• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft to require loot box odds disclosure

Loot box odds disclosure sounds...

• Awesome!

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • Just fine.

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Unnecessary.

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

iconmaster

Banned
ESA says platform holders will roll out new policy that would apply to new games and updates that add loot box features

"That said, we are doing more," [Entertainment Software Association chief counsel of tech policy Michael] Warnecke said. "I'm pleased to announce this morning that Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony have indicated to ESA a commitment to new platform policies with respect to the use of paid loot boxes in games that are developed for their platform. Specifically, this would apply to new games and game updates that add loot box features. And it would require the disclosure of the relative rarity or probabilities of obtaining randomized virtual items in games that are available on their platforms.

"As well, many of the leading video game publishers of the Entertainment Software Association have decided that they are going to implement a similar approach at the publisher level to provide consumers this information and give them enhanced information to make purchase decisions."

Good new or great news?

They should be gone. Plain and simple. Wasn't the ESA in favor of lootboxes? And what is the ESA really? A lobbying association with all the big publishers on board. As if something will change.

johntown

Banned
I suppose it would nice to know the if I have better odds of winning Mega Millions then getting certain loot.

mcz117chief

I enjoy lootboxes as a concept myself. It all depends on how you implement them. I really like them in League of Legends where you earn them for being a positive team player, leveling up and participating in events. Buying them outright is a complete waste of money since they give you random stuff from the store so you can buy almost anything that is present in lootboxes. They work mostly to give non-paying players a chance to earn some skins and for paying customers they really don't add that much. Unless you are a super whale who desperately wants that hex tech skin which requires 10 gemstones with a drop rate of about 4% per box, in which case get ready to be milked :)

cormack12

Gold Member
Actually EA already display them in FUT if you press R3

zdked0pyaw221.jpg

I mean, you can only see this as good, but ultimately it's down to presentation and packaging. They'll just widen and tighten the scopes so they 'look' more appealing but the data behind it will make sure there's not a massive gap or chance ratio. I don't think the problem is the ratio to be honest. I think the problem is the tracking. If you come up against someone with a dream team, if it said they had spent £500 and opened 650 packs then I'd laugh and be like 'fair play'. But it's suspicious when you see those odds and everyone is walking round with TOTT filled teams. There's just an element of distrust in the whole thing.

And anything in a loot box should be able to be directly bought. Getting locked out of content or timed rewards sucks ass.

Zenaku

So they'll basically copy Japan and China. We'll see developers try to get around it though.

Iirc, when China implemented the same for paid lootboxes, Blizzard changed Overwatch from buying lootboxes to buying in-game currency. With free lootboxes. That was enough to skirt around it and avoid revealing the odds. Not sure how Japans version works though.

Kagey K

Banned
What games by them have loot boxes that need to be addressed?

I get Nintendo with their few mobile games (Dr Mario, Pokémon Masters, Dragalia) but where are MS and Sony having to address them?

Last edited:

Petrae

The “Better than nothing” poll option is missing. Until the ESRB is rebuilt as an independent third-party regulator and begins to correctly rate games with these gambling mechanics as M (at the very least) or AO, this move is a token one at best.

TacosNSalsa

This is a step in the right direction but them offering to do it themselves seems suspect. They're heading the govt. off at the pass so they'll step back for a while till it hits a critical mass again .

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Apex Legends says I have like a 1 out of 4 chance at at least one epic (purple) item and I must get one every 10 packs at best.

Yumi

This is only beneficial. Thank jesus. Can't wait to see some of the odds. I wonder if anyone dares to show what I assume are rediculously low percentages. Looking at you Utimate Team.

FStubbs

They should be gone. Plain and simple. Wasn't the ESA in favor of lootboxes? And what is the ESA really? A lobbying association with all the big publishers on board. As if something will change.

If the ESA actually does any lobbying, after this past week companies should get their money back because boy did they fail.

Petrae

If the ESA actually does any lobbying, after this past week companies should get their money back because boy did they fail.

I’m rooting for the ESA to get destroyed by litigation resulting from its info dump/“leak”. It’s been a shit organization for years. The ESA and ESRB are industry pawns, with only corporate interests in mind.

The smart thing would be to spin off the ESRB as an independent entity. Its hands-off approach to MTX and lootboxes, save for a tiny content descriptor that one in a thousand consumers take time to look at, has been nothing short of worthless.

fourfourtwo

Neo Member
Neat.

It won't stop Karen from buying Call of Honor: Battlefront for Braxton and then finding a $300 charge on her Visa card for dance emotes.

Won't it? Some of the YouTubers who upload videos opening lootboxes may or may not know that their odds of getting rare items are improved by the developers. It's unlikely that young Braxton will be aware such skullduggery, and is proceeding encouraged to spend that $300.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The “Better than nothing” poll option is missing. Until the ESRB is rebuilt as an independent third-party regulator and begins to correctly rate games with these gambling mechanics as M (at the very least) or AO, this move is a token one at best.
Exactly. Though I would definitely go for AO.

I get Nintendo with their few mobile games (Dr Mario, Pokémon Masters, Dragalia) but where are MS and Sony having to address them?

This is about them requiring all Devs and publishers to show loot box odds when selling games on their platforms. Not just for first party games.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
For Microsoft, a big one would be the Forza series.

Three

MS have lootboxes in all their major games Forza/Gears/Halo.
This isn't about that though it's about the platform holders adding a policy for all games on their systems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom