• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch final display boxes show up retail

GulgTDjl.jpg

edit
Isotope beat me to it

Yeah, I like this one way more. Reminds me of the PS2 box.. or at least one of the boxes. I think it was mostly blue?

Fliesen

It is beautiful. Mysterious, stylish, bold. Kind of how Sony would advertise themselves in the early PS2 era.

Sony was in a different situation. They had established a behemoth of a brand with their original Playstation, so the box could get away with just saying "P S 2"

Seeing as Nintendo is trying to sell a new console, with a new name - succeeding the branding failure that was the Wii U - they need to show the product.

The main reason why they're showing the product is to display the modes of play: TV Mode with JoyCons in grip and, then, Portable Mode.

The box brings across this to customers not in the know. Depends on what side is facing the customer is displays though...

Rezae

Perfect. No idea why Sony ever strayed from the iconic blue PS2 minimalist packaging. I love this kind of look, including on game cases too. The less, the better. Really jumps out in a sea of crap.

edit: Oh the U.S. gets the box for dummies huh? I can't tell what's going on.. some images are loading some aren't.

Nice I guess. It's just a box I'll throw away and never care about.
Cmon, you don't let your new console boxes linger around for awhile when you get a new system? Might as well look good doing it.

I still use the Wii one with its two shelves to hold my old GBA games.

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm glad Nintendo is going back to the red/white color scheme. The white/blue/silver color scheme of the Wii/Wii U days just never really felt right to me.

Perfect. No idea why Sony ever strayed from the iconic blue PS2 minimalist packaging. I love this kind of look, including on game cases too. The less, the better. Really jumps out in a sea of crap.

edit: Oh the U.S. gets the box for dummies huh?

Pretty sure that everyone gets that box. The one people are foaming at the mouth for is a "custom" console from the Japanese web store. The retail version looks the same for all regions if I'm not mistaken.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i like it but it bothers me that we don't see it with the joycons attached. needs to have it with both the joycons attached in handheld mode and it docked with the joycons detached.

i know it shows it on the side but it needs to be on front.

Fliesen

i like it but it bothers me that we don't see it with the joycons attached. needs to have it with both the joycons attached in handheld mode and it docked with the joycons detached.

i know it shows it on the side but it needs to be on front.

totally. Where's the kickstand love?

what-ok

i don't get the hard-on for the Japanese box.

As some have pointed out, it's not the box that will sit on retail shelves in Japan.
And a retail box needs to show the product. Even minimalist-as-fuck Apple puts their product front and center on their packaging. A shoe box won't sell a 300 bucks piece of hardware.

As for the display box in the OP, i like the front, i'm unsure about the back. I wouldn't have minded them putting more emphasis on the 2 other "modes" (kickstand and handheld). Right now, the back doesn't show a mode you can game in, but rather the transitional phase. The kickstand is nowhere to be seen.

It's a matter of taste and design. Design might be approached objectively but it's more common for many to take a subjective stance. The promotion preceding the box art release in Japan may be different than other regions. In Japan they are reaching people who already know what the Switch is and a beautifully designed box says a lot to a generation that cares more about modern aesthetics. Something as simple as the colors RED and WHITE represented in the Japanses flag make a statement and there is so much more to the design than many may not appreciate outside of Japan.

Milennia

going to see logan then picking this up in the same night, pure bliss

my favorite launch boxes are limited to the 360 and probably the wii.

Pinky

Banned
Who cares what the box looks like in all honesty. It's not going to result in more sales.... would it?

The company trying to sell their product certainly cares. You want your packaging to draw the attention of the consumer, no?

But how could anyone here know how it'll affect any sort of bottom link.. you know? Not like anyone here would be swayed based on the packaging anyways.

No one here would be swayed because this is a forum for gaming enthusiasts. What about the average parent or casual gamer who's looking for a new gaming device? Those are the ones you need to grab the attention of with your packaging material/design.

Top Bottom