• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

anyone help me clear this up...

If i buy the new 3ds, my purchased games on my 'old 3ds' wont transfer ?

You'll be able to transfer them as long as you have both systems handy for about 30 minutes. Just like if you transferred from a regular DS to a DS XL (like I did).

Mozz-eyes

Banned
anyone help me clear this up...

If i buy the new 3ds, my purchased games on my 'old 3ds' wont transfer ?

Yes they will, just do a system transfer.

You have to have both consoles next to each other and connected to WiFi, iirc.

It's pretty painless to be honest. Obviously a true account system would be ideal but the Nintendo version isn't nearly as bad as people make out.

Will there be an upper limit on the size of MicroSD card I can use? I'm thinking about buying a 64GB one now. Amazon has one for $40.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081EAK34/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Officially Nintendo is only supporting up to 32GB SDHC cards. This is the same as the regular 3DS... support ends at 32GB, but you can use up to 128GB SD cards in the regular 3DS as long as you format them to FAT32 in your computer.

We assume, but don't know for a fact, this will be the same for the New 3DS. You may be better off waiting till the system is out and people confirm it working, it's not like flash memory is set to raise in price.

Celine

sörine;127837469 said:
That took so much longer than I expected! Nintendo originally planned GBC as a stopgap revision and that's pretty evident given most early games are still GB compatible and nearly every single 1st party GB game has pre-set palettes when played on a GBC. Even 3rd party games they picked up for regional release, although only the Nintendo published versions work (JP or NA FF Adventure has no palette for example). When GBC took off and sold ridiculously above expectations (it ended up doing about 50m over 4 years, better than the original GB had ever sold) then Nintendo switched gears and started doing more GBC games while also continually pushing GBA back. The argument that it was a revision that evolved into a successor makes a lot of sense, I think the only comparable other platform would be maybe PC Engine to CD/Duo in Japan.
There is also the WonderSwan to WonderSwan Color transition, which in fact is very close to what happened with GB->GBC (only the cross compatible games were just 22).

Apath

You know, if the improved 3D eliminates the massive ghosting problem (basically makes the 3D useless for me), I'll replace my XL.

Wolfe

I'm curious to see these in person, it's a little disappointing that we'll have to wait until next year in NA/EU. I instantly switched over to an XL due to the OG screen being so tiny but I wonder how the new OG will feel in person in that regard.

flak57

sörine;127888253 said:
It's not like it at all. It's 2 SKUs on 2 separate systems, which is nothing new. We've had that going back to the 1980s.
It is like it "at all", you ignored my response that explains why.

sörine;127888253 said:
Right, because the understanding was all games would still be playable on every Game Boy. When Nintendo started introducing GBC games that wouldn't be backwards compatible they made sure to include extra branding on the box to indicate that and well as unique casing for the carts themselves. The standard was cross-compatible though, which is unheard of for a successor system. Because it wasn't planned as a successor system. Your PS4 games won't work on your PS3.

If the understanding was that the games would still be playable on every game boy they wouldn't have included that blurb in the back. And why wasn't Game Boy Pocket on the front of every box after it released? Because it was a revision, while the GBC was a new system.

Also, the GBC was not unique. The Neo Geo Pocket/Color and Wonderswan/Color also had cross-compatible games and exclusives. They were both successors as well.

sörine;127888253 said:
If Nintendo considered GBC a true successor they wouldn't lump it's figures together with GB. Just like they don't for NES & SNES, GB & GBA, DS & 3DS or Wii & Wii U. They do lump GB with GBC and DS with DSi though. And I'm sure they'll do the same for 3DS and New 3DS.
How they lump them together in their financials doesn't mean much at all. That's for investors, not consumers. Didn't sony start lumping PSP and Vita together for awhile?

sörine;127888253 said:
Who's talking about GBA? I'm talking about a colored Game Boy that colorizes all your old Nintendo Game Boy games.

The GBA and SP were to help show you these supposed great lengths Nintendo went to upgrade OG Game Boy games doesn't somehow make the GBC a revision. Clearly there's no pattern.

But really Iet's look at the most obvious thing here, please explain what reason Nintendo had for beefing up the GBC specs so much outside making more graphically demanding games that of course the OG GB wouldn't be able to run. This hardware was proooobably designed before the system was released and had such a smashing success.

Edit: I think I should point out I'm pretty happy with this new announcement, since I think I remember you said you were too awhile ago, correct me if I'm wrong! Most of all I like that they're going back and getting 3D right instead of ditching it. I was worried after the 2DS. It really made a difference in Mar 3D Land even if it felt like I had to keep perfectly still.

Cipherr

Not even the mainstream media is as confused by this as some of GAF's 'Gamers'. Everyone in the media recognizes it as a new model in the same line of handheld ala DSi. Most of them even reference the DSi in their articles. Meanwhile hardcore gamers on message boards are confused by something that's happening multiple times in the past.

wut..

Loxley

I'm only vaguely annoyed at this announcement because I was planning on picking up an XL this holiday season, but now that this thing has been announced and won't be coming to the US until 2015, I'm probably going to be waiting another 6+ months to pick one up :( On one hand, I'm glad this was announced before I grabbed a regular 3DS, but I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for it.

Clefargle

Not even the mainstream media is as confused by this as some of GAF's 'Gamers'. Everyone in the media recognizes it as a new model in the same line of handheld ala DSi. Most of them even reference the DSi in their articles. Meanwhile hardcore gamers on message boards are confused by something that's happening multiple times in the past.

wut..

Yup, everyone on these boards thinks they are soooo much more intelligent and aware of these things that they can't imagine anyone not on par with them looking up wiki articles about past nintendo systems and writing about this new one in an straightforward manner.

Zing

Banned
You know, if the improved 3D eliminates the massive ghosting problem (basically makes the 3D useless for me), I'll replace my XL.
Unless they are able to significantly reduce light transmission through the parallax barrier, there will still be crosstalk ("ghosting"). The dynamic viewing angle won't affect crosstalk.

Note that crosstalk can be minimized by having the brightness set lower and viewing at a certain vertical angle. I've never been able to completely eliminate it, but it is far less noticeable with brightness at 3 than 5.

Officially Nintendo is only supporting up to 32GB SDHC cards. This is the same as the regular 3DS... support ends at 32GB, but you can use up to 128GB SD cards in the regular 3DS as long as you format them to FAT32 in your computer.

We assume, but don't know for a fact, this will be the same for the New 3DS. You may be better off waiting till the system is out and people confirm it working, it's not like flash memory is set to raise in price.
Good idea plus who knows when this thing is coming out anyway. Thanks.

I thought I had read all the info, but I finally got around to watching the reveal video, well actually the GameXplain discussion, and this looks cooler than I thought. I'm still not planning on picking one up but I hope Nintendo's next handheld is as customizable as the New 3DS will be. The faceplate + matching themes seem pretty neat.

molnizzle

Nice to see you support the correct button labeling.

i3IfafU.gif

wilflare

playing Azure Striker Gunvolt...
I can't wait for the redesign... so I don't have to keep trying to find the 3D sweetspot on the 3DSXL

gemoran4

So I have a very dumb complaint I'm going to throw out there. Why did they make the A button red and the B button yellow on the regular New 3DS? Seeing as A tends to be the confirm/action button and B is typically a back button for menus, i feel like they should have made A green and B red (like on the gamecube controller or even xbox). I mean it's not like they could be in trouble for "plagiarizing" the xbox controller's 4 button color scheme right?

Wonder if the improved 3D will help those with bad eyes.

I have a friend who has one bad eye and can't see well out of it.

Hope the new 3D will help give the 3D effect better.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yup, everyone on these boards thinks they are soooo much more intelligent and aware of these things that they can't imagine anyone not on par with them looking up wiki articles about past nintendo systems and writing about this new one in an straightforward manner.

I remember people saying similar things in the terms of the Wii U...

Let's not go in this direction. There will definitely be confusion -- especially after Nintendo emphasized the fact that 2DS owners could play "all 3DS games".

So I have a very dumb complaint I'm going to throw out there. Why did they make the A button red and the B button yellow on the regular New 3DS? Seeing as A tends to be the confirm/action button and B is typically a back button for menus, i feel like they should have made A green and B red (like on the gamecube controller or even xbox). I mean it's not like they could be in trouble for "plagiarizing" the xbox controller's 4 button color scheme right?

It's the old Super Famicom button color scheme. If you grew up during the Xbox days, and lived in the US, then you wouldn't have seen it. But during the Super Famicom/Nintendo days, Europe and Japan got their buttons in those colors and the US got the Purple/lavender variant.

It's just a throwback.

wut..

Seriously, this is what I've been arguing this whole time. Everyone outside gaming forums knows what a "new 3DS" is. It's a new 3DS.

RM8

I also haven't encountered anyone outside of this thread thinking it's not a revision like the DSi, which had exclusives too (including an exclusive digital store).

To those at America on the fence about the colored buttons VS the XL, don't worry about it.

It won't release here because NoA will say something like "colored buttons don't sell!"

:p

It would be perfectly fine if the device didn't have its own exclusive games.
Yeah, but the one game they announced so far is a port that probably couldn't run on the old 3DS. I'm withholding my disapproval until they make games from the ground up that won't run on the OG 3DS. I'd be pissed about a Majora's mask port being exclusive too.

Its kinda sad to see people think Xbox started the colored buttons and that their BAYX formation was always the standard. But I guess thats expected with every new generation of people that comes through here.

Top Bottom