• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genio88

According to rumors, 32 GB is the base storage so I'm guessing either 32/64 or 32/128. Wii U was 8/32 so I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a 4x storage increase.

According to rumor 32GB is what the Dev Kits have, so we have no clue it's the base model, though if i had to bet i'd put my money on 32GB for the base and 64GB for the premium, 128GB is not realistic to me

Hermii

Right...which again doesn't really affect my point.

It's was just a comparison to the kind of differences you might see.
I didn't understand your point then. I thought it was that features and gameplay will remain equal when ported to Switch

Edit: I get it. Sorry.

Matt

I didn't understand your point then. I thought it was that features and gameplay will remain equal when ported to Switch.
It is. Which is why bringing up that GTV was an up port was irrelevant.

It doesn't matter, I think everyone is on the same page.

Edit: No worries.

Asd202

The demands people are putting on Nintendo for this system are just staggering. It has to be super powerful, it has to have massive storage, and it has to be cheap. All of these things together are impossible for this concept.

Seriously, I think this device will disappoint a lot of people just based on expectations alone.

etking

Banned
In my opinion, the CPU is so extremely weak that it will limit the GPU and make ports of PS4 games impossible. Also the system should have at least 500GB of storage if Nintendo wants to sell downloads.

The demands people are putting on Nintendo for this system are just staggering. It has to be super powerful, it has to have massive storage, and it has to be cheap. All of these things together are impossible for this concept.

I'm not expecting an uber powerful console. Nobody is here that has been posting regularly in this thread. If its as good or close to the xbone one in power, that's great.

Its likely going to be priced at $250 for the lowest model, which is fine.

What's not okay is 32GB of storage. That shit should not happen again in this day and age for a current gen console, especially when ps4 and xbone one cost $300 and already at least have 500GB easily. It needs to be closer to 128GB(64GB is better than nothing) if its flash storage, notably for the more expensive model. Hell if they could just get a regular portable hard drive of 500GB somehow, that would be better than nothing. Just anything but the abomination of 32-64GB of space. I get that they're trying to save money, but that's only upfront, and obviously misleading in the long run. 32GB will be eaten up fast for digital games and updates for a console that is multiple times more powerful than the wii u.

Hermii

In my opinion, the CPU is so extremely weak that it will limit the GPU and make ports of PS4 games impossible. Also the system should have at least 500GB of storage if Nintendo wants to sell downloads.

If you have the details about the CPU and GPU configuration of the switch, by all means share with us.

Stupid question, but will there be an option to charge the Switch with a regular cable? So you don't have to carry the cradle everywhere you go.

Roo

Stupid question, but will there be an option to charge the Switch with a regular cable? So you don't have to carry the cradle everywhere you go.

Yes. You can see that in the trailer during the airport section.

You can't, however, charge it while using it with the kickstand as the charging port is at the bottom of the device.

MDave

What excites me is Indies will be able to make any kind of game they want with the power this has. And with Unreal 4 and Unity available straight off the bat (I'm guessing) this will make this a indie game making and playing heaven.

NeOak

Ayyy lmao

Let me tell you a story about a little core called Jaguar...

Matt

I'm not expecting an uber powerful console. Nobody is here that has been posting regularly in this thread. If its as good or close to the xbone one in power, that's great.

Its likely going to be priced at $250 for the lowest model, which is fine.

What's not okay is 32GB of storage. That shit should not happen again in this day and age for a current gen console, especially when ps4 and xbone one cost $300 and already at least have 500GB easily. It needs to be closer to 128GB(64GB is better than nothing) if its flash storage. I get that they're trying to save money, but that's only upfront, and a bit misleading.

Forcing customers that are are on the fence to pay additional storage isn't going to fly well, especially when you compare it to the competition. 32GB will be eaten up fast for digital games and updates for a console that is multiple times more powerful than the wii u.
You can't put a hard drive in this thing, and adding extreme amounts of flash storage adds a lot to the cost.

So do you want a weaker and worse system with more storage space? It's expandable for those that want that ability without sacrificing other parts of the system.

Matt

What? Where does your opinion about the CPU come from, and how the hell do you suggest Nintendo gets 500 gigs of storage onboard?

Phoenixus

I call bullshit. I can live with giving Nintendo criticism for some of their console designs when it comes to tech that's fine. But let's not make thir parties not take any responsibility also. Say someone like EA that releases a game on Wii U ME3 then like a week later announce the trilogy release for other consoles. Everyone needs to play their part. Nintendo needs to make a system that runs modern architecture and engines, third parties need to put time effort and resources into bring compelling and feature rich games. Most important don't treat the Nintendo version like the read headed stepchild, and we the gamers need to go out and support these titles by purchasing them. We have all failed each other in the past one is not more important than the other.

Well said. I'm happy to do my part but I'm not buying a gimped product if it's not because of the hardware limitations.

Vinnk

What's not okay is 32GB of storage. That shit should not happen again in this day and age for a current gen console, especially when ps4 and xbone one cost $300 and already at least have 500GB easily.

You do realize that flash or other solid state memory solutions are significantly more expensive than the type of drive that is in the PS4 right? Compare it more to the iPhone. Those max out at 256gig and you pay a $200 premium to get there. It's not as simple as duct taping a SATA hard disk drive to the unit.

goldenpp72

I call bullshit. I can live with giving Nintendo criticism for some of their console designs when it comes to tech that's fine. But let's not make thir parties not take any responsibility also. Say someone like EA that releases a game on Wii U ME3 then like a week later announce the trilogy release for other consoles. Everyone needs to play their part. Nintendo needs to make a system that runs modern architecture and engines, third parties need to put time effort and resources into bring compelling and feature rich games. Most important don't treat the Nintendo version like the read headed stepchild, and we the gamers need to go out and support these titles by purchasing them. We have all failed each other in the past one is not more important than the other.

So you seriously believe companies out there could be making many millions on Nintendo hardware, but they don't because they aren't friends with Nintendo?

Give me a break, it is Nintendos job to make a platform that can handle third party parity IF that is something they want. If Nintendo wants The Witcher, Battlefield, COD, etc, they need to create a system that can easily receive them so that the cost of doing business can't outweigh the gains. Even if the sales were only 500k or something, it would likely be enough to justify a port if the effort wasn't ridiculous. Ubisoft also suffered on Wii U despite being a devoted partner. Nintendo has two challenges to overcome with their business if this is in any way a priority thing for them. The first is being able to make a system that can rival the others while being in a lower price bracket (which is unfair, but that's the perception people have now, you can see it on this very forum, switch is over 200? LOL WHAT?)

They also need to create a better image for themselves, Nintendo has a less cool image in comparison to companies like MS, Sony or Apple in regards to this stuff, no one immediately thinks of Nintendo when thinking of a platform option for COD, they just default right to Xbox, PS or PC in most instances. Nintendo could address this by creating a slick, reasonably powerful device for a fair price while courting all the third parties they can to support it, but it would take years to change their perception. I do believe during the Wii/DS era, Nintendos brand became a very powerful one, and had the specs on the Wii been 360 level, it's very likely the system would have got ALL the support those systems had gotten due to how much lightning they captured, unfortunately that's all hindsight and Nintendo basically destroyed all their goodwill gains with a system people don't even know exist.

The switch may just be all that, the hardware looks great, but we still don't know the insides yet or how extensive of an effort Nintendo has gone to ensure they get third party support. As far as I know we only can assume Japanese support, a Basketball game and a port of a game that is many years old, it's not the most inspiring outlook when companies that support everything, aren't sure if they will support the platform.

I think Nintendo has an amazing opening here to be able to give reasonable sales to companies both on a console but also a portable space now, and if they play their cards right, it might work out great. I can say right now as someone who owns all platforms, any game that is equal or close on Switch will get my purchase there instead due to the portability factor, unless it's a massive online game, then i'd need to weigh in on the userbases at the time. It's not the consumers job to help Nintendo, it's Nintendo's job. Nintendo is my favorite game company by a huge margin, I would say 80 percent of my time this gen has been on Wii U and 3DS, but it's just unfortunate that Nintendo kind of put themselves in a corner when it comes to mainstream stuff. I'd love them to have all the Batmans/Mass effects/CODs/etc, but it has to make sense for the company to do it.

I'm just trying to imagine the stock holder meeting for Take Two or EA right now in your world.

Shareholder: Yo I want more money, why aren't you making more money on that hot new Nintendo system?

Company: Cause, Nintendo is kiddy lol, we don't like them.

Shareholder: Fair enough they sure do suck, sorry I mentioned them.

Genio88

No one knows that for sure since Nintendo didn't mention, though i guess it's 100% sure we'll be able to do that, also it should have a USB type C port like modern phones, which should allow to quick charge the device

You can't put a hard drive in this thing, and adding extreme amounts of flash storage adds a lot to the cost.

So do you want a weaker and worse system with more storage space? It's expandable for those that want that ability without sacrificing other parts of the system.

That is reason #1 why the concept of a hybrid device was a bad one from the start. The Switch is horrible as a console due to those limitation. In reality the Switch isn't a console at all. It's a mobile device with a convenient HDMI output.

If Nintendo wants to persist in calling the Switch a console as well as a mobile device, then it has to accept comparisons to other console devices on the market.

Matt

That is reason #1 why the concept of a hybrid device was a bad one from the start. The Switch is horrible as a console due to those limitation. In reality the Switch isn't a console at all. It's a mobile device with a convenient HDMI output.

If Nintendo wants to persist in calling the Switch a console as well as a mobile device, then it has to accept comparisons to other console devices on the market.
It's horrible as a console? That seems like a pretty melodramatic and premature position to take.

Also, in "reality" the entire handheld vs console distinction is an arbitrary and artificial one. The Switch is far from a GameBoy with a tv out.

Kazooie

Banned

It's stronger than the Wii U and slightly less powerful than an XONE. Considering Nintendo have made beautiful 1080p games on Wii U and considering Skyrim SE can run on this thing I don't think you can say it isn't a console with any legitimacy.

XPE

I guessing the storage will be like the 3DS and not the wii u, so you will be able to put in different range of micro sd cards

Turrican3

So you seriously believe companies out there could be making many millions on Nintendo hardware, but they don't because they aren't friends with Nintendo?
[...]
He has some fair points (which I won't delve into, I'll just say that the Wii IMHO is a clear example of what is wrong with third parties and Nintendo) to be honest.

But I believe the real issue is a different one: why on Earth people on GAF expect Nintendo to pull a third (fourth, if you also count the PC) Playstation/Xbox when the market is clearly ok with just one?

I have yet to see someone giving a reasonable answer. And no, third parties aggressively chasing the AAA, 100M+ $ budget game market (thus desperately needing as many platforms as possible to port to, so to minimize risk) is not a valid one to me, considering it has done more harm than good to this business. How can a company like Take2 stay in the red with a whopping 70M copies of GTA V and the game basically being still sold at full price is baffling to say the least.

Nintendo should indeed have a good relationship with third parties.
But that doesn't necessarily mean a (mostly) different kind of lineup can't have a profitable, sustainable place in this market.

He has some fair points (which I won't delve into, I'll just say that the Wii IMHO is a clear example of what is wrong with third parties and Nintendo) to be honest.

But I believe the real issue is a different one: why on Earth people on GAF expect Nintendo to pull a third (fourth, if you also count the PC) Playstation/Xbox when the market is clearly ok with just one?

I have yet to see someone giving a reasonable answer. And no, third parties aggressively chasing the AAA, 100M+ $ budget game market (thus desperately needing as many platforms as possible to port to, so to minimize risk) is not a valid one to me, considering it has done more harm than good to this business. How can a company like Take2 stay in the red with a whopping 70M copies of GTA V and the game basically being still sold at full price is baffling to say the least.

But that doesn't necessarily mean a (mostly) different kind of lineup can't have a profitable, sustainable place in this market.

Amen

ggx2ac

What excites me is Indies will be able to make any kind of game they want with the power this has. And with Unreal 4 and Unity available straight off the bat (I'm guessing) this will make this a indie game making and playing heaven.

You don't need to guess. Unity confirmed support on their webpage and Epic confirmed UE4 support on Twitter when Switch was revealed.

