVER be a "cover story for the generations," as much as we'd like it to come over here?

TWEWY: Great news for a small group of people, irrelevant to everyone else.

007 Generations: Who even cares about James Bond games anymore? This isn't the N64 era. I'm sure the games still have their fans but nowhere to justify this sort of marketing speak.

Black Ops: Sells wildly, but would this year's token CoD be enough to be remembered for generations?

Honestly, I hope it's Retro's new game... which may be a FPS as rumored, and set in Russia for all we know. Nintendo's bid for the hardcore crowd, perhaps. But yeah, who knows.

Neiteio

When does this teased issue hit newsstands exactly?

I'm really hoping it's Retro Studios' new game. They're packed full of talent, make nothing but triple-A games for Nintendo, and they have been secretly toiling away on some game with devs who worked on Uncharted 3, Darksiders and more for awhile now. DKCR went gold in late 2010; chances are they haven't been twiddling their thumbs since then. I'm so eager to see what they're doing and if it's some knock-your-socks-off new IP for WiiU.

FoneBone

Skimming this thread, Fire Emblem, TWEWY, 007 Generations, Black Ops 2 -- all shit suggestions.

Fire Emblem: How would this EVER be a "cover story for the generations," as much as we'd like it to come over here?

TWEWY: Great news for a small group of people, irrelevant to everyone else.

007 Generations: Who even cares about James Bond games anymore? This isn't the N64 era. I'm sure the games still have their fans but nowhere to justify this sort of marketing speak.

Black Ops: Sells wildly, but would this year's token CoD be enough to be remembered for generations?

Honestly, I hope it's Retro's new game... which may be a FPS as rumored, and set in Russia for all we know. Nintendo's bid for the hardcore crowd, perhaps. But yeah, who knows.

You seem to be under the impression that Nintendo Power breaks huge exclusives. They never do.

(My vote's on the 007 game - for 3DS, I guess.)

I'm really hoping it's Retro Studios' new game. They're packed full of talent, make nothing but triple-A games for Nintendo, and they have been secretly toiling away on some game with devs who worked on Uncharted 3, Darksiders and more for awhile now. DKCR went gold in late 2010; chances are they haven't been twiddling their thumbs since then. I'm so eager to see what they're doing and if it's some knock-your-socks-off new IP for WiiU.
Nintendo Power doesn't get shit in terms of first-party exclusive stories. Zero chance of that being announced in there (and very little chance of anything before E3).

Neiteio

You seem to be under the impression that Nintendo Power breaks huge exclusives. They never do.
They're not going to bandy about that kind of hyperbole, though. It's not altogether impossible that Nintendo might for whatever reason show one of their cards before E3, and with Nintendo Power, at least, they'd have a degree of editorial control to shape how it's revealed. I'm sure the magazine is also savvy enough to be aware of this perception they don't break news, and maybe this will change that.

(My vote's on the 007 game - for 3DS, I guess.)

Nintendo Power doesn't get shit in terms of first-party exclusive stories. Zero chance of that being announced in there (and very little chance of anything before E3).
The 007 game? Really? They're not so incredibly out of touch that they would even begin to use "cover story for the generations" to hype a frickin' 007 game.

Instro

They're not going to bandy about that kind of hyperbole, though. It's not altogether impossible that Nintendo might for whatever reason show one of their cards before E3, and with Nintendo Power, at least, they'd have a degree of editorial control to shape how it's revealed. I'm sure the magazine is also savvy enough to be aware of this perception they don't break news, and maybe this will change that.

Um they certainly have before when teasing stuff. Not to say that it couldn't be something more interesting, as they have managed some decent exclusive reveals in the past, but it will definitely not be anything 1st party.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, it's obviously the USSR, even if the 'comrade' didn't give it away.

My money is on Bond, because I think Nintendo likes Bond being associated with their platforms, and after GoldenEye I figure they have a good relationship with Activision when it comes to this franchise.

Maybe Metro, but I don't know if that is the kind of cover story Nintendo Power would push, and I figure that will be an E3 thing.

If not those two, then nothing of value.

radcliff

The issue with the tease (the May issue) should hit subscribers this week and stores about a week after. The issue with the actual reveal (the June issue) won't reach subscribers until the end of May, with it hitting newstands about a week after subscribers get their issue. You aren't getting the reveal any time soon.

Soroc

I think it may be Assassins Creed related. Its the biggest 3rd party game known to be coming to WiiU. There have been rumors about the series coming to 3DS. So I think Nintendo Power may have the first actual exclusive information on the WiiU version. Maybe with some actual screens as well. Or it could just be a 3DS game.

But talking about revelations, generations and comrades seems to me to tip towards AssCreed series.

Kunan

The 007 game? Really? They're not so incredibly out of touch that they would even begin to use "cover story for the generations" to hype a frickin' 007 game.
The use of the word generations could just be a pun, ala the generations of Bond. Best to think that than to believe it means of the console generations, which is just setting yourself up for dissapointment.

Neiteio

Hype. Let me tell you how much I've come to hype since I read this teaser. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hype' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hype I feel for this teaser at this micro-instant. For this teaser. Hype. Hype.

Meier

The image keeps reminding me of Mad World personally.. isn't that the one with the dude with the chainsaw? I know nothing about that would fit with earth-shattering, but that's what keeps jumping out at me visually.

Neiteio

First image that came to mind was actually the meteor in the logo to Final Fantasy VII, and I don't even care about Final Fantasy.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Hype. Let me tell you how much I've come to hype since I read this teaser. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hype' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hype I feel for this teaser at this micro-instant. For this teaser. Hype. Hype.

oh yeah? well my hype can fill nine solar systems!

grandjedi6

You seem to have overhyped Nintendo Power. The answers to their teases are always the most obvious and simple. Previous teases just ended up being for things like Sonic Colors, Sonic and the Black Knight, Tales of Symphonia 2 localization, Super Scribblenauts, and Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. People always overhype these teases but they are never anything crazy. Nintendo Power teases a top-secret story fit for a king involving swords and everyone jumps to Kingdom Hearts 3, but its actually just Sonic and the Black Knight. Nintendo Power has used this type of hyperbole and language before (or even worse) and its never been anything shocking. Nor has it ever been anything from Nintendo themselves.

grandjedi6

I'm altering my guess to the 3DS version of either Black Ops 2 or 007: Legends. That way they actually have something to reveal since the handheld versions aren't going to be announced/shown with the upcoming console reveals.*

*I guess 007: Legends Wii is possible too but I'm unsure if they're even making that.

TriGen

So this has to be for the Wii U, right? Lifting the veil a little bit before E3 to build hype seems like a good idea.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
But I believe some "insider sources" said that Legends isn't coming to Wii U. Skyfall is. Maybe even as an exclusive?

Outside of a Gaffer "in the know" (for what reason his name escapes me now) accidentally posting a confirmation thread about Skyfall, I haven't heard anything about it being exclusive, or that the Wii-U is missing out on 007 Generations. If anything, it seems like it would be the other way around...

Edit: It was Shiggy. Came to me right after I posted. :lol

grandjedi6

Nintendo has kept all WiiU announcements and news silent for almost a year now. I seriously doubt that Nintendo Power will be the ones to finally break it.

With the Wii fading away and the WiiU still on the horizon, this announcement, whatever it is, is probably going to be a 3DS game.

MLH

It's Aliens Colonial Marines (Wii U), it was hard to guess from the pic but the text gave it away. The pic is of the Sulaco BTW:
Sulaco_approach.JPG

I was hoping a magazine would have the first look at a Wii U game, like Game Informer had Red Steel for the Wii.

That kind of backfired though, and if something like that were to happen again it wouldn't be Nintendo Power.

FoneBone

Outside of a Gaffer "in the know" (for what reason his name escapes me now) accidentally posting a confirmation thread about Skyfall, I haven't heard anything about it being exclusive, or that the Wii-U is missing out on 007 Generations. If anything, it seems like it would be the other way around...

Edit: It was Shiggy. Came to me right after I posted. :lol

Shiggy then posted after 007 Legends was announced that he had mistakenly assumed that the Bond project he'd heard about was a Skyfall game, but was actually 007 Legends instead.

This is it then, thought it would be a Skyfall game.

Skiesofwonder

Shiggy then posted after 007 Legends was announced that he had mistakenly assumed that the Bond project he'd heard about was a Skyfall game, but was actually 007 Legends instead.

Ahhhhhh, see that makes more sense. I was wondering why Activision would release two different bond games in one year..... again.

Shiggy

Ahhhhhh, see that makes more sense. I was wondering why Activision would release two different bond games in one year..... again.

The last time that happened was 2010. Blood Stone and GoldenEye were released in that year, even on the same system (DS). And technically, 007 Legends also is a Skyfall game, it does include elements from Skyfall.

[It] ties together the storylines from six classic Bond films, concluding with this year’s much-anticipated installment, SKYFALL

Of course, all 6 "parts" have Craig as Bond...

And well, 007 Legends is yet to be confirmed for Wii U. But wouldn't it be quite a missed opportunity when both are rumoured to launch this October?

Skiesofwonder

The last time that happened was 2010. Blood Stone and GoldenEye were released in that year, even on the same system (DS). And technically, 007 Legends also is a Skyfall game, it does include elements from Skyfall.

Yep, and Blood Stone was greatly over-shadowed and sold way below expectations. Surely they have learned from that mistake. :lol

@MLH: I think it is a bit of stretch to say that Silhouette is the Sulaco. Though it would make sense considering the developers hinted that we would be seeing (or hearing) more about the Wii-U version before E3 hits.

I don't think its COD, i mean the previous titles have been released to the Wii with no mentionable hype or special advertising.

I do think it's the 007 game and we are getting burned here :D

I wish it's Strider 3!

Top Bottom