• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

collige

Banned
I'm assuming this has been discussed, but apparently the Pro Controller has HD Rumble, hence the price. Still not happy with $70, but I guess there's at least a reason for it.

There's two other controllers on the market with haptic feedback and neither of them cost $70.

BahamutPT

Hahaha what's the point of them then!?! WTF NINTENDOOOOO

Well... the point is being able to check your Player # and battery level even when connected.
As for the point of the Grip, I think its just to be more comfortable and compact, to feel like a regular home controller.

And at least this way the Grip won't draw power from the Joy Cons.

Not sure if in-topic but... do we know HOW do the JoyCons actually charge?

I mean, I see no electrical plugs in them, unless I'm missing something by the way. Inductive charging tech maybe, or what else?

Proprietary connectors in the rail system.

----

Here's LKD on the Pro Controller having no headphone jack:

hey laura! is there any information about a headphone jack on the pro controller?

@LaurakBuzz 100% no headphone jack

---

Well... the point is being able to check your Player # and battery level even when connected.
As for the point of the Grip, I think its just to be more comfortable and compact, to feel like a regular home controller.

And at least this way the Grip won't draw power from the Joy Cons.

I meant the point of the holes. How can it show what player you are if it's just tubes redirecting light from a single source, and not electronics lighting up a specific light for player number?

YBdisk

If you run out of charge and want to play while the controller is charging it would be an issue though

Yep. The Switch box doesn't seem to contain a cable for the included grip. So I'm guessing that specific grip doesn't charge or you need to buy the cable. I only see this being an issue for someone who uses his/her own Joy-cons on another Switch (or multiple Switches) without being able to charge and getting home for a session without any battery left.

For commuting gamers the Switch will run out of juice waaay before the Joy-cons do.

BLL33.gif

Is there anything to back this up or are you just guessing? (WiiU Pro Controller incompatible with Switch; for reference)

Nintendo specifically saying they're distancing themselves from the Wii/Wii U brand for starters. Then the whole deal where the Wii U Pro Controller is missing just about every feature needed to play Switch games, which the Switch Pro Controller has.

Things the Switch Pro Controller has the Wii U Pro Controller doesn't: accelerometer, gyroscope, NFC, HD Rumble, possibly IR Camera.

Nah, they think because they pay $27.80 monthly on their $150 phone bill for 24 months then get fucked on a trade-in once a new marginally better device is out they're not actually paying the $800 cost of the phone. Unfortunately console manufacturers have no way to play the same fiscal mind games.
I pay $200 for a phone and eat a two year contract to do so. Fuck those stupid ass plans.

I'm pretty well off financially at the moment, but that doesnt mean I'm just going to give nintendo a pass on these prices. I can afford them no problem, but why would I pay up

azyless

I meant the point of the holes. How can it show what player you are if it's just tubes redirecting light from a single source, and not electronics lighting up a specific light for player number?
There are 4 little LEDs on the Joycon's sides, it's not a single source.

SystemUser

Prices really are ridiculous. Especially since you need two joy-cons or a pro controller to play some Switch games. (I highly doubt Zelda or Xenoblade or any other big game can be played with a singly joy-con.)

Well thankfully the system comes with two JoyCons, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

Zelda and Xenoblade are both single player games and the Switch includes two (2) JoyCon. Neither of those games requires that you buy another controller. Multiplayer games are the problem.

There are 4 little LEDs on the Joycon's sides, it's not a single source.

Whaaaaat how did I miss this I thought there was just one, WTF

Yep gonna go with you being totally right on that one. JoyCon Grip is just a damn waste in every way. The Charging Grip should be the only Grip. Goddamn.

Zelda and Xenoblade are both single player games and the Switch includes two (2) JoyCon. Neither of those games requires that you buy another controller. Multiplayer games are the problem.

Yeah I know that, I was wondering if I was misunderstanding their question/problem because the Switch... obviously comes with two JoyCons, which are all that are required to play the games they listed. You don't need to buy anything more than a Switch and Zelda/Xenoblade to play them, don't know why they were complaining about needing another JoyCon for those games.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Dang. No headphone jack is a bummer. Wonder if I can use my PS Gold head set with the dongle plugged in the USB port on the dock?

I use headphones a lot when gaming when my fiance is working from home evenings/weekends.

Yes, I know it comes with two joys in the box. My point (which I admittedly didn't explain well) is that there will likely be multiplayer games that require both together, so the current prices are too much for what's being offered.

You can literally plug the DS4 into any USB Power Adapter with the dozens of micro USB cords you have laying around the house and still be able to play at the same time.

So? They weren't included with the console.

A DS4 lasts less than half the time a joycon does. Only one came with the system.

There is MUCH to knock the switch for, that it doesn't come with a secondary way to charge the controllers isn't one, when they have a 20 hour battery life.

I won't likely ever need to stop playing a game to charge the controllers. If I ever do, I still won't need to stop playing the game, because I can just switch to tablet mode and keep playing with them connected directly to the switch.

The pro controller price is absurd. ABSURD. I'm upset to hear that the triggers may not be analogue on the joycons, because they'll make gamecube VC a much more difficult thing to pull off.

The online service sounds *insulting*. 32 gigs of online storage is poor. System battery life sounds borderline adequate.

$80 for a pair of joycons, sounds completely fair.

'If you think about it, and buy all these things that you don't need, the system is really expensive!'

is NOT a logical way to knock the price. compare it to what you can get for the same money else where. I don't think it's priced as competitively as it should have been. But two controllers bundled with the system is one of the few clear positives.

PeterGAF

Banned
I don't think the Pro Controller being $70 is a big deal. PS4 and Xbox controllers cost about $60 and the Switch Pro Controller has an accelerometer and can read amiibos so I can see why it might cost a little more. Plus it's not the standard, default controllers. That's the Joycons. A pair of Joycons costing $80 is a bit steep in my opinion. But I have no issue with the $70 Pro Controller.

I could see the price coming down on them after launch.

Kinyou

Is the Joy con charging grip included? It's on the box, but not mentioned in the details.

Would be ridiculous to not include it since it seems kind of necessary if you want to play something like a zelda in a comfortable way on your tv.

Yes, I know it comes with two joys in the box. My point (which I admittedly didn't explain well) is that there will likely be multiplayer games that require both together, so the current prices are too much for what's being offered.

As of right now, we have only seen games that require one extra pair of joycons, either for four players all using one, or two players each using two (Arms). Other than bomberman, which supports up to eight players, each using one joycon. Complaining that an eight player game needs eight controllers, seems like an utterly bizarre thing to argue.

Because that's always been true. Unless you want to go back to micromachines on the genesis.

When I bought a Wii, I only bought one extra nunchuck to go with the three extra controllers... and I don't think I ever felt like I needed more.

Is the Joy con charging grip included? It's on the box, but not mentioned in the details.

Would be ridiculous to not include it since it seems kind of necessary if you want to play something like a zelda in a comfortable way on your tv.

The *none* charging grip is included with the system.

But playing with split controllers is if anything MORE comfortable. I used to love lying sideways on my couch playing Twilight Princess and Skywards Sword.

Spy

No, it's the comfort grip that's included. Not the charging grip.

Kinyou

The *none* charging grip is included with the system.

No, it's the comfort grip that's included. Not the charging grip.
Ah, I see. Comfort grip is good enough for me.

But playing with split controllers is if anything MORE comfortable. I used to love lying sideways on my couch playing Twilight Princess and Skywards Sword.
I'm just not sure what it will feel like to handle two analog sticks with split controllers.

As far as we can tell from Nintendo's site, the JoyCon Charging Grip is not included in the box. Just the normal JoyCon Grip is.

Ah, I see. Comfort grip is good enough for me.

I'm just not sure what it will feel like to handle two analog sticks with split controllers.
The only potential problem is the analogue stick position on the right joy con. I've had split handed motion controllers with analogue sticks on, and they worked great... but they both had the analogue sticks at the top.

PeterGAF

Banned
I also think complaining about the lack of a headphone jack on the pro Controller is dumb. I know the Xbox and PlayStation controllers have them, but the audio that comes through the controller is garbage. If you want to use headphones use a proper headset.

And I'm curious, does the switch support Bluetooth?

Spy

Yes on the dock. They seem to have a good battery life so it won't be too annoying I imagine but it still feels fucking cheap not to include it imo.
They might have good battery life but wasn't it mentioned they take 4 hours to charge?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I also think complaining about the lack of a headphone jack on the pro Controller is dumb. I know the Xbox and PlayStation controllers have them, but the audio that comes through the controller is garbage. If you want to use headphones use a proper headset.

Most people don't give a shit and just want an easy way to use existing headphones when gaming at times they need to be quiet.

If it supports Bluetooth and/or using headsets with USB dongles (when docked obviously) I'll be less annoyed though. Otherwise I can't use headphones as I just have TV and soundbar in my gaming room with no headphone jacks on either and I'm not investing in a wireless headset with an optical in base or whatever. So it just wouldn't get played while my fiance is working at home (her office is room next to my mancave).

Vuze

Nintendo specifically saying they're distancing themselves from the Wii/Wii U brand for starters. Then the whole deal where the Wii U Pro Controller is missing just about every feature needed to play Switch games, which the Switch Pro Controller has.

Things the Switch Pro Controller has the Wii U Pro Controller doesn't: accelerometer, gyroscope, NFC, HD Rumble, possibly IR Camera.
Fair points... but still sucks. WiiU pro controller is legit and I'm not going to pay a premium price for a 'standard' controller. Joy von combo doesn't look too comfy tho...

Kaelan

Doesn't justify the lack of a basic feature.

dreamfall

No headphone jack and still $70?! How in the actual fuck...

Look, I'm excited and pre-ordered the system and everything but this controller price is inexcusable...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
They might have good battery life but wasn't it mentioned they take 4 hours to charge?

Spec sheet says 20 hours battery life, 3.5 to charge from zero to 100%.

It is an annoyance for sure, but few are going to game 20+ hours in a day (assuming the spec sheet is accurate) so as long as you hassle with removing them from the grip and putting them on the docked tablet after every long session they shouldn't die on you.

Definitely still annoying to me. I'll get a pro controller (or maybe just charger grip) eventually so I can just leave the joy cons on, I just can't justify it day one with the cost of those things and the console.

rtcn63

No headphone jack and still $70?! How in the actual fuck...

Look, I'm excited and pre-ordered the system and everything but this controller price is inexcusable...

I was watching GiantBomb's stream, and although the new Pro controller is the best "Pro controller" to date, it's still far behind in feel (and build?) from the DS4 and XB1 gamepad. Which can be found at half its cost regularly.

The audio's perfectly fine on my PS4 and XBO controllers, not sure what's wrong with yours. Having a damn headphone jack in your controller is standard in 2017 for God's sake. It's practically no cost to include one.

Zen Aku

So? They weren't included with the console.

A DS4 lasts less than half the time a joycon does. Only one came with the system.

There is MUCH to knock the switch for, that it doesn't come with a secondary way to charge the controllers isn't one, when they have a 20 hour battery life.

I won't likely ever need to stop playing a game to charge the controllers. If I ever do, I still won't need to stop playing the game, because I can just switch to tablet mode and keep playing with them connected directly to the switch.

The pro controller price is absurd. ABSURD. I'm upset to hear that the triggers may not be analogue on the joycons, because they'll make gamecube VC a much more difficult thing to pull off.

The online service sounds *insulting*. 32 gigs of online storage is poor. System battery life sounds borderline adequate.

$80 for a pair of joycons, sounds completely fair.

'If you think about it, and buy all these things that you don't need, the system is really expensive!'

is NOT a logical way to knock the price. compare it to what you can get for the same money else where. I don't think it's priced as competitively as it should have been. But two controllers bundled with the system is one of the few clear positives.

All I'm saying is your can charge a Dualshock 4 with basically things you most likely already have around the house. Yet in 2017 Nintendo is still using proprietary charger, that's some bull. Everyone keep quoting the 20 hours of play time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if 20 hours is only for 1 2 Switch or similar games. Anything else would be worst.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The audio's perfectly fine on my PS4 and XBO controllers, not sure what's wrong with yours. Having a damn headphone jack in your controller is standard in 2017 for God's sake. It's practically no cost to include one.

It's an audiophile thing. It is compressed etc. so for people who care greatly about sound quality it "sucks."

But as I said, I agree with you. For the vast majority it's perfectly fine as most don't care as long as it's static free and loud enough.

All I'm saying is your can charge a Dualshock 4 with basically things you most likely already have around the house. Yet in 2017 Nintendo is still using proprietary charger, that's some bull. Everyone keep quoting the 20 hours of play time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if 20 hours is only for 1 2 Switch or similar games. Anything else would be worst.

Well, there's an obvious reason why they're using a proprietary connection at least. I don't see how you'd have the joycons just slide on like they do if they were microusb or whatever. Maybe they could have added microusb in addition to the rail connections.

But I'm not going to argue the point that proprietary isn't annoying. It is.

Zen Aku

Well, there's an obvious reason why they're using a proprietary connection at least. I don't see how you'd have the joycons just slide on like they do if they were microusb or whatever. Maybe they could have added microusb in addition to the rail connections.

But I'm not going to argue the point that proprietary isn't annoying. It is.

Yes they could have added a micro usb port. It's my biggest complaint with the 3DS and the Vita.

Top Bottom