• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

wait the only way to charge the joycons is with the charging grip? like nothing included with the system charges them?

edit: nvm saw the post above

Believe me, I know all that. I started a thread that got to the bottom of all of it but it was locked because of...reasons?

It's just that its such an insane scrimpy thing to do, especially with showroom floor stuff possibly all being the Charging Grip, that it's hard to just take all the website and product details at face value.
I'm looking at pictures on the official Nintendo Switch page, and I really don't think a non-charging version of the joy-con grip exists. Compare images of the grip that's included with the console to the one sold separately.

There's no reason for them to have a version that doesn't charge.

What makes you think a worse version of it exists solely to exist with your initial console purchase, and cannot be purchased separately?

Lemaitre

Banned
I'll echo what a lot of people have already said:

Nintendo has not learned their lesson. I do believe Switch will do worse than the Wii U. Nintendo is on a downward trajectory.

I'm looking at pictures on the official Nintendo Switch page, and I really don't think a non-charging version of the joy-con grip exists. Compare images of the grip that's included with the console to the one sold separately.

There are multiple pictures on the last page of the grip that does not have a USB port, including official pictures from Nintendo. They also have different names. The one included in the box with the Switch is the JoyCon Grip. The one sold separately is called the JoyCon Charging Grip. If the Charging Grip was included in the box, I feel that they would have said so given that JoyCon Charging Grip is the official name of the product.

azyless

Literally a couple of posts above :
I mean you literally see no charging grips when you go to the Switch page on the japanese website.
Plenty of these though :
Nintendo_Commutateur_Nintendo.png

Nintendo_Commutateur_Nintendo2.png
I think people are in denial at this point, we'll see sooner or later.

What makes you think a worse version of it exists solely to exist with your initial console purchase, and cannot be purchased separately?

....but it can be purchased separately?

http://www.gamestop.com/nes/accessories/nintendo-switch-joy-con-comfort-grip-black/141859

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

A third party is making them already. I was linked to it in this thread.

Here we are

Zen Aku

When I bought a PS4 it didn't come with a separate way of charging the controller other than connecting it to the system, and it came with a super short cable. When I bought an Xbox One, it didn't come with a rechargeable controller.

The switch comes with two rechargeable controllers and a way of continuing to play games when they run out.

You can literally plug the DS4 into any USB Power Adapter with the dozens of micro USB cords you have laying around the house and still be able to play at the same time.

YBdisk

330 € console
70€ game
30€ charging grip

And my family is more than just two people, so it's actually 500 €, lmao.

Wait what?! Where are you from? Oh man, this isn't looking good. WiiU first party games are 50 here in the Netherlands. Yo Nintendo wtf are you doing?! You're upping the price AND letting those greedy EU retailers bump em even higher! Oh man, oh god, oh man.

I honestly think the charging grip is the one the irritates me the most

$80 for 2 Joy-Cons but you have to either spend $30 more to charge all your JC's at once and have a 2nd full controller or switch charging between the charging grip that comes with your unit

Seems insane to pay $110 for that

And as everyone else said $70 for the pro needs to be justified because the Wii U pro Controller is like $50 if not less and Xbox and PS offerings are $60 at most sans the elite

You can literally plug the DS4 into any USB Power Adapter with the dozens of micro USB cords you have laying around the house and still be able to play at the same time.

Could you do that with the DS3 too? I don't remember if it's my PS3 or PS4 but for some reason only the official USB that comes with the system will charge one of my controllers, can't remember which one though. REALLY annoying when I couldn't find a single other micro-USB cable in my house and my old roommate was using the one that came with the system for her external HDD ):<

And as everyone else said $70 for the pro needs to be justified because the Wii U pro Controller is like $50 if not less and Xbox and PS offerings are $60 at most sans the elite
It's been justified, it just sucks. The Pro Controller has NFC, HD Rumble, and apparently the IR Camera too. So $50-60 for the basic Pro Controller features with accelerometer/gyro, wireless, rechargeable battery, etc and then $20 more for HD Rumble and NFC and possible IR Camera too.

$60 for the Xbox controller that doesn't even have a fucking rechargeable battery is the one I've always had a problem with. I totally forgot one of my Xbone controllers just had normal batteries in it and I kept plugging it in waiting for it to charge for days until I finally opened it up.

I'm assuming this has been discussed, but apparently the Pro Controller has HD Rumble, hence the price. Still not happy with $70, but I guess there's at least a reason for it.

That isn't an official Nintendo-made product. Officially, Nintendo doesn't seem to sell the basic JoyCon Grip separately.

Fair enough. Still not exactly sure why such a thing exists, since if you're likely buying another set of Joycons (for like multiplayer gaming), the idea that you'd only be able to charge one set at a time without the extra $30 accessory is maddening. Especially for something that's already $80.

Wait what?! Where are you from? Oh man, this isn't looking good. WiiU first party games are 50 here in the Netherlands. Yo Nintendo wtf are you doing?! You're upping the price AND letting those greedy EU retailers bump em even higher! Oh man, oh god, oh man.

Germany. Zelda and Mario Kart are 69,99

nelo_inc

Way to expensive, i'm only interested in the Pro Controller but was expecting 30-40$.

