• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo suspiciously dont have a Black Friday week game announced for Switch

I actually really hope for a surprise game. Hell even Smash 4 with all the 2 versions contents would be fine by me.

You'd need touchscreen to create levels. how can you access the touchscreen when docked? The most important part of the game would be handheld exclusive.

Why is this even an argument??? Whats wrong with using the dpad and A button to place tiles and shit? Are we forgetting Little Big Planet, the game that can be other games, uses a controller just fine and is infinitely more complex than Mario Maker will ever be?

You guys do know the SNES mini comes out september 29th, right?

Lmao I was confused when I saw people talking about SNES mini. Thought I had the date wrong.

You'd need touchscreen to create levels. how can you access the touchscreen when docked? The most important part of the game would be handheld exclusive.

Also releasing a game couple of months after the initial reveal isn't something Nintendo would do. They always have significant amount of time between announcement and release to build up some hype around the game. If there will be some new game announcements at next Direct for spring 2018 release, it could be something small and insignificant, like Mario Golf or Mario Party.

Mario Golf or Mario Party aren't small if they're good games. Mario Party on Wii U sold over a million. I want a new Mario Party, if it's like the original. I'll take some small eshop games. We'll see if we get more third party support for early 2018.

Nintendo can make Mario Maker work when it's docked. No, it's not as good as using touchscreen, but they can use the stick, use the pointer in the right joycon or create a Mario Maker app for the Nintendo Switch online app and you can design the levels on your phone/tablet to play on the Switch.

Tesser

I doubt we'll get anything Smash-related this year, announcement or actual game release. If they have something in the pipeline that's not Smash 5 - which I imagine could be revealed during E3 next year - they'll likely announce a tide-me-over beforehand. If so, based on what I've seen during Twitch and Direct livestreams, I look forward to the internet's reaction when
Brawl
HD is finally unveiled.

All their big games for this year are pretty much laid out on the table already. If we do get anymore Switch announcements it'll either be small eShop games or games set for 2018. What you see is what you're getting now.

That's far from set, we have nothing but fan speculations for Smash, mario Maker and AC. For all we know, Nintendo could be doing Smash 5 instead of Smash last gen port, aimed at a 2019 release. Same goes for Animal Crossing. And Mario Maker switch does not make any sense at all, Nintendo themselves are against idea of games playable on only one orientation of the system (ie handheld only). Plus you'd need a stylus to play the game accurately.

If we have to speculate near future releases, I'd say Nintendo would depend on their close friends. Int Systems are currently working on Fire Emblem but they can take on two projects at same time, maybe a WarioWare game from them. AlphaDream is done with their latest game, M&L remake, maybe we'll see another M&L game from them for Switch. And there is old trustworthy Camelot. Mario sports games are perfect schedule fillers, it wouldn't surprise me if Mario Golf is part of Nintendo's 2018 lineup.

Because all their big games are laid out for 2017, I expect a big third party game to be announced for Switch. Activision has not shown anything yet. Skylanders doesn't count for to much. Is Activision not supporting Switch? I think that it is unlikely.

Ea has "maybe another couple games" in the works. Madden is a given. But what about PvZ:GW? That seems like a perfect fit.

The third party point is a good one. What better way to secure ports than to guarantee prime Holiday release dates and co marketing.

I think it's a prime year to do it also. They are almost assured to sell as much hardware as they can produce anyway. Mario Odyssey will probably sell just as good in October and November as it would in November and giving more of the spotlight to titles like Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, and Rocket League will probably be beneficial to those titles as well. I'm not sure there is too much of a downside in doing so this year.

Isn't this kind of Sony's strategy now, except theirs is more extreme? They "clear out" their big games in the holidays/fall for third party devs to shine?

Maybe Nintendo will take this approach somewhat with leaving November open for a couple of third party games.

EraErr0r1

With the blockbuster release of Super Mario Odyssey happening a mere couple of weeks beforehand, I honestly don't see the need for another physical release so close to it.

The only method I can see Nintendo taking if they decide to slot another title in that time period would be with a remaster of some sort. Maybe even an e-shop exclusive. I'd be up for another round of Tropical Freeze or Pikmin 3. Hell let Platinum re-release W101 as I missed out on it for the WiiU!

Top Bottom