• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FYE 3/15 Results - Beats Market Expectations, FY15 Guidance Announced

wow, its strange, its almost like omega ruby and alpha saphire have completly replaced X and Y as the main pokemon game for the system, its gonna pass fire red and leaf grean, and has a chance of passing heart gold and soul silver, don't think ive ever seen that in the pokemon series

Mory Dunz

I will add that the idea that the sales of a game like Sonic All-Stars or Rayman Legends are properly relevant to potential sales of Mario Kart 8 or NSMB is inane to me. The point is that one of those two sets of games are a cultural institution that most casuals could name check, and the others are just some other family-friendly games, nothing more. One of those sets has a history of selling millions and millions to an established and extremely loyal fanbase and as well as to millions of casual gamers, as well as actually selling consoles to go along with them and the other set doesn't. The idea that Nintendo's audience wouldn't follow them to other home consoles if they had to is bizarre to me, it really is.

I feel like on one hand, people say such-and-such franchise is dead, it's not the 90s anymore, etc. People don't care. Then turn around and say it would sell gangbusters if it was third party on the PS4/XB1.[/QUOTE]

Anyway,
I kind of want a number, a guess. Not specifically you, but anyone with that mindset.
How much would you expect Smash to do? MK? Zelda? Would it be enough to make up the costs for it not being on their own hardware? I doubt it. I even think some franchises would lose sales.

Neff

Licensing to platform holders can vary depending on the publisher. As can brick and mortar percentages.

For instance, Rockstar can and does strong arm platform holders and stores to take a smaller cut.

Big companies and big games make more profit.

Additionally, "moneyhatting" is often just given as discounts in platform licensing fees, and as such, change in absolute value depending on sales.

Also, the breakdown in "marketing" costs as a percentage of units sold is totally funky, as that varies greatly title to title. It varies even more because it's spent before the sales numbers come in; while sales targets can be fairly close, and pre-order number help a lot, history is littered with games that overspent on marketing that didn't realize as sales and underground hits that blew up by word of mouth.

We should consider these breakdowns speculative and conditional at best, but the benefits of Nintendo's hardware business are too frequently overlooked by those looking to convince themselves that Mario and Zelda on rival hardware is not only realistic but attractive to Nintendo. If only they were smart enough to see that!

One underwhelming (yet still profitable) system isn't a good enough reason to scrap a 30-year business model which has made them many billions of dollars. But here we are mired in this rather silly topic again.

Hero

sony and microsoft can't even get their own userbases to buy their own family-friendly games. i really doubt that nintendo can succeed on their platforms to the degree people are expecting.

It's foolish to think that Nintendo can put out Mario or Zelda can be put on PS4 or Xbox One and have it generate the same kind of money that it does for them now, even on their small user base of Wii U.

akashhhhh

Google translate of slides indicate Nintendo plans to have 5 mobile titles by March? More than I thought, honestly.

Edit: 2017. Nevermind. Fewer than I thought, honestly.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The title scale, the next fiscal year end, ie please think 5 about title until 2017 the end of March. This might sound small, and aim to lead the one by one to hit, considering that to be firm management, we never thought that it is not a small scale a half-hearted effort.

5 mobile titles expected by March 2017 it seems.

J@hranimo

Banned
"Worldwide #Amiibo shipments to date: 10.5 million. 11% to Japan, 66% to North America, 20% to Europe, 3% to Aussie." - Cheesemeister's twitter.

I see a mention of E3 in the Japanese slides but I have no idea what it says.

Last year's it looks like:

Google:

Here, has announced already, it is a Wii U title will be released in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2016. This will in addition to there is also unpublished title, but in this, contains many titles to actively take advantage of the Wii U GamePad.
Our Miyamoto was introduced in last year's E3-led "GamePad utilization project" is, of course, for example, such as "Mario Maker (tentative name)", UGC using the GamePad: User Generated Contents, ie, customers of enjoy everyone what you made and taking advantage of the creativity, to play like that, I thought the very to you there is a big possibility, or not even than there is potential to such play the way so that play together in a parent-child It has.

I see a mention of E3 in the Japanese slides but I have no idea what it says.

Talking about how they announced games that use the GamePad at E3 last year, like Mario Maker. They do mention there are more Wii U titles for this FY that haven't been announced yet, though.

Sandfox

5 mobile titles expected by March 2017 it seems.
I'm curious to see if they're going to with the typical business model.
"Worldwide #Amiibo shipments to date: 10.5 million. 11% to Japan, 66% to North America, 20% to Europe, 3% to Aussie." - Cheesemeister's twitter.

That probably isn't going to look any better until the next generation.

Talking about how they announced games that use the GamePad at E3 last year, like Mario Maker. They do mention there are more Wii U titles for this FY that haven't been announced yet, though.

Retro, IS, and/or Next Level please.

BY2K

Membero Americo

So they don't mention any plans for this year's E3 at all yet?

I know I'm jumping the gun, but I don't like that, less than a month and a half before the show.

Google translate of slides indicate Nintendo plans to have 5 mobile titles by March? More than I thought, honestly.

Edit: 2017. Nevermind. Fewer than I thought, honestly.

Quality>Quantity yes pls, thanks.

If they're intelligently/cleverly designed than they can have massive legs due to updates, expansions and ESPECIALLY connections or functionality with sister console titles

jvm

Gamasutra.
Latest dual-screen shipments updated.
0yC9kqi.png

Neff

Nintendogs, followed closely by New Super Mario Bros.

Even factoring all this (I owned one and considered it a huge improvement over the 2004 model), and the fact that Mario Kart DS released around the same time, It still boggles the mind how huge it went.

TYO:7974 is up over 8% so far.

NTDOY was up over 6% today.

Investors are into it.

this essentially means that the Japanese exchange is up 2% following NTDOY's 6% rally, but the day is not done...

Question is does one bank the gains before the weekend or can this momentum be sustained for a bit? Can't see how it doesnt at least roller coaster a bunch while steadily going up. Maybe if they can put out a stealth press release over the weekend touting the # of Splatoon demo downloads and the total numbers of hours logged over the sessions?

ffdgh

wow, its strange, its almost like omega ruby and alpha saphire have completly replaced X and Y as the main pokemon game for the system, its gonna pass fire red and leaf grean, and has a chance of passing heart gold and soul silver, don't think ive ever seen that in the pokemon series

Can't say I'm surprised. OR/AS was more enjoyable and had more stuff to do after the main story was done lol.

akashhhhh

Maybe if they can put out a stealth press release over the weekend touting the # of Splatoon demo downloads and the total numbers of hours logged over the sessions?

there's no way something like this moves the dial at all.

I'd say NTDOY is a longer term hold. I think things are looking really good with the way they're looking to diversify the IP. Rides, toys, mobile, etc.

If they can get a decent movie out in the vein of Lego Movie, things could really be on the upswing mindshare wise.

This page should be a lesson on not how to debate a topic.

You assumumption can be challenged, don't be upset if people ask you to back it up.

Just because it makes perfect sense in your head is not enough

Chaos17

Downloads sales

25l.jpg

This is an individual 3 period of transition of download sales.
Following the third quarter, the fourth quarter of download sales also increased significantly, net download sales came to 31.3 billion yen.
The download sales has increased about 30 percent in the year under review, especially in overseas markets, it is due to the fact that sales of the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U package Heibai software has increased both.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/150508/03.html

I'd say NTDOY is a longer term hold. I think things are looking really good with the way they're looking to diversify the IP. Rides, toys, mobile, etc.

oh for sure I want to be along for that ride, especially as the mobile stuff rolls out, but those more pronounced peaks and valleys due to increased volatility will haunt me

Instro

sony and microsoft can't even get their own userbases to buy their own family-friendly games. i really doubt that nintendo can succeed on their platforms to the degree people are expecting.

Sort of meaningless considering their family friendly offerings amount to shovelware from C-tier developers. I don't really get the narrative frankly, because there are many family friendly IPs that have had great success outside of Nintendo platforms.

watershed

Banned
Is there no new thread to discuss the English presentation stuff? Lots of interesting info like Nintendo aiming to release 5 smart phone games by the end of the next fiscal year.

AniHawk

Minecraft?

the 360 reached a different audience with kinect, appealing to the same demographic as the wii. had minecraft been on the wii, it probably would have been popular too. microsoft didn't make minecraft, although they own it now.

Sort of meaningless considering their family friendly offerings amount to shovelware from C-tier developers. I don't really get the narrative frankly, because there are many family friendly IPs that have had great success outside of Nintendo platforms.

which ones? i know lego did well on 360, but it didn't do as well on the ps3 and it's currently not doing well on the xbox one or ps4. i think skylanders and other family games are the same way.

i think sony and microsoft realize there's a problem. sony's been more aggressive about it since 2012 at least. they produced littlebigplanet 3, knack, ratchet & clank into the nexus, playstation all-stars, littlebigplanet kart racing sly 4, littlebigplanet vita, tearaway, and puppeteer, and have tearaway ps4, ratchet ps4 and probably more on the way. nothing really sold well, but they recognize there's an audience out there and are trying something to get them. microsoft did the same thing with kinect, and i feel they thought the xbox one would be this machine that transcended video game consoles. a device from the not-too-distant future you can have now, where television is controlled by your voice and the swipe of a hand. i suppose i should take back what i said about microsoft as a whole: they were able to at least capture this market with the 360, and had software people wanted to boot. it's really sony who has had a perpetually tough time building this audience since the ps2 really started fading away in 2008 or so.

Burai

shitonmychest57
We should consider these breakdowns speculative and conditional at best, but the benefits of Nintendo's hardware business are too frequently overlooked by those looking to convince themselves that Mario and Zelda on rival hardware is not only realistic but attractive to Nintendo. If only they were smart enough to see that!

One underwhelming (yet still profitable) system isn't a good enough reason to scrap a 30-year business model which has made them many billions of dollars. But here we are mired in this rather silly topic again.

Problem is, Wii U isn't the outlier here. The success of the Wii is the anomaly and the trend for Nintendo hardware sales is going down generation after generation.

If the Wii U's failure in a vacuum isn't enough to rethink their business, then the trend is.

With their move to mobile anything is on the table right now. Their fans have been happily putting their fingers in their ears and casually dismissing the idea of mobile development or third party development because they really aren't understanding the true implications of new products like Amiibo or the Universal theme park deal.

Nintendo are once again trying to get themselves into a position where they aren't relying on their dwindling hardcore fanbase and they seem to be taking any means necessary to do that. Is a move to third party development part of that? Who knows but you'd be foolish and/or ignorant to rule it out.

Sandfox

Problem is, Wii U isn't the outlier here. The success of the Wii is the anomaly and the trend for Nintendo hardware sales is going down generation after generation.

If the Wii U's failure in a vacuum isn't enough to rethink their business, then the trend is.

With their move to mobile anything is on the table right now. Their fans have been happily putting their fingers in their ears and casually dismissing the idea of mobile development or third party development because they really aren't understanding the true implications of new products like Amiibo or the Universal theme park deal.

Nintendo are once again trying to get themselves into a position where they aren't relying on their dwindling hardcore fanbase and they seem to be taking any means necessary to do that. Is a move to third party development part of that? Who knows but you'd be foolish and/or ignorant to rule it out.
Its pretty clear that they aren't planning a move to third party at the moment.

AniHawk

well the good news is that while we're on the subject of trends and outliers, the next handheld they make will clear the 155m the ds had.

Mik317

Can it happen? Yeah. Will it happen? I imagine it happens after at least one more wii U level failure...and even then.

Going 3rd party isn't this amazing move, people. It is you as a company admitting you aint shit and thus need to kill one of your branches to save yourself. You don't willingly give up power unless you really really have to.

The Nintendo that goes third party will be in a lot rougher shape than people imagine. They won't and shouldn't do so until they have to. And if they can keep making a profit with the level of disaster the Wii U is, then I expect it won't happen for a while.

I'm not saying it will never ever happen, I am saying that it won't be this sunshine and rainbow scenario if it does.

3rd party Nintendo is not current Nintendo but on more consoles. Many franchise will effectively be dead. Many of the actual development teams will be cut down. And I question if there will be this big boom upon release on new consoles people expect...or will these titles still sell wii U release numbers or worse.

I really think the number of people who would legit quit gaming out of fanboy rage, those who NEVER were interested in Nintendo games and such is not being taken into consideration here. I think the number of people who are interested in Nintendo games but not enough to buy the console isn't this large untapped crowd...I feel as if many of those will find another reason to pass on buying their games (mainly y'know not being the only games on the block competing for time anymore...the reverse reason 3rd party companies don't release games on nintendo systems allegedly).

But again I am not saying it won't happen...I just question if it is that great of a thing for gamers, nintendo fans, Nintendo themselves longterm (key word, because short term it would be awesome to play Nintendo games on my ps4, I'll admit that...but longterm I fear that it wouldn't be sustainable). I feel the same way about them releasing Mobile Games. It'll be great for profits and short term gain...but I wonder if it will eat into their handheld division.

Neff

The mobile move could potentially indicate a lack of confidence in their hardware business if they were aiming to make a lot of money from it. But the main reason they're doing it is to strengthen IP visibility outside their own market as a means to bringing consumers back to the market where they really make money. And tellingly, they did assert that they were in the process of creating new hardware when they announced the mobile deal.

And much of this debate ignores the plain fact that -mathematically speaking- they're simply not going to make as much selling games for rival platforms as they do from the enormous amount of control they exert over their current model. You would have to see catastrophic losses over a long period of time and large-scale layoffs before Nintendo abandoning the hardware business became even viable let alone logical.

StormKing

Can it happen? Yeah. Will it happen? I imagine it happens after at least one more wii U level failure...and even then.

Going 3rd party isn't this amazing move, people. It is you as a company admitting you aint shit and thus need to kill one of your branches to save yourself. You don't willingly give up power unless you really really have to.

The Nintendo that goes third party will be in a lot rougher shape than people imagine. They won't and shouldn't do so until they have to. And if they can keep making a profit with the level of disaster the Wii U is, then I expect it won't happen for a while.

I'm not saying it will never ever happen, I am saying that it won't be this sunshine and rainbow scenario if it does.

3rd party Nintendo is not current Nintendo but on more consoles. Many franchise will effectively be dead. Many of the actual development teams will be cut down. And I question if there will be this big boom upon release on new consoles people expect...or will these titles still sell wii U release numbers or worse.

I really think the number of people who would legit quit gaming out of fanboy rage, those who NEVER were interested in Nintendo games and such is not being taken into consideration here. I think the number of people who are interested in Nintendo games but not enough to buy the console isn't this large untapped crowd...I feel as if many of those will find another reason to pass on buying their games (mainly y'know not being the only games on the block competing for time anymore...the reverse reason 3rd party companies don't release games on nintendo systems allegedly).

But again I am not saying it won't happen...I just question if it is that great of a thing for gamers, nintendo fans, Nintendo themselves longterm (key word, because short term it would be awesome to play Nintendo games on my ps4, I'll admit that...but longterm I fear that it wouldn't be sustainable). I feel the same way about them releasing Mobile Games. It'll be great for profits and short term gain...but I wonder if it will eat into their handheld division.

Agreed.

A profiting company will never go third party or sell significant divisions unless it is forced to. Sony had multiple years of lost billions before they sold their failing divisions.

TI82

Banned

For a better example just look at 3rd party Sega. Shudder.

4Tran

The mobile move could potentially indicate a lack of confidence in their hardware business if they were aiming to make a lot of money from it. But the main reason they're doing it is to strengthen IP visibility outside their own market as a means to bringing consumers back to the market where they really make money. And tellingly, they did assert that they were in the process of creating new hardware when they announced the mobile deal.
Nintendo is making all of these new moves in an effort to diversify their businesses. And that points to them expecting their console and handheld segments to see diminishing returns in the prospective future. Nintendo isn't planning to abandon their hardware lines, but they also hedging their bets. All things considered, it's not a bad idea.

Top Bottom