And in Portugal i bet it will be 80€!

xxracerxx

Could you do that with the DS3 too? I don't remember if it's my PS3 or PS4 but for some reason only the official USB that comes with the system will charge one of my controllers, can't remember which one though. REALLY annoying when I couldn't find a single other micro-USB cable in my house and my old roommate was using the one that came with the system for her external HDD ):<

What? If you have the correct cable (they were different between the DS3 and DS4) you can charge it anywhere.

What? If you have the correct cable (they were different between the DS3 and DS4) you can charge it anywhere.

Yeah one is mini and one is micro, I THINK it was the micro since it also plugged into her external hard drive, but for some reason ONLY that cable would charge my controller. It drove me fucking crazy. I tried like three other cables and none of them worked and she was out of the country so I couldn't get it back from her. It was really weird. As soon as she got back I swapped cables with her and it charged fine. Never understood WTF was going on with that.

Has there been any confirmation yet if the Wii U Pro Controllers will work on the switch? It seems likely that they might.

Why would it seem likely? They're missing three major features of the Switch controller family (HD Rumble, NFC, and IR Camera)
Highly doubt it. Switch Pro has gyro, U Pro has not.

Oh yeah and gyro/accelerometer too.

xxracerxx

Has there been any confirmation yet if the Wii U Pro Controllers will work on the switch? It seems likely that they might.

Nah, son.

Yeah one is mini and one is micro, I THINK it was the micro since it also plugged into her external hard drive, but for some reason ONLY that cable would charge my controller. It drove me fucking crazy. I tried like three other cables and none of them worked and she was out of the country so I couldn't get it back from her. It was really weird. As soon as she got back I swapped cables with her and it charged fine. Never understood WTF was going on with that.
Sounds like you had a dud.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Spec sheet says about 20 hours, about 3.5 hours to charge.

Awesome. Pretty much a non issue then for me. I'll probably pass on a pro controller at launch and see how annoyed I get having to move the joy cons back and forth between the grip and tablet to charge before shelling out $70. If it doesn't drive me nuts I'll wait for someone to have the pro controller on sale.

Prices really are ridiculous. Especially since you need two joy-cons or a pro controller to play some Switch games. (I highly doubt Zelda or Xenoblade or any other big game can be played with a singly joy-con.)

Prices really are ridiculous. Especially since you need two joy-cons or a pro controller to play some Switch games. (I highly doubt Zelda or Xenoblade or any other big game can be played with a singly joy-con.)

Well thankfully the system comes with two JoyCons, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

xxracerxx

Huh?

Again, here is what is in the box:
U5e8mnf.png

ecosse_011172

Amazing how Nintendo just can't help themselves pressing the self destruct button.
Did no-one think that by maybe making a smaller or zero profit on the peripherals it might create goodwill and build up their sales base?
Seriously, after a massive flop console, is it just incredible arrogance that makes them do shit like this?

I'll have one day one as usual but it's so frustrating to see them do appalling shit like this.

TheYanger

I mean you literally see no charging grips when you go to the Switch page on the japanese website.
Plenty of these though :

Japanese charging grip perhaps? that first image it's small but you can see it has the 4 squares on each side to indicate the battery still. They're just not lit up.

Could just be a size difference for the region.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you run out of charge and want to play while the controller is charging it would be an issue though

True. But as long as the spec sheet is accurate and the Joy Con battery life is 20 hours it's not as big of a nuisance as I thought. Still annoying to me to have to attach to the tablet to charge, but I'll deal rather than buying a $70 controller right away (or $30 charging grip).

Japanese charging grip perhaps? that first image it's small but you can see it has the 4 squares on each side to indicate the battery still. They're just not lit up.

Both the JoyCon Grip and the JoyCon Charging Grip have the LED lights on them, to show battery level of the JoyCons themselves. If one of them didn't have the lights there would be no way to know when your JoyCon batteries were low when not plugged into the Switch itself.

Orbis

It comes with 2 joy cons, so Zelda and Xenoblade will both be playable without extra purchases.

rpmurphy

Amazing how Nintendo just can't help themselves pressing the self destruct button.
Did no-one think that by maybe making a smaller or zero profit on the peripherals it might create goodwill and build up their sales base?
Seriously, after a massive flop console, is it just incredible arrogance that makes them do shit like this?

I'll have one day one as usual but it's so frustrating to see them do appalling shit like this.
Wait what? Isn't the typical strategy to break even on the console but profit from peripherals and add-ons? I don't know which console does not have that model.

BahamutPT

Both the JoyCon Grip and the JoyCon Charging Grip have the LED lights on them, to show battery level of the JoyCons themselves. If one of them didn't have the lights there would be no way to know when your JoyCon batteries were low when not plugged into the Switch itself.

Actually the JCGrip "LEDs" seem like they're just tubes redirecting the light from the Joy Con's LEDs.

azyless

I don't think these are LEDs at all but rather light pipes (or just straight up holes), using the lights from the Joy Con itself. I also think it indicates player number rather than battery level (except they probably change to red when battery is low).

Turrican3

Not sure if in-topic but... do we know HOW do the JoyCons actually charge?

I mean, I see no electrical plugs in them, unless I'm missing something by the way. Inductive charging tech maybe, or what else?

xxracerxx

Not sure if in-topic but... do we know HOW do the JoyCons actually charge?

I mean, I see no electrical plugs in them, unless I'm missing something by the way. Inductive charging tech maybe, or what else?

I think it is proprietary tech.

Top Bottom