• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

KtSlime

Yikes, good thing I'm only using this for occasional multiplayer, and the wife has tiny hands so the joycon controller won't be an issue, so a single Pro controller will satisfy me for the generation.

According to the website, the battery life for each joy-con is about 20 hours, charge time 3.5.

For the sake of your health, please try to sleep during that time at least once a day. Don't forget to slide them into the machine before bed though, memory ability does decrease with lack of sleep. =)

This pisses me off.

It's something that started bugging me when I noticed Microsoft charging $75 for special edition controllers.

Controller prices have gotten out of hand in a big way, and Switch's prices just raised the ceiling. At what point are we going to say enough is enough? Will PS5 have $100 standard controllers? We're getting there folks.

Inflation

Arulan

This pisses me off.

It's something that started bugging me when I noticed Microsoft charging $75 for special edition controllers.

Controller prices have gotten out of hand in a big way, and Switch's prices just raised the ceiling. At what point are we going to say enough is enough? Will PS5 have $100 standard controllers? We're getting there folks.

The most innovative controller in twenty years, HD haptics, dual trackpads, dual-stage triggers, gyroscope and accelerators, and the best battery life I've ever seen in a controller: $50 (And is frequently on sale for $30).

ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.600x338.jpg

I agree though, a lot of controller prices have become absurd.

The most innovative controller in twenty years, HD haptics, dual trackpads, dual-stage triggers, gyroscope and accelerators, and the best battery life I've ever seen in a controller: $50 (And is frequently on sale for $30).

Well, if you pay for the batteries...

JPLMD

They are trying to push the console and its accessories into a "premium" position, Apple-style. Not sure they could afford to do this.

Yea agreed big difference is Apple does a much better job with marketing and at least uses more modern tech. I don't know what Nintendo is thinking they aren't the "Apple" of the gaming industry.

Absolutely insane prices.

pastrami

You guys just need the right perspective. $300 for the console is a steal considering you are getting almost $200 in accessories for free!

Nintendo is so generous.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wait, how do you people know that the grip included with the switch is not a charging grip? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

The charging grip's name is "Joy-Con™ Charging Grip". The Switch box includes a "Joy-Con grip." It's not a charging grip.

azyless

The dock is basically a USB-C to HDMI adapter plus hub. USB-C to HDMI adapters on average here in Japan run around 5000 yen. The charger is 3000 yen, plus a 1000 yen HDMI cable, that's 9000 yen. It is expensive, I am sure they manufacture it for less then they ask for, but it's probably not going to be something that sells much as most people won't need it.

The high price is the cost of it sitting on the retail shelf longer than other peripherals.
Tbh I thought there an HDMI output on the console itself, but even then either Japan is super expensive or your numbers are off because looking up Amazon.fr I get all this for like 40€ (not 70), and that's consumer price.

Wait, how do you people know that the grip included with the switch is not a charging grip? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.
*Looks identical*

From the Japanese site: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/accessories/index.html
"You can use "Joy-Con (L)" and "Joy-Con (R)" as a grip type controller.
Unlike the "Joy - Con grip" that comes with the main unit set, you can also charge "Joy - Con" while using the included USB charging cable, so you do not have to worry about running out of the battery."

Great Mario's Ghost, that's too much.

I thought 'switch will probably be cheaper than the other systems, so I can just buy a set of controllers for four players' but wow. No.

And paid online, ooh Nintendo...

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Joy-cons should be a LOT cheaper; Nintendo could make more money in the long run by selling special edition joy-cons for specific games, or joy-cons with different control layouts, special colors, etc.

They really missed the boat on this one.

Aalvi

Any source on the joy cons each having 20 hours of battery?

That's not bad at all and alleviates the problem I have with needing to dock it to charge it.

Nameless

$430 for Switch, Zelda, and a non gimmicky adult sized controller. Nintendo can lick my ass bloody. So glad that joke of a company never really got its hooks in me.

Polarbear

Banned

Yep. It was $30 for like 2 or 3 weeks. Fucking $40 more than that for the Switch Pro. Absurd.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I appreciate the Steam controller so much more now.

KtSlime

Tbh I thought there an HDMI output on the console itself, but even then either Japan is super expensive or your numbers are off because looking up Amazon.fr I get all this for like 40€ (not 70), and that's consumer price.

I don't know much about Nintendo Europe, but I hear they are very bad, and irrational, and slow, and don't care about their customers.

9000 yen is out of my price range for the dock, but since my apartment is super small, and I will be playing it on my morning commute, and don't even own a TV, I probably won't even use the supplied dock, as it is more convenient just to plug the charger straight into the machine and play portable mode at home.

Any source on the joy cons each having 20 hours of battery?

That's not bad at all and alleviates the problem I have with needing to dock it to charge it.

It says on the peripherals page on the Nintendo Japan website, I couldn't find it on NOA's site. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/specs/index.html#3

約20時間
※目安の時間です。使用状況によって短くなることがあります

Translation: Approximately 20 hours *This is an estimate of time, it may be shorter depending on use conditions.

You beat me to it. But wow, Google Translate is baaaad at Japanese.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If Person A wants mutiple peripherals for their Switch, and Person B only cares about using the Switch as a handheld, it really does make...sense?...for Person A to buy a second $300 Switch pack and then sell the bare Switch handheld to Person B for some amount between $108 and $299. The Switch can charge itself through USB Type-C and doesn't seem to require anything else it comes with to be used as a handheld.

It's interesting that it can be used totally on its own like that but isn't being sold standalone, since that would allow for much more aggressive pricing. Clearly it's a move to improve initial margins at launch. I expect the standalone handheld will be offered at some point after the launch window, though, probably at something like $200.

I can't really see it being sold for less than that, but if it is priced around there it will highlight even more, viscerally to consumers at a glance, that the peripheral pricing isn't fair or sensible.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Jesus Christ Ninty...

The idea is to get more/new ppl interested in your new console, not alienate them.

(updated to reflect that the AC adapter and HDMI cable are included w/ dock)

So the Switch sells for $300 total.

•Nintendo Switch dock (w/ AC adapter and HDMI cable) - $90
•Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con (R) - $80
•Two Joy-Con strap accessories - $8
•One Joy-Con grip - n/a (charging grip $30)

= $178, not counting the non-charging grip, which is not currently priced separately.

A grip is necessary to use the JoyCon as a single controller and the grip is not pictured on the JoyCon standalone box, so the only equivalent to the bundled basic grip for now is the separate $30 charging grip. I imagine third party grips will be available at a range of prices, though most consumers will likely get charging grips for convenience, but since the straps sold separately are $8 and the charging grips are $30 it's reasonable to peg the basic grip at $15.

= $193

•Nintendo Switch console

...$107?

...that's not how this works. They are including individual markups on each accessory based on perceived sales. They will run a lower margin on the console bundle as they are more guaranteed sales.

...that's not how this works. They are including individual markups on each accessory based on perceived sales. They will run a lower margin on the console bundle as they are more guaranteed sales.

That's how a lot of journalists & most consumers would break it down. Regardless if that's the case or not.

Perceived value is a thing...

Nah, I've decided I'm not preordering this for shit. Fool me once with the 3DS, you can't fool me twice.

The thing will have dropped £70 in price and made online free by December. People literally won't go for this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

That's not how what works? I understand why the peripherals are priced how they are: Nintendo wants a functional, competitive price point for the Switch at $300, but also wants the highest margins it can possibly get away with for separate peripherals. They're pushing the limits of what gamers will stomach, but they're apparently willing to give it a shot. Maybe signaled to some degree by the success of the $150 Xbox Elite controller, though I don't agree with that assessment if so.

The standalone prices for each peripheral just don't make any sense when surveying what's included in the $300 bundle. People on a budget who are interested in the peripherals will be looking at grabbing a second $300 bundle and then heading to eBay to resell anything extraneous.

I can't think of a major console release where that has ever been a serious consideration until now.

mc emcee

Neo Member
Hmmmm maybe this has been answered already. So how exactly are we charging the charging grip/pro controller? Do we know if the non-charging grip won't feature the same charging port?

...because it's not just a charging cradle. It's what facilitates the tablet to TV function.
So it's a glorified charging cable with an HDMI port just because they couldn't be bothered with slapping a port on the tablet?

Like, technically there should exist a version of this console without the dock, and instead an HDMI port on the tablet itself, that costs roughly $200.

....so it's not just a charging cradle. It's also what facilitates the tablet to TV function. lol
That's not $90 of value, especially taking into consideration the way everything else adds up placing the tablet at a value of around $100...

That's made even more funny considering the Wii U tablet did nothing but stream content from the Wii U, and it cost $112, whereas the Switch's hardware is all tucked inside its tablet.

Top Bottom