• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not sure of this happening. If the very few things I've heard about the QoL are accurate, this move would serve as an interesting precursor. However, I'm more inclined to think the new handhelds will have a controller function, like the PS4-Vita relationship.

Mind sharing those things? You know we all wanna know.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I saw someone make this on my Twitter feed. It seems like a likely scenario, somewhat.

Seems unlikely, but it would be cool if we could use the N3DS as a secondary gamepad controller.

Mlatador

Banned
Btw, my prediction powers still have some juice left XD

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=108425892

Saw a post sugesting that a 3DS redesign is somewhat implausible to happen. On the other hand it seems quite counter productive for Nintendo not to do one.

For me the most obvious route is doing a model between the old one and XL. The hook could be a second circle pad and some extra hardware improvements to better handle the OS and Miiverse.

The slight input method boost could allow easier porting of PS2/Wii level type of game asuring a more stable flow of releases.

A redegin (a competent one of course) has the added advantage of selling to the base that already has the device and is interested in an upgrade.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=75716319

The 3DS has a very strong position from know till the end of the year. After that the only good move i see Nintendo doing is launching a redesign before the first half of 2014, that'll ensure a continuation of strong sales for the device coming to 2015.

Not bad for someone that isn't an insider.

Very nice! *borat voice* But to be fair, it wasn't hard to imagine Nintendo doing a design revision for the OG 3DS to match it more with the sleek looking XL.

I decided to bite the bullet and get the Zelda XL on Nintendo's refurbished site for my birthday/because my current 3DS is dying.

Everyone I know is like "oh you're gonna regret it" but this release is still likely at least 6 months away and I can't play Pokemon or Smash on the 3DS i have now.

So, besides all the fancy upgrades and stuff, what exactly is everyone hoping for with the new system? Does it really open up more doors than either the 3DS or XL could do?

I wonder if they're gonna "retire" the older versions of the consoles. Because if not then you have the 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, New 3DS and New 3DS XL all on the market at the same time.

I just read that Nintendo released a statement saying it won't be out in the US 2014 which sucks. Now I can't pick up a 3DS as it will be outdated and have to wait for this version.

Importing is tempted but I've forgotten pretty much all the Japanese I knew and games would be more expensive too.

I do really like these newer versions and hope newer games will utilize the extra power effectively. With the increase in screen size on the regular version it is now the perfect portable.

I decided to bite the bullet and get the Zelda XL on Nintendo's refurbished site for my birthday/because my current 3DS is dying.

I was tempted but ultimately I decided that I would ultimately sell it on later and if the new ones are marketed heavily here that would probably come at a steep loss with everyone knowing a new model is being released. Depreciation will probably hit hard.

sörine

Banned
Yeah, there wasn't even any actual exclusive for the DSi, other than the DSiWare stuff. I'm not sure Nintendo really cared, actually, as their focus was on the DSiWare and enhanced retail games.

Which is why the XC exclusivity is really special: there's no doubt the OG 3DS can't possibly dream of running it (N3DS seem to be struggling a bit too). Personally, I'm not expecting lots of exclusives, N3DS is just there to make sure the 3DS keep on selling until their next handheld ready (I'd say not before 2016, my money is still on early 2016).
There is one; the European version of Face Training was DSi exclusive. That's the only retail game from Nintendo though.

Regarding the GBC successor versus revision argument in comparison.

GB/GBC cross-compatible
Beauty and the Beast: A Boardgame Adventure (1999)
Bugs Bunny: Crazy Castle 3 (1999) NA/EU only
Conker's Pocket Tales (1999)
Game & Watch Gallery 2 (1998)
Game & Watch Gallery 3 (1999)
Harvest Moon GB (1998) EU only
NBA 3-on-3 featuring Kobe Bryant (1999)
Pocket Bomberman (1998) NA/EU only
Pokémon Gold / Silver (1999)
Pokémon Pinball (1999)
Pokémon Trading Card Game (1998)
Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (1999) NA/EU only
R-Type DX (1999)
Shadowgate Classic (1999)
Tetris DX (1998)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (1998)
Quest for Camelot (1998)

GBC only
Alice in Wonderland (2000)
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (2000)
Crystalis (2000)
Donkey Kong Country (2000)
Donkey Kong Land 3 (2000) JP only
Hamtaro: Tomodachi Daisakusen Dechu (2000)
Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite! (2001)
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest (1999)
Kurby Tilt-n-Tumble (2000)
Mario Golf (1999)
Mario Tennis (2000)
Mickey's Racing Adventure (1999)
Mickey's Speedway USA (2000)
Mobile Golf (2001)
Monster Tactics (2000)
Perfect Dark (2000)
Phantom Zona (2000)
Pocket Soccer (2000)
Pokémon Crystal (2000)
Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (2000)
Pokémon Trading Card Game 2 (2001)
Star Wars Episode I: Racer (1999)
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (1999)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (2001)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (2001)
The Little Mermaid II: Pinball Frenzy (2000)
Trade & Battle Card Hero (2000)
Wario Land 3 (2000)
Warlocked (2000)

And for fun here are the 1st party GB games with special palettes programmed into the GBC firmware:

Adventures of Lolo (1992) EU only
Alleyway (1989)
Arcade Classics: Asteroids and Missile Command (1995)
Arcade Classics 2: Centipede and Millipede (1995)
Arcade Classics 3: Galaga and Galaxian (1995)
Arcade Classics 4: Joust and Defender (1995)
Atomic Kid (1990) EU only
Balloon Kid (1990)
Baseball (1989)
Battle Arena Toshinden (1996) NA only
Battletoads in Ragnorak's World (1993) EU only
Donkey Kong (1994)
Donkey Kong Land (1995)
Donkey Kong Land 2 (1996)
Donkey Kong Land III (1997)
Dr. Mario (1990)
F-1 Race (1990)
Final Fantasy Adventure (1992) EU only
For Frog the Bell Tolls (1992)
Game & Watch Gallery (1995)
Game & Watch Gallery 2 (1997)
Game Boy Gallery (1995)
Game Boy Wars (1991)
Golf (1989)
James Bond 007 (1998)
Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (1995)
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (1991)
Killer Instinct (1995)
King of the Zoo (1990)
Kirby's Block Ball (1995)
Kirby's Dream Land (1992)
Kirby's Dream Land 2 (1995)
Kirby's Pinball Land (1993)
Kirby's Star Stacker (1997)
Magnetic Soccer (1992)
Mario's Picross (1995)
Mega Man: Dr. Wiley's Revenge (1991) EU only
Mega Man II (1992) EU only
Mega Man III (1993) EU only
Metroid II : Return of Samus (1991)
Mole Mania (1996)
Nigel Manshell's World Championship Racing (1992)
Nintendo World Cup (1991) NA/EU only
Othello (1990) EU only
Pac-in-Time (1994) EU only
Picross 2 (1996)
Pinocchio (1995)
Play Action Football (1990)
Pocket Bomberman (1997) NA/EU only
Pokémon Blue/Green/Red (1996)
Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (1998) JP only
Qix (1989)
Radar Mission (1990)
Soccer (1989)
Solar Striker (1990)
Space Invaders (1994)
Star Wars (1996) NA only
Street Fighter II (1994) NA/EU only
Super Mario Land (1989)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)
Super R.C. Pro-am (1991)
Tennis (1989)
Tetris (1989)
Tetris 2 (1993)
Tetris Attack (1996)
Tetris Blast (1995) NA/EU only
Tetris Plus (1996) NA/EU only
The King of Fighters '95 (1996) NA only
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
The Rescue of Princess Blobette starring a Boy and his Blob(1990) EU only
Top Rank Tennis (1993)
Toy Story (1996) EU only
Vegas Stakes (1995)
Wario Blast featuring Bomberman (1994)
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (1993)
Wario Land II (1998)
Wave Race (1992)
X (1992)
Yakuman (1989)
Yoshi (1991)
Yoshi's Cookie (1992)

That took so much longer than I expected! Nintendo originally planned GBC as a stopgap revision and that's pretty evident given most early games are still GB compatible and nearly every single 1st party GB game has pre-set palettes when played on a GBC. Even 3rd party games they picked up for regional release, although only the Nintendo published versions work (JP or NA FF Adventure has no palette for example). When GBC took off and sold ridiculously above expectations (it ended up doing about 50m over 4 years, better than the original GB had ever sold) then Nintendo switched gears and started doing more GBC games while also continually pushing GBA back. The argument that it was a revision that evolved into a successor makes a lot of sense, I think the only comparable other platform would be maybe PC Engine to CD/Duo in Japan.

flak57

sörine;127837469 said:
That took so much longer than I expected! Nintendo originally planned GBC as a stopgap revision and that's pretty evident given most early games are still GB compatible and nearly every single 1st party GB game has pre-set palettes when played on a GBC. Even 3rd party games they picked up for regional release, although only the Nintendo published versions work (JP or NA FF Adventure has no palette for example). When GBC took off and sold ridiculously above expectations (it ended up doing about 50m over 4 years, better than the original GB had ever sold) then Nintendo switched gears and started doing more GBC games while also continually pushing GBA back. The argument that it was a revision that evolved into a successor makes a lot of sense, I think the only comparable other platform would be maybe PC Engine to CD/Duo in Japan.

Was it ever said somewhere by someone at Nintendo that it was intended as a stop gap type thing?

I don't agree with your reasoning. Backwards compatibility seems like a great way to appease the recently surging in popularity OG GB/Pocket thanks to Pokemon, and to get maximum profits out of games like Gold and Silver instead of having them limited by the new GBC userbase. Sort of like a cross gen release these days. Actually Conker and (I think) a few others had two separate games on the same cartridge, one for GBC and one for GB.

Also, even backwards compatible GBC games like Pokemon Gold/Silver show "Game Boy Color" on the front of the box as the system, not "Game Boy and Game Boy Color". OG GB support is in a blurb on the back. I think that shows their intent pretty well.

I believe the pre-set palettes are actually built into the GBC system itself (and not on the GB cartridges), and also many games may have had color schemes due to the Super Game Boy. Not sure on if the GBC could utilise that or not though.

Zing

Banned
The palettes are programmed into the GBC system itself. Likewise for the Super Game Boy. These systems simply detect the cartridge being used and apply the appropriate customization.

sörine

Banned
Was it ever said somewhere by someone at Nintendo that it was intended as a stop gap type thing?

I don't agree with your reasoning. Backwards compatibility seems like a great way to appease the recently surging in popularity OG GB/Pocket thanks to Pokemon, and to get maximum profits out of games like Gold and Silver instead of having them limited by the new GBC userbase. Sort of like a cross gen release these days. Actually Conker and (I think) a few others had two separate games on the same cartridge, one for GBC and one for GB.

Also, even backwards compatible GBC games like Pokemon Gold/Silver show "Game Boy Color" on the front of the box as the system, not "Game Boy and Game Boy Color". OG GB support is in a blurb on the back. I think that shows their intent pretty well.

I believe the pre-set palettes are actually built into the GBC system itself (and not on the GB cartridges), and also many games may have had color schemes due to the Super Game Boy. Not sure on if the GBC could utilise that or not though.
The equivalent today would be if "cross-gen" PS4 or Xbox One games could still be played on a PS3 or Xbox 360. It's not the same at all.

All GBC only games had a "Only for Game Boy Color" indicator on the front of the box, otherwise the expectation was the game would be playable on a regular GB. I think that shows their intent pretty well.

The special palettes for older GB games I mentioned were programmed in the GBC firmware (and they're incompatible with SGB palettes). Never before has this much work been put into making older games forward compatible really, successor systems almost never go that far even when they are backwards compatible. At most they'll allow some upscaling, maybe button config, but not title specific reprogramming to use new features. This is really because Nintendo created GBC to be simply a color Game Boy, not a Game Boy successor. They had GBA in the wings for that. It wasn't until the market drove it that they decided to refocus on exclusive Color games and push back GBA. The fact they only put out four GBC exclusive games it's first year reflects that.

jts

...hate me...
It will, no worries

It won't, as most likely he's talking about the cradles:

3dscradle.jpg

I'm kinda glad I didn't pull the trigger on those.

Somnid

Also worth noting is that there were DSi enhanced titles as well. Pokemon Black and White being the most notable. Granted New 3DS is already dipping into CPP compatibles as well as Amiibo figurines which is a fairly big peripheral reduction but it might be the case it can run games with better framerates or something too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why would they put the sdcard slot behind screws? Maybe I missed someone pointing out where I'm wrong, but that just seems strange. Or are the covers pop-able without a screwdriver?

