• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

Granblue is a mobile's adaptation though, I doubt it will be anything major.
But I agree that we shouldn't expect to see anything from Platinum Games in a near future, except maybe ports of Bayonetta.

Well from the little we know Granblue is a full fledged Action RPG and CyGames seems to be talking big talk about funding big budget RPGs.

LordKano

Well from the little we know Granblue is a full fledged Action RPG and CyGames seems to be talking big talk about funding big budget RPGs.

Maybe they're working on that one for Switch ? It was announced for PS4 I believe, and for 2018. Would make sense to just add a new platform to the development, if they want to go big with this adaptation.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Capcom can announce MH whenever they want and people will listen. It doesn't need to be at the January event.

MomoQca

What pisses me off most about this is that it's probably because they're a Western studio. Monolith seems to have complete freedom in terms of what they do

To be fair, Monolith Soft is first-and-foremost a company that specializes in making RPGs. I'm sure Nintendo bought them for that specific reason.

Shahadan

That isn't true. We now know that Monolith Soft is working on what's likely a third Xenoblade game instead of a new IP.

I'd like to see rumors suggesting a new IP from Monolith because so far everything we had heard pointed to xenoblade, if that was not obvious anyway considering the ending of X

So yeah, nothing new.

Oregano

You should look at threads such as this here.

Most people seem to be fine with the current setup(though personally having to install sucks) and people actually perceive cartridges more negatively.

Maybe they're working on that one for Switch ? It was announced for PS4 I believe, and for 2018. Would make sense to just add a new platform to the development, if they want to go big with this adaptation.

I think if that was the case we probably would have seen CyGames on the list of Switch partners. I know it was exhaustive but it would have made sense to put them on over Paritybit, Nippon Ichi, Grasshopper, Tokyo RPG Factory or even Platinum.

KingBroly

Banned
To be fair, Monolith Soft is first-and-foremost a company that specializes in making RPGs. I'm sure Nintendo bought them for that specific reason.

I think people in general want:
A - Retro to have more creative control of their projects since they're Nintendo owned
B - Nintendo needs more western developers in general

Astral Dog

Yoko Taro already said as much.

Honestly I'm not sure if Platinum is even working on a Switch game right now. They're just finishing up Nier and they've got the two CyGames games to work on then.
I think focusing on both PS4 and PC is good for Platinum, they make sure their engine runs well on the base PS4 and can focus on the game despite not looking too hot graphically or at 1080p.
Its more curious not even an Xbox port was made considering its guaranteed to sell more than a launch Switch game but thats SE call.

As for Platinum, they might be busy but are very efficient, dont doubt they are cooking something for Switch right now regardless if they announce it in January or later, they became one of Nintendos most reliable partners and are among the developers officially supporting the device.

MacTag

Banned
The LKD rumours sound good to me.

3DS didn't have Monster Hunter from the get go either right? They announced Tri Ultimate together with the Frankenstick in 2011 if I remember correctly.
Yes, the MH deal was announced Sep 2011. There were also MHP3rd HD Vita rumors that persisted even after the 3DS MH3G/MH4 announcement.

You should look at threads such as this here.
The reality is physical media in general is seen as antiquated. We are at least past the idea that cards are worse than discs.

Oregano

Capcom can announce MH whenever they want and people will listen. It doesn't need to be at the January event.

Well the issue with that would be that MHXX is releasing the same week Switch is according to Laura, possibly the same day even. There wouldn't be much space to announce between the Jan event and launch if it wasn't just releasing on 3DS in March which would be weird.

Either way something is amiss IMO.

I'd like to see rumors suggesting a new IP from Monolith because so far everything we had heard pointed to xenoblade, if that was not obvious anyway considering the ending of X

So yeah, nothing new.

If I remember correctly, XCX was originally labelled as a new IP when it was first teased.

Anyway, it seems like any RPG headed by Takahashi will keep the Xenoblade name since he said in an interview that the only meaning to the Xenoblade name is that it's an RPG headed by Takahashi. So if the team wanted to make a different RPG they might still call it Xenoblade and make it a spiritual successor.

Shahadan

People are expecting way too much from the january event anyway.
They should remember that Nintendo is rarely one to show stuff that is not releasing soonish, and that they have to focus mainly on launch while keeping stuff for E3.

People lose thier minds at Sony conferences because they announce games that won't release for years or haven't even started development. Nintendo should probably do that more often because it's a good strategy but so far they really haven't

Astral Dog

Yes, the MH deal was announced Sep 2011. There were also MHP3rd HD Vita rumors that persisted even after the 3DS MH3G/MH4 announcement.

The reality is physical media in general is seen as antiquated. We are at least past the idea that cards are worse than discs.
i wonder how much fast the cards are compared to the One/PS4 Blu Ray drives
Of Nier? I wouldn't be so sure about that. There's a reason the second platform is Steam.
Technically, i think its possible but not without a big investment from SE and Nier was never a thing on Nintendo systems, they would ve more interested on devoting their resources on their more well known series on Switch .

EhoaVash

January event i'm expecting stuff thats releasing until betwen march - beginning of Fall.

E3 they'll show case the big holiday game ( pokemon stars? ) and 2018 titles.

Zoon

No MH on launch is both good and bad news for me. Bad because I won't be buying the switch without MH but good since it means it will be a new game and not a 3DS port.

Akki

And we should believe you because...?

Nintendo has 3 huge servicebased multiplayer games. Mario Kart, Splatoon and Smash. According to her sources Mario Kart is going to be a huge upgrade and judging from the Splatoon footage it will feature new content aswell.

Smash has sold 13 million copies. 12 million are probably casual gamer. What´s the incentive to buy the game if it doesn´t have new content? If they add Splatoon character for example they might create interest from the huge japanese Splatoon community.

MH is probably Nintendo´s biggest 3rd party IP/exclusive. We know the new MH has Nintendo marketing and is set to release on March 18th. Why would Capcom launch their biggest franchise at exactly the same date as the Switch? MH XX sales will be negativly impacted and the Switch sales in Japan aswell. Correct me if I´m wrong but i don´t think Nintendo and Capcom want to make less money. MH XX will get a Switch version and will be shown in january.

LordKano

They should remember that Nintendo is rarely one to show stuff that is not releasing soonish, and that they have to focus mainly on launch while keeping stuff for E3.

People lose thier minds at Sony conferences because they announce games that won't release for years or haven't even started development. Nintendo should probably do that more often because it's a good strategy but so far they really haven't

Even by showing only 2017 games I think they can have a pretty good show.
Zelda BoTW/3D Mario/Pikmin 4/Pokémon Stars/Retro Studio's new game/all the ports/some unknown games yet.

+ third-party stuff like Dragon Quest X&XI/Skyrim/Rabbids x Mario/Project Sonic/maybe BGE2.

There's enough content to fullfill a whole two hours event and only by talking about 2017.

Do you think that massive Wii U porting could damage the Switch image?.
I think they should flood the system with Wii U ports and then brand the new games as
"Switch Originals" or something like that.

It didn't damage neither PS4 or Xbox One. It would be very hypocritical if that were to damage the Switch.

Cartridges/Gamecards are worse than discs? LOL

The Switch is coming out in March, I'm fully expecting to get full launch details and a full look at the system. Anything less and I'll be disappointed.

Peltz

They will at least show some games they've been holding back. I'd assume we'll see Retro's project at the very least.... (I hope).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
January event i'm expecting stuff thats releasing until betwen march - beginning of Fall.

E3 they'll show case the big holiday game ( pokemon stars? ) and 2018 titles.

If they do this and the games realising between March and beginning of Fall are mostly Wii U ports they will blow it big time. All the goodwill will be down the drain. More so if the DF info is accurate.

They better show some original content. Same this, Port this... would be a horrible showing

edit: yep what kingsnake said. They cant be showing all this samey shit. Thats what killed Wii U in the begining. Instead of Mario Maker at launch we got New Super Mario Bros

Shahadan

If they do this and the games realising between March and beginning of Fall are mostly Wii U ports they will blow it big time. All the goodwill will be down the drain. More so if the DF info is accurate.

For you maybe. Ports of hyper popular multiplayer games like MK, Smash and Splatoon with the right additions will make people lose their shit. And make good press, provided they're not dumb enough to allow more screen time for ports rather than the new Mario and Zelda.

18-Volt

Yes, I also like those rumors.

My comments;
- My guesses for unannounced Nintendo stuff for Switch: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Kirby. Third party wise, I expect surprises from EA, Square-enix and Take-two. Ubisoft will disappoint us.
- If the PS4 casual MH rumors are true, we might get Switch MH a lot later than many expected.
- HW rumors sound good and a little comforting. I don't care about compromises, I just want to play console ports on the go. 30 fps is enough for me.
- They'll probably focus on GC and Wii for launch VC. My guesses for week 1: Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine, Rogue Squadron 2.
- Platinum is busy as hell, I don't think their Switch game would be announced this early.
- Monolith's new game will probably take couple of years to complete.
- That Mother 3 game is definitely VC. And for Switch and 3DS both.
- I don't think Pokémon Stars (or whatever they're gonna call it) has any new pokémon, that would make it incompatible with Sun & Mon. It's either 8th gen Pokémon game or those "new" Pokémon are just new Alolan forms that exclusive to "that" version of the game.
- After the flunk that is Federation Force, I don't expect a Metroid game so soon.
- DS3 running on Switch is a good sign, that means PS4/Xbone games can be run at satisfying levels. I expect some surprises at next month's event but not DS3. Sounds like it's not official yet.
- Wii Ports like Mario Kart 8, Pokkén, Splatoon and XCX will probably come at launch window but sounds like Smash needs a little more time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For you maybe. Ports of hyper popular multiplayer games like MK, Smash and Splatoon with the right additions will make people lose their shit. And make good press, provided they're not dumb enough to allow more screen time for ports rather than the new Mario and Zelda.

Hyper popular means people already saw them plenty of times. It will be nice to see, but nothing compared to new games. Zelda already had more than enough screen time. Mario is the new thing here.

It needs more new things on screen than Wii U games, because it's a new system not Wii U reloaded.

Roo

Basically this.
In the ports' case, show the new content first with well made trailers.
For Smash, have the newcomer intro and then show, say, Inkling girl on her Splatoon stage, proceed with a few HD 3DS/brand new stages and slowly get to the point they make clear it's the Wii U version enhanced.

Same with Kart and the rest of the ports.

Vena

Yeah count me in there too. Might be something obvious but it sounded like it came from a place of knowledge.

Oh nevermind.

I realize now what he wrote or at least read it again and noticed the generality of it and that it was a reply to Aostia. "(Some) People will be disappointed (as in there isn't something for everyone)..." because he's obviously saying it in opposition to Aostia and his comment then goes super positive. Otherwise it's a silly contradiction, haha.

Shahadan

Hyper popular means people already saw them plenty of times. It will be nice to see, but nothing compared to new games. Zelda already had more than enough screen time. Mario is the new thing here.

It needs more new things on screen than Wii U games, because it's a new system not Wii U reloaded.

If there are really 16 new tracks for Mario Kart, new characters, new battle mode, they could even call it Mario Kart 9 and the press and public will eat that shit up.
"New nintendo console with a new mario kart at launch" you can already see the headlines.
Same for Splatoon. Add a game mode, something like 8 new maps, few accessories, call it however you want, it's done.

You're going to be disappointed and bitter. Launch and first year of a console are always shit and made of ports and rush jobs because devs couldn't have kits in time. Even Mario has apparently been started on Wii U. Zelda is a Wii U game they'll sell as a brand new Switch game.

On top of that it's Nintendo.

Oregano

Oh nevermind.

I realize now what he wrote or at least read it again and noticed the generality of it and that it was a reply to Aostia. "(Some) People will be disappointed (as in there isn't something for everyone)..." because he's obviously saying it in opposition to Aostia and his comment then goes super positive. Otherwise it's a silly contradiction, haha.

Hmmm, you might be right. I'm really not sure!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"New nintendo console with a new mario kart at launch" you can already see the headlines.

This is like in a fantasy media world. Like you haven't been here at the Wii U launch, if you think that this would be the title and not "Switch: Wii U reloaded?"

Edit: and stop trying to make this discussion personal, it's ridiculous.

Oregano

This is like in an fantasy media world. Like you haven't been here at the Wii U launch, if you think that this would be the title and not "Switch: Wii U reloaded?"

Oh shit, that's like dead on. The sad reality is that no matter what there's going to be articles dragging Nintendo down, they need to provide the least ammo possible.

If there are really 16 new tracks for Mario Kart, new characters, new battle mode, they could even call it Mario Kart 9 and the press and public will eat that shit up.
Same for Splatoon. Add a game mode, something like 8 new maps, few accessories, call it however you want, it's done.

You're going to be disappointed and bitter. Launch and first year of a console are always shit and made of ports and rush jobs because devs couldn't have kits in time. Even Mario has apparently been started on Wii U. Zelda is a Wii U game they'll sell as a brand new Switch game.

On top of that it's Nintendo.
The press would call Nintendo out so quick on those ports.

We talking bout polygon, ign, gamespot, eurogamer. Not Wallstreet Journal or Bloomberg

Shahadan

This is like in an fantasy media world. Like you haven't been here at the Wii U launch, if you think that this would be the title and not "Switch: Wii U reloaded?"

Not where it matters in mainstream papers where people writing this shit won't know the difference or won't care. We've seen this more than once, lol.
The only Wii U reloaded shit will be on gmaing forums and some gaming websites and most people won't actually care because they want those ports.

Edit: how am I making this "personal"? sigh

oti

Banned
Hmmm, you might be right. I'm really not sure!
March is gonna be wild, that's for sure.
They'll make it obvious that Mario Kart is a port with a plus on content and that Splatoon Switch is the second game of the franchise. It would make the most sense.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Edit: how am I making this "personal"? sigh

Like this:

For you maybe.

You're going to be disappointed and bitter.

__

They'll make it obvious that Mario Kart is a port with a plus on content and that Splatoon Switch is the second game of the franchise. It would make the most sense.

I have no issues with the ports as such, my whole point was that Nintendo needs to have at the event more new games than ports and more time dedicated to new things than to the Wii U ports. The ports should be there, it will be fine, but they must not steal the show.

Shahadan

Like this:

That's it? holy shit.

I was just responding to your take on the matter. How is that called making it personal?

I have no issues with the ports as such, my whole point was that Nintendo needs to have at the event more new games than ports and more time dedicated to new things than to the Wii U ports. The ports should be there, it will be fine, but they must not steal the show.

And on top of that you're agreeing with me. Or I was agreeing with you. I was just saying that expecting let's say, 8 big games at launch VS 4 ports is a bad idea. They'll probably keep one ports or two for later in the year anyway.

edit:
You're making assumptions about me that have no relevance to the topic discussed.

Sure, totally. Man I hate this place sometimes

Roo

You're givin the ports too much importance. They won't steal anything.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You're givin the ports too much importance. They won't steal anything.

This whole discussion started from the assumption that Nintendo will only show the games coming from March to beginning of the fall, in the post I quoted first time. That's more or less 6 months of games. Mario, Zelda and 3 Wii U ports already cutting it pretty close. I'm not giving them anything, I was just following a line of discussion, answering to a post.

Oddduck

If it doesn't show up in the January 12 event, I'm going to assume it's simply not happening.

Are we expecting Nintendo to reveal all of their Virtual Console plans at the January event?

If Laura Kate Dale, Emily, Eurogamer, and Nintendo World Report are all saying Mother 3 exists, then maybe there's some smoke to this fire.

Kimishima already said that software is extremely important to make switch a success, so i'm sure they will show at least the games of this entire year, and E3 will be 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom