• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Expansion Pass priced at $49.99 a year, increasing the price by $30 a year

A monthly option would be fair

• Exactly, you're smart and precious.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • No, you're dumb... bastard!

Votes: 80 72.7%

• Total voters

Cutty Flam

Banned
The GOAT N64 is worth $30

Wish we could buy one or the other though, if I’m playing N64 + Sega Genesis games it’s not likely I’ll even have enough time for the NES and SNES options on top of that so why pay for both. They should figure too, the hardcore gamers have likely played the NES and SNES games a ton by now as well, so an option for either or would be the consumer friendly option. It could bring more people in with two options; on or the other or both

If they're offering Super Mario 64 then maybe a year down the line they'll offer Mario Party, Mario Party 2, and Mario Party 3? Very unlikely but there might be a small chance

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
you’re better off buying a N64 and games at that rate.

...What? You do realize an N64 alone will cost somewhere between 20 USD to 100 USD depending on the version and condition (as well as if it is CIB or not). And games alone can be anywhere between 5 USD to 70 USD, if not more for low print/highly sought after titles.

Literally all the games available on this service day one would cost you four times the cost if you wanted to buy them.

If they were part of a "virtual console" you still would pay *more* as its usually 9.99 to 14.99 for these titles each.

jdforge

Banned
This is really poor value. Nintendo are 100% taking the piss here.

Hopefully they’ll review this pricing strategy and announce something much more palatable or massively enhance the services/offerings - Both seem unlikely cos Nintendo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I saw one for like $120 inside a shop the other week, they've gone up a lot

Yep. They are not cheap. Don't think a lot of folks realize that.

I will say I do agree with many that Ninty needs *far* better releases at a good, continuous pace. But even Xbox has slowed to a freakin' crawl with their BC offerings. In a perfect world we would get new major updates every month or two.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I saw one for like $120 inside a shop the other week, they've gone up a lot

That's kinda crazy. Considering how shitty the OG controllers are, N64 is maybe the only retro system where I think playing on original hardware kinda sucks compared to emulation. I played Star Fox 64 not too long ago and was like...oh boy I get to find batteries for the rumble pak.

...What? You do realize an N64 alone will cost somewhere between 20 USD to 100 USD depending on the version and condition (as well as if it is CIB or not). And games alone can be anywhere between 5 USD to 70 USD, if not more for low print/highly sought after titles.

Literally all the games available on this service day one would cost you four times the cost if you wanted to buy them.

If they were part of a "virtual console" you still would pay *more* as its usually 9.99 to 14.99 for these titles each.
You’ll still hold value in your system and collection. So you could always sell and get most of your money back or more depending on what you buy and when. If the N64 is just a passing curiosity then it’s logical to pay for something you won’t play much. But if N64 is your jam them buying the system makes more sense in the long run.

SEGA_2012

Holy God look the like/dislike bar right now :

yjaCpUp.png

Like i said for me it is day one.

Cutty Flam

Banned
That's kinda crazy. Considering how shitty the OG controllers are, N64 is maybe the only retro system where I think playing on original hardware kinda sucks compared to emulation. I played Star Fox 64 not too long ago and was like...oh boy I get to find batteries for the rumble pak.
I was very surprised as well, if they ever go down in price to $40 it would be worth it to pick one up but idk…they’re all used by now

I do love the N64 controller though. Even held it incorrectly for years according to the normal way others played with it and still loved its design and feel. It’s a very unique controller with its grip, buttons layout, its feel but the games played with it felt amazing to control the same

Wish my N64 never broke, we played those games constantly. Well into the time of the Wii was that N64 system still getting a lot of use. It’ll be interesting to see how these games play on a Pro Controller and Gamecube Controller

But yea, that rumble pak and expansion pak was kinda funny. First time using it was for Majora’s Mask or maybe DK64

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The thing that worries me most is their lack of commitment to adding games on a monthly basis. The fact that they simply say "more games will be added in the future" makes me think it's going to be another case of dripping feeding an obscure title once in a blue moon. To me, that simply doesn't make for a compelling value, and as much as I want to play all time favourites of mine like MK64 and F-Zero X online, I can't justify supporting this at the current price point.

The fact that people have been able to emulate the entire NES/SNES/N64 library for two decades now, whilst Nintendo keeps asking for more and more money for a drip-feed of select games, is completely bonkers to me. If you're going to charge a premium price, at least deliver a premium experience with the appropriate content. Nintendo can't even do the bare minimum that you would expect from them in 2021.

An extra $30 to play a handful of Genesis and N64 games that you can play on cheaper devices and not be limited by game selection. Does Nintendo even have a clue what their competition is? They don't exactly have exclusivity to retro games. They can get fudged.

MetatronLives

Neo Member
Xbox Live Gold has been $59.99 per year for a long time. It was only a matter of time before Nintendo caught up to the "industry standard price." That said, $30 for some N64 and Sega Genesis games is a bit up there. However, I think if they are including the Animal Crossing DLC, it would make a lot of people happy if they said future Nintendo DLC will also fall under that same category, and you just have it as long as you pay for that tier of subscription.

If they're really charging $40 more for this, they SERIOUSLY need to offer more than just emulated ROMs and DLC you'd be better off doing a one-time purchase for. Heck, even if they brought back the internet browser, voice chat, and Miiverse and put it behind that paywall, that'd make more sense than, well, literally NOTHING.

UnNamed

Banned

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You’ll still hold value in your system and collection. So you could always sell and get most of your money back or more depending on what you buy and when. If the N64 is just a passing curiosity then it’s logical to pay for something you won’t play much. But if N64 is your jam them buying the system makes more sense in the long run.

And I would agree. Always prefer to buy physical when possible.

However, the point the person I responded to was trying to make was that it was cheaper to buy an original console + games, which sadly is not the case. This is still the best deal you can get for these titles.

Imagine a guy who already bought Starfox 64 on Wii, have to rebuy the game because Nintendo is not willing to export his Nintendo account over WiiU AND Switch, but they are so benevolent to let you spend another 30$ to play them:
You can transfer your Wii Virtual Console games to the Wii U ... for a price | VentureBeat

For this shitty moves I think Kotaku is right to think it's ok to play the new Metroid on a emulator.

The issue isn't playing games on an emulator. The issue is piracy. Taking games you *do not own* and playing them. AKA theft. This is what Kotaku was promoting. If Kotaku simply suggested people play Dread (or other switch games you have legally purchased) via an Emulator, then no one would have batted an eye.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do people not think anymore? I'm saying this argument doesn't apply to this tier. The entire topic is about this tier. You can't use the same arguments with it.

Except your "argument" makes no sense. It still is the cheaper subscription service at 20 USD to access online games compared to the other two major competitors - y'know, the entire point of that statement? This hasn't changed and so that argument hasn't changed. You literally don't know what you are talking about, mate.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Xbox Live Gold has been $59.99 per year for a long time. It was only a matter of time before Nintendo caught up to the "industry standard price." That said, $30 for some N64 and Sega Genesis games is a bit up there. However, I think if they are including the Animal Crossing DLC, it would make a lot of people happy if they said future Nintendo DLC will also fall under that same category, and you just have it as long as you pay for that tier of subscription.
The ‘industry standard price’ for Xbox and PlayStation includes standard basic features like online handles & friends lists, messaging and voice chat.

PS and Xbox give you discounts in sales if you have their subscription services, and in PlayStation’s case these are good discounts.

PS give away better quality games with Plus, and have the Plus collection for PS5 users. Xbox don’t give away great Xbox One games, but they let you keep Xbox and 360 games after your subscription lapses and have given away some of the best Xbox and 360 games through Gold.

If Nintendo want to charge the standard price, they need to match the other services at least. Personally I could stomach £50 a year if they had the handles, friend lists, messaging and voice chat and if GB, GB Colour and GBA games were included without the drip drab (I.e full Netflix style catalogue).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The ‘industry standard price’ for Xbox and PlayStation includes standard basic features like online handles & friends lists, messaging and voice chat.

PS and Xbox give you discounts in sales if you have their subscription services, and in PlayStation’s case these are good discounts.

PS give away better quality games with Plus, and have the Plus collection for PS5 users. Xbox don’t give away great Xbox One games, but they let you keep Xbox and 360 games after your subscription lapses and have given away some of the best Xbox and 360 games through Gold.

If Nintendo want to charge the standard price, they need to match the other services at least. Personally I could stomach £50 a year if they had the handles, friend lists, messaging and voice chat and if GB, GB Colour and GBA games were included without the drip drab (I.e full Netflix style catalogue).

I don't think there is much of a reason for messaging/voice chat when most people just use Discord or other applications anyhow. Digital discounts also don't really mean much either.

What they should do is what Sony and Xbox have done. Where you can get priority purchase on consoles, accessories, etc if you are a subscriber. While Nintendo does do *some* of this, it is for overpriced novelty controllers. Give us discounts on physical items. The next Game and Watch or priority access to limited edition releases as they almost always go out of sale super quickly.

As for PSPLus Collection and Games With Gold - its great if you are on a budget or are new to the system, but for long time owners they are jokes as, chances are, you already have all the major AAA first party releases that interest you as well as the few indie games. Couple this with PSNow and GamePass, the PSPlus/GWG stuff really means nothing anymore.

If it wasn't for the AC DLC bundle, I wouldn't find anything here really worth the 50 USD a year, but if they gave me the scalper protection/early access purchases and increased the game releases to every month or two? I feel they could sway a lot more people.

Last edited:

GriffinCorp

I was really excited about getting to "finally" have N64 games on Switch. But I can't believe they more than doubled the price. Honestly, I haven't played switch online in over a year, just play their older SNES titles. I will watch and see how these titles review and see just how many games Nintendo plans to bring to the table but I sign up.

The N64 was one of my top consoles of all time. It pulled me into gaming when I was a kid.

I know this price brings them in line with PS/Xbox, which I already have and play online a lot more. Time will tell but at least we're finally going to have some love for the N64 on Switch.

S0ULZB0URNE

Now only if the online features would catch up to "industry standards"

HiroKama

Neo Member
Adamant as it was eagerness begets even the strongest elephant.

1 month : 3.99 - 6.99

3 month : 7.99 - 10.99

12 month : 19.99 - 49.99

HiroKama

Neo Member

I hope they consider fixing the 3 payment options at least that will soften the blow.

Otherwise they might do what they did with the release of the Nintendo 3ds and make a modest price cut.

Anyone know how these games will run on switch? I'm guessing they will run exactly like they did on the n64...so 30 fps (sub 30 really) for Ocarina? Will they be 720p handheld/ 1080p docked at least? If they were 60 fps and if the library was much larger or if it was the same amount of n64 games but also had gamecube games, then I could see this being a better value.

As it is now this "drip feed" approach will continue since this is a service they want to have more games to "look forward to" to get people to renew their sub. Fuck man gamecube should be a part of this too if they are going to slowly release stuff.

Astral Dog

Nintendo needs to put in the value and offer more if they want to be same price as NeoGAF Gold

Last edited:

Wait wait wait, let me try to get the math right here.

At 10.99 for a 3-month, 12 months would be... about $44.
So not only did Nintendo set a bad price, they actually screwed up the price tiers by making the 3-month model cheaper than the 12-month model.

This is all kinds of WTFery.

Mr Branding

I see every ytuber cry about this online, which is fair since even 20 was kinda meh for their services.
Let’s see how many ppl actually vote with their wallets in this case.

Top Bottom