Why would they put the sdcard slot behind screws? Maybe I missed someone pointing out where I'm wrong, but that just seems strange. Or are the covers pop-able without a screwdriver?

Seems like you need a screwdriver.

I think their thought process was: now that we allow wireless transfer of media files to PC and back, people won't need to take it out as much. There are of course cases where you would need to, but at least it's not a bullshit screw, should be just a normal one

rekameohs

Banned
Seems like you need a screwdriver.

I think their thought process was: now that we allow wireless transfer of media files to PC and back, people won't need to take it out as much. There are of course cases where you would need to, but at least it's not a bullshit screw, should be just a normal one
I hope it's not the same screw as the GamePad's. I almost stripped one of them to replace the battery, even with a tiny #0 screwdriver.

sörine

Banned
I just hope Nintendo offers the new cradles here. It is bullshit that I had to import an XL cradle from Japan.
You can buy the XL cradle from Nintendo directly in America. It didn't get a wide release though, like the Circle Pad Pro/XL, Wii U High-Capacity Battery or Wii Remote Charger/Battery.

Zing

Banned
sörine;127860482 said:
You can buy the XL cradle from Nintendo directly in America. It didn't get a wide release though, like the Circle Pad Pro/XL, Wii U High-Capacity Battery or Wii Remote Charger/Battery.
Not any more you can't. I haven't seen it on the shop for months. I guess they ran out and just didn't care to restock.

Originally Posted by Refreshment.01
Btw, my prediction powers still have some juice left XD

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=108425892

Saw a post sugesting that a 3DS redesign is somewhat implausible to happen. On the other hand it seems quite counter productive for Nintendo not to do one.

For me the most obvious route is doing a model between the old one and XL. The hook could be a second circle pad and some extra hardware improvements to better handle the OS and Miiverse.

The slight input method boost could allow easier porting of PS2/Wii level type of game asuring a more stable flow of releases.

A redegin (a competent one of course) has the added advantage of selling to the base that already has the device and is interested in an upgrade.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=75716319

The 3DS has a very strong position from know till the end of the year. After that the only good move i see Nintendo doing is launching a redesign before the first half of 2014, that'll ensure a continuation of strong sales for the device coming to 2015.
Very nice! *borat voice* But to be fair, it wasn't hard to imagine Nintendo doing a design revision for the OG 3DS to match it more with the sleek looking XL.
Thanks XD

Yes, predicting a redesign is not a big deal but the details surrounding it and how it ties with their strategy was incredible accurate. Got right the extra inputs, a topic that at some point you would be called a madman to even suggest Nintendo should implement. The hardware improvements that would translate in better online capabilities (deemed worthwhile enough by Nintendo so they even advertised them openly) and the potential strategy of the company using ports of the 6th/7th generations home consoles to boost their software catalogue withouth investing too much resources, which most be quite scarce for them at the moment.

In relation to some people concerns and complaints this has a potentially positive outcome even to the owners of the old systems, in that it could re invigorate interest in the platform thus potentially extending the support from developers for far longer. i'll say is a better alternative than the Wii's case, in whcih NIntendo just let the platform to promptly walk into irrelaevancy with not a single fiber of effort put into it (Nintendo of America specially) Plus, it opens the chance to gain access of these improved models down the line. It could even significantly enhance the experience if the 3D effect is better, remember how handicaped this aspect of the console was and now there's a chance to at least get close to tap the potential.

I wonder if they're gonna "retire" the older versions of the consoles. Because if not then you have the 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, New 3DS and New 3DS XL all on the market at the same time.
The "new" line are the first revisions of the 3DS so you can bet on them replacing the original 3DS and XL. AT one point there would be no chance for "confusion" since the "new" would be the only available models in the 3DS line.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they start bringing Wii games to the new 3DS, that won't leave them with a home console to milk for 4DS ports.

Question for US GAF - if they bring the new 3DS over with purple buttons, would that put you off?

jts

...hate me...
I'd love that these new models greatly improve standby battery usage. It's ridiculous in the current models, including the XL.

