• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

Zing

Banned
I recently tried Super Mario 64 DS. It felt pointless. I still consider the N64 game one of the best ever made. The DS version just felt wrong.

Maybe it was "better" back when the DS was desperate for titles and everyone had the thumb nub on the wrist strap.

ASIS

so we went from this:

DSlogo.jpg

to this:

ScreenShot2014-08-31at61949AM_zps139102e1.png

I swear sometimes I wonder who is in charge of the logo/branding of these consoles.

If that right thumb pad feels good, might have to make this the first Nintendo purchase I've made in a long time. Still need to compile a list of games I would play on it though, so I could justify owning the thing.

Questions [help a Nintendo n00b out]:

1) Can I download Nintendo DS games for a N3DS via the eShop?

2) If I'm planning to go all-digital, are there some major games I'm gonna be missing out on?

3) Do sales in the eShop happen as often as sales on PSN/XBL?

Nikokuno

Ocarina of time 3d ran MUCH better than its N64 counterpart on top of all if it's visual improvements. Watchu talkin bout son?

Porting Wii games this way is dumb, it's like porting SM64 on DS and make it feel worst than the old version (it's like playing PAL game when you used to NTSC pace) same with if OOT3D being slower than the 64 version (it's hard to match this, how people bought this game back in the day).

I'm saying that SM64 and OOT3D are good port when DKCR3D feels like a downgraded version instead of being an enhanced version. Sorry if my sentence misleading you both.

Santiako

If that right thumb pad feels good, might have to make this the first Nintendo purchase I've made in a long time. Still need to compile a list of games I would play on it though, so I could justify owning the thing.

2) If I'm planning to go all-digital, are there some major games I'm gonna be missing out on?

No.
Yes.
Yes, every week, but they are usually shite.

sörine

Banned
DKCR3D
Wii : 60fps
3DS : 30fps

Porting Wii games this way is dumb, it's like porting SM64 on DS and make it feel worst than the old version (it's like playing PAL game when you used to NTSC pace) same with if OOT3D being slower than the 64 version (it's hard to match this, how people bought this game back in the day).
Wait, what? DKCR3D is slower but Mario 64 DS and OOT 3D both ran at faster framerates than the N64 versions.

kasane

Just heard this

IS IT THAT HARD TO ADD A PROPER RIGHTSTICK????

If they did this i would prolly use my 3ds more than my vita

1) No

2) Eh..... describe major? I think all the major ones are up. Only things I can think of are Theatrhythm, Tales of the Abyss, and Kingdom Hearts. Plus a few smaller games (like Shinobi) but nothing I would count as "major". It's got the games you'll want to play, how about that?

4) There's weekly deals, but they're mostly bad. Atlus games go on sale a lot, as is tradition.

18-Volt

Just heard this

IS IT THAT HARD TO ADD A PROPER RIGHTSTICK????

If they did this i would prolly use my 3ds more than my vita

Yes it is that hard. Either second stick or ABXY buttons would be below and that would cause very serious difficulties holding the device.

wilflare

curious why they don't make the screen and touchscreen 1:1...

hmm anyone else coming from a 3DSXL and will be picking the new 3DS over the new 3DSXL?

javac

sörine;127781384 said:
Wait, what? DKCR3D is slower but Mario 64 DS and OOT 3D both ran at faster framerates than the N64 versions.

That's what he's saying. He's saying that ports like DKCR 3D being inferior to the Wii counterpart (in terms of fps at least, the game imo is a great port) would be like OoT3D and SM64DS being inferior than their original incarnations...but they weren't which is a good thing and thus what Nintendo should be aiming for. Up ports not down ports as such.

Ghazi

hmm anyone else coming from a 3DSXL and will be picking the new 3DS over the new 3DSXL?
I'm considering it. I want the portability the smaller one entails, but the screen is supposedly larger on the n3DS than the normal 3DS screen. Faceplates are nice, too.

Loofy

I wonder if Nintendo will take the risk and have a new pokemon exclusive to the new 3DS.
3D enabled towns aww yeeah.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Nice accusation

I used the word more
Oh, so you just buy games and don't play them enough? The lack of another PROPER circle pad skews you to not play your 3DS even though you may enjoy the games, regardless if they need it or not.

sörine

Banned
That's what he's saying. He's saying that ports like DKCR 3D being inferior to the Wii counterpart (in terms of fps at least, the game imo is a great port) would be like OoT3D and SM64DS being inferior than their original incarnations...but they weren't which is a good thing and thus what Nintendo should be aiming for. Up ports not down ports as such.
Oh, I got that backwards. Sorry.

yep like the layout for n3DS for the smaller models and the screen has been increased a bit by size anyways so.

And I like that white color

Caelus

I wonder if Nintendo will take the risk and have a new pokemon exclusive to the new 3DS.
3D enabled towns aww yeeah.

Why? They can have the game be n3DS enhanced with 3D enabled towns, it's not like there's going to be a huge graphics update.

sörine

Banned
By the way, have any 3DS games yet been confirmed to be NN3DS enhanced? I know they showed MH3U, DQX, FF Exmplorers and Smash Bros in the Direct promo but I assumed that was just for extra controls or Amiibo, both of which should be doable on regular 3DSes with add-ons. Were they confirmed to have anything more?

HUELEN10

A question to those that call this a revision:

Was the GBC a revision to you, or a successor? I know no one IRL that would not call the GBC a successor; I also don't see how one could call that a successor, and not call the DSi a successor as well, the parallels are just to uncanny to accept one and deny the other. I won't go any further than that here as I don't want to derail the thread (this should be discussed in a different thread instead), but it is one of those things that doesn't make sense to most of my friends and I.

sörine

Banned

Was the GBC a revision to you, or a successor?
I'd call GBC, DSi and NN3DS revisions. Same brand, same architecture, mostly the same games.

I'd call GBA, DS and 3DS successors.

I'd call Wii a revision in successor's clothing.

Okay, I know I'm not well known on these boards but I wanna go ahead and say what I have to say to all you here in this thread but I wanna make one thing clear, I'm not here to damage control anything or give false hope. This is just nothing more then me trying to piece together some of the missing stuff we are not seeing.

Okay, so with this new model coming out next year in NA and by this time the 3DS will have been out for 4 years. Now, the reason I say this is because I believe with Nintendo adding an upgrade to the hardware for this revision is because they want to extend the life line of the 3DS so it ends along side the Wii U for when there next gen system comes out. Remember this article or one like it?

http://nintendonews.com/2014/06/miyamoto-unified-platform-development/

Now, this make sense since this new building that opened up and ready to be open for next year, if I'm not mistaken but didn't they make this building to have both handheld and console developers to be able to get products done at a fast rate? If this is true, this is just start of what Nintendo has in store for there next gen system. This is just going to be a small taste for whats in store.

Now as for those exclusive titles, here is my theory on this. With the announcement of Xenoblade Chronicles,. which is just the port version of the Wii, I bet you anything that there is going to be ether a Xenoblade Chronicles X that comes bundle with the first Xenoblade game or there going to release a remastered HD version of it since not all gamers who wanted to play Xenoblade had a chance to play it like myself thanks to it being Gamestop ONLY retail. The reason I bring this up is, because I think that the games that will come to this new model as an exclusive, will also be games that will come to the Wii U as well. The 3DS version will just be downgraded ports.

That's my thoughts and theory on this whole matter. I know prob wrong here but I just wanted to give my two cents.

Apologies in advance if this has been talked about, debunked. Just wanted to get in on the convo.

donny2112

sörine;127786745 said:
I'd call Wii a revision in successor's clothing.

Makes sense. ~2x as powerful, and they did try to get the Wiimote working on the GameCube before going on to Wii. So GameCube sold ~120 million worldwide, trouncing Xbox and nearly getting up to PS2 levels! Way to go, Nintendo!!!!

Was the GBC a revision to you, or a successor? I know no one IRL that would not call the GBC a successor; I also don't see how one could call that a successor, and not call the DSi a successor as well, the parallels are just to uncanny to accept one and deny the other. I won't go any further than that here as I don't want to derail the thread (this should be discussed in a different thread instead), but it is one of those things that doesn't make sense to most of my friends and I.

GBC felt like a successor because it was the first major system upgrade in close to ten years. Color at the time felt dramatically different than minor under the hood spec bumps that improve download performance. GBC saw a major launch with its own launch lineup. Technically was it a successor? Probably not, but for those who remember the launch would remember it differently.

sörine

Banned
Makes sense. ~2x as powerful, and they did try to get the Wiimote working on the GameCube before going on to Wii. So GameCube sold ~120 million worldwide, trouncing Xbox and nearly getting up to PS2 levels! Way to go, Nintendo!!!!
One Wii = Two Gamecubes plus duct tape

Really it's like Gamecube sold 220 million. Best selling console in history!

GBC felt like a successor because it was the first major system upgrade in close to ten years. Color at the time felt dramatically different than minor under the hood spec bumps that improve download performance. GBC saw a major launch with its own launch lineup. Technically was it a successor? Probably not, but for those who remember the launch would remember it differently.
I remember the launch. It was sold as a colorized Game Boy (a lot of the push being playing old games like Metroid 2 and Mario Land in color now) and all the launch games were still playable on my (2 year old) GB Pocket. It was advertised alongside Pokémon Red and Blue mainly. I still got one and Tetris DX/LADX but at the time everyone knew the 32bit Project Atlantis was only a year or so away.

RM8

GBC was a successor, but a rather short-lived one that shared most of its software with the original GB. DSi and New 3DS? I don't even know how they can be considered the same. They're literally the same as the previous models, with extra features that, yes, allow for some exclusives.

And no, Wii was a successor, period.

I'll be honest, I do personally see the GBC as a successor. The waters are muddied a bit with some GBC games being playable on a normal GB, but other than that, but in my mind it was the generational successor. However, I totally get why Nintendo considers it a revision.

The DSi I consider just a revision with some extra perks on top of it.

The problem with asking a question like that is that it's all in hindsight. If the GBC never took off and most games after its launch were still GB-only, I might see it as a revision. If the DSi-only software market soared and I felt actively handicapped by sticking with my DS Lite, I may consider that a successor. It's about market adoption.

As of this exact moment, I consider the n3DS a revision for two reasons: I don't predict the n3DS-only market will be a big one, and I know that the next generation handheld is going to be out in a couple years, meaning there isn't enough time for this to be the real successor.

Pikma

Banned

Well I have two 3DS, an OG and an XL, so I'll upgrade both by picking up one of each :p

Won't sell my old units though, I love them too much

The problem with asking a question like that is that it's all in hindsight. If the GBC never took off and most games after its launch were still GB-only, I might see it as a revision. If the DSi-only software market soared and I felt actively handicapped by sticking with my DS Lite, I may consider that a successor. It's about market adoption.

As of this exact moment, I consider the n3DS a revision for two reasons: I don't predict the n3DS-only market will be a big one, and I know that the next generation handheld is going to be out in a couple years, meaning there isn't enough time for this to be the real successor.

Totally agree with you. In my opinion the revision vs. successor debate is not based on hardware, but software.

GBC = Successor

DSi = Revision

n3DS? Time will tell. If Xenoblade Chronicles is the outlier, and 99% of games still work across systems it will be a revision. However, if Majora's Mask, Pokemon Z, Super Mario Galaxy remaster, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, F-Zero and other titles appear for the new 3DS I'd consider the system a successor.

Based solely on Hardware, the DS is a revision of the GBA, the 3DS of the DS, the
Wii of the Gamecube, and the WiiU of the Wii, which I don't agree with at all

If this is a successor it's going to be the most unsuccessful one Nintendo has ever had.

I also don't consider the GBC a real successor. When it's biggest advertised game (Gold and Silver) could also be played through fine on the OG than it really was more of a stop gap. Actually the new 3DS and GBC probably have more in common than I originally thought. Nintendo probably expects this thing to extend the 3DS life about the same 3 years.

sörine;127787825 said:
One Wii = Two Gamecubes plus duct tape

Really it's like Gamecube sold 220 million. Best selling console in history!

I remember the launch. It was sold as a colorized Game Boy (a lot of the push being playing old games like Metroid 2 and Mario Land in color now) and all the launch games were still playable on my (2 year old) GB Pocket. It was advertised alongside Pokémon Red and Blue mainly. I still got one and Tetris DX/LADX but at the time everyone knew the 32bit Project Atlantis was only a year or so away.

What? I still have Nintendo Power, EGM, and other magazines of the time with ads all over for the system. It was predominately advertised with Zelda DX, Game and Watch Gallery 2, and Tetris DX. With color references to Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow. Game and Watch referenced Mario heavily.

sörine

Banned
I'll be honest, I do personally see the GBC as a successor. The waters are muddied a bit with some GBC games being playable on a normal GB, but other than that, but in my mind it was the generational successor. However, I totally get why Nintendo considers it a revision.

The DSi I consider just a revision with some extra perks on top of it.

This is probably the best answer on this although I still don't totally agree. I'm uncomfortable with the "doesn't count" hahdwaving of over 550 DSiWare games, which in reality is more exclusives than GBC saw (or NN3DS is likely to see).

Based solely on Hardware, the DS is a revision of the GBA, the 3DS of the DS, the Wii of the Gamecube, and the WiiU of the Wii, which I don't agree with at all
You're confusing some stuff in there. While DS, 3DS and Wii U all feature hardware supported backwards compatibility they're actually new architectures with unique chipsets. SNES technically was initially designed in this way too, although backwards compatibility with NES was eventually dropped for it.

GBC, Wii, DSi and (presumably) NN3DS are recycled architectures with updated chipsets. They're not entirely different from the previous hardware designs, usually just faster, more energy efficient and with a lot more memory.

sörine;127791368 said:
This is probably the best answer on this although I still don't totally agree. I'm uncomfortable with the "doesn't count" hahdwaving of over 550 DSiWare games, which in reality is more exclusives than GBC saw (or NN3DS is likely to see.

I wasn't handwaving those games, sorry if it seemed like I was. I was only speaking from personal experience: I never felt handicapped by sticking with a DS Lite. If the DSi-only software had a stronger retail presence, I probably would have. If there were large portions of Pokemon Black and White, for instance, which were altered on a DSi, I might have. The 550+ games absolutely do count, but I'm sure you also understand the difference between a small downloadable exclusive and a retail one that Nintendo or a major third party publisher is pushing. It's all a part of mindshare.

Muzy72

Banned
Bleh, why can't there be a standard n3DS that looks like the metallic blue XL. I really want the standard size n3DS but I find the two tone thing to be ugly, and I don't care for custom plates. That metallic blue looks so damn good.

sörine

Banned
I wasn't handwaving those games, sorry if it seemed like I was. I was only speaking from personal experience: I never felt handicapped by sticking with a DS Lite. If the DSi-only software had a stronger retail presence, I probably would have. If there were large portions of Pokemon Black and White, for instance, which were altered on a DSi, I might have. The 550+ games absolutely do count, but I'm sure you also understand the difference between a small downloadable exclusive and a retail one that Nintendo or a major third party publisher is pushing. It's all a part of mindshare.
Well, GBC Shantae is better than DSi Shantae. I'll give you that at least.

Nintendo was pretty light on DSi retail game presence too. As far as I can tell the only DSi enhanced 1st party releases were Pokémon Black/White 1-2, Pokémon Conquest, Fossil Fighters Champions, Mario Vs DK 3, the Fire Emblem 3 remake, Art Academy and the two Cooking Guide games. Oh and Solatorobo which NOE picked up. Overall there were less than a hundred DSi enhanced games total and a huge chuck of that was kids licensed or non-game shovelware.

sörine;127793264 said:

Nintendo was pretty light on DSi retail game presence too. As far as I can tell the only DSi enhanced 1st party releases were Pokémon Black/White 1-2, Pokémon Conquest, Fossil Fighters Champions, Mario Vs DK 3, the Fire Emblem 3 remake, Art Academy and the two Cooking Guide games. Oh and Solatorobo which NOE picked up. Overall there were less than a hundred DSi enhanced games total and a huge chuck of that was kids licensed or non-game shovelware.

Exactly. My overall point was: if there was a gigantic boom, and every game was DSi enhanced or even a full DSi exclusive game after that launch, I may presently consider that a successor, not a revision. But my opinion is formed by hindsight, and hindsight tells me that while the DSi systems sold a lot, the retail software presence was not there. The GBC retail software presence was there, and that's why in this kooky brain of mine, the GBC can be counted as a successor more than the DSi can (though I still get why Nintendo calls it a revision).

It is too soon right now to see if the n3DS will wind up successor or revision. It's clearly placed to be a revision by Nintendo. I fully think it is a revision, but in all honesty, who knows. Maybe it does so well the delay the 4DS a year to capitalize on it.

L~A

sörine;127793264 said:

Yeah, there wasn't even any actual exclusive for the DSi, other than the DSiWare stuff. I'm not sure Nintendo really cared, actually, as their focus was on the DSiWare and enhanced retail games.

Which is why the XC exclusivity is really special: there's no doubt the OG 3DS can't possibly dream of running it (N3DS seem to be struggling a bit too). Personally, I'm not expecting lots of exclusives, N3DS is just there to make sure the 3DS keep on selling until their next handheld ready (I'd say not before 2016, my money is still on early 2016).

Top Bottom