• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Expansion Pass priced at $49.99 a year, increasing the price by $30 a year

A monthly option would be fair

• Exactly, you're smart and precious.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • No, you're dumb... bastard!

Votes: 80 72.7%

• Total voters

Jsisto

Won’t get a penny out of me til these apparent issues are addressed. What an absolute joke for a premium service. Was going to get it at least for the animal crossing paid dlc, but I’d rather buy that separately than give them money for n64 games than run worse than on N64.

nikos

My NSO sub just lapsed and my girlfriend and I want to play the AC expansion, so I guess I'm going to pay the $80 for a family plan. Hopefully they roll out content more frequently because I'm not really interested in the current N64 and Genesis games.

Cutty Flam

Banned
To the untrained eye (I don't play PC games, last console purchased before Switch was in 2008) the input lag for OoT and SM64 doesn't look like an issue. Looks like what you could expect from the N64 versions

But that Mario Kart 64 lag is horrendous. I don't get it, MK8 Deluxe doesn't have lag from the games that I have played online, why does MK4 get the short end of the stick in terms of its netcode? This is the issue with the NSO subscription, they almost don't have a right to call it online when we're talking about the NES, SNES, and now N64 + Genesis retro games because there is no matchmaking, it’s difficult to even PLAY online bc the friend code system is not user friendly; there is no way to communicate w/ each other

That's the one complaint, Nintendo is so cheap with their provided online service. They need to change this

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Genesis games seem fine.

Sorry to spoil the party pooping, but the lag shown here in OoT and Mario 64 really doesn’t look like a dealbreaker to me. People were making similar videos on the Switch version of Hollow Knight and the game played perfectly fine - heck, the lag shown in those videos looked even worse iirc. Sure, if you’re used to speed running on original hardware then yeah, I bet it feels sluggier, but really doesn’t look as bad as this person wants to make it look.

Online lag is clearly awful though, no question.
BTW, the “people with shitty Internet” comment is... legit? The code clearly needs more work, but I’ve had online Switch sessions with Smash, etc that were flawless and others where it all crawled down to 5fps or so. That’s not “defending” the service, ffs.

WTF is this discount btw? I have 2 years worth of the Family plan already and I get £4 off for an upgrade? So generous
Lol is the the 4p discount per days of subscription remaining? I saw that and thought wow, how generous.

It also cancels whatever current sub you have I think. What a joke.

At a first glance the emulation looks alright but yeah… there are many issues. To start, the input lag is horrendous. The image quality is somewhat weird as it is like they bumped up contrast and that’s all.Not even worth mentioning the online multiplayer and the controller pre-order non-sense.

TLZ

Banned
At a first glance the emulation looks alright but yeah… there are many issues. To start, the input lag is horrendous. The image quality is somewhat weird as it is like they bumped up contrast and that’s all.Not even worth mentioning the online multiplayer and the controller pre-order non-sense.
What's wrong with the controller preorder?

Sorry to spoil the party pooping, but the lag shown here in OoT and Mario 64 really doesn’t look like a dealbreaker to me. People were making similar videos on the Switch version of Hollow Knight and the game played perfectly fine - heck, the lag shown in those videos looked even worse iirc. Sure, if you’re used to speed running on original hardware then yeah, I bet it feels sluggier, but really doesn’t look as bad as this person wants to make it look.

Online lag is clearly awful though, no question.
BTW, the “people with shitty Internet” comment is... legit? The code clearly needs more work, but I’ve had online Switch sessions with Smash, etc that were flawless and others where it all crawled down to 5fps or so. That’s not “defending” the service, ffs.
Yeah, the Mario 64 input lag doesn't seem especially awful, but is worse than the 3D All Stars version. OoT however, he posted a direct comparison, that does look pretty poor to me, however the OoT emulation on this seems jank in general at the moment compared to the others included. I was going to post a image, but a few posts above me already showed it, some messed up textures and missing effects in parts among other things. Hopefully they fix it up in the future.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Online was just about the only reason I had to consider this, but no thanks.

Many of these games won't control well without an N64 controller anyway which is an extra hardware just to play rented games...

Yeahhh no thanks Nintendo.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, the Mario 64 input lag doesn't seem especially awful, but is worse than the 3D All Stars version. OoT however, he posted a direct comparison, that does look pretty poor to me, however the OoT emulation on this seems jank in general at the moment compared to the others included. I was going to post a image, but a few posts above me already showed it, some messed up textures and missing effects in parts among other things. Hopefully they fix it up in the future.
The emulation is a bit of a step down compared to the standalone Super Mario 3D collection:
hOpBqqO.jpg

*NSO on the left side
All or most of the pre rendered items and UI elements have not received the likely ML based upscaling Nintendo did for the collection. I would say play the collection one if you have it.

I barely use the original tier as is but fear of missing out has me resubbing every year. Adding value would make me feel better but no, they jacked up the price. Voting no with my wallet.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not paying that

Is pretty awesome that we can play Mario Kart 64 and Star Fox 64 online, but holy shit, that netcode is green as fuck. It's 2021, Nintendo. No excuses now

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The emulation is a bit of a step down compared to the standalone Super Mario 3D collection:
hOpBqqO.jpg

*NSO on the left side
All or most of the pre rendered items and UI elements have not received the likely ML based upscaling Nintendo did for the collection. I would say play the collection one if you have it.
Is it upscaling? 3D Allstars Collection had redone assets in multiple places. Anything that is a flat sprite, or logo go redone.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Damn. I hope no one defends this.
"Defend", lol @ people getting emotional with toys not being what they want, but whatever, I've not seen anyone "defend" (lol) anything, just a handful of people paying for it and being done with it cause they actually seem to play games. BTW this is not even close in value to SM3DSA for most so most if not all the comments I read are throwing shit at it, specially now with all the problems it has

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think it's also important to note that the bar for N64 emulation is MUCH higher now than it was a couple years ago, too. Playing m64p with Parallel-rdp is like better than perfect, real, low-level N64 emulation. I am not gonna pay money for the kind of old school dookie N64 emulation I could get on a raspberry pi.

Stoneberg7

Neo Member
People are surprised about this? Do you not know Nintendo? They make great games but everyone knows how greedy they can be. Nintendo don't even try to hide it.
I'm not surprised. Just disappointed.
Basically my attitude with Nintendo since the original eShop wouldn't transfer purchases between the Wii and WiiU/3DS.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nintendo always gonna nintendo. Hopefully they do a significant pass on this and clean it up.

Umbasaborne

Banned
54734664.jpg

On a side note, they should just make ocarina of time and majoras mask 3d in hd. We know from miitopia that hd 3ds games hold up reasonably well, do it nintendo!

Last edited:

SCB3

54734664.jpg

On a side note, they should just make ocarina of time and majoras mask 3d in hd. We know from miitopia that hd 3ds games hold up reasonably well, do it nintendo!
Just port over the 3DS versions, upscale them and make the touch controls a menu again, not the hardest thing to do, I'd buy them

NickFire

I'm not going to get rid of our Switch (or games / accessories), but I think my house is done buying Nintendo products for the rest of this generation. This pricing model is kind of insulting to me after I've already paid MSRP for any games on this service that I might try once or twice. Enough is enough on the price gouging for old games.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
More and more I'm glad I held on to some of my favorite older systems and games.

If it's not poor emulation, then it's stuff like this, which popped up in the Collection of SaGa rerelease:
*These titles have largely been faithfully replicated in their original forms, but several changes have been made to meet evolving cultural and social norms.

Tg89

It's a shame about OoT. Hopefully they fix it.

Couldn't care less about MK64, that game sucks. Beyond me why anyone would have played it back in the day when DKR and CTR were readily available. Hopefully they add DKR soon, be nice to have a competent kart racer on there.

uKWQ7KY.jpg

Pc. Look at the fog in the background nice depth effect.
G1j24QY.jpg

Nintendo switch HERP DI DERP
NSTsfTO.jpg

Same nice fog on the 3DS version

iaqsmek.png

and android emulation 👋

Fucking $50 a year 😂😂😂😂
t1zw6LC.jpg

running on my OG hardware

This is unacceptable from Nintendo. How you gonna have the worst version of your own games on your own damn hardware? Nintendo are the most successful they have ever been, yet they are putting in the least amount of effort they ever have. They get a pass compared to sony or Microsoft who are criticised to death for any little mistake they make.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So the Genesis stuff is 9 games for an extra $30 a year. Or you can buy a physical cartridge with 50 Genesis games on it (and a way more rad loading screen) for $30 and keep them forever physically.

Looks like the N64 offerings are equally lackluster.

Jsisto

So the Genesis stuff is 9 games for an extra $30 a year. Or you can buy a physical cartridge with 50 Genesis games on it (and a way more rad loading screen) for $30 and keep them forever physically.

Looks like the N64 offerings are equally lackluster.
The genesis collection on the shop is incredible. Makes it all the more confusing why Nintendo went this route instead of say, N64 and game boy. There’s literally a far superior genesis right there. It’s insulting to the intelligence of people who know better.

Top Bottom