Are they going to make us use a triwing/Nintendo screwdriver? They should package one in box if so :/

Would have preferred a back plate like the Galaxy S5 but it's a minor inconvenience

hwy_61

Banned
Are they going to make us use a triwing/Nintendo screwdriver? They should package one in box if so :/

Would have preferred a back plate like the Galaxy S5 but it's a minor inconvenience

I can't imagine a world where it isn't a pain in the ass to open Nintendo systems.

jts

...hate me...

No, they've said you just need a Philips #00.

Grief.exe

You're not a true Nintendo fan if you don't have a few extremely obscure screwdrivers near your collection ;)

flak57

sörine;127846910 said:
The equivalent today would be if "cross-gen" PS4 or Xbox One games could still be played on a PS3 or Xbox 360. It's not the same at all.

I didn't say "equivalent", I said it was "sort of" like a cross gen game which it is. The GBC was getting the superior version utilizing its new hardware.

sörine;127846910 said:
All GBC only games had a "Only for Game Boy Color" indicator on the front of the box, otherwise the expectation was the game would be playable on a regular GB. I think that shows their intent pretty well.

Again, even backwards compatible GBC games only say "Game Boy Color" on the front of the box, you know the area where you see "Playstation 4" and "Wii U", etc. This is the prime real estate space, you're being really obtuse not acknowledging how this is exactly like with a stand alone system. The backwards compatibility is a small blurb on the back of the box.

sörine;127846910 said:
The special palettes for older GB games I mentioned were programmed in the GBC firmware (and they're incompatible with SGB palettes). Never before has this much work been put into making older games forward compatible really, successor systems almost never go that far even when they are backwards compatible. At most they'll allow some upscaling, maybe button config, but not title specific reprogramming to use new features. This is really because Nintendo created GBC to be simply a color Game Boy, not a Game Boy successor. They had GBA in the wings for that. It wasn't until the market drove it that they decided to refocus on exclusive Color games and push back GBA. The fact they only put out four GBC exclusive games it's first year reflects that.

You're making a veeeerry weird leap in logic with this. GBA SP doesn't modify OG GBA games at all. And that means what?

Wil348

I actually think this is a pretty good redesign of the 3DS. Granted I think it's flat out crappy at how it requires you to have the new models for certain games, but as a revision itself, it does seem interesting.

Maybe I'll get one. I think I'd like to try getting the smaller one, I like the coloured buttons and it's cheaper. I just hope they've fixed the loose hinge issue from the original 3DS.

It sucks that you can only ever have a single active 3DS because of the account system garbage.

Why is it that the smaller model gets colored buttons / faceplates and the XL version doesn't?
Because it would make the decision too obvious if the XL had those things? Haha.

sörine

Banned
I didn't say "equivalent", I said it was "sort of" like a cross gen game which it is. The GBC was getting the superior version utilizing its new hardware.
It's not like it at all. It's 2 SKUs on 2 separate systems, which is nothing new. We've had that going back to the 1980s.

Again, even backwards compatible GBC games only say "Game Boy Color" on the front of the box, you know the area where you see "Playstation 4" and "Wii U", etc. This is the prime real estate space, you're being really obtuse not acknowledging how this is exactly like with a stand alone system. The backwards compatibility is a small blurb on the back of the box.
Right, because the understanding was all games would still be playable on every Game Boy. When Nintendo started introducing GBC games that wouldn't be backwards compatible they made sure to include extra branding on the box to indicate that and well as unique casing for the carts themselves. The standard was cross-compatible though, which is unheard of for a successor system. Because it wasn't planned as a successor system. Your PS4 games won't work on your PS3.

If Nintendo considered GBC a true successor they wouldn't lump it's figures together with GB. Just like they don't for NES & SNES, GB & GBA, DS & 3DS or Wii & Wii U. They do lump GB with GBC and DS with DSi though. And I'm sure they'll do the same for 3DS and New 3DS.

You're making a veeeerry weird leap in logic with this. GBA SP doesn't modify OG GBA games at all. And that means what?
Who's talking about GBA? I'm talking about a colored Game Boy that colorizes all your old Nintendo Game Boy games.

markot

Banned
I think I prefer the normal size 3ds. The pixel size on the larger models is too much.

So Im going back to regular when this comes out.

Top Bottom