• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

Round-up for those who missed it :
There are definately surprises left for the Jan 12th event. There's a lot of third party stuff not touched on, some hardware details, UI system level info and other info not yet spoiled. There's a pretty beefy presentation planned and, like some of Nintendo's better directs, it's going to be very info heavy.

Yep, stuff you're not expecting. At least one unexpected new IP.

[Concerning Zelda] I really hope it's launch, and the marketting seems to regularly suggest it'll be launch, but I'm still hearing it's going to miss launch. If I were just making educated guesses on public info I'd have said launch, but I keep on hearing it'll miss launch. As a Zelda fan I am as dissapointed by that as anyone.

[Concerning battery power and processing power] I initially heard 3 hours max battery, no clue if that's full clock or "portable" clock speed. I've heard longer estimates since which would lead me to suspect 3 hours is if you play a game fully clocked but not connected to power, which is doable at the very least with dev kits.

I suspect we will see similar levels of graphical sacrifices as going from ultra to high to medium on PC. A little less of everything, but the same core experience.

I have heard about two third party exclusives, Rabbids RPG being one. I suspect 3 at least but that's no guarentee they are good exclusives :p

Initial VC library is 100% going to dissapoint folk in terms of raw volume of titles.

[Concerning Wii U ports] Everything I have heard is enhanced ports, to varying degrees.
Mario KArt seems extensive. Smash seems minimal. Varying levels of addition.

[Concerning BGE2] I have heard a CGI teaser for BGE2 is in the works, less than a minute long (double sourced). No word if it'll be ready for Jan. I suspect not Jan event but equally I don't know when else a 1 min teaser being worked on now would be for. Can't place any other events they would be prepping it for.

RE: Mother 3, I've heard that rumour just like Emily. It seems to be a project that continuously comes to me from reputable sources with a strong track record, but never materialises. I am genuinely fascinated by why I keep hearing it but it never happens. It's the eternal phantom rumour.

[Concerning Monolith Soft's new project]I have heard it's something new, it's not the Xenoblade X Switch port, and it's in the same vain as Xenoblade and X in terms of combat style.

Don't expect anything from Platinum in Jan.

I have heard achievements, but I can't seem to clarify if they are separate or not from the new My Nintendo ones folk are earning for playing Smartphone games.

I hear same week NA and JP. Region free I am still being told.

[Concerning Pokémon] So I talked to Tom Phillips a lot before he ran his Stars story, as I was also working on the same leak, via different sources. He had a few bits of info I did not so I stepped back and let him handle it.
He was unsure about names Stars and Eclipse, I had only heard Stars.
I have heard 20+ new monsters being saved for Stars. Tom doesn't think that's likely. I honestly do not know if folk would be happy with that or not.

[Concerning Dark Souls 3] Still confident they have it running on Switch. I do not know if the system was in docked or undocked mode when they were happy with performance.

Dev kits have ethernet. PRess event and public hands on demo units do not. Not sure if that matches retail. If the press event units are anything to go on you'll need a usb to ethernet dongle again.

Like pretty much every games console, the switch has gone through multiple dev kit iterations. There was one floating around in July a LOT of info on specs has been based on. Another went out to bigger devs in October. Some bigger indies are still working from the July dev kits. The Oct kit is more powerful overall than the July dev kit.
Neither is the one from this picture. https://i1.wp.com/cartridgegames.net...1/img_1029.jpg
I have seen this image debunked by numerous folk from several different developers.

Don't expect Monster Hunter to be in the Jan event.

The game never explained it to me, and I couldn't figure out. And since I could win fights without it, I just gave up.
I really think Monolith Soft should simplify a bit their battle system. It's way too deep for its own good. Just, get rid of unnecessary stuff.

hell no add even more shit in there

Astral Dog

Which are the positives? A Mario game...from Nintendo?
image.php

Astral Dog

Well, the recent Eurogamer Report actually didn't say that the chipset in the final console were X1s. In fact, it was the opposite: they said that some customization was done and that it included some elements of Pascal.
Dont even remember this because everyone was talking about the huge downclock

Maxrunner

Wow at these rumors
Being Laura reliable. .. I would say january event has many chances of being simply underwhelming and disappointing

No MH with all its implications
Mediocre third party games
Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No actual japanese buzz so far
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

I understand the situation coming from the wiiu trainwreck and having turned the back to the favorable japanese portable market despite having developed a nerfed down home console but with the opportunities opened by the hybrid concept and by the wiiu lesson learned I expected a totally different proposition from Nintendo in terms of first party volume variety and merging library and third party japanese positioning

I know people continue saying to wait for the reveal but time is running out and the rumors coming out are still all directed toward tris positioning and this situation with the missing point of the SRP about which I am not confident (being Nintendo pushing this as a home console on the go and not as THE portable to have. Aka I can see a wii price point but absolutely not a ds one and in my opinion it will be another mistake )

What rumours?

Debirudog

Zelda is still going to be here next year and relatively close to launch. Not seeing a big deal if it misses launch.

and I see nothing bad about the indie thing, so I stand by my post about Aostia then.

Rubixcuba

Banned
I wonder if the comment on the VC alludes to it being as sparse as thew launch of the Wii U VC? If the Gamecube is there that will mitigate the issue I think.

LordKano

Zelda is still going to be here next year and relatively close to launch. Not seeing a big deal if it misses launch.

and I see nothing bad about the indie thing, so I stand by my post about Aostia then.

Of course he's wrong (again) and trying to spin negatively these rumors, there's a vast majority of positive things there, and a few reassuring ones.
He's outright lying with bullshit like "backpedaling on BGE2" and "indie dev left behind".

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wow at these rumors
Being Laura reliable. .. I would say january event has many chances of being simply underwhelming and disappointing

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

I understand the situation coming from the wiiu trainwreck and having turned the back to the favorable japanese portable market despite having developed a nerfed down home console but with the opportunities opened by the hybrid concept and by the wiiu lesson learned I expected a totally different proposition from Nintendo in terms of first party volume variety and merging library and third party japanese positioning

I know people continue saying to wait for the reveal but time is running out and the rumors coming out are still all directed toward tris positioning and this situation with the missing point of the SRP about which I am not confident (being Nintendo pushing this as a home console on the go and not as THE portable to have. Aka I can see a wii price point but absolutely not a ds one and in my opinion it will be another mistake )
Welcome home, Burnt Pork.

KrawlMan

Round-up for those who missed it :

How is it that she seemingly has an answer for almost every question thrown at her? I would have expected her knowledge to be some small subset of a much larger superset. Is every team / project out there just leaking uncontrollably, and it just so happens people are reaching out to her specifically]?

Also, maybe I underestimate how interconnected the industry is, but how can she authoritatively say things like "don't expect franchise x at the event" (MH, Platinum, etc)?

I'm still a bit of a skeptic.

LordKano

How is it that she seemingly has an answer for almost every question thrown at her? I would have expected her knowledge to be some small subset of a much larger superset. Is every team / project out there just leaking uncontrollably, and it just so happens people are reaching out to her specifically]?

Also, maybe I underestimate how interconnected the industry is, but how can she authoritatively say things like "don't expect franchise x at the event" (MH, Platinum, etc)?

I'm still a bit of a skeptic.

She answered like 20 questions out of the 450 so she certainly didn't have a answer for almost every questions lol.

I haven't been participating in Switch discussions much at all so I don't know what the general consensus on it is, but I don't know how I feel about a Mario Kart 8 "extensively" enhanced port. Why not just make it Mario Kart 9 at that point? I'll wait and see what it's like before casting a firm judgment, though.

Waji

Can someone do a positive version of todays news ? :)
Monolithsoft new game is coming.
Now everyone's happy.

Seriously, I think this is all we need :
There are definately surprises left for the Jan 12th event. There's a lot of third party stuff not touched on, some hardware details, UI system level info and other info not yet spoiled. There's a pretty beefy presentation planned and, like some of Nintendo's better directs, it's going to be very info heavy.

Shahadan

She basically hasn't said anything we didn't already know anyway. Maybe Monster Hunter but that's it.

Some things I could have said myself
"at least 1 unexpected new IP!"

Well of course there is going to be at least one new IP and if it's new it's unexpected.

"People are going to be disappointed with VC!" well obviously.

I don't doubt she has info but that was a whole lot of nothing

Maxrunner

She basically hasn't said anything we didn't already know anyway. Maybe Monster Hunter but that's it.

Well of course there is going to be at least one new IP and if it's new it's unexpected.

Didnt she said good things about vc previously?

Oregano

No Platinum means no Nier Automata then. Shame.

Yoko Taro already said as much.

Honestly I'm not sure if Platinum is even working on a Switch game right now. They're just finishing up Nier and they've got the two CyGames games to work on then.

KingBroly

Banned
Nintendo may very well have considered MH on lock considering its always been a better performing saleswise Handheld series.

Sony wants to try and add new life to the PS4 so pays the bill and Capcom as Capcom has been decides westernizing is the key to success. I mean realistically it makes no sense whatsoever to develop a console only Monster Hunter.

It's an old rumor that was debunked a few times over. Desperate for MH, Sony moneyhatted the next one because they're desperate for it in Japan, only to have Capcom westernize it, pissing off Japanese fans AND the already-increasing western fanbase by completely changing how it plays, feels and looks. It's a recipe for pure disaster and makes no sense.

-MB-

Monolithsoft new game is coming.
Now everyone's happy.

Seriously, I think this is all we need :

The fact it is gonna retain the Xenoblade type of combat fills me with happiness. Did not want them to go the more action RPG route with their next game, and seems they won't.

MacTag

Banned
Wow at these rumors

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games
In reality this is what she said;

No MHXX at Jan 12 event
lots of 3rd party games will be announced, at least 2 exclusives
BG&E2 trailer coming but not for Jan event, reconfirming coming to Switch
No Metroid from Retro
Low paper specs won't matter, AAA games still portable and coming
Some indies still on non-final devkits
Nothing really on Japan, lol
Not achievements but there is something like them, might be MyNintendo related
Zelda likely June, focus on brand new Mario at launch
Wii U ports enhanced, a whopping six of them are coming
No Platinum announcement at Jan event

Oregano

Not to mention Scalebound

I actually did forget that... whooops!

It's an old rumor that was debunked a few times over. Desperate for MH, Sony moneyhatted the next one because they're desperate for it in Japan, only to have Capcom westernize it, pissing off Japanese fans AND the already-increasing western fanbase by completely changing how it plays, feels and looks. It's a recipe for pure disaster and makes no sense.

The fact that it would be a disaster is the one thing that makes it sound oddly plausible. Especially when it looks like other publishers are already trying the same thing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's obvious to me that Laura tries to not spoil much more than she already did at this point. The AMA was nice to read, but it's far from being very revealing about the January event.

The fact it is gonna retain the Xenoblade type of combat fills me with happiness. Did not want them to go the more action RPG route with their next game, and seems they won't.

Agreed but the battle system of X was a real step up of Xenoblade wii, I found it was the perfect pace between A-rpg and turn based system and i'm glad it will be back according to Laura.

KingBroly

Banned
Retro is a Nintendo studio. A Retro game is an internally developed Nintendo game

While Retro may be a Nintendo-owned studio, Retro really has no creative control. That's all NCL. Nothing Retro does can go ahead without approval of NCL. Also, Nintendo continues to not expand its' western developer portfolio after a decade.

LordKano

Yoko Taro already said as much.

Honestly I'm not sure if Platinum is even working on a Switch game right now. They're just finishing up Nier and they've got the two CyGames games to work on then.

At some point they were simultaneously making Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance and Legend of Korra. I'd say two or three projects are small task for them.

I haven't been participating in Switch discussions much at all so I don't know what the general consensus on it is, but I don't know how I feel about a Mario Kart 8 "extensively" enhanced port. Why not just make it Mario Kart 9 at that point? I'll wait and see what it's like before casting a firm judgment, though.

- Because Nintendo likes to make one new Mario Kart per platform
- Because they can put this out extremely quickly
- Because they can scoop up non-Wii U owners with an evergreen title
- Because they can get rebuys from Wii U owners
- Because this still allows them to put out Mario Kart 9 at a later date

Waji

Totally agree. They can keep upgrading, tweaking to get its best.
I wished the Grandia battle system could be treated the same and appear in newer games.

Though, I'd like to see how Monolithsoft would handle full action, just out of curiosity.
Sometimes I dream of Xenogears remade with Xenoblade-like features added to it.
It's awesome in my imagination.

Roo

What makes you think they won't call it Mario Kart 9?
If they add, say, 16-20 new tracks, a real battle mode, new characters, etc they could sell it as a new game with all the Wii U content packed in instead of the other way around.
That's a lot of value right there. Not to mention the possibility of new DLC down the road.

yankee666

Monster Hunter MUST be on the Jan event, otherwise it was just a dick move from Capcom to release MH Cross Cross on the potential Launch week of the Switch.
That would alienate a lot of potential Switch buyers, at least in Japan

While Retro may be a Nintendo-owned studio, Retro really has no creative control. That's all NCL. Nothing Retro does can go ahead without approval of NCL. Also, Nintendo continues to not expand its' western developer portfolio after a decade.

What pisses me off most about this is that it's probably because they're a Western studio. Monolith seems to have complete freedom in terms of what they do

Oregano

At some point they were simultaneously making Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance and Legend of Korra. I'd say two or three projects are small task for them.

True, but Nier, Scalebound and Granblue all seem bigger in scope. Lost Order is probably similar in scope to Korra though.

Sadist

The LKD rumours sound good to me.

3DS didn't have Monster Hunter from the get go either right? They announced Tri Ultimate together with the Frankenstick in 2011 if I remember correctly.

MomoQca

That isn't true. We now know that Monolith Soft is working on what's likely a third Xenoblade game instead of a new IP.

LordKano

True, but Nier, Scalebound and Granblue all seem bigger in scope. Lost Order is probably similar in scope to Korra though.

Granblue is a mobile's adaptation though, I doubt it will be anything major.
But I agree that we shouldn't expect to see anything from Platinum Games in a near future, except maybe ports of Bayonetta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom