• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

Nikokuno

The more I think about this, I'm almost positive this will be called one of the following outside Japan:

3DS Advance

or

Advance 3DS

Boycott ... >.> such a lame name, why already thinking about this, Advance in the name with Super Famicom button colours with DS form factor, yeah!!

"New" is such an odd branding scheme to me, but I guess it works if NSMB is anything to go by. It seems like such an odd decision to announce this before the Smash bundle unless there's a New Smash bundle.
Ninty will release an add when hit worldwide and the 'mess' will be clear up.

Btw, I want a clear color new 3DS in honour of my clear GameBoy Basic.

There's nothing to see through as there's solid plastive underneath the plates.

golem

I bought the 3ds day one.
I upgraded to the 3dsXL.
I want to upgrade to this. I truly do. But my 3dsXL is the Animal Crossing Edition and no way am I abandoning that.
Same. Not selling my Zelda XL.

Next Nintendo handheld generation I'm holding out for the revision.

StormKing

Uh, well I think it's fair to be annoyed over a game that you can't otherwise play. That's kind of the whole point of many poster frustrations.

This revision is fine as long as Nintendo does put new system games on it. Games like new Mario Kart, new Mario platformer etc. If it's just wii ports or gba vc console titles, then I'm perfectly fine with it. If they put a new Fire emblem exclusive on it, I will be sending angry letters to Iwata and co.

javac

Nah, need a 32GB one since I'm digital on my 3DS. Heck, I might even go for a 64GB since filesizes are starting to get bigger on the 3DS.

Micro SD cards seem to be a lot cheaper then SD cards the higher up you go right? I got a 64GB for my phone for only £25 or thereabouts.

watershed

Banned
I think 3ds Advance or Super 3ds both would have been better than *New* 3ds. Neither advance or super sound terribly dated to me, although they are very videogamey. Super 3ds would have been best as it communicates basically what the Nu3ds is, just better in pretty much every way over the current 3ds.

$h@d0w

lol at all the special edition plain old 3ds owners

you will buy the new 3ds

it's simply too new and shiny to resist

Zing

Banned
I bought the 3ds day one.
I upgraded to the 3dsXL.
I want to upgrade to this. I truly do. But my 3dsXL is the Animal Crossing Edition and no way am I abandoning that.
Just wait until there is an Animal Crossing shell and you may change your tune. :)

Nikokuno

The extra HW might make GBA emulation possible :)

I know the 3DS is able, but not with BC processes running.

3DS with ambassador can run GBA game without flaw so what they waiting? Playing handset game on a Wii U sounds stupid (I know Wii U have no games *sarcastic*)

Mononoke

Banned
Not launching with smash seems pretty weak on Nintendo's part.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy to think that, all these people will want to buy a 3DS for the Christmas season because of Smash. And yet, there is a new 3DS that makes the old one obsolete (well basically, if they are the same price there is no reason to get the old one)...right around early 2015.

Then again, I guess if Smash Wii U is out in December people will shift to WIi U instead of 3DS smash. *shrugs*

Caffeine

I couldn't possibly hate this redesign more.

Still no full-sized second circle pad. This was like their third chance to fix that. I want a second circle pad symmetrical with the left one, with the ABXY buttons symmetrical with the d-pad. I hate playing VC games on the 3DS because the ABXY buttons are offset from the d-pad. Ugh.

Then they color the buttons. Not only do they have the balls to stick to their backwards-ass Japanese button placement, but now they want to bring their old colors back despite the fact that we now have an industry standard. Xbox, Steam, iOS, Android and Amazon devices all use the same ABXY button placement and coloring scheme. They better drop the button colors for the US release.

This might be the first gaming device that I refuse to buy on principal.

i dont even know what im reading right now lol.

MbMXyaG.png

Ty4on

3DS with ambassador can run GBA game without flaw so what they waiting? Playing handset game on a Wii U sounds stupid (I know Wii U have no games *sarcastic*)

The 3DS has to go into a GBA mode where normal features (multitasking) are unavailable which kept Nintendo from making a GBA VC. Maybe this model can properly emulate GBA games.

This is one way to lose consumer trust. Like how Sega ditched their CD periphal for the 32x, then ditched that for the Saturn. Then they cut western Saturn support. By the time DC came out, consumer trust was way too low and Sega was already too much money in the hole.
Sega didn't ditch the Sega CD. Why else would there be 5 games needing both periphals?
supremewarrior.jpg

They didn't ditch the 32X for Saturn, but it was internal conflict between Japan (Saturn) and US (32X). SoA wanted the Neptune and 32X to be a stop gap which could have worked well.

The issue with the DC was that the PS2 was the shit.

Type_Raver

Based on the precedent of Xenoblade Chronicles coming to new3DS, what excites me is the potential of other Wii games coming to the system.

Mario galaxy 3d, metroid prime 3, full 3d Zelda like twilight princess anyone??

Yes, we have seen a previous Wii port in the form of DKCR on the original 3ds.

Also, I'm looking forward to other new experiences that take advantage of the added ram and cpu power.

LOCK

Then people will be like:

WHERE ARE THE GBA VC GAMES!?!?!

Way too confusing, regardless of how cool it sounds IMO.

lol true

I'm trying to understand why they aren't launching in America this year, and I think it is a branding argument. Which is why they trademarked the ADVANCE name earlier this year.

sub_o

I was hoping for something like this:

2676378-n3ds.png

But I guess it's complicated to design around technical constraints and the need to keep it small and portable.

After a whole day kinda of pissed off about this, I finally got around to look on the bright side: that likely means they aren't replacing the Wii U (which I got last month) any time soon. Sales are picking up and they'd release the next console together with the next portable, and since this is a stopgap that doesn't arrive until next year in the west we're looking at it buying 2 years or close to it.

Well, at least I hope so, I hate how Nintendo drop the support of their consoles so soon. And if this releases 2015 and the next one 2016 they kinda deserve to go bankrupt.

Hey, big stretches here, but I got to think about something to get my mind off that fucking atrocious second stick.

They actually do have flaws. They can't really run the 3DS menu smoothly; once you start one, you have to shut off the 3DS entirely to get back to the system menus. Also, Yoshi's Island had massive blurring issues, from my experience and other reports, but I'm unsure how much of that was present in the GBA port. Supposedly it was not, but I'm not certain.

Not to mention the complete lack of link-up/wireless compatibility.

This is one way to lose consumer trust. Like how Sega ditched their CD periphal for the 32x, then ditched that for the Saturn. Then they cut western Saturn support. By the time DC came out, consumer trust was way too low and Sega was already too much money in the hole.

Yeah, it's totally damaged Apple's rep o_O.

rpmurphy

how is media playback (pictures/music/video) on these? Any improvement. I have 32GB micro sd cards for phones that I never used.
Playback is ok and has some interesting toy features, but very limited media types, organization is primitive (photos/videos by date only, music by file system structure and manually-created playlists), and the lack of proper indexing for the music app makes the initial loading slow. Don't bother dumping all your media library on the card.

Playback is ok and has some interesting toy features, but very limited media types, organization is primitive (photos/videos by date only, music by file system structure and manually-created playlists), and the lack of proper indexing for the music app makes the initial loading slow. Don't bother dumping all your media library on the card.

So you have one of the new ones? ;)

Zing

Banned
Shit, does this have better speakers than the XL or the OG? The speakers on those suck
The only speakers I have heard that were better than the original 3DS were on the original DS, or possibly the original Game Boy. What is being compared here?

I've read though most of this thread and I have to say the posts here are some of the most harsh, hasty, knee-jerk, misinformed, FUD-based and just plain ignorant posts I have ever seen on GAF. I am often wondering if the person writing the words has even bothered to put a millisecond of thought behind them.

The only speakers I have heard that were better than the original 3DS were on the original DS, or possibly the original Game Boy. What is being compared here?

I think it just depends on the speaker lottery... My roommate (at the time) and I both got a 3DS at launch. My speakers are super quiet, I have to play with headphones on if there's any other noise around, I could hear his over the TV...

So obviously I have yet to get my hands on this thing, but in theory I like the placement of ZL and ZR, it's actually something I hadn't considered. I was trying to think of ways to get two shoulder buttons on a portable without it being terrible, and never even considered that.

Maybe it'll suck, but Nintendo has surprised me on that one

Nikokuno

They actually do have flaws. They can't really run the 3DS menu smoothly; once you start one, you have to shut off the 3DS entirely to get back to the system menus. Also, Yoshi's Island had massive blurring issues, from my experience and other reports, but I'm unsure how much of that was present in the GBA port. Supposedly it was not, but I'm not certain.

Not to mention the complete lack of link-up/wireless compatibility.

Hmm OK get it, remind me of the Wii BC which don't allow you to play with the Wii U Gamepad. It's basically a software issue, it's not like the 3DS is not capable enough, Nintendo really struggle being efficient (like a bunch of Japanese company since post PS2 era).
But when I play some Fire Emblem back in the day and even today it's always not available (for everyone) I feel a bit angry.

Ive been using a microsd card in my 3ds for months now with an adapter. And ive only had one problem. I cant get it out of the friggen adaptor -.- hopefully i can get it out before launch.

I don't really see what they're going to accomplish with this personally. I own a 3DS and Vita but am not a big handheld gamer so maybe it doesn't matter what I think, but I don't see this doing much of anything really.

For me it just makes me want to sell my current 3DS XL, and maybe buy one of these new ones to replace it sometime down the road.

HUELEN10

Ive been using a microsd card in my 3ds for months now with an adapter. And ive only had one problem. I cant get it out of the friggen adaptor -.- hopefully i can get it out before launch.
Backup the card to a computer first, and then try to get it out. It happened to me once, and using very sticky tape on the tang and yanking hard helped me. Of course a stunt like this is truly an absolutely last-resort try. Whatever you do, do NOT use pliers; you could scratch and fuck up the card!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm all for this. I'll likely get this, and I can't wait for Nintendo to eventually release the New U. I'm ready for an inner change.

Top Bottom