• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

As I said before, this Inazuma Eleven Switch situation is hilarious to me. I'm seriously wondering what the reasoning behind keeping the platform under wraps is.

Likely because they announced the project without even knowing at first what the platform was gonna be. The Inazuma Eleven anime was more profitable than the game, so they announced the cross-media project showing the anime first.

Cerium

Okay, it's now pretty much confirmed that Inazuma Eleven Ares is a Switch game, as...there's not really any other option.

Hino revealed first screens of the game (barely started development with no release date) :
XVAq9ma.png

M7ew9ba.png

As you can see, it can't really be a 3DS game with that level of graphics. So there was two options left : mobile and Switch. But it's not the former either as Hino showed a few minutes later that there will be a companion app on mobile, implying that the main game won't be one :
CzPPsqXXAAEQ76r.jpg

So there it is, you have one Level-5 game in development.
This should be a thread.

LordKano

There's already a thread about the Inazuma Eleven livestream. I don't think the stream is over yet, so maybe Hino will announce something at the end.

MoonFrog

Didn't somebody make a big deal about Level 5 not saying "We will have a game for Switch!"

I know somebody was making a big deal because when an interviewer asked Level 5 if they had a game for the Switch I think he said they're looking into it or something.
I made a deal of it, yes. Not sure if I'm who you're talking about. I was very much worried about 3DS support continuing and still am.

I made a deal of it, yes. Not sure if I'm who you're talking about. I was very much worried about 3DS support continuing and still am.
Not sure if it was you. I would expect 3DS support to die down, honestly.

I think 3DS will get its support through 2017 and that's it.

Cerium

There's already a thread about the Inazuma Eleven livestream. I don't think the stream is over yet, so maybe Hino will announce something at the end.
People are desperate for news about anything Switch related. If you make a new thread with this new news it'll probably blow up.

LordKano

People are desperate for news about anything Switch related. If you make a new thread with this new news it'll probably blow up.

Dunno, we know next to nothing about the game and there's still no official confirmation or rumors about this one. It may be better to keep it for this thread.

MoonFrog

Not sure if it was you. I would expect 3DS support to die down, honestly.

I think 3DS will get its support through 2017 and that's it.
Yeah the worry is where it goes next. Mobile (a la way Level-5 had been talking)? PS (a la MH5 rumors)? Dies?

I mean Switch is a much higher production values device than 3DS; Switch has yet to prove it can sell as install base 0, minimal catalog handheld in Japan; PS4 has all those western sales and Japan looks a sinking ship; etc. I think Nintendo needs to convince Japanese thirds that Switch is going to be a thing and make it a thing through their support.

Genio88

Okay, it's now pretty much confirmed that Inazuma Eleven Ares is a Switch game, as...there's not really any other option.

Hino revealed first screens of the game (barely started development with no release date) :
XVAq9ma.png

M7ew9ba.png

As you can see, it can't really be a 3DS game with that level of graphics. So there was two options left : mobile and Switch. But it's not the former either as Hino showed a few minutes later that there will be a companion app on mobile, implying that the main game won't be one :
CzPPsqXXAAEQ76r.jpg

Don't know, if they remove the 3D i think that graphics is still achievable on 3DS, doesn't look that different from Pokemon Sun and Moon for example, of course tha doesn't exclude a Switch version too

LordKano

This is your big chance to be an insider though ��

Snap, that's a good idea. I better prepare my vaguely hinting tweets and the papers for the mod verification.

Don't know, if they remove the 3D i think that graphics is still achievable on 3DS, doesn't look that different from Pokemon Sun and Moon for example, of course tha doesn't exclude a Switch version too

It's in HD so we're already sure it's not 3DS. Plus, it won't release until at least Late 2017, probably early 2018, the 3DS will be dead in the water by then.

Genio88

Yeah the worry is where it goes next. Mobile (a la way Level-5 had been talking)? PS (a la MH5 rumors)? Dies?

I mean Switch is a much higher production values device than 3DS; Switch has yet to prove it can sell as install base 0, minimal catalog handheld in Japan; PS4 has all those western sales and Japan looks a sinking ship; etc. I think Nintendo needs to convince Japanese thirds that Switch is going to be a thing and make it a thing through their support.

I think Switch will make pretty well in Japan, it's the smaller home console ever and it's also an handheld which they love, plus all Nintendo exclusives

Bulbasaur

Banned
So Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate was there at the wii u launch if memory serves. How confident are we that XX hd will be localised in time for the Switch launch in the west, as Japan is a certainty?

Genio88

Snap, that's a good idea. I better prepare my vaguely hinting tweets and the papers for the mod verification.

It's in HD so we're already sure it's not 3DS. Plus, it won't release until at least Late 2017, probably early 2018, the 3DS will be dead in the water by then.

To promote the game they use better resolution assets, they did that with Sun and Moon too if i recall correctly, not saying it won't be on Switch, just that a 3DS version is also likely to me, since the 3DS installed base is too huge to abandon already and also those screens clearly show dual screen gameplay

LordKano

To promote the game they use better resolution assets, they did that with Sun and Moon too if i recall correctly, not saying it won't be on Switch, just that a 3DS version is also likely to me, since the 3DS installed base is too huge to abandon already and also those screens clearly show dual screen gameplay

Pokémon Sun & Moon looks just like it always looked since the first trailers IIRC.

They are not the same screens too, they are two 16:9 different screens. They were shown one after one.

Pachimari

I would love Inazuma Eleven on Switch. I bought one on 3DS but never opened it, so it would be my first time to jump in if it was to arrive on Switch. And I love football too! These are the games that can make me feel good about a Switch purchase.

MoonFrog

I think Switch will make pretty well in Japan, it's the smaller home console ever and it's also an handheld which they love, plus all Nintendo exclusives
Yeah, there are reasons for its success. I just hope they carry the day. What does the market for a new handheld look like today? Mobile is more mature than when 3DS came around.

As I've said, I think Switch has the potential to be best thing for Japan since the OG DS with its ability to have Nintendo "shared" catalog and 3DS/PS shared catalog. It's a question of making good on that potential by courting third parties and having a healthy install base. Two things which are greatly intertwined.

I really want Switch to land well.

EVH

Not sure how the game would play without the stylus. It couldn't have the same frantic pacing...

It's one of my favorite games of all time but it is highly tied to 3DS hardware.

Didnt it work also with the extra analog for 3DS? Also, people actually said that because of the touch control it was uncomfortable.

I would love to see it. It deserves another chance.

Yes, that much is obvious. My question is why? Like, is someone gonna die?

Marketing people are lunatics, is all I'm saying.

The new Inazuma Eleven is obviously a Switch game
They won't announce the new Inazuma Eleven as a Switch game

I imagine the thought process is-

Nintendo's presentation is about a month away, and they want to save as many new announcements as possible for that event so that it seems like they have more new, unannounced games.

It doesn't really fool people like us who are searching through every single game announcement and discussion to see if it might be coming to platform X, but this is going to be a very big presentation tailored to many different people.

I think you're over worrying. Nintendos handhelds have always done great in Japan and has great third party support. For all intents and purposes the Switch will replace the 3DS Japan as the new go to handheld. It will have all of Nintendos games to sell it in Japan. PS4 is strictly a console and that's why it's doing bad. Nintendo did good with making the Switch a portable to for Japan.

So Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate was there at the wii u launch if memory serves. How confident are we that XX hd will be localised in time for the Switch launch in the west, as Japan is a certainty?

For launch????

No idea

I really hope we get a Switch version fast and that it looks amazing!

I imagine the thought process is-

Nintendo's presentation is about a month away, and they want to save as many new announcements as possible for that event so that it seems like they have more new, unannounced games.

It doesn't really fool people like us who are searching through every single game announcement and discussion to see if it might be coming to platform X, but this is going to be a very big presentation tailored to many different people.

But see...

The people that would be "fooled" by not announcing the platform aren't gonna be watching for this anyway. So what's the point really.

I'm pretty confident, especially with PSX coming and going with no word on MH, means that the series looks to still be sticking around with Nintendo to me, especially after a dedicated Direct just happened before.

A Switch port of XX is a no-brainer. As you said they did it with MH3U on Wii U, and XX is pretty conveniently releasing in the same month that the Switch is.

Jan 12th Switch event with XX Switch announced for launch and MH5 as a Switch-exclusive sounds likely to me, just like the 3DS 2011 Fall Conference when MH3G and MH4 were announced for 3DS.

But see...

The people that would be "fooled" by not announcing the platform aren't gonna be watching for this anyway. So what's the point really.

They might wind up seeing it in the news somewhere before the event. It sort of lessens the impact if it's known before than if all of the bombs are dropped at once.

I don't know how well any of these effects work or anything but I'm assuming this is the marketing plan.

Edit:
I'm curious if the holdbacks are because the games are using announced features (such as a touch screen), or if its weird marketing decisions.

Yeah unannounced features are certainly another possible reason.

foltzie1

I'm curious if the holdbacks are because the games are using announced features (such as a touch screen), or if its weird marketing decisions.

It was interesting we didn't see certain companies at the PSX like Square. Didn't they say we'd see FFVIIR in January? If they did maybe it'll be at the event.

Sadist

Well there is always the possibillity of the game hitting PS4 (read: possibility), but yeah, those screens scream game on a dedicated system and because the series was always on a Nintendo system...

MoonFrog

I think you're over worrying. Nintendos handhelds have always done great in Japan and has great third party support. For all intents and purposes the Switch will replace the 3DS Japan as the new go to handheld. It will have all of Nintendos games to sell it in Japan. PS4 is strictly a console and that's why it's doing bad. Nintendo did good with making the Switch a portable to for Japan.
I do think, as I've said before, Switch is, conceptually, exactly the device Nintendo should be making. Moreover, rumors suggest good specs and price and perhaps even battery now for what it is. I hope those all pan out. Actualization of this conceptual potential and hardware potential in software and sales is another thing, and I am very much wanting Jan 12th to be a huge blowout as to why Japan should go for another handheld and not just game on phones. Nintendo needs to sell this device and part of that is getting developers behind it before it's a thing, which goes against Nintendo's stated historical modus operandi. Then you hear things like what Level-5 was saying, being very bullish on mobile and meek on console and it starts to look like Nintendo is having some trouble building a coalition.

This inazuma 11 thing if it pans out is a great sign.

Pachimari

How powerful will the Switch be? Because personally, I don't expect it to run games like Final Fantasy XV or VIIR, but then again, I haven't kept up on the specs of this machine. It'll surely be less powerful than the PS4, and also the Xbox One?

How powerful will the Switch be? Because personally, I don't expect it to run games like Final Fantasy XV or VIIR, but then again, I haven't kept up on the specs of this machine. It'll surely be less powerful than the PS4, and also the Xbox One?

Yes, less powerful than PS4 and XB1 in raw power is the current rumor. Speculation puts the GPU at 500-700Gflops max when docked, with a CPU potentially more powerful than PS4/XB1's and the rumors say 4GB RAM with 3.2 usable for games. Tegra can take advantage of FP16 code with twice the performance, so depending on how many games can use that (UE4 uses a lot apparently) the GPU will be punching above its weight.

So a UE4 game like FFVIIR should definitely run on the Switch, though likely downgraded a bit from the PS4 version.

No one here could say (or is allowed to say) how powerful Switch is, it will likely be less powerful than PS4/XOne (GPU,RAM), even when some aspects of the system are more powerful (CPU) because PS4/XOne both have relatively slow CPUs. Regardless Switch can run FF15 for sure, the only question is if there must be made minor or medium graphical downgrades.

LordKano

FFXV wouldn't run because of the Luminous Engine, but there shouldn't be any problems for games using more common engines like UE4. Luckily, FFVIIR is one of them.

I guess it would be interesting if they had those 3DS versions available on the VC. Assuming they are similar to the N64 versions that should be fairly easy to emulate, right? I guess I don't know what kind of work goes into that. But either the N64 or 3DS versions remastered in HD aren't likely to happen in my mind. At best we'll see them upscaled to HD, not rendered natively.

As for Wii VC, I could certainly see it happening, considering Dolphin can do Wii games based on Gamecube hardware. The joycons are rumored to have wii motion + esque motion controls and at least one IR sensor, so the games would certainly be playable.

Perhaps the IR sensor is actually more for Wii VC than it is to simulate touch inputs on the TV...

I think I got a bit confused here. In relation to 3DS games on Switch I was referring to a Virtual Console version, not an HD remaster.

As for the Wii-mote functionality and IR sensors, I just posted about that in the Jimmy Fallon thread.

My thoughts are that the tech will primarily be used to approximate multi-touch when the console is docked or the joy-cons are detached; At least for games made primarily for Switch. I'd imagine they could have stopped there, but the rumors make it sound like they just went all the way to make the joy-con the Wii-remote 3.0. As a side-effect, they could definitely use that to justify Wii Virtual Console games without making people buy new hardware!

oti

Banned

XVAq9ma.png

M7ew9ba.png

CzPPsqXXAAEQ76r.jpg

Man, this screen looks great. I was always intrigued by the series
Captain Tsubasa da best
but never got into it because of the gameplay. This could be great.

EDarkness

XVAq9ma.png

M7ew9ba.png

CzPPsqXXAAEQ76r.jpg

Just curious, why couldn't this be a PS4 game or even a Vita game?

There's no reason why it couldn't happen other than Nintendo being dumb. The hardware can support it.

The HDMI Alt Mode for USB Type-C only supports HDMI 1.4b and I believe that HDR requires at minimum HDMI 2.0a. So if Nintendo is using that, HDR would not be possible.

Terrell

I mean Switch is a much higher production values device than 3DS;
Switch has yet to prove it can sell as install base 0, minimal catalog handheld in Japan; PS4 has all those western sales and Japan looks a sinking ship; etc. I think Nintendo needs to convince Japanese thirds that Switch is going to be a thing and make it a thing through their support.
This thought operates under the false assumption that companies are mandated to maximize the potential of hardware.
I fully expect the next Ace Attorney game on Switch, for example. But I don't expect it to render the stubble on Phoenix's face or individual beads of sweat on a witness when they lie, or epic bloom lighting.
We've been led to think there's no room for those kinds of games at retail for consoles. But if they released the next AA game on Switch at the price of a 3DS game and built it to a similar scope, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelash.

MoonFrog

This thought operates under the false assumption that companies are mandated to maximize the potential of hardware.
I fully expect the next Ace Attorney game on Switch, for example. But I don't expect it to render the stubble on Phoenix's face or individual beads of sweat on a witness when they lie, or epic bloom lighting.
We've been led to think there's no room for those kinds of games at retail for consoles. But if they released the next AA game on Switch at the price of a 3DS game and built it to a similar scope, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelash.

That's a mischaracterization.

There's "every game must maximize hardware" and "every game must look fitting on said hardware."

Put a 3DS game, say, SMTIV, as a full fledged PS4 release and people are going to look at it funny. Put a game that is a slightly up-ported PS3 game, say, Persona 5, on PS4 and it is fine.

It's a messy line, but I fully expect Switch to be pushing production values further and there is a question of how much tension that puts in traditional 3DS lines of support. Perhaps not much. Perhaps it is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

EDarkness

There's "every game must maximize hardware" and "every game must look fitting on said hardware."

Put a 3DS game, say, SMTIV, as a full fledged PS4 release and people are going to look at it funny. Put a game that is a slightly up-ported PS3 game, say, Persona 5, on PS4 and it is fine.

It's a messy line, but I fully expect Switch to be pushing production values further and there is a question of how much tension that puts in traditional 3DS lines of support. Perhaps not much. Perhaps it is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I think this thinking is a problem. The game should stand on the merits of it's gameplay and just because a game CAN look super duper spectacular, doesn't mean it has to. There is room for lower tier games as much as super high-fidelity stuff. I would hope that companies making games for the NS are bullied or pressured into increasing their budget by some silly amount just to appease some folks who feel like they NEED the best possible graphics on a system. Developers should make the game they can make within their budget. This idea that games should be chasing "spectacular" graphics on higher end hardware is messing the industry up.

Gamers don't help, either, since they see something that looks like a 3DS game on the PS4 and start talking about how the game looks like crap or is crap and the like. It's crazy. I hope that developers who make 3DS games currently who move to the NS stick to their guns and continue to make the games they make without worrying about that sort of thing. If they want to go all out because the hardware allows them to, then that's fine. However, I don't think it should be a requirement.

Disgaea 5 on ps4 performed, and it's not exactly a technical marvel. The sprites are nice, but they're sprites, and the environments are low-poly as hell. It's a niche franchise, but it was a success and its not treated as some kind of joke.

I feel like Switch is Nintendos last chance to push themselves into the console market. If they still want to pretend they are a blue ocean product fine...they can get just as much blue ocean success as the Wii U. Bottom line is this thing needs to move 50 million units or more in its life cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom