• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

Zing

Banned
Soooo.....anybody else under whelmed? I was hoping for a much bigger change with their new hand held....

Nope. If I had been able to design my own ideal system, it wouldn't be as good as what they have shown.

What is with the huge negativity surrounding this? I cannot imagine being in 1998 and seeing someone write or say, "anybody else underwhelmed?" about the new game boy. What is wrong with kids these days? No one saw the DS Lite and said, "that's it?"

Plastic and non-telescoping
photo_3ds_01_wmcs1e.jpg
XpuJf.gif

Thanks for pointing out the image. Sad thing is that I had seen that image already, but my brain filed it under the XL section for some reason.

Soooo.....anybody else under whelmed? I was hoping for a much bigger change with their new hand held....
I don't think they're trying to market this as their new generation of handhelds at all...

I'd say it's more of a half-step meant to extend the life of the already fading 3DS (the Japanese numbers this year have been atrocious). Even though they are saying there will be exclusive software, I really don't think they plan to release new Mario kart level software. I'm expecting future titles (especially eshop titles) to run better on the NEW 3DS and probably more Wii ports. The 3DS's CPU was the main reason Wii ports were an issue (and seemingly the bottleneck for the GPU in general) so now that the issue is gone they can recycle Wii assets and engines for a little longer.

Regardless, I'll be there day one because of the huge update to the device's functionality and control inputs.

HUELEN10

You're aware that this isn't a "new" handheld, but rather a revision of an existing one right?
This isn't a revision, it's a successor.

Calling this a revision is as foolhardy as calling the GBC, and the DSi revisions.

Yes, you can have a successor within the same generation, DSi is proof of this. It's not a mind-blowing successor, but is successor nonetheless.

Kolgar

I expect a revision to not be able to play games my current hardware can't.

This is a half-step successor, and it puts current owners in a bit of a lurch.

Calling this a revision is as foolhardy as calling the GBC, and the DSi revisions.

Yes, you can have a successor within the same generation, DSi is proof of this. It's not a mind-blowing successor, but is successor nonetheless.

It's not a successor, it's a new 3DS

Mortemis

Banned

No, calling this and the DSi a successor is incredibly confusing and foolhardy. A successor would mean a new generation, this is a small bump with a few new features. Nothing like a successor.

I love the look of the console and I'll definitely get one, but can we agree that Nintendo really need to work on their messaging. There's always so much confusion when they announce new hardware.

watershed

Banned

Is this a semantic argument or do you really believe this is an all new system. It's not, it's a new device within the same eco-system or hardware family, in this case the 3ds hardware family.

MicH

Kind of annoyed that the backplates are screwed in place. I was hoping you could just snap it off and on. This makes it such a pain to switch the micro SD card. Also, the transfer thingy only works with Windows? Ughh.
Much better way to upload photos and I hope they make it compatible with Mac as well.

Really liking the text free back on the regular n3DS!

P44

The DSi was a revision, as is this. The jump in featureset and/or power is nowehere near significant enough to validate calling it a successor. It won't be marketed as a successor.

Semantically I'll admit it can be considered a successor, but in real practical terms, it's a revision.

And it's a giant waste of money. The 3DS has two or three years left in it max, and 3DS releases have already begun drying up. With the third parties ignoring the machine anyway and as Nintendo begins to commit more resources for the true heir to the throne, the games for this machine will be a slim dribble. If you were a third party developer you would have to be mad to target the new SKU.

L~A

So do we have guess/estimates for US prices of these?

Japanese price for the N3DSLL is pretty much the same as the OG 3DS LL, so I guess it'll be roughly the same. For the N3DS, I believe it's a tad more expensive, though.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I really don't like the stylus placement, it looks like it's going to be weird and cumbersome. Not happy about the cartridge slot being moved, but it doesn't look too weird. I also really liked the uniformity of all the buttons being the same color before. The SNES button colors look kind of clowny in these images, I'm hoping they'll look better in person. I'm also reserving judgement on the new position of the power button, it looks like it could very easily be accidentally turned off, but I'll have to experience it to know.

those dual triggers look super uncomfy to utilize
I don't think it will be bad at all. Use the tips of your fingers for the Z buttons, the middle knuckle for the R/L buttons. I think you'll be surprised.

Not

Banned
Awww man, so wait they're saying some of the new games like Xenoblade will only be playable on this one? Are you shittin' me?

Volotaire

Does anyone know if these are going to be playable at TGS? I'd love to hear and see some hands-on impressions.

Nintendo don't usually attend TGS (last time was 2005?) so maybe no. Hopefully some third parties will have some of the 'New' 3DS on the showfloor in place of them, like MH , etc.

Pikma

Banned
The Z buttons remind me of the original Classic Controller for Wii, and I didn't have any problems with it, so I'm pretty positive about how it'll end up.

Nikokuno

In term of gameplay I think the addition on the 3 buttons especially the will be sort of game changer but I wonder if games will use it correctly I mean I heard that this buttons come from the Circle Pad Pro but for the moment only MH use them all, right?

Second Circle Pad for games like KH3D or KIU : OK but what about ZL and ZR in those games?

shira

So do we have guess/estimates for US prices of these?

It has to replace the current price with a decrease on the old 3DS and XL.

If they are Appleing, they have to Apple. You can't have a $250-300 handheld. That's fail terrority.

It has to replace the current price with a decrease on the old 3DS and XL.

If they are Appleing, they have to Apple. You can't have a $250-300 handheld. That's fail terrority.

Based on the Japanese prices, I think it's going to replace the old models at retail.

rpmurphy

Awww man, so wait they're saying some of the new games like Xenoblade will only be playable on this one? Are you shittin' me?
Gotta upgrade, yep. You can, of course, wait and see if you want to, since we will have to see if the number of games that will take advantage of the bumped up hardware specs may or may not be many. Maybe hope for backward-compatibility in the next generation handheld.

I have had the OG 3DS for almost 3 years nowhere, so it's a welcome upgrade to me... I've been waiting for an OG 3DS revision since like last year and all we got then was the 2DS.

18-Volt

From left to right equivalents -

1. Original 3DS game, works on both, no actual benefits on new console as it wasn't designed to take it into account, however just like how OG GB games displayed in limited colour on the GBC, standard 3DS games have the benefit of better 3D on a New 3DS. That's a selling point.

2. The NEW 3DS ENHANCED game, which plays on both units but has better performance and extra features on the New 3DS - Majora's Mask 3D and the next Pokemon would be great examples, with perks such as 60fps on the New 3DS and extra camera control. In terms of the GBC, Wario Land 2 contained two versions of the game - one for the GBC and one for the GB, and it switched depending on what console you were on (on a GBC it is full colour and has no slowdown).

3. Finally on the right we have the New 3DS ONLY games, such as Xenoblade which would not ever be possible on the original hardware. Wario Land 3 is a fucking gigantic game with graphical effects that would have been impossible on the original GB.

I still think it's a toss up over whether Majora's Mask will be option 2 or 3. I have a feeling it may be 3, which is why we haven't seen it yet....Grezzo/Nintendo were restrained heavily on OOT 3D due to its classic status (Miyamoto demanded they make the music sound exactly the same as on the N64, for example). Majora's Mask doesn't share that "untouchable" quality, so I feel like they're going to go all out and have it as a NEW 3DS showpiece.

Majora's Mask was a N64 game, it was possible even on the original DS. If there's gonna be a New 3DS exclusive game, that would be Twilight Princess. If this new hardware allows Wii ports I expect more Wii ports from Nintendo. They're too busy with future consoles and QoL, so ports are best way to support the system. Twilight Princess, SMG 1 and 2 (though I prefer them in HD), Sin&Punishment 2, The Last Story, Pandora's Box and of course Skyward Sword.

In the end 3DS will be "system with every single f**king Legend of Zelda game available on"

Majora's Mask was a N64 game, it was possible even on the original DS. If there's gonna be a New 3DS exclusive game, that would be Twilight Princess. If this new hardware allows Wii ports I expect more Wii ports from Nintendo. They're too busy with future consoles and QoL, so ports are best way to support the system. Twilight Princess, SMG 1 and 2 (though I prefer them in HD), Sin&Punishment 2, The Last Story, Pandora's Box and of course Skyward Sword.

In the end 3DS will be "system with every single f**king Legend of Zelda game available on"

The OG 3DS already got Wii Ports, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and an upgraded version of Monster Hunter Tri. This is only enhancing what was already possible.

Cipherr

The hell is this? Like everything in this post is wrong... The DSi is exactly a revision... like literally.

... i dont know whether to laugh my ass of or shake my head in disappointment.

Definitely laugh. Guy just called the DSi the DS's successor console. Even if he is just a casual observer of the industry (which he absolutely is not) thats pure lunacy.

Nikokuno

The OG 3DS already got Wii Ports, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and an upgraded version of Monster Hunter Tri. This is only enhancing what was already possible.

DKCR3D
Wii : 60fps
3DS : 30fps

Porting Wii games this way is dumb, it's like porting SM64 on DS and make it feel worst than the old version (it's like playing PAL game when you used to NTSC pace) same with if OOT3D being slower than the 64 version (it's hard to match this, how people bought this game back in the day).

Neo Child

Banned
DKCR3D

Porting Wii games this way is dumb, it's like porting SM64 on DS and make it feel worst than the old version (it's like playing PAL game when you used to NTSC pace) same with if OOT3D being slower than the 64 version (it's hard to match this, how people bought this game back in the day).

SM64 DS is a great enhanced port

OoT3D is super slick silly

chadboban

DKCR3D

Ocarina of time 3d ran MUCH better than its N64 counterpart on top of all if it's visual improvements. Watchu talkin bout son?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So do we know any actual SoC info? I know the homebrew scene said the OG SoC was running those dual mpcore ARM 11s clocked at 268 with the PICA 200 being clocked the same.

Early rumors have stated that it's a same design just with higher clock rates on the ARM 11 (basically double) while keeping the PICA 200 clocked the same.

I know there are battery life concerns but I'd have to think we'd be getting a SoC die shrink. Why wouldn't you bump up the PICA GPU which was already clocked low to begin with? Not that you'd have to keep step with the CPU, but even a small bump could wonders.

I also wonder if or how much the PICA 200 was bottlenecked by the OG 3ds CPU clock speeds. Maybe beyond the bump CPU wise to speed up OS functionality they figured it would also help alleviate a current bottleneck so no need to mess with the GPU as they wanted to increase battery life.

Still baffles me if it's just an over clock on the CPU side if the current SoC why they wouldn't touch the GPU at all considering it's low clocked to begin with. Not like they were pushing boundaries.

Top Bottom