• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo suspiciously dont have a Black Friday week game announced for Switch

Games never come out Black Friday week. Everything else is discounted that week so putting out a full price game is a great way to get ignored

Yeah this is my feeling... what prominent games have come out that week before? You'd have to figure they'd get ignored with all of the deals.

BiggNife

Nintendo doesn't really need a Switch release on Black Friday week. Mario is basically guaranteed to sell gangbusters for months, that shit is easily a system seller.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough, I reckon it'll be Skyrim then. Broad enough evergreen appeal to sit in the slot, people are still buying it six years after launch.

I agree. I think Skyrim is among the most likely to fill that slot (if any will).

Why do they need to release anything that week at all?

From what I can tell, Sony and MS don't have any games releasing that week either. In terms of major releases, Battlefront II is the only game I see and that's releasing the week before.

Black Friday is about getting previously released games for dirt cheap, not paying full price for new releases. We'll be lucky if we can get a few bucks off Mario Odyssey.

We'll probably see some sort of Switch bundle/discount and that's going to be good enough for most people.

Smash isn't coming this year. If it was we would already know about it.
1997 Diddy Kong Racing, 2007 Diddy Kong Racing DS, 2017 Diddy Kong Racing Switch ???

Just a dream.
If they were to drop a last minute game announcement for the year I could mayyyybe see this being it. Because if it was coming this year, I can imagine them not wanting to announce it till they figured the MK8D high wore down

We're due a Direct soon but they really don't need a big surprise game to do well on Black Friday. By that time, the biggest 3D Mario in years will be out and the overall library will still be coasting off newcomers picking up Zelda and Mario Kart
Do people still think Xenoblade 2 is actually still coming out this year? I am pulling for it but man, just don't see it happening.
It was just rated in Australia, it could totally make 2017. The game was much further along at reveal than it's predecessors.

We're due a Direct soon but they really don't need a big surprise game to do well on Black Friday. By that time, the biggest 3D Mario in years will be out and the overall library will still be coasting off newcomers picking up Zelda and Mario Kart

It was just rated in Australia, it could totally make 2017. The game was much further along at reveal than it's predecessors.

Yeah, I'd really like to see a direct on this. This is one of the games I bought a Switch for.

E3, PAX, Gamescom.

Yeah, I want some proper impressions from people who have put a few hours into the game. Fingers crossed for Gamescom.

So I guess Its happening? When the hell is Nintendo going to announce it? Also, where are some previews?

They announced the Holiday 2017 date at E3, but they don't have concrete dates for most Fall titles yet to begin with. I certainly don't see it missing 2017 at this point, though there's always a chance it happens.

Definitely need a Nintendo Direct soon. We still have a lot of titles that don't have dates. Skyrim, Rocket League, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, etc... are all still need launch dates unless I missed some of those. Maybe Nintendo is going to release a medium tier game like Xenoblade 2 or Fire Emblem in November and give some attention to key Third Parties like Skyrim, Rocket League, and the Resident Evil ports.

Either way hopefully we get a Direct soon so we know what to expect because there are quite a few titles I want to get but need to know the release schedule.

boiled goose

good with gravy
For purely reasons of limited manufacturing ability, I wouldn't be surprised to see the SNES Mini delayed. I'm guessing Nintendo's primary directive is to make as many Switches as possible.

Also, the Switch itself will be hard to find all year, especially around the holiday season. Nintendo doesn't need a doorbuster for Black Friday: a small surge in Switch availability will be more than enough.

Umm. Nintendo doesn't manufacture things themselves

jariw

You guys do know the SNES mini comes out september 29th, right?

And SNES Mini will be produced in such volumes for America that there will be units left for Black Friday? If that's the case, that seems to be a quite a different situation for the SNES Mini than for Europe.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Considering the FOMO rush on new Switch releases from Nintendo (even ARMS was hard to find the first week or so after release), Mario Odyssey is the Black Friday push, with the earlier release date giving them time to restock after the Nintendo faithful buy the stores out at launch.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Definitely need a Nintendo Direct soon. We still have a lot of titles that don't have dates. Skyrim, Rocket League, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, etc... are all still need launch dates unless I missed some of those. Maybe Nintendo is going to release a medium tier game like Xenoblade 2 or Fire Emblem in November and give some attention to key Third Parties like Skyrim, Rocket League, and the Resident Evil ports.

Either way hopefully we get a Direct soon so we know what to expect because there are quite a few titles I want to get but need to know the release schedule.

The third party point is a good one. What better way to secure ports than to guarantee prime Holiday release dates and co marketing.

The curious thing is to me. Why is there not more third-party games ready to release this fall.

Is this because :

1) Nintendo kept Switch secret for so long that not even 3rd parties knew until last October? There wasn't enough development time.
2) 3rd parties have no faith in Switch or Nintendo, and everyone waited until Nintendo proved the Switch was a success.
3) is it because Nintendos online is a mess and 3rd parties are waiting for Nintendo to correct this?

Even a non gamer could see that all systems need certain games to be successful in today's economic climate. You must have Minecraft, sport games, rpgs, family games, esportish games and shooters.

It will absolutely amaze me if there isn't a major 3rd party FPS for Switch this holiday season. Imo, that would be a tremendously wasted opportunity.

I still think the date is being saved for a 3rd party title. I also think skyrim releases in November.

I'm starting to feel that one of FE Warriors or xeno2 could slip into early 2018.

Velcro Fly

FE Warriors has a solid release date in Japan so I don't think it would slip to 2018.

I'm betting we still have a Direct coming to talk about stuff for the rest of this year and maybe give some more solid info on things coming early next year.

18-Volt

What's more suspicious is Nintendo's early 2018 lineup. there are 6 confirmed 2018 releases first and third party: Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Atelier Liddy, Lost Sphear and Dragon Quest Builders 2 and 3 unconfirmed ones: Pokémon, Metroid 4 and Dragon Quest 11.

You could say, there is going to be a direct this fall, and they could announce more for 2018. But could they really be out in first half of 2018? Maybe if they're smaller stuff like more Wii U remasters. But for bigger games like Animal Crossing or Retros new game, release date will definitely be in latter half of 2018.

I hope Nintendo isn't banking on 3rd parties, because guys like Capcom, Namco and Koei Tecmo are skipping Switch for most releases. I really want a 2018 full of Switch releases and it's up to Nintendo themselves to make this a reality.

What's more suspicious is Nintendo's early 2018 lineup. there are 6 confirmed 2018 releases first and third party: Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Atelier Liddy, Lost Sphear and Dragon Quest Builders 2 and 3 unconfirmed ones: Pokémon, Metroid 4 and Dragon Quest 11.

You could say, there is going to be a direct this fall, and they could announce more for 2018. But could they really be out in first half of 2018? Maybe if they're smaller stuff like more Wii U remasters. But for bigger games like Animal Crossing or Retros new game, release date will definitely be in latter half of 2018.

I hope Nintendo isn't banking on 3rd parties, because guys like Capcom, Namco and Koei Tecmo are skipping Switch for most releases. I really want a 2018 full of Switch releases and it's up to Nintendo themselves to make this a reality.

Their 2018 lineup is mostly set I would say. You probably see :

Kirby, yoshi, FE#, Mario Maker, Smash, Retro, Animal crossing a one or two more Wii U ports (Bayo, DK, SFzero, or FeSmt)

The wild cards are Pokémon and Metroid. I think they get Pokémon.

18-Volt

Their 2018 lineup is mostly set I would say. You probably see :

Kirby, yoshi, FE#, Mario Maker, Smash, Retro, Animal crossing a one or two more Wii U ports (Bayo, DK, SFzero, or FeSmt)

The wild cards are Pokémon and Metroid. I think they get Pokémon.

That's far from set, we have nothing but fan speculations for Smash, mario Maker and AC. For all we know, Nintendo could be doing Smash 5 instead of Smash last gen port, aimed at a 2019 release. Same goes for Animal Crossing. And Mario Maker switch does not make any sense at all, Nintendo themselves are against idea of games playable on only one orientation of the system (ie handheld only). Plus you'd need a stylus to play the game accurately.

If we have to speculate near future releases, I'd say Nintendo would depend on their close friends. Int Systems are currently working on Fire Emblem but they can take on two projects at same time, maybe a WarioWare game from them. AlphaDream is done with their latest game, M&L remake, maybe we'll see another M&L game from them for Switch. And there is old trustworthy Camelot. Mario sports games are perfect schedule fillers, it wouldn't surprise me if Mario Golf is part of Nintendo's 2018 lineup.

That's far from set, we have nothing but fan speculations for Smash, mario Maker and AC. For all we know, Nintendo could be doing Smash 5 instead of Smash last gen port, aimed at a 2019 release. Same goes for Animal Crossing. And Mario Maker switch does not make any sense at all, Nintendo themselves are against idea of games playable on only one orientation of the system (ie handheld only). Plus you'd need a stylus to play the game accurately.

If we have to speculate near future releases, I'd say Nintendo would depend on their close friends. Int Systems are currently working on Fire Emblem but they can take on two projects at same time, maybe a WarioWare game from them. AlphaDream is done with their latest game, M&L remake, maybe we'll see another M&L game from them for Switch. And there is old trustworthy Camelot. Mario sports games are perfect schedule fillers, it wouldn't surprise me if Mario Golf is part of Nintendo's 2018 lineup.

Mario Maker isn't handheld only...it works when the Switch is docked. 😑

It's like you don't know how Nintendo works. Nintendo can announce a brand new game that releases two months from now. They will have a November/December direct to discuss the Spring 2018 games. This isn't new for them.

Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Skyrim (Nintendo-published on Switch) are all simply dated as "Holiday 2017," so it will likely be one of them.

18-Volt

Mario Maker isn't handheld only...it works when the Switch is docked. 😑

It's like you don't know how Nintendo works. Nintendo can announce a brand new game that releases two months from now. They will have a November/December direct to discuss the Spring 2018 games. This isn't new for them.

You'd need touchscreen to create levels. how can you access the touchscreen when docked? The most important part of the game would be handheld exclusive.

Also releasing a game couple of months after the initial reveal isn't something Nintendo would do. They always have significant amount of time between announcement and release to build up some hype around the game. If there will be some new game announcements at next Direct for spring 2018 release, it could be something small and insignificant, like Mario Golf or Mario Party.

Top Bottom