• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

xrnzaaas

Controllers are way too expensive these days considering their quality, but these prices are just insane unless they're using some super expensive materials to build them.

Voyr

Banned
Hmmmm maybe this has been answered already. So how exactly are we charging the charging grip/pro controller? Do we know if the non-charging grip won't feature the same charging port?

I'm thinking the same charging port used to charge the included joycon grip is also what's used to charge the non-included joycon charging grip. I haven't seen anything about a separate charge dock for grips.

Lebron

It's like they know they aren't going to sell high numbers, so they activate the buffoonery price upcharge to offset that

Voyr

Banned
So it's a glorified charging cable with an HDMI port just because they couldn't be bothered with slapping a port on the tablet?

You want a HDMI port on a tablet that's also supposed to also function as a charging method? Now who's getting expensive?

Like, technically there should exist a version of this console without the dock, and instead an HDMI port on the tablet itself, that costs roughly $200.

I disagree. No one had a problem with the Switch's premise/functionality until the price was revealed. Now we're talking about eliminating what makes it a Switch because of pricing.

That's not $90 of value, especially taking into consideration the way everything else adds up placing the tablet at a value of around $100...

I'd rather let the market decide that, and I dont doubt it'll eventually work out for most people.

Kssio_Aug

LoL.
Pro Controllers 70 dollars, Joycon 80 dollars.

I'd rather get the Pro, and that's still expensive.

Seriously... they should stop revealing things today. One worse than another.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Wow..... There is no reason for a Pro controller to cost $70. They are out of their minds.

Hmmmm maybe this has been answered already. So how exactly are we charging the charging grip/pro controller? Do we know if the non-charging grip won't feature the same charging port?

The materials so far would suggest USB C for those, but no official word yet.

Knurek

Wow..... There is no reason for a Pro controller to cost $70. They are out of their minds.

Might be worth that price if it's compatible with existing Mayflash adapter and has a comparable (or better) battery life than Wii U Pro Con.
Do we know anything about Switch Pro Con battery life?

Dinjoralo

Why the hell does the pro controller still look like a fucking prototype? Seriously, if they're gonna charge such a ludicrously high price, at least make the thing look nice.

sonto340

I'm not sure if I understand it.

50 dollars for ONE joycon (Left OR Right)? And they sell for 80 dollars the pair?
Pretty standard merchandising.
Get a discount for bundling or pay the higher price over two separate transactions of it works better for your budget.

StereoVsn

Might be worth that price if it's compatible with existing Mayflash adapter and has a comparable (or better) battery life than Wii U Pro Con.
Do we know anything about Switch Pro Con battery life?
There is nothing wrong with the battery life of the Wii U Pro controller. Also not all games will have motion controls. The decision not to support existing controller is a bit of BS but expected.

NEO0MJ

I know these things come with more stuff inside than the usual controller but they must realize it's too damn high, right?

Chindogg

There's a battery in the grip that charges the Joycons. The grip has a USB-C port to charge it and play wired.

Kssio_Aug

I'm latin american (brazilian), and here maintaining a XB1 or PS4 is already hard and expensive. Accessories, games and service signatures, they're all expensive nowadays.

Nintendo consoles always were more expensive to sustain. Their games almost don't drop price, I had to buy a charger for my N3DS XL in the other side of the globe cause they don't sell their stuff in Brazil.

Nintendo Switch places prices in a new level. Everything seems so expansive! These accessories are expensive as fuck, their console is super expensive, and they're also adding a online paywall without even the benefits MS/Sony are offering.

There's no way a medium user can sustain this console here in my country. I did not expect Nintendo to go this route after Wii U fiasco.

H3xum

Man alive. Call me old fashioned or a romantic but I never expected this sort of raking over the coals from my precious Nintendo.

Stole this from Twitter

C2B4H3sVQAQbQXj.jpg:large

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They're doubling down on the mistakes of the Wii U hardware, it's baffling

Only saving grace is you can actually get and use multiple joy cons.

You have no idea how many times my kids fought over using the Wii U game pad in multi player games.

mrback

Not in the one that comes with the console though, that one is just a plastic that holds them. The charging one is 30 bucks.

I dont think thats correct. I'm sure the one that comes with it charges the joycons. how else would you charge it???

Are you fucking joking? $70 for a standard controller so I can play my games normally.

You're out of touch Nintendo, and yes that saddens me.

Santiako

I dont think thats correct. I'm sure the one that comes with it charges the joycons. how else would you charge it???

You slide them into the tablet while docked. I asked the same thing and they showed me the info a couple of pages back. The grip included is not a charging grip unfortunately.

According to the website, the battery life for each joy-con is about 20 hours, charge time 3.5.

For the sake of your health, please try to sleep during that time at least once a day. Don't forget to slide them into the machine before bed though, memory ability does decrease with lack of sleep. =)

Well multiplayer will only be occasional so she and the joycons are fine. I'll keep my pro controller plugged in and try to remember your advice to sleep.

It's just a charging cradle with an HDMI out, certainly not 90 bucks worth of stuff:

I'm pretty sure I read it has a fan too. So, you know, don't forget to add that in.

Cday

Banned
They're neat little things but what the fuck?

So if you want to play that Arms game 2 player you'll need to pay $160 + the game. Nevermind. They only cost $10 more than a Wiimote did. Dock is still ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree. No one had a problem with the Switch's premise/functionality until the price was revealed. Now we're talking about eliminating what makes it a Switch because of pricing.

That's. It true. There were plenty of people who dont care for portable gaming saying it was going to end up underpowered and overpriced as a console because if a feature they won't use.

I'm a sucker for Nintendo so so I got a preorder in at BestBuy on one last night. But I'll be doing a lot of hand wringing between now and launch on whether to keep it largely because of price and especially pro controller price.

Top Bottom