Retrobox

Let's say Nintendo keeps their Online service free. Then you'll be able to save that money you have to spend on additional storage right back compared to Xbox and Playstation.

And suddenly, there's no problem.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
LOL. Cortex A57 is better than the Jaguar CPU PS4 uses, and there is a possibility Switch will have something more powerful than A57 (e.g. A72 or Nvidia's custom design).

It's horrible as a console? That seems like a pretty melodramatic and premature position to take.

Also, in "reality" the entire handheld vs console distinction is an arbitrary and artificial one. The Switch is far from a GameBoy with a tv out.

It's stronger than the Wii U and slightly less powerful than an XONE. Considering Nintendo have made beautiful 1080p games on Wii U and considering Skyrim SE can run on this thing I don't think you can say it isn't a console with any legitimacy.

If the Switch is a home console, then why are people crying foul when others bring up the fact that the Switch has horrible storage space compared to the XB1 and PS4? Then it is 'obviously' not a console so can't be compared. For example...

I read someone of you expecting 250GB or 128GB of internal storage, you must be joking, eMMC or especially UFS storage are not as cheap as the PS4/XB1 5200rpm hard drives, so Nintendo can't put there something more than 64GB, and even then that would be for the 299$ "premium model" i expect 32GB at best instead for the base 249$ model.

It's not as simple as duct taping a SATA hard disk drive to the unit.

You can't have it both ways. Either it is a console or it isn't. If you insist on treating it as a console, then the Switch has to put on the big boy pants and compete with its other console competitors. It obviously fails at that task which is why I call the Switch a mobile device and not a console.

ASIS

If the Switch is a home console, then why are people crying foul when others bring up the fact that the Switch has horrible storage space compared to the XB1 and PS4? Then it is 'obviously' not a console so can't be compared. For example...

You can't have it both ways. Either it is a console or it isn't. If you insist on treating it as a console, then the Switch has to put on the big boy pants and compete with its other console competitors. It obviously fails at that task which is why I call the Switch a mobile device and not a console.
It's both a console and a mobile device.

Is it a good console? Is it a good mobile device? That remains to be seen. But by and large this console can definitely deliver a home experience just like the 360 and PS3 right out of the box. We still don't have any official info on the storage but storage alone is not what defines the difference between home console and mobile.

Matt

Since when has amount of onboard storage been a deciding factor for if something is a "console" or not?

The pedantic concern that some seem to have over the application of that term is pretty amazing to witness.

LordRaptor

Either it is a console or it isn't. If you insist on treating it as a console, then the Switch has to put on the big boy pants and compete with its other console competitors. It obviously fails at that task

I'd say the device where you can insert a game and be playing immediately rather than a 10 minute plus first run mandatory install time isn't the console thats failed as a console.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What do you base that opinion on?

Let's say Nintendo keeps their Online service free. Then you'll be able to save that money you have to spend on additional storage right back compared to Xbox and Playstation.

And suddenly, there's no problem.

You only need an online subscription for the PS4 or XB1 if you want to play online games. Plenty of people only play single player or local.

Since when has amount of onboard storage been a deciding factor for if something is a "console" or not?

The pedantic concern that some seem to have over the application of that term is pretty amazing to witness.

You were the one who tried to defend the Switch by claiming it is not a console. I am showing you the hypocrisy of that argument.

Ok fine. The Switch is a console. Then it has horrible storage space, and yes storage space is important. Until the PS4 Pro, it has been the only difference between the base and premium versions of the consoles. People paid extra, and continue to do so, for that additional storage space that you are now trying to say is irrelevant. A PS4 or XB1 with less than 100GB of storage space would be a joke. So guess what that makes the Switch when treated as a console?

Turrican3

If you insist on treating it as a console, then the Switch has to put on the big boy pants and compete with its other console competitors.
So I guess you don't consider Wii or WiiU proper consoles then.
Because clearly it's storage space (storage that is there to overcome the limitations of the optical drive, and to allow publishers to release unfinished/buggy games) that defines what is and what isn't a console.

GAF never ever ceases to amaze me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
LOL. Cortex A57 is better than the Jaguar CPU PS4 uses, and there is a possibility Switch will have something more powerful than A57 (e.g. A72 or Nvidia's custom design).

You are kidding yourself if you think Switch will have as many cores clocked as high or higher than what Xbox One and PS4 use... aka compare per clock performance of a single core does not tell you the full picture, but then again this line of thinking may ruin the fun of comparing the current consoles to souped up microwaves in terms of CPU power... or to forget that with the silicon and power budget both consoles have, having much more powerful CPU's was not possible without sacrificing GPU resources and making the system a lot less balanced.

Expect the performance ratio in Scorpio and PS5 to be even more leaning on the GPU's side (GPU's performance will keep increasing at a faster rate than CPU's performance in each console iteration for a while).

LordRaptor

A PS4 or XB1 with less than 100GB of storage space would be a joke.

Yes, because those machines require mandatory installs of data because they are not designed to read data from their game storage medium fast enough.

You are saying that not needing mandatory installs is a failure.
That consoles should have mandatory installs before being able to play a game.

Matt

You were the one who tried to defend the Switch by claiming it is not a console. I am showing you the hypocrisy of that argument.

Ok fine. The Switch is a console. Then it has horrible storage space, and yes storage space is important. Until the PS4 Pro, it has been the only difference between the base and premium versions of the consoles. People paid extra, and continue to do so, for that additional storage space that you are now trying to say is irrelevant. A PS4 or XB1 with less than 100GB of storage space would be a joke. So guess what that makes the Switch when treated as a console?
What?

I never claimed it wasn't a console. I said the systems is designed in such a way as to make a hard drive an impossible addition. You are the one that added that additional meaning to it.

And you can have as much storage with the system as you want, I'm not claiming system storage is irrelevant.

The Switch is a home console. It's also a portable. It's a hybrid. Why does that seem to bother you so much?

MDave

You don't need to guess. Unity confirmed support on their webpage and Epic confirmed UE4 support on Twitter when Switch was revealed.

Oh, I knew they announced support for the Switch, but when it comes is something I am guessing at. Unity support didn't arrive for the N3DS until about 6 months after release.

I'd say the device where you can insert a game and be playing immediately rather than a 10 minute plus first run mandatory install time isn't the console thats failed as a console.

Thank goodness we don't have to deal with installs for the Switch ... right?

I don't expect 10GB day one patches either, Nintendo will hopefully be strict on devs that try to do that.

Just when the mighty fortress of Sanity thought that the worst was over, the trolls launched a surprise attack and took them by surprise... If it weren't Matt and other leading officers, the good men would've faltered and perished on the onslaught. But they hold steadfast, taking the blunt of the attack so the lesser men can recover in peace...

I seriously think that this topic is long overdue, I thought that the false rumour topics will be closed? The rumour monger him/herself said that this is not a reliable rumour. Why is still a thing?

Only those who try to stir up trouble bring this topic up.

So NES and SNES, or PSs 1 and 2 aren't consoles? Never would've thought...

About those cards...Good luck getting PS4/XB1 sized games on them.

Infinite Warfare is 44.6 GB on PlayStation 4, while Modern Warfare Remastered is 37.2 GB.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-/1100-6444970/
If the Switch gets ports of the other console games, they would have to be massively scaled back just to fit on the physical media. Once again, that would be understandable for a mobile device, but for a console it is laughable.

Oh, and what about digital delivery, yet another expected feature of a modern home console. Either the Switch won't have it and fail yet again in the head-to-head console feature battle, or the storage limitation issue is still there as large as ever.

goldenpp72

Third parties tried to tap into the Wii market, with some success. The issue is that you simply could not convert games like Batman, Mass effect, etc to the Wii without losing an extraordinary amount of work that went into them. Third parties almost entirely tried to support the Wii minus just a couple, some succeeded, but I don't think ANY of them did by simply trying to fit their 360/pc/ps3 work.

Also, 'another' Xbox one and PS4 isn't what people want, people just want to be able to play those games while getting the immense exclusives Nintendo systems yield. Nintendo requires you to buy 2 systems if you want full access to the majority of games made today, and that's a shame. Nintendo is not unable to compete with these companies in specs, they simply choose not to.

I personally hope the Switch is at least remotely similar to Xbox one in specs but even that seems like a pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom