• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

Regarding people guessing $40 for individual joycons, I can see where they're coming from--it's the price wiimotes went for, so there's a precedent for what the sort-of-half-controller goes for. Personally I don't think the standard joycons will be sold individually, at least outside of Nintendo's online store.

$40 makes sense but it does suck.

I expect we don't see variants for a few months at least after launch. Their big thing will be to get as many systems out there as possible.

No, Nintendo made a whole new physics engine for BOTW. You can still see by the Zelda jank that its still using that wind waker engine or whatever though.

Monolithsoft is helping with the game so some environmental/texture design philosophies you can see bleeding through.

ok good enough, really happy to see the scale of this world can't wait to see what project Monolith is working on

Definitely; 3D World's soundtrack was bloody brilliant but as that was the only 3D Mario we got on the Wii U, and it wasn't a 'true' 3D Mario it just hampered my overall feelings towards the game somewhat. I think Nintendo should just scrap the "New" series and replace it with games like 3D World that aren't as big as the big main 3D Marios but still hold a lot of charm whilst offering a more linear experience.

While I agree and love 3d world prepare to get it from other members here.

Peterc

No, Nintendo made a whole new physics engine for BOTW. You can still see by the Zelda jank that its still using that wind waker engine or whatever though.

Monolithsoft is helping with the game so some environmental/texture design philosophies you can see bleeding through.

As developer, i would say that every game engine exist from an older engine.
They will never build one from start, it' way to much work to do that.

Dystify

Sadly not... Nintendo chose to release these screens via Facebook and as such, they get compressed. Not sure why they don't also upload them to the official site.

Well the screenshot on facebook is 1280x720 pixel (720p), which seems to be the Wii U resolution.

The joycons most likely come with that controller shape mount for pad use if you were to buy replacements, and i'd expect something like that to be £40+ (since ps4 and xbox one controllers rrp at similar prices)

Oersted

I think some people really need to calm down. This is an event for the Switch's launch, expect just the launch games and maybe... maybe launch window. Nothing else.

Don't expect anything we haven't already heard about.

I always "only" expect what I know about with everything.

Given what we know about Switch, I'm hyped.

As developer, i would say that every game engine exist from an older engine.
They will never build one from start, it' way to much work to do that.

Yeah I think so to. Sometime it can be detrimental. See madden.

I think COD still uses a quake engine technically. And to be honest I think the windwaker engine was super mario 64s or something idk. I aint a tech guy just what I heard before.

I think some people really need to calm down. This is an event for the Switch's launch, expect just the launch games and maybe... maybe launch window. Nothing else.

Don't expect anything we haven't already heard about.

I think we'll get a few teases of late 2017/2018 games, but little more than brief teaser trailers and glimpses. They'll save those games to be their heavy-hitters at E3.

Matbtz

Great screenshot even though I guess the quality of the screenshot is not so good. This is kinda blurry and not looking crisp.

Plum

I think we'll get a few teases of late 2017/2018 games, but little more than brief teaser trailers and glimpses. They'll save those games to be their heavy-hitters at E3.

Yeah I'm going with this. The Treehouse and substantial gameplay demos/trailers will be for March-September titles then E3 will be for focusing on late 2017 and beyond. People saying it will focus exclusively on launch seem to forget that Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101 were shown off at the (pretty crap) 2012 Wii U Preview Event.

Peterc

Well the screenshot on facebook is 1280x720 pixel (720p), which seems to be the Wii U resolution.

It doesn't work like that, it's not only about the size.

for example, when you upload a 4k PNG picture to facebook or an 1620x920px JPG picture. The 1620 will probably look better.
Also facebook compressor has issues with some color and does make it dirty when it resize it.

They are not using a photoshop tool, but rather some php tools to resize it I think

Maogp

Mmh, there are different interesting things here.

This guy talk about platform instead of hardware and talk about a "modular hd console".

For platform maybe suggest something more of a simple "console" as hardware+software but an ecosystem that can survive for different generations?

And for modular console maybe is talking about an hypotetical dock 2.0?

Ok, only 2 days, only 2 days XD

Dystify

It doesn't work like that, it's not only about the size.

for example, when you upload a 4k PNG picture to facebook or an 1620x920px JPG picture. The 1620 will probably look better.
Also facebook compressor has issues with some color and does make it dirty when it resize it.

They are not using a photoshop tool, but rather some php tools to resize it I think

Ah, alright. Thanks.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
New Zelda screenshot from The Legend of Zelda facebook.

C160Lz3XAAAOgv6.jpg

Amazing

ar4757

That shit is illegal now. Welcome to Trump's America.

Wrong, that happened long before. It's hilarious how gaf is so bitter about Trump's win

I'm too lazy to make a bingo, but here's my list
Zelda at Launch
3D Mario
Splatoon Pack-in
Pokemon Stars
Smash
Mario Maker
Mario Kart
GCN VC
TTYD HD
Platinum Games
Mario & Luigi major overhaul
Mother 3
MegaMan
The World Ends With You sequel
Shin Megami Tensei V
Rune Factory 5
One more thing
Fast charging
Alternate joycons
Proper account system
$250
TMS
Free Online
Variable game pricing

If any of those third party things are shown that'd be crazy, but those are just for fun not necessarily realistic. I do think they SMTV and RF5 will be announced on the Switch this year though

Josh5890

I think they need one 2018 title (Metroid, Donkey Kong, ect) shown just to add hype. Save the rest for E3 and beyond

Tell me about it. I'm tired of mainstream "most wished Nintendo comebacks". Metroid, F-Zero. No one is actually wants them back even though they say otherwise. I bet people will buy a new F-Zero but hardly play it.

Ask stuff that actually matter, people. Advance Wars, Kid Icarus, Golden Sun, Warioland, Eternal Darkness, Ouendan...

You know, I played Metroid Prime 3 and thought it was pretty fun. I got the trilogy, and it all felt samey, and I ended up not completing it. Now, I totally see the quality in the game design and I completely understand why people see them as GOTY material, but I just didn't have enough enthusiasm to last through three games. I also played Metroid when I was a kid, and it was too confusing for my casual sensibilities. I never ended up trying Super Metroid (or Metroid II), so Metroidvanias really just passed me by.

But holy crap, I just finished Knytt Underground, and it's all completely clicking for me. I just started on a run through of Super Metroid (ugh, on a keyboard... I would be very happy to get it day one if it's on the Switch VC), and I can finally truly enjoy it. I'm also ready for a new Metroid game of the same style, and I think I'd play it very heartily.

My basic point is that you put Metroid on the wrong list. And Kid Icarus isn't really a single game genre anymore, since the classic version (a mostly-vertical platformer) and the new version (like... a Space Harrier clone, looks it) aren't even remotely similar. You should swap the two of them and be done with it.

Somebody's going to bring in Metroid side games to thwart my point about Kid Icarus and genres, aren't they?

Oersted

Mmh, there are different interesting things here.

This guy talk about platform instead of hardware and talk about a "modular hd console".

For platform maybe suggest something more of a simple "console" as hardware+software but an ecosystem that can survive for different generations?

And for modular console maybe is talking about an hypotetical dock 2.0?

Ok, only 2 days, only 2 days XD

Don't forget

“By no means was that everything,” Kimishima said,
referring to a video a week ago that introduced the product’s name and showed Switch being used as both a console and portable device featuring modular controllers and accessories.

Kimishima suggested that the Switch is part of a bigger ecosystem. "It may be appropriate to call them accessories. Or it might be better to call them add-on hardware. It’s probably more correct to call them accessories. You can assume that there will be a wider array."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ent-hints-of-bigger-hardware-plans-for-switch

There is more to Switch. Atleast planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom