• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I feel like Switch is Nintendos last chance to push themselves into the console market. If they still want to pretend they are a blue ocean product fine...they can get just as much blue ocean success as the Wii U. Bottom line is this thing needs to move 50 million units or more in its life cycle
You're right. What about the portable market? They adress both markets as one now. All their games will be on a single machine, all in. Aside from iOS/Androïd releases, to build the brand(s) and make "easy" money. Not in a pejorative way but I assume Nintendo studios prefee working on more ambitious games.

orioto

Good Art™
This thought operates under the false assumption that companies are mandated to maximize the potential of hardware.
I fully expect the next Ace Attorney game on Switch, for example. But I don't expect it to render the stubble on Phoenix's face or individual beads of sweat on a witness when they lie, or epic bloom lighting.
We've been led to think there's no room for those kinds of games at retail for consoles. But if they released the next AA game on Switch at the price of a 3DS game and built it to a similar scope, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelash.

Indeed, and it's how it's been done with PS3/PS4/vita already for years anyway. Japan knows this model. Isn't it the case with indie games to.. Not every game has to max out the console. Those times are over.

People who think every Nintendo game will have WiiU minimum production value now, or more, are crazy. Spoiler. Nintendo will continue to have big "console" games with super big budgets and smaller "portable" games. Except they'll have great graphics to, and great iq this time, but less modern.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Indeed, and it's how it's been done with PS3/PS4/vita already for years anyway. Japan knows this model. Isn't it the case with indie games to.. Not every game has to max out the console. Those times are over.

People who think every Nintendo game will have WiiU minimum production value now, or more, are crazy. Spoiler. Nintendo will continue to have big "console" games with super big budgets and smaller "portable" games. Except they'll have great graphics to, and great iq this time, but less modern.
Yes, and I wonder if 3DS third parties all have a game in development for next year. What do you think?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Is it possible that while docked one or both Joy-cons could be replaced with a modular camera(s)? I know we lack the info but if we could extrapolate the bandwidth needed for the Joycons, would that be ideal for a camera add-on?

Example of the the thought process here.

The Polycom VVX 500 is a VOIP Phone that has 3inch screen that has a usb port on the back that can attach a HD camera right on top of the phone:

vvx-camera-lg-a-thumbnail.jpg

One camera gets you regular Video chat but Two cameras could give 3-D movement. My point is the Switch could be a QOL device hidden inside a game console.

Is it possible that while docked one or both Joy-cons could be replaced with a modular camera(s)? I know we lack the info but if we could extrapolate the bandwidth needed for the Joycons, would that be ideal for a camera add-on?

Example of the the thought process here.

The Polycom VVX 500 is a VOIP Phone that has 3inch screen that has a usb port on the back that can attach a HD camera right on top of the phone:

vvx-camera-lg-a-thumbnail.jpg

One camera gets you regular Video chat but Two cameras could give 3-D movement. My point is the Switch could be a QOL device hidden inside a game console.

Yeah I've been wondering if there might be camera joycons too. Maybe not even at launch but if there's no other place to put a camera that's probably the only way to get any sort of AR type gameplay.

And Kimishima was pretty clear about having a bunch of accessories to sell too.

No one here could say (or is allowed to say) how powerful Switch is, it will likely be less powerful than PS4/XOne (GPU,RAM), even when some aspects of the system are more powerful (CPU) because PS4/XOne both have relatively slow CPUs. Regardless Switch can run FF15 for sure, the only question is if there must be made minor or medium graphical downgrades.

We know it's either a Tegra X1 or X2 so we have a pretty good idea on how powerful it is.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
We know it's either a Tegra X1 or X2 so we have a pretty good idea on how powerful it is.
Nope, it's neither. It's a custom Nintendo SoC. The only detail we believe is correct is that the GPU in the SoC is based on Nvidia's Pascal micro-architecture.

EDarkness

Vita? Might as well ask why it couldn't be a Wii U or Xbox One game.

I'm unfamiliar with sales in Japan now, but I assume that the Vita is having trouble these days? Still, the point was why would it have to be the NS? Couldn't it be another system? Just because it's historically been on Nintendo platforms, doesn't mean it can't be released on others.

Any chance of the dock supporting ethernet? The USB port is already going to have power going into the Switch and the video signal going out. How much can Type C handle?

MacTag

Banned
I'm unfamiliar with sales in Japan now, but I assume that the Vita is having trouble these days? Still, the point was why would it have to be the NS? Couldn't it be another system? Just because it's historically been on Nintendo platforms, doesn't mean it can't be released on others.
For Level 5 Vita had trouble since day one.

IE Ares could definitely be on another system. It could Switch, it could be mobile, it could be PS4, or it could be any combination of the 3. But not Vita.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Any chance of the dock supporting ethernet? The USB port is already going to have power going into the Switch and the video signal going out. How much can Type C handle?
There'll be USB Type-A connectors on the dock. Maybe the console will work with USB Ethernet adapters.

Oersted

The audience for Inazuma is, correct, on Nintendo consoles.
Inazuma is furthermore a franchise which exists outside Japan with an anime,merchandise and whatsnot. Vita does not exist outside Japan, with 0 momentum going forward.
Switch - PS4 - Xbox One - Vita, in order from likely to unlikely.

It's actually neither. The final chipset is a customized Tegra. It may be around the same powerlevel as the Tegra TX1 if we go by the dev kits, though.

Is it a reasonable assumption to assume that the system will be roughly 1.5-2x the Wii U in HH mode? (200-300 GFLOPS) with more than double the power docked coupled with a much stronger CPU?

EDarkness

The audience for Inazuma is, correct, on Nintendo consoles.
Inazuma is furthermore a franchise which exists outside Japan with an anime,merchandise and whatsnot. Vita does not exist outside Japan, with 0 momentum going forward.
Switch - PS4 - Xbox One - Vita, in order from likely to unlikely.

Makes sense. They showed some screens, so I would imagine they've already decided what it's going to be on. Based on those screens, it could be the NS or PS4. Since they didn't announce the platform, I'm kinda leaning towards the NS as well. I guess we'll see soon enough.

If its X2 Pascal Parker, it could be up to 1.5 TFLOPS for fp16(single precision floating point) which is pretty crazy to hear or 750 GFLOPS for fp32. More than likely it will be a combinatio of the two and float around 1 TFLOP, for our best case scenario when docked. However its already confirmed Switch will be using a custom chip, and we have no idea if its a downgraded version or something altogether.

My issue is though that if its really 1 TFLOP(or pretty close to it in either direction), 4GB of RAM doesn't make a lot of sense(coming from Emily Rogers who says its the amount in the retail versions back in October).

Anyway, I'm expecting at least 500 GFLOPS(3x more powerful than wii u). Not even expecting 1 TFLOP, as I don't want my hopes up. Jan 12 can't come soon enough.

Persona7

Banned
Sooo yall think preorders gonna open up the 12th?

I'm going to be ready to go as soon as I hear gamestop opens pre-orders. Going to place one on amazon as well as a backup.

No way will they allow the system to switch from wifi and break up whatever you are doing with a handoff.

This question has probably been talked about already and I've seen some stuff discussed here but I still wonder. I understand that since the switch cartridge based load times and what not will be alot faster than disc based. Also I know the cartridges sizes can be small or bigger depending on games but do you guys think developers will go back to more compressing more files to fit it on the switch? PS4 and XBone have huge file sizes and from what I gather it's mostly due to developers going with more uncompressed files for things like textures and audio.

This question has probably been talked about already and I've seen some stuff discussed here but I still wonder. I understand that since the switch cartridge based load times and what not will be alot faster than disc based. Also I know the cartridges sizes can be small or bigger depending on games but do you guys think developers will go back to more compressing more files to fit it on the switch? PS4 and XBone have huge file sizes and from what I gather it's mostly due to developers going with more uncompressed files for things like textures and audio.

That probably largely depends on the inherent cost of the cards/carts. If it's cheap enough to produce cards that match or exceed optical media capacities without sacrificing substantial profits, then they won't feel the need to spend resources on strategically compressing data.

In truth, a lot of data is probably pretty optimized these days, even on optical media. You're not going to get a huge ROI from trying to follow this particular route unless there's a giant cost differential in the physical media.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

I doubt 3rd Party Devs would have to compress anything if I understand correctly. If the rumored 16GB cart size should be plenty for 75% of the games if looking a the Wii U is any indication. I'm sure if necessary 32GB or even 64GB Carts could be produced. Nintendo are wizards when it comes to using disc space, they should be more able to help the devs out there.

enishi

Okay, it's now pretty much confirmed that Inazuma Eleven Ares is a Switch game, as...there's not really any other option.

Hino revealed first screens of the game (barely started development with no release date) :

As you can see, it can't really be a 3DS game with that level of graphics. So there was two options left : mobile and Switch. But it's not the former either as Hino showed a few minutes later that there will be a companion app on mobile, implying that the main game won't be one :

So there it is, you have one Level-5 game in development.

It was stated as a 2017 release in their first trailer (no in-game material). Of course delay is an option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgRVxLhKo1s

Terrell

That probably largely depends on the inherent cost of the cards/carts. If it's cheap enough to produce cards that match or exceed optical media capacities without sacrificing substantial profits, then they won't feel the need to spend resources on strategically compressing data.

In truth, a lot of data is probably pretty optimized these days, even on optical media. You're not going to get a huge ROI from trying to follow this particular route unless there's a giant cost differential in the physical media.

No, it's really not.

Audio is fully uncompressed in most modern games, despite FLAC offering a much-reduced file size without a loss in audio quality and barely any difference on CPU utilization.

FMV sequences are encoded in h.264, which is a horrible codec for 720p and 1080p video and has accounted for 50% or more of a game's total data usage in many cases (Metal Gear Rising was reported to have 75% of its data being made up of FMVs). Meanwhile, Nvidia offers hardware acceleration for the VP9 video codec on all its most current chips, including the Tegra X1 and Pascal, and VP9 has a 40% lower file size on average compared to h.264. VP9's successor, AV1, would improve upon that, though it would not be available with native hardware acceleration. Thankfully, CPUs don't do too much else while an FMV plays, so that might not be the biggest concern.

Both of these codecs and their compression methods are exhaustively documented and take practically no effort to implement, with a savings in file size for a game being 30-50%.

So no, things aren't as optimized as you'd think. Not by a LONG shot. Blu-Ray made it so developers never had to give this a second thought, even though they should have when you consider these games were available for purchase via an internet connection with potential bandwidth restrictions and data caps.

GRW810

If a game uses both shoulder buttons, will it be impossible to play using a Joy Con? I'm thinking of drifting and using items in Mario Kart on the main Switch set-up but then changing to just a single Joy Con.

Shiggy

If a game uses both shoulder buttons, will it be impossible to play using a Joy Con? I'm thinking of drifting and using items in Mario Kart on the main Switch set-up but then changing to just a single Joy Con.

Mario Kart really shouldn't be a problem. You can even play that with a Wii Remote.

Kurt

I've already preordered mine 2 months ago in belgium. But will update it ones there some clear info about which packs and games there are.

There is a button(/s?) in the side of the Con, they are on the tablet side and thus normally not used. Gives you an extra button to use.

There was a picture about that in this very topic page or two ago.

Dang0

How likely do you guys think it is that we will see a Kid Icarus: Uprising HD port on Switch?

That game is woefully underappreciated both here and in the mainstream consciousness, and I think it could do gangbusters if marketed properly and if the controls work well enough. I know stylus aiming was super precise but as long as you increase the analog sensitivity enough I think dual analog aiming should work fine.

If its true that the Switch's joycons have pointer controls, I could see it being converted to that. I've always thought Uprisings controls would be better on wiimote then on a touch screen.

Debirudog

I don't care what memory card they would use, so as long as I can slot it in because I'm not very good with the screw driver as I stripped the screws for my new 3DS. ;>_>

Monumma

The dock doesn't plug in with USB

Yes, however the switch uses USB-C between the portable and the dock and, as darkness said, the signal passing through USB-C only support up to hdmi 1.4b, as you can see here.

HDMI only supports HDR from 2.0a, so the switch won't have hdr support. However I'm hopeful for that sweet 4k netflix content.

I also don't know if the switch will be able to charge on the dock while playing, does anyone know more about it?

Yes, however the switch uses USB-C between the portable and the dock and, as darkness said, the signal passing through USB-C only support up to hdmi 1.4b, as you can see here.

HDMI only supports HDR from 2.0a, so the switch won't have hdr support. However I'm hopeful for that sweet 4k netflix content.

I also don't know if the switch will be able to charge on the dock while playing, does anyone know more about it?

I'm fairly certain that USB C can transfer relatively large amounts power and data simultaneously, compared to the old standard. I remember reading that as one of the main benefits a while back. I'm certain it will charge while docked and playing. It would make no sense if you couldn't.

Vuze

How come OG PS4 supports HDR with a HDMI 1.4 port though?

I mean, I won't get my hopes up but in theory...?

oti

Banned
Dude, a Mario Strikers (actually any kind of sports game but Mario Strikers is the coolest) with a 2-players mode from the same console would be fucking amazing.

After the last two Mario Tennis game the series might as well be dead as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom